2016-02-04 18:40:23

Hello all,
So I was speaking to someone recently and we came up with a sort of independence plan, of things required that would work in daily life, and a couple ideas have caused some questions to come up.
I'm from the UK, and I'm wondering if it's possible to identify the different pound notes somehow. I had a feel of the different notes and they seem slightly different, but I'm wondering if there's a way to learn the different note types or have another way of figuring it out, not just by using tech. I use an android and I don't know if there's a money reader for it, and besides, if I'm in a queue I might not be able to just whip out my phone and scan. How would you guys identify these pound notes?
My second question is, credit card. How  can I learn/have on hand my credit card number? Is writing a text file with the number truly a good idea, what about hackers/people who might snoop? Is there another way?
If anyone else has any suggestions as to how to help with independence then feel free to come up with some stuff. I'm quite far away from the specialized schools and the RNIB and my local society have sort of... stopped helping. Here's a list of things I can do:
I can have my own shower and get dressed. I can make a Sandwich but I've yet to actually try doing this with no one around. I can definitely make my own cold drinks. I can get ready and into bed at night, and somewhat make my bed in the morning. So, those are the things I can do so far. I can't really think of other stuff to learn at the moment, or, indeed, stuff I'd actually like to learn. You'll notice that so far I've perhapsmore aimed at fun but also necessary skills. For instance, a credit card might allow me to book a trip to a theme park this year at some point.
Is there a way to make independence learning, perhaps, more fun? What other tasks could I try?

2016-02-04 19:11:31

Hello Aaron;

First off, great job! My independence is okay, but it could be a lot better.

Money and credit cards.

I've not used a credit card and wouldn't recommend it. Why? Because it's very easy to get into debt and you don't want that.

I use a debit card and am happy doing so.

As for paper money, a five is the smallest,, then ten is a bit longer and wider, a twenty is thin and long and a fifty is the biggest I've seen.

I've used my debit card mostly so I could be wrong in the sizes of notes. I'd recommend asking a sighted person what note is what, then you can feel them and memorize each note. It's not as hard as it sounds once you get used to it.

Although, personally, I'd recommend a debit card. All you have to do is remember your pin and you can pay for nearly anything using it.

As for putting bank details down, I've done it and think that it's the best for me, however; it may not be the best for you. That's for you to decide.

As for fun things to do, There's this site and app, the site is called, www.meetup.com and it's where you can find groups to, well, meet up. You do need a picture to sign yourself up,but once that's done you can pick your groups that you'd like to join and hopefully have some fun.

That will help with your independence, since you'd have to buy either a rail card, or a freedom pass and will have to use taxis, (I recommend Uber.) and socialize. This meetup site has meetups in the UK and US, I'm not sure about other countries but one thing I am sure of, is that the meetups will be fun.

Another thing you could try, is going to the gym.

I, myself don't like doing that, not because I can't but because I prefer socializing.

I hope this helps.

I'm gone for real :)

2016-02-05 00:15:36

Hello Aaron,

The way I handle money is to fold each bill differently. For example, fives are folded long ways. Tens are folded in half the other way, and twenties are folded in quarters. I just leave ones alone. I live in the United States, and I think this is the way most people here are taught to identify their  money.

2016-02-05 00:20:40

hi.
I use a debit card as well and I'm very happy with it. you have to remember only a four digit number which you can use to pay almost everything you want.
here in Romania I have a special tool that helps me identify money, though I don't use it that much now because I've found an other better way. basically it's a peace of plastic folded into two equal parts, you put the bank note in between the two peaces of plastic and slide it until you reach the edge where they meet, you close it and fold the bank note around the peace of plastic and it will come exactly to it's value, on the plastic are written various numbers, for each bank note respectively. you might want to ask for such a thing, it might prove usefull.
an other effective way to know which bank note is which is to allways keep them in a order. I usually keep the higher valued money on top because they are bigger, and allways keep an evidence of how much money you have on you.
I hope this post was helpful.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2016-02-05 00:40:20

Hello,
Thanks for the info. I think the rail card could be useful for the future, although not quite yet as I have to work on more local stuff first.

2016-02-05 00:50:31

Hi.
I agree with the poster about credit card.
I have a debit I use for shopping but just incase I am a totaly adictaholic I won't overcharge myself.
If you see the show can't pay we'll take it away, being strapped for cash in the worse case can be really baaaaaad!
In fact one of the debt collecters in the show said he himself that he had be in debt for a bit and described it as a hellish place.
I have limited my shopping to paypal use mainly because its the easiest.
I have a local store mightyape which handles a lot of things like cds, and dvds.
book depository which handles books and another fishpond which is reasonably fast.
You can probably find shops like these in your countries, book depository is everywhere, fishpond and mightyape are nz only sadly but check em out and see.
These shops have large warehouses in major citties and I am just lucky to live close to one, so sometimes delivery can be same day delivery.
Anyway with cash I usually just use 20s and 10s as 20s are all I need to handle and they are in a clip in my wallet, 10s and 5s are smaller than those.
Right, you should be able to get this from your blind organisation for nothintg or low cost there are coin organisers though most coins do have access features.
You can also pick up something called a note guage which looks like a step ladder with each step being a note size.
the left side of the gage has large print embossed numbers the other braille numbers.
There is ofcause this thing if you are in the us.
http://www.afb.org/prodProfile.asp?ProdID=1845
I have never used it.
atguys has barcode scanners and such.
Your android/ ios/ whatever device probably has some sort of id program or many, there are probably as many apps as there are devices and more becides.
So its just a matter of choosing the right app and fiddling with it.
I have not used the note gage  much but new ones will be coming out because cash is changing and while the note gage is half the size of a braille slate its probably usefull if you need things.
I have found it hard to put cash in my wallet fast unless I am sitting down in a vehicle or on a bench so I usually get my friends to do this for me while outt with them.
When I am out normally my eftpos magnetic card is my prime source to pay for things.
My chip card works well enough to.
When with my family every few weeks I empty out my account till there is 200 or so bucks in there enough to stop the automatic autodraft going off.
I also get out some cash for use which I store at home.
Over that, family wize Usually I transfer cash to the pool account we all share for bills and such and its account I primarily use when doing things, my parents pay for things and I top it up.
I realise this won't be for ever though as I am still at home and hardly go out that much.
Most of my work is net bassed.
So carry round what you will use.
Usually its dollars and 2 dollar coins a lot of them, they are good for small things to vending machines.
If you need to take lower a 50 cent is usually good to but not less than that.
As for notes since I know I won't be able to identify or use much over 20 I use those 50 dollar notes and higher can be split but they can get a lot of smaller notes.
Sometimes if I know I will be getting something like 5 dollars in a note I ask for it in coins so my wallet is not full of little notes I may loose.
And while I don't use it much now, 1 and 2 dollar coins saved my ass being a student.
You can buy a lot of soft drink, chips, cookies and small to large serial  bars for 1-2 dollars at least you could but prices have gone up.

2016-02-05 00:50:33

I agree about using debit cards, but you're still going to need to write the info down in case you use it to purchase things online. I did write down the info, and of course there is no 100% way to make that process secure, but the way I did it was I wrote the numbers down on my Braille Note. This device never gets connected to the internet, so there's no danger of it being hacked. Of course there's a tiny chance that it could get stolen, and the info extracted, but it's all about calculated risk. Writing credit or debit card information on a computer isn't the smartest idea, in my opinion, even if you encrypt the file and keep it on a flash drive that doesn't get plugged into the computer often. For one thing, you never know when someone will find a way to break encryption. Secondly, you could lose the flash drive, or it could fall into the wrong hands. Third, if your computer ever gets infected with a virus, and you plug the flash drive in, bye bye secure info.

So, if you don't have a note taker, you might try writing the info down in Braille on a piece of paper, if that's an option. Of course that could get lost, too, and some people believe that it's not secure because if it were to get stolen, someone could go on Wikipedia, look up Braille symbols, and decipher them, but again, it's about calculated risk. How would the person know the paper contained important info, especially if you write some unrelated stuff either before or after the numbers?

Finally, after awhile, and depending on how much you use the card, you might be able to memorize all the numbers. i know I have, and it's great to have something like that in my head at all times.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-02-05 07:40:39

Seconding Turtlepower; often times I've run into sites that don't accept Paypal and need a bit more than the PIN. (Also, purchasing apps.)

(I've been subscribed to Meetup.com for like 3 years and apparently there is no one within 50 miles of me doing anything interesting that they feel like mentioning there. Also I have no idea how I'd get there even if there was something that seemed worthwhile. College debt and food and utilities leave me with no money other than cash and Paypal by the end of the month, and were I good at growing any of those, I wouldn't have written the previous sentence. ... but things are less spread out in the UK so maybe Meetup isn't such a waste there?)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2016-02-05 11:53:49 (edited by lauren.downie96 2016-02-05 11:58:53)

Hi Aaron,
I think it's great that you're trying to make independence more of a fun thing to learn, rather than a chore. My independence is pretty good, but it could always be better.
I agree with everyone else on this thread that personally, debit cards work for me as I have no way of going into debt.
@turtlepower17, I do exactly the same where remembering my debit card details is concerned. I too have memorised all of the numbers now and it really is great to do, but even if people struggle with that, writing it down in a secure place is really important.

In terms of identifying money, I asked a long time ago to be shown each note and by now have memorised which is which. I think it's really cool that there are so many ways of identifying them.
As far as other things that you can try to do, you're doing really well already to be honest. If you wanted to try some other simple and fun things, you could:
Make a hot drink.. I know some people might not agree with my way of doing this, but I understand that some people really have a problem with using the kettle. I too used to have this problem and only recently have I used it without worrying. Before, however, when making hot chocolate (the only hot drink I really enjoy) I mixed the powder and milk together (I never use water) and put it in the microwave for about 45 seconds to a minute. In using this method however it is advisable to only fill the mug or glass about 3 quarters of the way as if you fill it any higher it might over flow. If you find that you do fill it too high however, don't worry as I tend to put a plate over the microwavable one which will catch any liquid that goes over the side. Another option that can help those who find the kettle difficult/annoying is to use something called a "hot water dispenser." I don't know if you can get these in other countries, but we do in the UK. They're kind of similar to a kettle, but in stead of a spout, they have something similar to a tap that you place your mug under and they pour the liquid into the mug for you.

I hope these tips help! smile

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2016-02-05 11:56:20

Hi Aaron.

First, as regards money.  The easiest thing is to organize yourself. Unfortunately the  cash test  devices that Nin and Sean were talking about aren't available in the Uk (thank the Rnib), (my lady described using them when she lived in Germany for Euroes). however,  as Brad said, the notes are different sizes, fives the smallest, tens larger, twenties larger still.
If you  get your own cash from the bank or cash back at a supermarket, you can make certain to get denominations that you know. Personally I only ever use tens if I can help it, even if I'm getting out a hundred pounds or so, that way I only have fives and tens to deal with, though I do  know what a twenty looks like for the occasions that I can't get tens.

As to cards, I use a credit card on the internet precisely because! if someone hacked my computer they couldn't charge too much from my account. I do have the credit carde number written down. For my debit card I usually sign when I'm out shopping rather than use the pin sinse if you make a mistake with the pin machine (which can have different screens and configurations), you can be in trouble. Apparently speaking pin machines and cashpoints that take headphones do exist, but I've not seen any yet and they're not universal enough to rely on, so I prefer personally to just sign (my print signature is illegible, but also unforgeable).

I have my bank details on stickers attached to my desk which I can read with my pen friend labeller, which is useful for phoning the bank and getting updates and also secure.

As to living skills type of stuff. Most things I found I needed to know were things I had to do when i moved in at university, sinse though meals were provided, many other things like laundry needed doing myself. Actually these days I prefer taking care of myself and living  independently, indeed currently I'm living with my lady which would be near impossible if I didn't know a little about cooking etc.

When living with your parents it's a little difficult to practice things, but it's important to know for when you move out.  For a start I'd recommend getting a liquid level indicator (from the rnib), and making hot drinks. Even if you don't drink tea or coffee that much, it's a useful thing to know as you can get used to things like pouring hot liquids. USing a microwave to heat food up is also worth knowing (when I lived in colidge and they weren't serving meals during my masters, I basically had to live on what I could microwave).

The george forman is also a handy thing, I'm also a fan of the slow cooker as well albeit I didn't start using one of those to make chilly and stew etc until later.
A lot of independence type stuff happens automatically when you start living on your own sinse you physically have! to organize your kitchin, wash up etc  just for comfort,  and while you can practice a few of the useful skills at home such as cleaning and washing up, there's no substitute for just having your own space and having to do it.
If your not actually going to university, I'd  suggest perhaps looking into either  being on your own for several weekends at your parents where you will have! to feed yourself and clean up, or perhaps going away to a holliday flat for a couple of days, perhaps having a friend round.

Btw,  At the moment there is myself and the uture mrs. Dark living together with two guide dogs in my flat, something which definitely wouldn't! have been possible without learning how to take care of my own space, so there are distinct advantages to this.

Any questions, let me know.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-02-05 12:10:55

Wow, Cae and Lauren repplied while I was writing my response.

@Lauren, I've not come across these hot water despensor things. originally when I first went to university, my mum got me a rather small travel kettle, which was quite a bit lighter and smaller than a regular one and thus easier to handle, and was good practice (I upgraded when I found the travel kettle couldn't do enough hot water to make coffee for more people at once).

As for hot chocolate, it depends upon the variety and how you make it. The stuff I get is from witards, and  does need making with milk as you describe. I however measure out a mug of milk which I then chuck into a jug and stick in the mike. When I've warmed the milk, I throw in the hot chocolate and then wisk, and sinse it's in the jug it doesn't make a mess. then I just pour back into the mug. This is also a useful way of making hot chocolate for two people as I've had to do recently big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-02-05 13:42:29

As far as credit cards go, I have my info written down and stored in a few places, though not on physical paper. There are password managers and things of that sort that can keep this information encrypted. One thing I just thought of you could do is write down the number of your card, but then memorise the CVC and expiration date and don't put it in the file. This way even if someone hacks into your computer, they won't be able to use your card.

Money recognition apps do exist. On Android you have the free blind droid wallet, plus both taptapsee and goggles can also recognize most currency.

As for hot water dispencers, I have seen then in public places, usually waiting rooms in hospitals, but never at someone's house. I don't know how much such a device would cost, or how much power it uses - there's hardware inside always running to keep the water cool/heated

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2016-02-05 17:12:55

@Dark, that's actually a really good idea (about using a jug and then pouring it into mugs), I can't believe I've never thought of it before. Thanks for the tip, that'll be really useful and as you said, it's better and quicker than doing separate ones in the microwave.
@Pitermach, they actually don't cost that much; I think I paid around £40 for mine and it's rather large. Unfortunately mine doesn't keep the water cool, but it's great for boiling water and really safe.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2016-02-05 17:48:16

We've got some sort of hot water filter/dispensor thing, I forgot the name of it though.
I also learned an awesome tip for doing butter on a Sandwich for those who might struggle a bit with getting the butter onto a knife.
Use a spoon and knife combo and scoop the butter onto the spoon, then drop it onto the bread and then put the spoon down, get the knife and start spreadding. This tip has literally done wonders for me and without it I don't think I'd be able to currently do a sandwich.

2016-02-05 19:12:04

Hi Aaron.

I don't know about the dispensor thing, but as I said consider a smaller kettle if you want to start doing your own hot drinks.
With butter what I generally do is stick some onto the end of my knife then wipe the underside of my knife on the side of the box, then stick in the middle of the bread or toast and turn. Then again I don't use butter all that much, even when I do sandwiches I tend to just stick on the filling (especially if I'm toasting them), indeed my lady has something to butter.

I do always use a spoon for honey.
Toasted sandwiches are actually a nice thing and a good meal, if you've got a toaster with a wide grill you can get these small toasted sandwich maker bags where you make the sandwich, stuff it in the bag, put the bag in the toaster and then just pull it out when done, very nice with stuff like your favourite sauce etc.

Wow this conversation is making me hungry big_smile.

2016-02-07 06:12:22

The Wells Fargo bank here in the US has braille debit cards. All the info on my card is brailled. Before I had one of these, I wrote my info down and committed it to memory. Yes, when buying online, you need the whole card number, expiration date, and the security code.

As for cash, all our bills in the US are the same size. I never could get into the habit of folding them. I rarely use cash at all, and when I do, I rely on the iPhone Money Reader app from Looktell. That won't help you much though, Aaron. smile

Here at least, when you run your card at the store, you can hit the credit button instead of debit. You don't have to enter in your pin this way. Handy, as most of our card machines are touch screen. I'm using my regular old bank debit card here. You just have the option of running it either way. I have no idea what running it as credit really means.

I'm not understanding the butter on your bread for sandwiches. the only time we do that is for grilled cheese to fry the bread. I can butter bread just fine, but I'm lazy. I usually just hack off a small sliver of butter from the stick and toss it in the pan. Once at the start, and then I'll put another sliver on the top of the sandwich before I flip it.

I think a slow cooker is a great place to start with making your own food.

Sugar and spice, and everything ....

2016-02-07 19:33:25

Wow, I never knew about Brailled bank cards. That's a cool concept, and I wonder if this is something that's been done for a long time, because if it's fairly new, perhaps more banks will implement it. Where do they put the Braille on the card, exactly? It seems like there really wouldn't be much space to cram it that wouldn't interfere with the scanning mechanism.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-02-07 22:50:30

Braille on the cards would be good.
@Cinnamon, butter for sandwiches, ie, when you make a none toasted ham or jam or whatever sandwich and put butter on first to hold the filling on, ---- well butter, margarine or whatever.

2016-02-08 09:00:38 (edited by CAE_Jones 2016-02-08 09:01:29)

Yeah, I think butter for arbitrary sandwiches is a British thing. Maybe the lack of butter is why Subway's sandwiches fall apart so easily...

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2016-02-08 21:24:01

That's what the butter is for, though admitedly it's fairly optional unless your having very traditional sandwiches or something like buttered toast.

I don't tend to bother myself, but then again I quite like bbq sauce or mustard or something else on there in addition to my meat or whatever,so butter is superfluous, and my lady has an active butter dislike.

2016-02-09 04:41:16

@Turtle, the braille is on the bottom half of the card, just like the print lettering. I don't know where the magnetic strip actually is. Maybe along the top where it's blank? I can feel the strip on the back side of the card to sign my name.

@Aaron, maybe if you present us with some more specific situations, we can provide more helpful suggestions for you. I use a Keurig machine for my hot coffee which dispenses a single cup of hot water into my mug. On the rare occasion I have tea, I microwave the water. When I used an electric kettle briefly a few years ago, I used one of those liquid level indicators. No way I was touching that boiling water.

The knob for our oven is marked at degree intervals. Ditto with our washing machine and dryer. We got sighties to dot some puff paint for us. Our stove burner knobs aren't marked, because that doesn't need to be so precise. 3:00 is medium high, straight down is medium, 9:00 is medium low, and it clicks into place at 12:00 for off.

Sugar and spice, and everything ....

2016-02-09 05:31:19

At Dark, I have to admit that the idea of putting butter on sandwiches makes me shudder, too. I really can't imagine what purpose it serves, other than to provide a truly revolting textural experience. Then again, I can't just take a piece of bread and spread butter on it, and eat it the way most folks do, because I hate that slimy, gross, saturated feel that the bread has. It's different if it's toast or garlic bread, then I can tolerate a very light spreading of butter, because it's kind of obligatory at that point.

2016-02-09 07:59:05

As to liquid levels, I almost never use well-insulated cups, so even if I'm not holding it so as to feel the weight, I can usually track it by how the temperature changes. Actually, I can tell water and orange juice apart based on how quickly the temperature changes when I grip the glass. (The juice heats up faster. They have to both be in the same type of container and have reached equilibrium first, of course.)

(that "use heat capacity to identify the drink" trick took a while to figure out. I haven't tried it with enough other drinks to manage it for anything but water vs orange juice. I tried it with some kinda strawberry kiwi thing once, but failed.)

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2016-02-09 11:47:59 (edited by lauren.downie96 2016-02-09 11:49:06)

Although I'm English and it seems to be the done thing in this country, I too can't stand butter on my sandwitches, as I don't like the taste or the texture. The only time I'll use it is in toasties  but in sandwitches or on pieces of toast I'll use some other spread, or none at all depending on the filling.
I agree with Cinnamon about mentioning topics that you want tips about Aaron. If you let us know, I'm sure many of us will have some useful tips.

2016-02-09 17:04:46

@Turtle, my lady is similarly aversed to butter and other such textures, though I will say in some sandwiches they can be rather nice, eg, very thin ham or smoked salmon.
As to liquid levels, well I started off with a liquid level indicator,but when I started drinking propper coffee stopped bothering sinse it wouldn't fit over the cafeteir.I then just got used to using the finger tip with hot  liquids the way I do with cold ones, though I do now have an indicator again which i tend to use for tea, it's one of these things I'll use if it's there but I'm not bothered if not.

@Cinnamon, I have similar markings on the cooker and   washing machine too, though my cooker actually has braille labels. No need for puff paint though if you just want tactile   marks. I don't know if you have  come across bumpons but I can highly recommend them, basically they're rather tiny plastic markers with an adheasive surfice on one side, useful for marking most everything I even took some to the states with me and marked my lady's sister's otherwise inaccessible microwave.