2016-02-01 07:29:34

Hi all, I havn't posted here in a while. I wanted to throw something out to you that hopefully you'll get a bit of fun out of. Basicly, I took some USB extension cords, an old SDHC card to USB adapter, a VPS, local computer and speakers, not to mension programming, to throw together a very basic alarm system. It's cool that my computer now knows when I open my door! I recorded a demo of it, and decided to share it with yall, and I hope you enjoy! Please let me know if you like it! https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/164 … 20time.ogg

I am a web designer, and a game developer. If you wish see me at http://www.samtupy.com

2016-02-01 13:08:18

hello everyone.
whoa dude, all that is coded in bgt using external devices, getting controlled via your IPhone from a certain webpage, and using your vps that of course does the rest? freaking awesome! wonder if you're selling systems like this kinda thing cause I really need one for stopping my little cussin that loves to mess around with my computer.
just kidden. Anyway, nice job man though the alarm sound be be be be beep ish thing is too you know, loud? also, think you gotta lower the deactivation alarm timer towards 20secs or less even. Gotta be fast on that.
really, congrats on this. Keep going!

Take care.
Mike.

I don't play games as much as I wish, but you can know that it's me if there's a John Weed over there. Ha ha!

2016-02-01 22:18:22

woah dude.
This is damn impressive!\
Never would have thought to use bgt for this sort of thing... Lol now try and make something that automatically turns the door knob when you enter the passcode.
In theory all you would need is a bit of rope, two strong servos, and something to help push the door.

2016-02-02 07:26:53

Tyler here. This is damn impressive! I nearly woke up my whole dormatory because I was laughing at the fact that you did all this in BGT. You are a total hero! That just amazes me! I need to code one of these, and get it set up.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2016-02-03 02:36:28

Hi,
@Sam
This is an extremely cool system. I think I understand how you did this and I might create something like this just for fun some time when i'm bored.
@Jesse
The vps is how Sam created the passcode system. He put up a page on his site, hwich would send data to his computer when a passcode was successfully entered, I believe.

2016-02-03 03:26:41

I think he should compile the alarm program and sell it along with instructions on making the physical wired system that triggers the alarm. He could make some awesome money for that kind of work. I'd surely buy one. My wife and I are buying a building we are gonna convert into a little room for us to stay and sleep in on her parent's property and We could sure use one of those.

2016-02-07 11:49:04

Wow. This is really cool. Thanks for the demonstration of this awesome system.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-02-07 14:23:37

Wow. This is actually really cool. I don't see a practical use for this system for myself, but I'm sure it's useful to some. I don't think I'd have ever thought of making an alarm system with USB device connection events. Theoretically this would work with any USB device that is recognized as an external drive, and with a bit of effort this could be converted to work under OS X, for example using Hammerspoon. The server part doesn't even need to be rewriten. The only part about this that I would have a problem with is the fact that I have to deal with one less USB port.
There are a bunch of systems like this one out there. Usually they are open-source do-it-yourself kind of things, where they give you the instructions, the source code and nothing more, and you ave to build it all and set it up. This could very well be one of these, although I'd consider rewriting the client part in something else. Of course USB and sounds are two things that work very differently on different systems so you would need a few separate versions, but that's not too bad. If this project were to reach the mainstream market, BGT isn't something many people outside of the blind community know of.

A fight we cannot lose.
An enemy we cannot defeat.
A destiny we cannot escape.
Follow me on twitter @guilevi2000