2007-11-08 04:31:08 (edited by Mike 2007-11-08 04:33:43)

Hi,
There is a public beta of JAWS 9.0 out, which is available to any JAWS 8 user. I've been using this beta, and I just wanted to let you know that it raelly stinks. I was just having a problem with my computer and ran jaws 8 to see if that would fix it. It didn't but I noticed how much faster it was. I never noticed in my 2 weeks of using 9.0 just how laggy and slow it was. Hopefully this will be fixed in the final release, but for me, no more beta testing for FS. FS major jaws updates that don't actually get much better. Seriously it doesn't have any major new features at all. So, I would not test this if I were you.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-11-08 10:36:43

Are you sure this isn't a system specific issue? Or a conflict with other software you're running? Always best to check on another computer.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-11-08 11:43:02

I would like to nuance this a little. After all, I have also met people that said that Hal (from Dolphin) was a slow and stinking screenreader, whereas I still think it is the very best available. And before we start this well-known screenreader war again: I have used all three major screenreaders and NVDA. I'm also aware that this is just my opinion. Anyway, I'd give FS another chance. <smile>

2007-11-08 13:35:04

This is not a screen reader war, and lets not make it one. This is simply Jaws 8 vs Jaws 9. I would just like some verification over whether this is an across the board issue, or just that something new in 9 has slowed Mike's system down and caused trouble.

Could potentially be the video intercept if it affects both 8 and 9 incidentally, that is one thing both versions would use and likely be using the same version of since it loads before the screen reader as I understand it.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-11-09 01:47:44 (edited by Mike 2007-11-09 01:49:14)

Hi, Well I ran one after the other and clearly saw a considerable lag in JAWS 9 vs. JAWS 8. It's not a huge lag but its definitely noticeable. It's only a beta and they'll probably fix it but it they don't, I'll have to say JAWS is going out the window. Ryan, I don't think I have Victim.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-11-09 02:50:58

No, you don't. Acccording to Tyler you would hear constant music coming through your box which you don't.

2007-11-09 14:17:45

Firstly, a look at Windows Task Manager is never bad. You might run into some unknown, harmful processes. However, I don't think that's the case here, since JFW 8.0 runs fine.
And secondly, there are obviously certain settings that'd slow your screenreader down when turned on (e.g. the whole speech department and the onscreen braille display).

2007-11-09 14:45:23

Honestly ryan, over board with the security! Tyler would be making your SAPI go 40 minutes till self distruct and be playing music in your box...

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2007-11-16 17:53:14

I've gotten 0, you've probably gotten that  one because you medal yourself to far into the security and you get people wanting to get rid of you because you will report them. you understand my jist?

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2007-11-16 22:40:01

Yeah, Look at me, I'm no securety freak, but the only spyware I've ever gotten is junk from going on crack sites and from my friends going on myspace and that kind of crap, but never gotten any sort of Victim or blind hacker program.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-11-17 03:08:47

Any site can get you infected, or emails. Lets not blame being targeted, it is quite possibly just random chance. Now going on crack sites is a very good way to get yourself infected with all sorts of rubbish, part of the reason quite aside from ethics that I don't go near them with a barge pole.

cx2
-----