2016-02-02 17:58:25

Dear Windows,
It should come as no surprise to you that I'm leaving you.  Yes, there really is another, someone else that was willing to take up all the pieces that you broke or left untouched and do the absolute best to fix, even if the fixes were slightly awkward.  You were jealous about not being as popular as iOS and Android, while OSX was not, because OSX was wise to the fact that we were talking about completely different things.  You sought more than my company, while OSX waited patiently for me to see things logically.  You made moves against me; I tried to bring you back to your glory, to your beauty, to the things about you that made us an item in the beginning, the qualities about you that I loved, cherished and admired.
But you didn't listen.  You weren't satisfied with me.  You wanted smartphone users who didn't want anything to do with you.  You didn't listen to me when I told you the way you were heading would disturb me immensely and be at the very least a slap in my face.  You punished me for wanting to live peacefully and blissfully with the things I had already come to expect from you.  I didn't change; you did.  It's not me; it's you.
And not only did you change, which we all know can sometimes be good and productive, but you changed for all the wrong reasons, making yourself more of a nuisance than you had to be.  You became seemingly faster on the surface, while in fact hiding from me what you were really doing.  You became seemingly more intuitive at a price.  It all came to head, however, when your jealousy dominated every ounce of you and you began making demands.  I can't keep going on like this.  I'll explain further, hoping all the while you'll listen, but fully aware that what we had has been long gone for quite some time and, no matter how hard I try, I can't recapture it with you as it once was without you putting in the effort.
You remember 98?  I loved you back then.  You were simplistic in nature, but you housed so much potential underneath, and all I had to do was talk to you a bit.  You would show me endless secrets about yourself, both scaring and exciting my young mind.  You told me to relax, that it would be alright, that I didn't know enough about you to break you, but even if I had, more than likely you could easily be fixed with a bit of patience.  My screen reader, JAWS, the shark with his little shark logo, you remember him?  He kind of liked you; the two of you got along well enough and didn't really seem to argue much back then.  You tried to introduce me to your friend, Narrator.  I told you I didn't care much for him but hoped you would fix things up between us.  I left you alone after that regarding this particular issue because, well, you were so cool!
You released more along the way, but what you really gave me after that which I truly enjoyed was the Xp experience.  Ah!  Bliss!  Things didn't quite go as planned; I remember hardware had to catch up to deal with you properly, because you ran rather fast, rather hard, rather solidly, no matter what I threw at you.  For nearly 7 years we lived on in this bliss together, from o3 to o9 or there abouts, and I think it really could have gone on this way forever.  You never failed me, even if the hardware you ran on did.  System 32 delighted me!  So what if I didn't know what every exe in there did; you didn't care. You patiently waited while I tested them one by one.  You gave me MSn Explorer; what a concept!  I had everything I wanted all in one window!  As if that weren't enough, you and JAWS worked seamlessly together.  I introduced you to NVDA in o8, and you worked even faster!  NVDA wasn't quite ready for me at the time, though, and I guess the truth is that I wasn't ready for NVDA, either.
But strange things began happening while I was still enjoying what you soon began calling mediocrity.  You wanted me to change with you.  You wanted me to see the vision that was Vista, and I, being the fool that I was, kind of bought into it.  I told people that you were still running properly if they got the right hardware, but I should have seen the warning signs then.  You were becoming slow and cumbersome, full of undesirable material that left you open to the possibility of bluescreening on me more often than not.  As if that weren't bad enough, you dropped another bombshell on me called RE, an environment of sorts under which I could recover pretty much anything that broke on you.  The problem was, that because of the way you do things, neither JAWS nor NVDA could help me deal with you in this state.  Batteries would die, and you would harp at me.  Power would go out, and you would harp at me.  You would crash unexpectedly during an update, and you would harp at me, always throwing me back to RE, keeping me from doing things with you the way we once did, having me bring other people into our relationship.
And then there was 7.  I breathed deeply and sighed heavily, but I plowed onward with what we had, hoping for a better future.  You didn't take up as much of my resources, but     by this point I couldn't help noticing that you were taking up more than OSX required at bare minimum to function twice as well as you.  I still made excuses for you though: you were consumer friendly, you and I had been tight for so long, you offered more choice, you were good to game with, the list went on.  But I felt so alone when I was with you, so out of touch with the rest of the world who had something else that I didn't have, because for all the freedom you gave me, you didn't give me flexibility, and you weren't giving me the care I desperately required and desired from you anymore.
And so it went, 8, 9, 10, except there was no 9, and you confused me there, but I guess you had your reasons.  by this time you decided that XP experience I had once loved so much was supposedly not worth it.  You stopped supporting it.  You introduced this metro thing; I guess it was your way of telling me you were still cool?  It wasn't cool.  it was a bridge between smartphone and tablet users and myself, your faithful partner, the one who appreciated you immensely as you were and didn't ask you for much in the way of change.  You began denying me access to files and telling me you knew what was best.  You said I didn't have the proper permissions to edit this and that thing here and there.  You forced me to become creative just to deal with you and approach you on things I wanted done, so I stepped back to being 7ish for a time; four years of my time, in fact.
But the end I feared is at hand.  I can't advocate for you anymore.  I must tell you that this is hard For me.  I denied the fact that when you were sluggish you crashed my screen readers, no matter what application I happened to be using, but usually when browsing the net.  I skirted around the fact that your wide hardware acceptance and the way your dealers tended to load you up with bloatware made you unreliable and quirky at best, completely and utterly useless at worst.  The idea that I would have to buy yet another PC, uninstall you just to make sure I had gotten rid of everything, reinstall you and hope there was no hiccup in the process just didn't appeal to me anymore.  it's taxing on a totally blind user, you know?
So, I'd like us to be friends.  OSX is patiently waiting for me, teaching me things like you once kind of did, except on a higher level.  I sit by my Mac Mini, still waiting patiently for me to hit that power button I have yet to even so much as find, and I'm thinking of you, missing you ever so much, appreciating you for what you once were while I prepare on my wife's Macbook Air.  I'm a dad now, and while I wish you could come with me and my family on this journey, I realize now that you just, can't.  You want me to constantly appease you, to monitor you for threats, to consistently do things your way or the highway, AND I DON'T HAVE THE TIME!  You push 10 on me repeatedly, making me feel guilty with a flashing icon on my system tray because I haven't given in this time.  if I turn my back just long enough, you turn that icon into a window I have to alt f4 out of or at least tab away from to get NVDA working properly again.  You never did this before.  I don't know what I did wrong in your eyes, but I promise I won't be hurting you anymore, anymore than I'll be trying to help you, for that matter.
I do see one small glimmer of hope; you have at least listened to my ever so slight complaints concerning narrator and accessibility.  I think though, that you've done too little, too late.  I can't wait any longer.  I know OSX isn't everything, and I know that's what all of your fans will tell me, as if I'm some idiotic loser who doesn't realize just how much I've lost over the years, but I do realize it, and it hurts me ever so much, and because it hurts me ever so much, I promise you I'll never treat any of your users as some of the more elitist Apple fanboys have treated me.  I'll never be one of them.  What it comes down to however, is this; I'll keep hoping you'll eventually listen to my concerns... Who knows, perhaps you can convince Nadella that it would be ideal for you to form a closer relationship with Apple that'll benefit us all somehow.  Until something better comes of you, however, I'll keep on waiting and hoping.
I am, yours sincerely
A Once Faithful Windows User

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-02-02 19:01:00

Hello,
Very well put, and an interesting way to do this. I still think xp is the fastest of the systems I've used over the years, and I haven't even dared to touch windows 10 due to all the stuff that's happening with it. I like windows 7 for what it is, and windows 8.1 is also fast but it doesn't let you go out of it's comfort zone very easily.

2016-02-02 19:10:15

From one Windows expatriate now happily dwelling in the land of Mac to another...that was a highly entertaining read.

2016-02-02 22:08:32

Awwh.. That must have been so hard for you.  I know how you feel though, I was abandoned just like you were.  I was told I couldn't do it without windows 10, and god... It hurts, so much!
The worst part is, I am worse than windows.  When I got my mac, I realized how possessive and jealous I was because well... you're all going to be sickened by this, but I... I grabbed a copy of windows 7 and xp, locked them up in a virtual room, and disabled their updating capability.  Their Jailer, OSX, tells me that I shouldn't let this bring me down, but it's so hard.  I can hear windows crying for Microsoft to save it, and some dark part of me laughs every time it does.  It laughs!  I mean, how cruel can you be?
I remember I got so mad at windows 7 for being slow, so I dropped 2gb of its available ram, and removed 2 virtual cores.  I still remember the screams, but alas...  I suppose we are all horrible people, aren't we?  But still the worst part is that windows is innocent.  it is not responsible for this at all.  It's just following microsoft's requests.  I wish we could free it from their evil hands.  I am sure we could make him happy and loving once again.  Perhaps he has been driven mad by Microsoft's attempts to modify his nature.  ah well, life goes on.

Just... please don't hate me.  I didn't think about what I was doing!  I was in so much pain at that time.

I'm probably gonna get banned for this, but...

2016-02-02 22:59:05

Hi.
Well nocturnis that was good spoken like a true man.
I liked dos.
win95, win 98, xp and 7.
I never liked 8.
10, I don't know.
I like my os challenging me, most of my stuff is windows but if I went again it would be mac or linux, thing is that audiogames are windows.
Ms really is pushing the wrong buttons.
In early 1995 I was a pirate, I went against the system, the world was mine.
Then along came mr opensource.
Most of my programs were catered for and now all are, I retired at once.
Music became a bit cheaper, a lot more free and low cost came out to.
Streams came up my fight seemed in my favour.
Now ms is panicing to get to 2 billion users on 10 with their updates.
I have restricted windowsupdate to check and turned off recomended updates.
I have disabled the windows experience gwx icons and triggers so it will probably never load and just hope.
I have noticed sadly that even office 2013 and up require more powerfull videocards.
Now if you are like my uncle has, a laptop with a flash drive, a hard drive, and enough memmory to power your own borg fleet then windows10 is really cool to a point.
Where it is not cool is if you make an ms account or run a program like mail that converts you to an ms account.
Now I am sure all the new agers that have touch or several devices etc like a lot of friends and family probably will be ok.
But all the old farts like us don't care.
We grew up with keyboards and dos, windows 95 and 7, symbian phones.
We have lasted without touch, tablets, iphones, mice, universal apps and gadgets and other things for so long.
I do realise this is shrinking, and that I will eventually have to get assimilated into the collective, but there seems to be more issues with this new system than all the other oses.
Yes I see where they are going but I don't want all of it, I want to choose myself.
Now if there was some sort of theme interface manger where I could have the latest core and choose interface and switch at will at the loss of some features or including them, I'd take all my interfaces with me.
Win7 and such.
What scares me is what I am thinking when I upgrade.
I will eventually have to not when ms says but when win7 dies fully.
And I hope its all out of mf or mega hype mode.
Sadly the way ms is doing this we are still in mega hype to put it politely.
Hype is fine I can take this, but megahype is like there is a new os release every day.
Some updates don't have notifications with them either.
In your case nocturnis you have just been cleaned out by god I suppose you can switch to another cube so go for it.
I administrate windows and have family that use it so I can't just pull out.
I also have spent a lot of cash on windows software now.
As long as windows doesn't bother us we will continue.
If it starts doing so I am seriously going to have to reevaluate my options, this may include dropping everyone back to xp and living with it.
My hope is that all this fuss has to do with their upgrade offer and on august 1 2016 ms will simply expire the offer as planned and say now you are on your own, as long as they then don't push us to buy windows we should drop out of mega hype mode and maybe hype mode to normal mode.
And as long as all things go, subnormal mode where the os is replaced.
Hopefully the hackers and others will find a way to get our user experience back.
Saying if someone wants to make some sort of windows interface manager and have a default interface run on top of windows with keys to switch from shell to shell that would rock to.
If I can take my interface and feature set with me but have still access to some stuff I'll take it.

2016-02-02 23:52:57

Still use windows 7 for my steam and audio games. Went in to the registry and killed the windows 10 upgrade notification, and i am sitting pretty now. Until steam and flash player are accessible on OSX, or at least manageable, still will use windows here and there.

2016-02-04 03:27:00

O like a love story to computers? Haha!

73 Wj3u

2016-02-04 14:26:53

Yeah, kind of like that.  But there is some seriousness to it.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-02-04 23:55:52

Let's see... I don't know if I can top the letter to windows, but here we go.
To windows:

Let's be friends. Good friends. This includes all your updates. updates that are required
required updates that I might not want yes, might not want After all, updates always good. So good that I always want them. After all, I can care less. Yes, care less. So, let’s be friends. Yes, good friends. You always holding my hand. You always know best. Let’s be good friends. No, great friends. Such good friends that you pop up an icon on my system tray of my windows seven. Yes, great friends. So great that you show me an onscreen popup. So great friends that the popup has to be closed by alt+f4. Yes, we are such best friends that you are within the recommended updates. Let’s be friends. Good friends. Best friends.

I guess I can go on, but this might be enough. Does anyone have any more ideas? I am not good at writing lines.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2016-02-05 16:35:56

As with Aaron, I say, very well put and remarked upon by all.

I hope I don't qualify as too elitist an Apple fanboy. I think of Windows sometimes too. smile

Steam works better on OS X from what I hear, however the games available are far more limited. Gaming is, it is not unreasonable to say, still in the realm of Windows. A Windows VM, naturally. smile

I am just wondering whether or not I should grab the latest MacBook Pro (after flogging this one) because it will probably be the latest one to support Windows 8 until its end-of-life date; the next line-up will probably all be Skylake. Hmm. Questions, questions ...

The Mac Mini's power button is at the top right corner. With the Mini's circular panel facing down and its ports at the back, the button is round. Press it when you're ready. smile

Just myself, as usual.