2015-12-20 09:09:35

Hello!
I would like to create some interactive fiction games, or games, like Wastes or Warsim. Where those two games were programmed?
Thank You!
Marco

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2015-12-20 23:12:12

Hm, looked at The Wastes and it mostly resembles BBS's and contemporary Rogue Likes, with a more linear slant. I don't know what he used to code it, but you could put something similar together with any number of languages. As mentioned in other threads, Python is the most recommended for beginners, though there are other languages or tools you could use such as BGT, a MUD engine, etc. If you choose to go the Python route there are others here who can help you, and you can find a tutorial to help you along here.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2018-09-18 01:44:55

The wastes and warsim were coded in C++ using Code::blocks IDE

Last Free Version of Warsim (0.6.8.7) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewnm4cehswu6m … m.zip?dl=1
Steam version of Warsim (0.7) - http://store.steampowered.com/app/65954 … na/?beta=0
Itch.io Version of Warsim (0.7) - https://huw2k8.itch.io/warsim

2018-09-18 15:15:13

If you are a beginner, Pure Basic is your best bet IMHO

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2018-09-18 16:26:11

@post4 sorry, but I do not agree

Paul

2018-09-18 18:39:50

Why?

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.

2018-09-18 19:31:00

Note: with this post, I do not mean to start a drama, or a flamewar, but I'd rather want to understand your motivations for recommending pure basic as a first start. Here are my doubts.
Since I haven't touched Purebasic my self, I won't go in technical detail, but the reason for me disagreeing  with purebasic as a start, is that it's not free.
Yeah, you could say, it's cheap, but I don't really know. Anyway, why would a beginner, who does not know nothing about programming should choose a paid one? What does it have to offer more than other languages free and opensource out there? What if for example, the person does not like the language for say, no OOP? If he paid for it, he'll just feel as if he got ripped off. I know my doubts could sound stupid, but I'm really curious to understand.
Oh also, I'd consider that some people could not afford it, (my self included).

Paul

2018-09-18 20:38:40

Yeah, that is right. The reason I recommended it is that:
1. The demo has a limitation of 800 code lines. It will be enough for the engine like it, and if he likes the syntax he might get PB.
2. Doing crossplatform is easy
3. Python has one problem, that is a big one for blind beginners IMO, this problem's name is of course indentation.

2018-09-18 22:35:11

Indentation is really not a problem. I thought it would be as well, but it really isn't.

2018-09-19 15:56:05

I don't know why you would use a functional programming language over an object oriented one nowadays. Also, yes, it is not free, I haven't checked on it in a while, but the last time I did it was like $90USD.

As for indentation, it's really a non-issue. Just be consistent about it and you'll be fine. NVDA now actually ships with indent reporting that plays tones when you navigate indent blocks. The tones only change when the level of indentation changes. SO, if you are arrowing down, and you hear nothing, it means you're in the same block, or same level of indentation. I could have a loop that starts on line 15 and goes to line 90, and in that loop, I'd have three sets of if statements at level 2, since the loop itself would be level 1, inside one of those ifs, i'd nest another one at level 3, etc. I would then hear tones to indicate when the indent changes. I'd know I was still inside that same block of code if I heard nothing. Also, this feature works equally well with tabs or spaces.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-09-19 16:26:13

I used to have this misconception, yes that's all it really is. If anything, I'd much rather indentation as opposed to braces. Whereas in most C style and even basic languages I've gotta go up and see how far nested I am, indentation allows for going to the beginning of any line and using basic logic.

Also, there's a must-have NVDA add-on called indentnav. It's saved me a lot of time, especially given that my development workflow essentially consists of notepad and the command prompt. In any text field, you can move up or down indentation levels.

https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/ … av.en.html

In fact, I've even started indenting C . Most large open-source projects require code to be indented regardless of language, so it's just a good habit to get into.

2018-09-19 17:29:13

Ironcross, I'd say there are many developers who would choose a functional programming language over an object oriented one.  One is not superior to the other, we just have an entire generation trained in college to use only OOP after the big companies adopted the small cog in a big machine approach with their development teams.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software