2016-02-14 16:48:52

Starlanes is a Sci-Fi MMORPG set in the far future. You join a faction and pilot your thoughtship from star to star deploying drones to conquer or reinforce the territory held by your team. It's pretty simple, but the fact there are other players doing the same thing requires coordination with your comrades and vigilance against your rivals.

To enable the game for your Echo, go to the "skills" tab in the companion app on your phone or browser. Search for "starlanes" and click "Enable" when you find it. After that, you can launch the game by saying "Alexa, open Star lanes".

This game is developed for the Amazon Alexa service and, so, from the ground up, is designed to be audio only. It isn't a video game with accessibility features. It is *audio only*.  Right now the Echo is almost the only hardware serving up the Alexa service. But other vendors are looking to hook into it. I've seen web and phone interfaces at the demo level.

I'm the developer of the game and am actively looking for feedback for both the interface and gameplay. There's a forum at http://starlanes.freeforums.net but I'll also add this forum to the list of places I monitor. Part of the objective I have in writing this game is to prove that the Echo can be a viable gaming platform. Since it's an audio-only device, any game for it is going to be an audio-only game. I think that objective meshes well with this forum!

2016-02-14 17:36:19

Hi, would you or someone please do an audio demo of this game. It sounds awesome.

2016-02-14 17:42:05

I've played this game before. It's just not my thing. This is more like an RTS than an RPG. With an RPG I want some kind of story, maybe combat etc. I'm also not sure how to work with other players in the game, seem to be just doing stuff on my own.
But, I do believe the Echo could be a gaming platform. I just don't want to see these intensive strategy games all over the place because this game started it, so now all games have to emulate this theme.

2016-02-14 19:34:29

Sorry, forgot I had a YouTube video of the game here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap8ZZ_xdN3s
Not much to see because, well, it's an audio game.

You might have another look at the game, Orin. It's been under continuous developer for a while. If it was a few months ago, there's probably some new features since then.

There's a lot more interactivity now. You are told when other players are playing, and when you happen to be at a system where other players are. There's no true real time interaction, because the platform doesn't really support that.

Messages can be sent from a faction leader to all members of a faction. And individuals can send messages to each other. Unfortunately you have to access the web interface for that. The Echo doesn't do free text entry.

Also new are a bunch of badges you can earn for doing things in the game, and a in-game currency system.

So it's moving along. Right now I'm working on a quest engine. I've got about two weeks left on that and then I can start rolling out quests. The first will be pretty simple. "Take a message to this location" and "Can you beat the top speed between these two stars". But once the feature is there I want to build it up into a larger story, Skyrim like. I dumped the initial chunks of a fictional story to the Starlanes forum. Interacting with the characters in that story is going to be the basis of the linked quest arc.

Overall I agree with your belief that the potential of the Echo as a gaming platform is beyond abstract strategy games. Certainly it's got to be more than the stupid fart joke skills that dominate it right now. I hope to grow Starlanes in that direction. Laying the groundwork for a basic strategy game is the first step.

One thing I get caught between is breadth or depth. You can only add so much to the audio interface before its recognition starts to get confused. To engage other forms of gameplay I want to also add trading and tactical combat. (Old prototype for the trading concept also on YouTube. Search "Jose Fabuloso Amazon Echo") However I'm more thinking to add in related games, StarTrade and StarSquad, that take place in the same universe, and whose actions affect one another. But I have to choose between building StarLanes deep, with more interesting and involved quests, or building it out with these other games and adding more diverse gameplay.

Opinions welcome!

2016-02-14 19:35:45

Hi.
I'm sorry, but I don't get from the first post what platform the game is made for, or how to get it on the phone. I don't have any Amazon service, so I'm not sure if I can play this... But sounds interesting.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-02-14 20:24:04

SLJ wrote:

I don't get from the first post what platform the game is made for

Sorry, I put it on the Subject line: The Amazon Echo. It's not a phone. It's a standalone speaker/microphone. They've kind of aimed it as a verbal front end to the internet of things. Or as a music streaming device. It has a Siri/Cortana/OK Google like interface as a personal concierge.  The big difference is that they let 3rd party developers add to it. I've added to it by writing this game.

They ran an ad during the superbowl. I haven't seen it, but give the wide audience, it can probably summarize who they are aiming at better than me.

2016-02-14 21:02:57

Projects like this make me want to buy an echo, despite the fact that it would be almost completely useless to me. lol

I'm probably gonna get banned for this, but...

2016-02-14 21:25:44

I'll definitely try this when I get home. This sounds interesting.

If a helicopter falls in the field and no one's around, it doesn't make a sound.

2016-02-15 10:45:25 (edited by SLJ 2016-02-15 10:48:40)

Wow. Thanks for your reply. Sounds really cool. I haven't heard much about this device. Time to see if I can buy this in my country.
Edit: Sadly, I can't buy it in my country yet. I look forward to hear others opinions on the game though.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2016-02-15 13:07:08

Hi jjaquinta.

This sounds absolutely awesome, I'm only sorry that it's just available on the amazon Ecco device, sinse I haven't heard of it either and being as I don't use amazon kindle or streaming service (I'm not keen on reading books with a synth voice for the text and last I checked Amazon music downloads  were a right royal pest access wise), I possibly wouldn't get one.

Then again if sean or anyone else has access to the device, I hope the game has lots of support and software written for it, I'm just sorry there isn't an Ios version, (lots of Vi people have Ios devices due to the implicit accessibility of voiceover).

Okay, now I've finished my personal platform winje, I will say the game sounds great. i've played tradewars style games online before, and while I'm more an rpg than stratogy fan I can see the advantage and attraction in the genre.
Personally, I'd love to see a space stratogy game with a lot of solo questing and exploring type stuff as an alternative for people like me who aren't competitively minded and would rather expand, explore and colonize than join in teams to defeat the competition, I'l also say that among blind/vi gamers, Rpgs are very! sought after sinse manifestly games like skyrim aren't accessible.

so, great news on the development front and on the game, I hope people who have this device give it a try, and if you ever come out with an Ios or pc port I'd be glad to do so myself too.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-02-15 20:27:18

Dark wrote:

Rpgs are very! sought after sinse manifestly games like skyrim aren't accessible.

Cool. I'm not particularly aiming at the vi market. It's just a happy coincidence since Alexa is audio-only. Sounds like maybe I should! Gotta make sure the website for sending messages is accessible...

Dark wrote:

I hope people who have this device give it a try, and if you ever come out with an Ios or pc port I'd be glad to do so myself too.

Hopefully I won't have to. The Echo is the hardware device that Amazon makes. They also run the Alexa service. That is what serves up the 3rd party skills. (Such as Starlanes.) Anyone with a device can hook into the Alexa service and serve it up. Not many people have jumped on board yet. But I did test out someone's beta for Android phones called "Roger". He said it was already released for iOS. So you might see if that is a reasonable gateway to Alexa services.

In the meantime I'll check out the developer forum here. If there are some easy STT/TTS kits of reasonable quality, I'll see if it is worth putting together an alternative front end. I've kept a nice separation layer in the code, so it wouldn't be that hard.

Thanks for the encouragement.

2016-02-15 21:16:21

Greetings!

Wondering how hard it would be to do an Android version, considering its also on the web.

If not an android app, have the web site be taylored for the Chrome web browser.

2016-02-16 12:33:09

If  you can work out an Ios frontend that would be awesome.
As to Vi market and games, well part of the reason that rpgs are so sought after is that virtually nobody! writes for the vi market big_smile. Or at least none of the big companies are the least interested in including accessibility or considering accessibility in games generally.

Audio is becoming more used recently thanks to a lot of Ipod culture, but generally it's always an experimental thing where it is assumed that the  very fact that the game is! audio is novelty enough for most sighted gamers, while the majority of Vi gamers go "well we played something like this twelve years ago"

So bottom line, more complexity in audio games is an advantage for everyone,  but particularly to Vi gamers, and Ios does have the advantage of a freely available way of voicing text sent to the ap directly, ---- while obviously audio and voice acting are better for cut scenes, text can be written on the fly and can be used for things like rpg or strategical stats, name entry or procedurally generated descriptions.

either way please keep us posted on both what your doing and also if there is a way of playing the game on other devices, (ios and pc would work for me and for many people, but there are several with android phones who might want to give this Roger thing a try if you could provide some instructions).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-02-16 15:30:06

I got to review Roger on Android in beta, but it's buggy and not that usable. I can't really release that information here. But I can ask the developer to do so once they want an open beta. It is, apparently, already released on iOS. Search for "Roger" and see what you get.

As far as Starlanes, I've actually written an Echo simulator for testing. I've been thinking and it wouldn't be too hard to write a general purpose front end to that, which would allow Alexa skills to be called through other mechanisms. There are three ways I could turn this around pretty quickly. Since this would be aimed at the vi community, I'd like your input on what would be most consumable.

1) Telnet interface. Kind of like your classic MUD. It wouldn't be hard to serve up an Echo app through a telnet server. You just type instead of talk. There are tons of telnet clients, and I'm pretty sure many of those are accessible. Is this something commonly done?

2) Standalone Java app. I could throw together a rich client app. Just a jar file you run that uses standard Swing Java UI. If this used a basic text box for input, and a basic scrolling text control for text display, would that work well with screen readers?

3) Web app. This is a little tricker, as there are many different web technologies. I'm doing a lot of current work with Angular, but it does a lot of real-time DOM manipulation and I'm not sure how well that would play with screen readers. But I could instead do a classic enter text in text box, submit page, and get new page result app. That would certainly play better. And, I guess, usability, in this context is all about working with screen readers, not fancy graphics. :-)

All of these should be platform independent. (Well, other than the rich client on a phone.) Does one of these work well, or is there another solution I haven't considered?

2016-02-17 09:08:26

I think number two would work with screenreaders.

Best regards SLJ.

2016-02-17 16:21:33

Hmmmm, last I heard the Swing Gui had been dropped by java and development had gone a bit wiffy. I've heard about people trying to write accessible games and such with swing, but I'm not sure any panned out.

Telnet was used a lot and still works fine on xp and other systems but is more problematic to access elsewhere, and most games played through telnet have now either gone web based (eg the old bbs legend of the green dragon), or have turned into muds, that is multi user dimention games which have their own clients, however if you wanted to put together a custom client with a telnet style connection there are some pretty good ways of accessing screen readers such as the toke library on windows.

Web based might work well considering that screen readers handle standard web pages no problem, though obviously anything flashy or graphical wouldn't be good.

I'm however probaably not the most technical person to ask on this subject, and I'd recommend asking in our developer's room or talking to some of the other devs such as Aprone who have successfully made very intigrated online audiogames, Aprone for example has done a great job with swamp, the first audio only cooperative online fps.

2016-02-20 02:03:07

OK. I've got a first draft primitive interface written. You can try it here:
http://tsatsatzu.elasticbeanstalk.com/sl/simple.jsp
The toggle between text-to-be-read and text-to-be-spoke isn't working. But it's stuck in "screen reader" mode. So that's fine for now.
Please give it a go and let me know if it plays well with screen readers. If so I'll tidy it up a bit. The typed-text recognition isn't as forgiving as the audio recognition on the Echo. It needs a logout button. Etc. I just want to make sure I've solved the basic problem before polishing the apple.

2016-02-20 14:51:51

@JAquinta  that's cool.
Actually it reminds me of star traders, which is an internet web browser version of an old tradewars style bbs game, find it here 

first, one miner bug when I entered "productivity" I got bounced streight back to the login page for some reason.

Obviously thus ar there is no sound and just the web form interface, but what there is is more than possible with a screen reader, though I might suggest that you consider having some command links or menues to save on typing at different locations. actually most modern screen readers are far more sophistcated and well able to handle a good deal more complexity web page wise, it's only stuff like custom flash controls and a alot of complicated self refreshing ajax scripts and the like that can be a pain in the arse, ---- not to mention the horribleness of a lot of flash controls.

The game thus far looks nice as stratogy games go, though as an exploration fan it'd be nice to see a little more in terms of atmospheric text and other stuff on systems beside basic production rates. I also wonder about mapping between systems, sinse that can be a trifle problematic in text games that have multi layered maze style, trade wars type layout. Then again, I don't know how limited starlanes is on fuel etc.

Either way, thanks for the web interface, I'll definitely be keeping a watch on where this project is going.

2016-02-20 15:23:46

Thanks for having a look at it. I see some exceptions in the log, and that's probably where you got booted. I certainly needs cleaning up.

The game does have sounds. However, they are embedded in the text. "Get ready to transition. <whoop whoop> Transition complete." I wasn't sure how to convey that to the screen reader. If it just plays them, they will come out of order.

It's a bit frustrating. I have an linear experienced audio game, which I'm trying to convert to a visual representation, that can then be converted back into an audio representation!

I do have a complicated ajax-self refreshing interface here: http://tsatsatzu.elasticbeanstalk.com/sl/
But it makes no use of the audio-ready text from within the game. And I figured screen readers would hate it.

Mapping? Ha ha ha. The map is very special. That's part of game play. The fact that the game is primarily played audibly rather than visually gave me the chance to do some things that just normally wouldn't work in a visual game. Effectively, as a player, you just know that this star connects to a list of certain other stars. It changes slightly based on the "tide" and range of your ship. But your experience of it is just a connected graph. Some scribble things down on pieces of paper. But most just learn the neighborhood. Only one player got so irrecoverably lost in the Outback that I added a feature to let you buy a teleport back home.

More detail in systems will come. I'm actually generating full planetary systems for each star, trade goods, and a whole lot more. The ultimate idea is to segregate different types of gameplay into related games. E.g. StarTrade, StarSquad, StarScout. All of which loosely interact with each other. I'm constantly struggling between adding depth or breadth. For the current iteration (3.0) I'm working on depth and adding a quest engine. After that I'll probably do a major internal refactor, and set it up so it's easy to pop out related games.

Thanks for looking at it!

2016-02-20 16:59:10

Hi.

Well I tried your ajax thing and for some reason couldn't read much of it, though i don't know how much is showing, so the textbox interface is probably the thing to go with.
In terms of sound, I just meant if you had any complicated html to play sounds in the actual web interface, but if not don't worry.

As to maps, connected grid points is a very familiar thing to most vi players who've played muds or text adventure games, sinse manifestly w'ere used to rooms and exits connecting to other rooms, indeed Core exiles, one of the best sf mmorpgs with great access features has a hole jumpgate system made on that concept. I just meant in terms of maps sinse you mention a graphical interface, if players using that got any advantages, if not, cool!

As to games and types of games.
I personlly am an exploration and questing fan more than competition slaughter. I've seen lots of stratogy games kicking around that have great info about new star systems, types of planets etc, but very few let you actually go out and do a startrek in terms of exploring strange new worlds or looking for new stuff, or having to cope with problems of exploration such as running out of fuel, so I'd definitely be a fan of that type of thing if it gets added in the future, actually I love the idea of an mmorpg game with various different sorts of activities for various sorts of players depending upon how things go, after all there is a huge amount of stuff you can have in a space environment besides the hole war thing.

2016-02-20 22:44:02

just got my echo about 2 days ago and loving the game so far I'm just wondering if there is somewhere where I can  find a basic list of commands for the game.
I went to the wiki however, there are so many links and such it's hard to know where to find just the different commands.
I can't wait to see what more is added to the game!

2016-02-21 03:54:29

krishna wrote:

just got my echo about 2 days ago and loving the game so far

Yay!

krishna wrote:

I'm just wondering if there is somewhere where I can  find a basic list of commands for the game.

The "help" topic on the wiki has a slightly-out-of-date list of commands:
http://starlanes.wikia.com/wiki/Help

If you say "tutorial", it will walk you through most of the basic commands of the game.
Also, Alexa has a "reprompt" feature. If you don't say anything for eight seconds, a skill may optionally prompt you with something. Starlanes uses this heavily to help educate people to the command set. Discoverability is really hard in an audio-only program! Or so I am finding. But then, I'm new to this.

For 3.0 I'm working on a quest engine. That should allow for missions and an overall plot above and beyond the strategic gameplay. Another future release will include further star system improvements, once you've maxed out your drone count. Things like refueling stations, extra drone bays, and a transition catapult to let you jump further. Other iterations will build out loosely interacting companion app. For example StarSquad will let you tactically attack a station and pit your drones against theirs at a low level. How you do will have an impact in StarLanes. StarTrade will let you buy and sell trade goods. You'll still belong to a faction and your trade privileges will depend on who owns the system in Starlanes. Certain improvements in Starlanes will affect trade in StarTade, and money in StarTrade can be used to support the cause in Starlanes. I've got a lovely, detailed geography for exploring for StarScout. (Exploration games are my personal favorite.) But I'm struggling with ways to arrange gameplay around this, and to interlace it with the other games.

The exact order of these improvements is up in the air. One does not necessarily preclude the other. I'll be throwing the ideas up in the forum once 3.0 nears feature complete and see what people think.

Thanks for looking into it!

2016-02-22 09:53:58

This is sounding good, especially Starscout.

One suggestion might be that when you have the trading up and running, the scouts both bring back new commodities and rare items to buy and sell to their faction, and also explore new systems and planets looking for both new colonies and new places for star bases etc that might be used in the war.

I'd love a game where I could actually manage a space colony but the main hazard was the environment, and my workers weren't just robots.
So for example, it always bothers me in space mmorpgs that you can just click on "build spaceport", assign some workers, throw some resources at it at it got done and can move on to the next project.
In reality the weather on your alien planet might knock it down, wildlife might attack your workers, you might find the ground too soft and need to emport more cement, some of your workers might get unhappy on that job and stop working as hard meaning you need to reassign them etc.

To me, that sort of managing the environment type of task, working dynamically to keep things running as you want and solving problems as they come (as indeed they would from the environment of an alien world), is a much more interesting prospect than just throwing in lots of numbers and then waiting to be attacked as is the case with most online colonization and exploration mmorpgs.

Same goes for exploring, (how many break downs, personell problems,  etc happened on BAbylon 5?),

Just some thoughts.

To begin, the quest engine sounds cool, particularly if you could create some sort of automated missions so that people who preferd doing quests wouldn't run out of stuff to do, then maybe consider adding other activities and different types of complexity to the game.
I love the idea of several games running in tandum in the same universe and letting people try whichever one of them they wished.

2016-03-29 04:58:46

This sounds absolutely fantastic. Lol how much is an Amazon Ecco in the UK if it's not too expensive I might have to get one just for this game lol. This sounds amazing.

I'm a big fan of games such as elite and x-beyond the frontier. It would be cool to have elements of both games in star lanes.

2016-09-28 06:52:40

Hi there.
I haven't got an Echo at the moment, what with owning an iOS device and trying to figure out if the Amazon Echo is something worth investing in. On the other hand, I really like that you are talking to a thing that talks back. It makes the whole thing feel a little more ... real? Is that the best word for a game?
At any rate, we have a plethora of MUDs, accessible via telnet, and all sorts of browser games. Even if this doesn't turn out to be that different, the big thing that I like about it is that it does allow that verbal interaction.
Messages may be something that could work by releasing an app, if you develop for mobile, that just deals with messaging and/or passive tracking.
I love your idea of having separate, independent games that all tie into one big universe. It sounds really fantastic.