2016-01-21 01:11:47

I got into an interesting debate with a friend of mine -- the topic scoped out companies and their "quest" for user control.

The argument, or question, was should companies be allowed to control users by any means of limitation or closed-sourced programs?

A modern example I can give is Code Factory's new NVDA add-on, providing full functionality to the Eloquence and Vocalizer synthesizers.  For $63.99, you are limited to three licenses/activations (one license per machine).  The idea my friend had was that, though stipulated by the license agreement, you, as the user, should be able to essentialy have unlimited access to licenses because you bought the product.

Moreover, and generally speaking, she had also mentioned that if you owned a copy of a product (I.E.: Jaws, Microsoft Office, etc), you should be able to personally "manufacture a copy" (note that is in quotes).  I'm not particularly sure what she means by "manufacture," since she isn't manufacturing anything, just copying the product itself on an individual basis, not as a company.  Furthermore, she also believes that if she is able to "manufacture a copy," you should then be able to distribute it to other users.

Now, I explained that it is both illegal to "manufacture a copy," and also distribute it other non-licensed users.  It is also illegal for said users to obtain said copy.  This opens up a whole spectrum of arguments left and right of "should we have government intervention upon the tyranny of third-party program manufacturers, sellers, and distributers?"  Should we as users control what these companies yearned to do?  If we all just produced copies of licensed shareware that we then give to others to save their wallets, wouldn't that mean a decline in company sales and therefore, dare I even mention, no future updates to the products we both love and need? (That was more of a rhetorical question).

I take the stance that when you purchase a piece of software, you are legally obligated to fulfill the license agreement.  These days (and even back before the wheel was invented), people spent all but no time reading through the license agreement upon purchasing and registering their software.  In Freedom Scientific's OpenBook, I took a look at the license agreement out of curiosity.  It stated, and I'm paraphrasing here, that you own the use of the program, not the program itself.  The license key grants you access to use the program, not to own it.

Now, she thinks that you should be able to own it regardless of what the company believes.  I'd like to equate this to the arrival of Europeans settlers in "the New World," or better yet, America.  The native Americans felt that if white men desired to use their land, it was perfectly okay, but they could not claim it as their own.  Out of pure greed and lust for dominating a land for their own, they "took" it because they could not stand by the promise that they could not have the shiny piece of paper that stated they took ownership of the land.

I know that's a little odd of a comparison, but it's the same concept -- I feel that if a company is competing in a capitalist economy, they have the right to implement criteria for the products they manufactuer (otherwise, they could take their kickball and go home).

What do you guys think?  Am I being too hung-ho of living the American dream, or is my friend onto something that could revolutionize the way companies distribute their products?

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2016-01-21 01:33:18

Hi interesting topic I have to say, I wil try getting over what I think about that.
I actualy think that the basis on which software is distributed these days is perfectly fine. I am not sure how companies should get money to produce new software if the model is changed.
One thing that might work is that there is a core tool of the program which everyone has to buy, but everyone can change and share different little enhancements for this core component so that everybody can use, just like linux or nvda for exampkle, I hope you get what I mean.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2016-01-21 03:01:28

This could go on and on, and I'm not in the right mood atm to get into it... I do remember a time when you could install as many copies of software as you wanted. Copy protection was scant, sometimes even non existent. Let's just say, I see both sides of it. Maybe when I get in a more philosophical mood, I'll come back to this.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2016-01-21 11:38:41

Yeah, ironcross pretty much summed it up.  There is no clear distinction between what makes something moral or ethical in such situations, save labeling something as legal or illegal when it is determined by legislation as such.  Suppose we take the topic and turn it into a discussion concerning music, which is something I work with.  Is a song worth 1 dollar and 99 cents if you only listen to it once or, if you buy it and never listen to it at all?  if you end up putting it on repeat and listen to it a thousand times is it still worth the same price?  Is it ideal to want to offer the song and any subsequent songs or albums to everyone at the same price if the only thing they want to do is listen and not distribute or stream the content or make it available by any means? Is it ideal to expect everyone to want to buy it at that price?  If we factor out the middleman in the equation, in this case, the record label, should the songs and albums in question still be worth the same price given that the artists will make more?

And the list of questions goes on and on, perpetuating the conflict.  One camp validly argues that music is not readily and quickly available in their country or countries at reasonable prices; sometimes not at all.  This camp turns around and pirates the music which is, by contrast and in unfairness being made available elsewhere because they truly want to listen to it, indirectly promoting it as a result since it is receiving more attention do to said piracy, which seems like a win win situation for the artists.  Another camp argues that this is no one's fault, that the problem lies in poor promotion and overseas legalities and whatnot.  This being the case, it is wrong to want a copy of the material.  Still another camp can validly claim that sharing music with one's friends over the internet is no worse than having them all over at your house listening on your stereo system, the key difference being that they can listen to a song they particularly like whenever without having to wait on you to flip a switch or push a button, a notion that has somewhat been tossed around at netflix who recently endorsed sharing your account with family and friends given the likelyhood that others become addicted to the content and wish to pay for it in future.
Soon enough all of these questions, suggestions, arguments and oppinions will become synonymous with every day life as multi billion dollar corporations struggle to acquire patents to claim ownership over anything and everything they can, from the materials and gestures that make and power your smart devices to DNA, to water, as Nestlé has tried to do recently.  Who has access and who should have access?  Since you can't fault the producer for wanting to make a proffit, and you can't fault the consumer for being drawn to those things that are proffitable, it's a debate you'll never win.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-01-22 00:22:41

I think your friend is advocating the Open Source Movement, which includes software like Linux, Blender, Mozilla FireFox, etc. There's an ongoing argument between Proprietary and Open Source proponents in a number of places, like the whole "piracy" issue. Suffice it to say, this is not a light topic of conversation, and it isn't anywhere near as cut and dry as you might imagine.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2016-02-08 23:54:14

I don't know if I would have picked the word manufacture to describe what your friend was talking about, but if I understood the core component of her argument correctly, she wanted to make copies of the software that she purchased for personal use only. if that's right, I can agree to a point. In some places, even taking a CD and putting it onto your computer to listen to it is technically illegal. This is just stupid, in my opinion, because you're not harming anyone, you're just ensuring that you don't lose the music that you paid for with your own money. What does it matter what medium you've purchased it in? If you have to go out and purchase it again, who's actually profitting? I understand that with software, it's somewhat different, but as Nocturnus said, it's a really complex topic with so many angles to consider that it's hard to even know where to begin to dissect it.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-02-09 03:27:27

Unfortunately.  We could even go so far as to argue that by taking a copy and storing it in a ton of places we are in essence preserving the data, which hardly sounds like a bad idea.  if a thousand copies are lost owing to mishandling or a natural disaster, millions more may exist elsewhere.  You know what?  I'm a musician, and if I lost my work as the result of some screwup or another, I'd like to know that someone else has it.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-02-09 06:35:17

in my eyes i have simplified things.  software venders will hate me, but here it goes.
1. if you buy a copy. and paid for it. it's yours. end of story.
2. if you live in a country ware you are paying 18 to 1 dollar. its even more reason to feel entitled. to have a feeling of. i worked hard for this piece of software or cd or song. it's mine to own now.
3. with this mind set. i can, and will. keep more then 1 backup copy. since if the one i just brought, gets lost. damaged, or fails. which, ever the case is, i still will have a backup copy.
so there you have it. most venders would not agree. but,  I've been following this measures for years now. and its worked for me. and worked for them. because i keep on going back to renew my subscriptions. or buy new versions.
I mean really, consider this. even the act of you keeping 2 copies of your license key mite be considered not legal. really? its ridiculous.

There's a place for me in this universe.