2007-11-20 17:06:11

Just out of curiosity, how difficult do you think it would be to create a game in the style of Mega Man? That was actually one of the projects I was tentatively considering attempting with the AGM, but the severe limitations of the program made it seem almost impossible, and I don't just mean the lack of a save feature. But my curiosity has been reawakened by my recent purchase of Mega an Anniversary Collectio for Game CUbe. Haven't received it yet since I ordered it from Amazon.com, but I've noticed they're usually fairly quick. Theyre also one of the few sites that aren't AG developer sites and that I'd trust to order online from. Anyway, what does everyone think? Could an audio Mega Man style game be done?

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2007-11-20 20:52:41

Hello Bryan,

Guess I'm too old to know much of Mega Man, so I looked it up in Wikipedia.  Side and vetical scroller type game in the original early releases. Much like Omega man which may in fact be the same thing.  I think Wii has something like this out as a 3d shooter. You run through levels and fight monsters then bosses I imagine. Article mentions a paper/scissors/rock hit engine which would be interesing.  My style of game is just taking off in development as I am into something a lot more major than I've done before. What I've done so far is fairly simple as I learn this new programming language and get a feel for what is wanted in audio. So far my techniques are quit different than what I've seen so far.

Anyway, I have thought of doing an audio A I (read single player) first person shooter using audio clues. I like Medal of Honor a lot and I may be able to pull off an audio version in the future. I've just tried technoshock. I'm sorry but I was very disoriented as I tried it. I need to study the read me much better.  I prefer that the audio gives you more surrounding info through voice vs. pinging or bumping into things. I prefer passive recognition to pinging or bumping and it should be the primary input if you can recognize it. Of course bumping and pinging would still be needed.  As you enter a new area some voice as narrative I think would be in order to help orient the player or like an A I  buddy to help explore the area with you and you are the boss. But as you put more and more of these things into your code it gets extensive. As a hobbyist like me this takes a lot of time.

I have not heard anyone complain about what I've made so far, and at the same time I know they are really quick casual type games. The next one I am working on is not quite so casual as it is an A I board game and I hope to have a lot of atmosphere as audio and it will be both audio and a bit of graphical for the sighted so it can be a colaborative effort. As I try out more audio games I understand why the sighted are so disoriented and don't play them. The games I have made can be played by all. Solaris prime is in the pure audio style but I made it from a different perspective and for the sighted and the seeing impaired it is a bit of a curiosity as you fight and evade the enemy. Instead of using a mouse you use the number pad as hot keys and other keys too as hot infomation keys. You stay busy.

The next game I have in mind is also A I board based and a derivative of Clue.

Then it will be on to the A I shooter. And I have an idea for it but it is really on the next rung of difficulty in audio. To answer your question - yes it can be done and I think the techniques I mentioned above are best for the best effect. I'll see how well my next game goes over and see if I am actually headed in the right direction.

Yo

2007-11-20 22:05:17

Well, Mega Man would definitely be considered a side scroller. As I said, most of the games put you in a menu where you had to hoose which of the major bosses you wanted to fight first. So taking the original Mega Man as an example, you had Cuts man, Guts man, Ice Man, Bomb Man, Fire Man and Elec Man, listed in that order. However unlike most games of that genre, which dropped you right into the first level and it just went from there, Mega Man placed you in a menu where you could select which of the enemies you wanted to go after first. So then you'd make your choice and fight through that boss's lair before you'd face the boss himself. Then, after defeating the boss you'd obtain his weapon, each of which was the weakness of one of the others. So uts Man's Rolling Cutter would be used to fight Ice Man, while the Ice Beam or whatever it was called, was Fire Man's weakness. Then, once all the main bosses were neutralized you would unlock the lair of the real villain, in the case of Mega Man it's generally been Dr. Wiley. Of course his lair usually consisted of several levels all its own, each of which had its own boss or bosses, till finally you met Wiley himself.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2007-11-20 22:22:50

I'm not sure of what the AGM is capable of. But I bet you could easily incorporate the paper scissor rock hith engine easily enough. It is then a matter of atmosphere and attack and move sequence to give it a real time feel. That may be tricky in AGM, as I've said, I don't know what it is capable of.

Yo

2007-11-21 13:04:40

Not a whole lot, to be honest. Or rather it would be if not for some fairly serius bugs in the way audio is handled. For instance when you set an item to play a sound to let you know where it is until you pick it up, it continues to play the sound even after you pick it up. So far as I know there's no convenient way aroud it. Also, I don't think sounds pan properly in AGM, so you don't really know where stuff is. Even worse, if you create a monster and then test the game and kill it, the monster will still be there, still moving around and yes, still making noises and even, so I've heard, still attacking. So I'm sorry to say that most people seem to have abandoned the AGM as a bad job. It's quite depressing really, since the program had and still has a great deal of potential. But the fact that the manual is seriously outdated and therefore doesn't explain things very well only makes this situation worse.