2016-02-11 13:05:57

Hello everybody,
So, today, in a few hours, I am expecting my iPhone 6 to come. I told my cousin who lives in USA to order an iPhone 6, and he bought a 64 GB one, gold. When I held the iPhone 6 in my hands for the first time, I loved it because it was bigger than 5s or 5, plus it worked a little faster. 4.7 to 5 inches is ideal for me.
Now, I have to admit that I have no experience with apple devices. I used a Samsung galaxy for around 1 year and a half, and also got an iPhone 5s on my hands for around a day. It was fast and very accessible, but you know, you cannot explore all the areas of iPhone in a day. I watched a podcast of iPhone, particularly about iPhone with iOS 9, and there were many features I liked especially the new selection mode and the ability to use Siri voices.
So, I have some questions, what are any particular apps you would recommend to me, are any guides out there that explain in details how to use iPhone, is there a simple way to use itunes which drove me crazy when I tried to transfer a movie in my iPads friend, is there any game you would recommend to me, and whatever you may think is valuable to a beginner.
Any help would be really appreciated and I thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions.
Cheers!

2016-02-11 14:56:10

Afrim,
To help you get started, what I'd recommend is Apple Vis
THey have lots of great resources to get you started...
HTH

2016-02-11 15:03:58

Hi Afrim.

Funny you just got an Iphone 6. I recently ordered one for my lady and I've been trying to assist her with setup and learning how to use vo.

The phone is layed out with a notification bar at the top of the screen that has info like your mobile network sygnal strength, temperature, time etc, then under that the home screen (or if your running an ap the screen for what your running), with all the links on to open different aps and parts of the iphone.
When you have more aps that will fit on one screen your home screen will have multiple pages, however you also have
the dock at the bottom, where there are links to three or four perminant aps that will always be there no matter what page of the home screen your on.
You can double tap and hold to drag things around the home screen to move them into the dock or ontop of each other to create folders, or double tap and hold then double tap again to delete, (creating folders is a bit of a pain but it's useful when you have many aps and games and such).

At a pinch you can operate vo in a basic mode with just two gestures, the flick left and right, and the double tap. Flicking is a little like tabbing on a windows machine, it takes you through all elements on a page (including paragraphs and headings), while double tap is your accept. You can also read the hole screen top to dottom with a two finger flick up, or from your current position with a two finger flick down.

The first ap I'd recommend is getting the looktell vo tutorial which will introduce all the gestures and a little about how to use the phone with a couple of games (it's description of the phone screen is a trifle out of date given the buttons have different names in Ios nine eg answer instead of accept call but it's still useful).

To do this find the ap store on your home screen and double tap, then flick to "search and double tap" you will then have a search box appear asking you for text so flick to the keyboard letters and enter looktell vo tutorial (you won't have to type all of this), then flick through the results and double tap on the "get" button then on "download"

The tutorial will take you through most of the necessary vo gestures including more advanced stuff like the roter, and has a few minigames to help you get used to the finger movements.

If you go into the settings menu, hit general, then accessibility, then voiceover, then find the link to "voiceover practice" you can  try out vo gestures (I've tried this on my fiance who found it rather useful), this will let you perfect your technique and also tell you what gesture your doing and also what it does in terms of vo commands, which is useful on several lessons.

Then, don't forget siri. Enable siri in settings > general > siri. hold the home button down until you hear a bing, then release and say what you want, and siri will do it (you can also set hay siri to your voice so that you can use siri without holding the home button when the phone is plugged in). Siri can display help files, bring up screens on the phone, start aps and also do other useful things such as phoning different contacts or telling you the temperature, all in all very useful if your a lazy person like me big_smile.

The only funny thing to remember with the Iphone is that once you hit the home button to shut and ap and go back to the home screen, the ap isn't actually shut, it's still running in the background. Hitting the home button twice will bring up the ap switcher and you can flick left and right through various running aps and do a three finger flick up to close them (it's a good idea to do this ocasionally so you don't have male and ap store and settings and phone and goodness knows whatever else all running together taking up your phone's ram).

As to other useful aps, blindsquare is one I've got a lot of use out of. Basically, it tells you what shops, roads etc are around you and what sort of thing they are. So when walking along it'll say things like "your address is 22 whatever street, intersection with random road in 25 m at twelve O.clock, sandwich place, subway at 9 o.clock"
It's not exactly a satnav, it won't give you routes to places, but is great none the less.

As to getting used to the phone itself, I'd recommend personally finding some games to try out so you can explore vo and how it works and learn while you have fun with it. All of the choiceofgames and hosted games titles are available on Ios and will help with listening to and operating vo, what you will enjoy will depend upon your genre preference obviously, but I'd personally recommend fatehaven and samurai hyuga from the hosted games, and mecha ace and choiceof robots from the choiceofgames.

A dark room and the ensign are awesome rpg games, though start with a dark room. they've been optimized with vo in mind so are very! accessible, and addictive, though start with a dark room (particularly sinse the ensign is intendede to be a hard game).

King of dragon pass and Adventure to fate battle arena are great rpgs, but both have slightly more complex interfaces so should be handled with caution, similarly Silver sword is now accessible but has a lot oin terms of interface to play with and I confess I've personally not investigated it as yet.

There are some mmorpg type battle games if those are your thing such as turf wars (a mafia game), and solara, which has elements of building and battling and is imho rather a lot of fun (solara is a game I've enjoyed myself).

In audiogames, there are the games from somethinelse such as pappasangre 1 and 2, nightja and audio defense zombie arena. Apparently these are no longer supported but they do still work in Ios 9, (and some more sales might encourage the developers to support them more).

Ticonblu also have Ios versions of all of their games such as the inquisitor,space encounter, flarestar  etc, which I have.

There are a lot of more simple games too, lost cities is a hugely fun and deceptively simple strategical card game,  while the blindfold series has some nice entries if you want a qick game, from card and puzzle games to some rather cool audiogame versions of classic arcade games (their breakout is rather a lot of fun especially using the phone gyro).

Hth.

I'm afraid sinse I have found Itunes to be the spawn of satan, I don't use it at all, sinse even if I bought something on my phone I'm not prepared to just have it on there and no way to get it out of itunes (and itunes on a pc is pure evil), so I can't help with that sort of thing.

Any other questions let me know.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-02-11 16:27:41

1.  forget jailbreaking; leave that for another time, no matter who trys to convince you otherwise right now.  It sounds cool, but unless you really know what you're doing and what you want from your iOS device, there's really no point.
2.  Since you won't be jailbreaking, don't be afraid to try anything and everything at least once.  There are tons of fre apps for different purposes, from gaming to color identifying, to creating reminders for yourself if you don't care for using what is natively on iOS.  it may seem you need to pay for something, but chances are that, with a wide variety in the appstore, you may be able to find another app that does just as well as, if not better than the one you were intending to buy.
3.  Familiarize yourself with iTunes on your computer.  You may not need it for everything, but if you do this, it'll make your life easier in some regards, and it's not as bad as some people make it out to be.  I certainly don't use it as my primary media player on windows, nor do I intend to start doing so, but it does make dealing with your iOS device intuitive and, in some cases, fun.
4.  Swipe, don't slide.  You may be tempted to explore your screen by poking around or simply sliding your finger from here to there.  While this is a good practice once you want more detail about where items actually are, it's not practical for dealing with daily tasks.  A quick swipe to the left or right will take you through items in iOS similarly to how you would view a list with a screen reader on windows.
5.  Use Siri.  Siri is useful.  Enable immediately to still have control of your life on iOS even if voiceover is off.  From being able to launch apps to searching for information and apps, you will find yourself using Siri to some degree at the very least.
6.  When changing settings on iOS native apps and even on many that aren't, don't be discouraged if you don't find a button that allows you to save changes.  Unlike windows or other operating systems, iOS simply requires that you chekc and item here, uncheck an item there, or set a slider to a desired value before exiting the menu.  Upon exit, your changes will be saved.
7.  Set your home button to toggle voiceover.  I have seen iOS devices have this already turned on since the iPhone 4s, but not all of them do.  Once you have voiceover working, go to your home screen, find settings, general, accessibility, accessibility shortcut.  This should be a button that, when pressed, will bring up a configuration  menu.  Doubletap the voiceover option, which will enable you to quickly press the home button three times to toggle voiceover.  find the back button and doubletap it to exit, then feel free to try it out.  if, for some strange odd reason this does not work as outlined in this writing, use Siri to turn it back on and try again.
8.  Voiceover, on top of being exceptionally helpful and communicative with its various tips on how to interact with just about anything on iOS, also has a hands on tutorial where you can practice gestures.  Get to know what you can do with your phone and the situations in which you might use certain gestures.  For example, the previously described back button which can be found in most settings dialogues is usually located near the upper left hand corner of the screen, but not quite on it.  You may find yourself on the status bar if you go up too high, which will present you with information about your service provider, your WiFi network, your date and time, and your battery.  For this reason, it's a bit more practical to use the scrub gesture, which is an up and down brushing motion you perform with two fingers on your screen, sort of like trying to wipe something off of it.  Another alternative would be to flick upward with two fingers, which will get you to the top of the screen in most cases, then quickly doubletap with one finger.  The reason you must do this quickly is that, flicking upward with two fingers is similar to performing a say all with traditional screen readers that reads from the top to the bottom, so voiceover will continue to scroll through the options and present them to you.  If you want the back button, which we have already stated, is usually located on the upper left portion of the screen, you would need to doubletap with one finger to activate it before voiceover scrolls on to the next item in the list.
9.  Practice.  Because there is a lot to remember and therefore, just as much to forget, the only way you'll be able to retain information that is useful to you is to keep working at it.  Develop habits for yourself that speed up and improve the overall quality of your experience based on the things you've learned.
10.  come back to this topic and tell us when you get stuck on something.  Switching phones can seem quite daunting, but it doesn't have to be.  As always, applevis is worth mentioning, since you'll find everything from podcasts on how to do things to full reviews of apps, and a nifty news letter you can subscribe to that'll present you with recommendations.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-02-11 20:50:09

Hi.
Well I guess if you are doing a lot of typing a bluetooth keyboard is needed and maybe a headset.
Also if you use it a lot a battery pack or 2.
One thing I do know you will absolutely want to get off the bat is a case for the thing.
They break so easily screen wise and apple charge to get those fixed.
Worse, you get a third party repair, well apple is cracking down on those.
You get it and your phone is useless.
Back up your stuff etc.
You will want a case with grip maybe one where you don't have to get the phone out of the case to actually use it thats what I will probably end up doing to.

2016-02-11 21:22:52

@Socheat, thank you, I just registered there and found some interesting podcasts and guides.
@Dark and nockturnus, wow, thank you in advance for your detailed help, I really appreciate it. Again thank you so much. I will save this link in a text document so that if there's any other beginner like me, I will show the wonderfulness of your posts.
I do not really use swiping or flicking so much, I like exploring the screen by dragging my finger from top to bottom. I am a little familiar with iPhone's homescreen and app switcher.
One other question, is there any gesture apart from that back button on the left top side of the screen. For example, in my android device I had the back button on the right side of the phone, close to the home button, but you could also swipe (iPhone users are more familiar with the flicking term), down then left to go back.
About an hour ago, I was skyping with my friend who has an iPhone 5S and I asked him to open the voiceover practice and perform the gestures I needed. I seem to remember them or I can recall them from the last time I used an iPhone.
Trying to avoid itunes, is it possible to copy music or videos if I upload them on my dropbox account. It would be very valuable if I could just copy them to my iPhone without needing to use itunes. Although it's 64 GB, I have 50 GB free space on my dropbox account. they granted them to me when I bought my samsung galaxy S3.
@Crashmaster,
Well, in addition to blutooth keyboard, you also have the brail keyboard, which can be very useful if you know brail, or if you're willing to practice it on your device. A case for an iPhone is vital. smile

2016-02-11 22:04:50 (edited by livrobo 2016-02-11 22:10:54)

Yes, there is a gesture you can use instead of using the back button. It's called a two finger scrub and can be invoked by quickly swiping two fingers back and forth three times. This can also be used to dismiss alerts.

To answer your second question, yes, you can upload media to Dropbox. You won't be able to play them in the native music and videos app, but you can certainly play them in the Dropbox app. I'd recommend searching around for a dedicated media player app that integrates with Dropbox so you don't have to use their own app.

If a helicopter falls in the field and no one's around, it doesn't make a sound.

2016-02-11 23:15:05

@Afrim, the scrub gesture is the Iphone equivalent of the one you mention on android I think. Nocturnus suggests two fingers up and down, I do two fingers rapidly left and right rather as if trying to wipe something off the screen, it'll always automatically operate a back button in any screen there is one.

There are many times in cluttered screens when flicking left and right or using the roter is rather more efficient, indeed I would personally recommend going into the voiceover settings for your roter and selecting vertical navigation as an option, which will let you use up and down flick gestures to navigate between items above or below each other, combine this with left and right flicks and you have a very useful setup for navigating complex tabular layouts in many situations (especially common in games),  I'd have found battle arena almost unplayable without this sinse  there is a lot on screen to look through but the flicks and handle the info more efficiently.
As you use Ios and different aps and games and such you will find when it's better to flick and when to explore the screen manually, eg, if I'm say looking for an ap I don't use often on the home screen I'll nearly always flick (or just ask siri to open it), but if I want to open the phone or check the time or battery I'll just go to instantly where I know the dock or notification center are.

@liverobo, Dropbox might work, though I don't know how playing media would go from there,  personally I bought a victor stream instead for all my portable music needs.

I might consider dropbox on Ios if if I could  use it to transfer videos and media files I got from Itunes off the phone and onto my pc, eg, say I bought a song or audiobook in Itunes, then could use dropbox to copy it to my desktop and store it and play it in whatever media player or type I wanted.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-02-12 00:06:49

lol I sincerely don't know why placing everything you want on your iOS device in one folder on the windows machine is so hard, since that is honestly, honestly, all one need do to get music, books, videos, pretty much anything on their iPhone.  You coppy it from whatever harddrive or other storage device, you paste it into a folder called Automatically Add to iTunes, no joke, that's what the folder is called, you open iTunes, you plug in your iOS device, it syncs, you're done.  make playlists and ask Siri to play them, or just shuffle your entire music library if you're into that sort of thing.  The only reason I don't do it is because I have so much music that 64 gig sjust doesn't do it justice.  I'll be listening to something and something else will pop into my mind, then I'll want to listen to that and find that it's elsewhere, which leaves me feeling all cold and lonely and empty inside, and then I want my mommy!

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-02-12 10:10:42

Getting the stuff I wanted to play in the right order rather than whatever silly order Itunes wanted was a nightmare, especially for audiobooks, and this wasn't helped when apple in their infinite kindness killed the sidebar labels in Itunes 12.

Plus I also have rather  more than 64 mb of books and music too and so didn't want all that sinking nonsense.

Compared to just plugging in my victor stream and going "copy" in whatever folders I like, Itunes was hell! and don't speak of getting stuff out of it that has already been eaten by the itunes monster (one of my lady's folders was  successfully buggered by her sister's attempt to copy it and Itunes grabbitude).

Then again I've had that conversation before. If people want to try Itunes fare enough, but after hitting the thing with a crowbar for two solid years and still! finding it a  major inconvenience, I'd not recommend it to anyone, hence why I don't want to buy or download anything in it and  am interested in the dropbox thing for getting stuff out of it's clutches.

2016-02-13 01:23:43

so hi, yeah, I got the iPhone 6 now on my hands, it's pretty cool, fast, reliable, thin, lovely, amazing. It's the perfect size I want it to be. I turned on the device, waited for 15 seconds and pressed the homebutton three times, Samantha, as usual said, "Voiceover on".
I configured some options on the roter section which seem to be very handy for me, especially speech rate, languages, paragraphs, words, characters and selection mode. I got accustomed to Voiceover's gestures pretty quickly and now I can use it without any issues so far. Of course, changing from one operating system to another can be a little difficult, yes, I still look for the back button on the bottom right side of the phone like I used to do on my samsung mobile, but using the gesture that Dark gave me speeded things up a little. Now I have to create an apple ID using my phone to avoid a hectic option that doesn't show up during the process of creating the account. In the paying methods, there are three options I suppose, "mastercard, Viza and none". The none alternative does not show up there, so I will use my device to complete it. Some of my friends reported that it works when you create the ID via iPhone. I will also try uploading some of my favourite songs on dropbox and see if I can copy them to my device.
Again, thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it. Wish you all a Good time.
Cheers!

2016-02-13 20:04:35

Glad it is working Afrim.

btw, can you let me know whether you need a working e-mail address to create an apple id?
My lady doesn't have an apple id at the moment sinse currently she can't access her e-mail account, (I'll try and set up a new address for her soon), so if you can use a none working e-mail address for the apple id that would be handy, sinse then my lady could  get aps and such on her phone.

2016-02-13 22:27:33 (edited by afrim 2016-02-13 22:28:31)

HI,
By the end of the process of creating an apple ID, you are required to verify the account, and having a working email is essential in this case because there will be no way to access this new apple ID you created, despite having provided all the necessary information that apple required. I would advise you to recover that email, or create a new one. Don't try it with the non-working email, you will just waste time! I really hate those questions like what is your dreamed job, what is your favourite sports team, in what city did your parents meet and how old is the son of the niece of the youngest son of your next dorr neighbor.
Really unnecessary smile

2016-02-13 22:40:56

Whaaaat?  You mean you don't remember the name of your 104257th imaginary pet computer, or the first phone number your family might have had in the year 1991, or the 112th song you might have listened to, or the name of your car vender, or the street address of the place you met your 7th girlfriend?  Well, shame on you!  Seriously!  I mean, never mind that half of this stuff may never have happened or that it might have happend  20 some odd years ago, shame on you anyway, because if you don't remember these things you are scum!  And everyone should know about it, and Apple would like you to know about it!

2016-02-14 09:55:30

Great thread and some nice opening suggestions for apps here. Think I've got everything now. The number of things I do on my desktop gets smaller and smaller over time, and I just seriously wonder whether desktops are even cool anymore. smile

I think it's fair to say that iTunes is like marmite: you either love it or you hate it. Although perhaps it's also fair to say that the proportion of those who love it will be more on the Mac side, and those who hate it on the Windows side, for the usual reasons. smile

@Dark: if you don't have an email address for the lady, you can always create an iCloud.com email address during creation of the Apple ID. If you do this, that email address becomes the Apple ID. You can still add alternative email addresses and they will be recognised as the Apple ID, but after that point, you can never disassociate the iCloud address, which will always be active and receiving mail even if you are no longer using it. So think carefully before committing to that course of action. If you now plan not to use iCloud for any reason, don't use iCloud Mail to sign up. Of course, as the forum's resident Apple salesman, I am here to tell you that iCloud Mail is very easy to set up on any Apple device (obviously) and allows access using IMAP and SMTP from other clients, so you aren't locked in, if that should be the concern, and it is an otherwise very convenient choice for iThings. The accounts support server-side filtering (needs webmail access on desktop), knows how to autoreply and forward, does limited spam filtering, and gives you three additional "Aliases" which are addresses that come back to your primary account.

Yeah! I really hate those stupid security questions. Just make stuff up and forget it; it's a stupid countermeasure. iCloud supports the use of secondary email accounts for recovery, so use it. Or better yet, set up "Two-step verification" (i.e. two-factor authentication) and thereby avoid all this bollocks.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-02-14 13:57:46

@Nocturnus, actually your not far wrong on the security confusion that can really! happen. I actually did have a case where  my dad was trying to talk to the student lone company about my lone because they'd sent a letter in print (they send him all my correspondance). They however weren't authorized to talk to him and demanded to mtalk to me. I talked to them and told them that they should speak to my dad on the basis I couldn't read they're letter, however they needed to verrify I was myself by having me read the number off the letter they'd sent to my dad, a letter my dad had to read to me, (no they wou8ldn't accept any other id from me).

So I literally had to ask my dad to read the account number off the letter so I could verrify I was myself in order to authorize them to talk to my dad who'd already been listed as recieving the bloody letter in the first place!

What was worse is they  justified all this crap by saying "Oh but we need to stay secure, suppose some stranger rang up pretending to be you" I replied if some random stranger wanted to pay off my student lone they'd be very welcome to do so big_smile.

@Afrim, thanks, good to know. hopefully my lady's e-mail address should be sorted next week, but I did wonder if we could do the apple id first so she could get some practice on her Iphone.

2016-02-14 15:21:32

@dark,
I know.  Sometimes it gets weirder.  My wife and I were filling out an application for an apartment and one of the requirements was proof of income.  Since we both receive social security benefits both of us had to have a letter documenting said security benefits.  She sends off for a letter and is told it should arrive promptly within two weeks; we're already supposed to have mine, but more about that later.  She doesn't receive the letter within two weeks and we figure that she should go and create an account on the social security website since one can download their letter this way.  Here's where things get interesting.  She atempts to create an account on the social security website only to be told that her social security number is already in use.  She calls the phone number they give her and goes through representatives that tell her there's nothing they can do for her and that she'll have to go down to the nearest social security office to get an authorization code to unlock her account, the account she never created.  She goes down to the office, gets the code and the letter in one shot, and a week later, gets the letter she was supposed to have gotten a week and a half before in the mail.  it doesn't end there though.  Since I had an electronic copy of my letter and the apartment staff told us it would suffice we went ahead and sent it, only to discover that it is protected and cannot be opened.  Even more importantly, it's not in any universal format as far as files go, not HTML, not PDF, etc.  I brows on over to the website to try and redownload my letter and discover after two atempts that I've forgotten my password... Fine, I'll just reset it, right?  Nope, I manage to varify that I'm me not only by providing my social security number, but by answering my questions, and yet I've been locked out for an additional 24 hours because I tried to access my account and failed too many times.  it almost makes captchas sseem like a walk in the park!

2016-02-14 15:30:42

Yes. Or the blind gal who couldn't talk to her bank over the phone because the mindless gorp at the other end heard a second person--presumably a sighted person--reading out the account's card details to her, for relay to the bank.

The essential lesson from all these stories of woe is that, sadly, "Security" is theatre, more often than not. Pretty crappy theatre, too. Authentication is the only criteria. If the mechanism used for authentication is inadequate, then the "Security" is completely and utterly fscking meaningless. Unfortunately the reality is that people are too eager to share or forget their card numbers/PINs/passwords/whatever which leads to all this bollocks and, as with so many things, those willing to actually invest real effort into securing themselves (and their independence) are the ones most hurt by it. Truly sad.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-02-14 15:59:48

Eh, i've been there.  The only thing that sucks more than being blind, is being blind and practically deaf.  I can't have someone speak on my behalf, even though I've made it clear countless times to countless organizations and companies that I don't always do well with phones.  You kind of wish everything would just be automated by now, then you think that, on the other hand, if there weren't at least some hack at the office ready to take your call, you'd be at the mercy of an automated system that only has as much logic as programmed by yet another hack in his parents basement.

2016-02-14 16:29:16

I have a nearly similar story. This year in October I enrolled at the faculty of linguistics. I study english language, and once you enroll at a university you have the right to get 100 dollars more than you would get when in a high school, and 200 dollars more than you would if you weren't at a school at all. So, you have to provide them with a confirmation that is sent in a printed letter that should be signed by the secretary of the faculty's dean. I was attending a lecture but I had called my mum before to come to school and send that authorisation to an institution of finance. So, she went to the secretary and asked the young woman to asign the letter. The woman replied, "your son should be here too, we cannot authorise letters for random people that come here.". But he's attending a lecture. he would had come here to do it himself, but he's blind!
She said, well, bring your son here and I will provide you with the letter.
After I finished the lecture, my mum and I went to the secretary, my mum said to her again: I need to asign this letter for my son and bla bla bla.
The woman looked at me and said, oh, you needn't had come with your mum, we would have given the letter to her without needing to bring you here. Now, you can go, and it will be ready in a few minutes. Wholly crap! It was the most distracting day of all this year.

2016-02-14 17:37:25

Oddly with this security rubbish I think automation is the problem. Far better if orgnizations you know, have people with that thing called intelligence, but that means A, actually paying money to employ humans and B, trusting humans to think, neither of which are really things that the current state of most organizations are compatible with.

I did consider an Icloud address for the apple id, but I'm not sure how then setting up on another machine like say microsoft outlook would be, plus apart from data backups and an excuse not to use Itunes from hell, I'm not even sure what Icloud is for on Ios given that apple are allergic to file management on Ios.

2016-02-14 17:47:10

Well, I think both human and automated checks are good, but that because security concerns mean that automated checks are frequently inadequate, humans often need be involved--humans with precious little intelligence. The solution is either more intelligent humans or more secure authentication processes (shared secrets, text-message and email-based verification,, etc) that are much more foolproof against misappropriation of confidential information. So yeah, I'd love to see automation, if it resulted in actual improvements in security that didn't involve inept people, but I also want to see fewer inept people. Tricky.

@Dark: if you go to Settings, iCloud on your device, you'll see what iCloud can do for you. iCloud Drive is Apple's answer to Dropbox. Mail is just an email service; you can configure any email client (including recent versions of Outlook and Thunderbird) to work with it. The settings are published on Apple's site, but they are imap.mail.me.com port 993 and smtp.mail.me.com port 587. Log in with username and password of your iCloud account.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-02-14 21:48:49 (edited by afrim 2016-02-14 23:50:19)

Hi,
if I sign in to iCloud, can I transfer music in any other way except for itunes because it is driving me crazy.

Sent from my iPhone

2016-02-15 00:59:12

@Sebby,
so, I never did quite figure this out; you mention that iCloud drive is a dropbox concept.  Does that in essence mean that we get a certain amount of free storage?  I only ask because this information doesn't seem to be available on Apple's site, and if it is I haven't the slightest idea where I might find it.

2016-02-15 02:29:44

Can you use iCloud to transfer music? Good question! I think the answer is that you can, but that you will need a third-party app to actually play the media files (like VLC, for example). Dropbox probably has the edge here because it has some internal viewers of its own, and many apps already know how to get to Dropbox directly (because of Apple's early refusal to be cool, like Dropbox, with the result that everybody just used Dropbox as the virtual file system of choice). Now any app that has the iCloud entitlement can act as the bearer for remotely-stored content, not only iCloud itself, through what are known as "Document providers". Hence cloud services are now quite equal.

But that leads nicely to the second question: how much storage? 5 GB, for free, to be shared among all your iCloud uses. That is how much space you would have for such purposes. It might actually be worthwhile paying for more storage, from either iCloud or Dropbox, if you need space for file storage. Also notable, Apple has a service (called iTunes Match) that lets you upload your music specifically, sort of like Google Music, and that's a flat-rate product with the added bonus that it'll upgrade any songs you already have to Apple's music catalog rips, i.e. 256 Kb AAC. Major downside, for those it may concern: requires iTunes for the upload.

One more thing: Dropbox operates online by default, that is you specifically mark things as offline if you want them. iCloud is the reverse, everything syncs by default, exactly like the Dropbox desktop client does (and, in fact, iCloud on Windows and Mac too).

Just myself, as usual.