2015-12-06 07:57:35

No thanks, that sounds too much like piracy for my tastes.

By paying for my nusic through a reputable source, I know the music in my library has been legally acquired and the artists have been paid for their work.

2015-12-06 08:10:13

And plus, by buying music instead of downloading it of youtube, you can be assured it's the highest quality. At least, most all songs from mp3va should be. Typically, unless the song's ancient, it should be at least 256k. The newer ones are even 320k. The previews are only worbled for security purposes. If you for whatever reason get a low quality song with your purchase they will help you sort that out if you contact them

2015-12-06 13:19:46 (edited by Sebby 2015-12-06 14:19:53)

Your techno-recalcitrance is incurable, Mr. Dark. A terminal case, I fear. I was just in iTunes on Doze recently--in version 12.1.3 for XP with JAWS, in fact--and although I found myself gritting my teeth and swearing and tabbing a lot for lack of other options, I did eventually figure it all out and learn keystrokes necessary to jump all over the place in short order. I'm certainly sympathetic to your position that you should (a) have choice and (b) be able to practically exercise it, but since it wasn't long before everything snapped into place and I found myself back in la-la land again, I'm wondering if maybe the real problem is simply that you don't have the absurd levels of naive optimism that I do. big_smile

And as I think I've said before now, albeit that you do need to put a bit more work in and may even sometimes need scripts, it is entirely possible to achieve consistency with tags and file system, such that either your own organisational structure remains in place and iTunes merely refers to those files, or iTunes maintains folder and file names that are, in fact, very friendly to filesystem-based playback, including from within iTunes itself if you have the associations set up. It's the default behaviour, actually. Obviously if you don't need anything from iTunes that you don't already have from your organisational arrangement and players that's not a very interesting revelation, but I can assure you that it helps me enormously. I understand your argument though; here's an old thread from an Apple user who prefers WinAmp on Apple's support community, which makes the case for the existing, filesystem-based, structured, tagless approach.

Figment: use Ninite to get your Windows software without the crap. Adobe products are no longer available from there because Adobe are tossers, but most everything else you would need is.

And as for your Zune+iTunes woes, you might find this amusing. Microsoft, bless their little hearts, actually implemented folder watching correctly, where Apple did not--and continues not to do so.

Now for everyone, the real question is: what about audiobooks that are DRM-free? Is downpoor.com actually any good? Is there a way to strip Audible DRM in a pure (i.e. lossless, without re-encoding) manner?

Edit: links, clarifications.

Just myself, as usual.

2015-12-06 16:14:35

Sebby I say unto yee, scripting? retagging? meh! apple can take Itunes and their Orwellian organization and shove it up their vertical device hole! If people happen to like it, fare enough, but Apple should try and give alternatives for those who don't instead of trying to monopolize everyone into their own little corporate  desire satisfaction box.  In fairness it's not just Apple that does this, it's a pretty common thing across the world, call something "choice" by providing just one alternative and setting the price for that alternative, brave new world here we come.
But less philosophically, I'm personally just happy with what I'm doing, especially with the Victor.

As to Mp3va, well charts don't interest me in the least, so hopefully they have more stuff than that.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-12-06 16:25:04 (edited by jack 2015-12-06 16:36:03)

Yes, they do. Mp3va, being specifically! a music shop, has a constantly growing library, and sometimes has stuff that region-locked itunes would not. If for some reason a song or album isn't available, they do take requests, however so that they don't have overflowing requests, you must've deposited a good bit into your account for them to prioritize your request, simplly because, well, they'd have to get the songs.
As for itunes, I think Apple probably prioritizes making itunes accessible on their very own platforms. Back when I was still using itunes on windows, I would just buy the songs, convert them from m4a to mp3, then locate them in the my music folder and copy them over to my stream. Only hard part was buying and converting, simply because, itunes for windows makes it a long process. Plus, converting to mp3 doesn't delete the m4a version, so I have to copy the stuff individually so that the m4a doesn't copy, to insure compatibility with all my devices, wince while the stream supports m4a, the braillenote still does not! And yes, admitedly, I do use that to play music, sometimes.

2015-12-06 19:20:20

@Jack, Mp3va seemed to have a weerd organization. I was looking to see if it had stuff I'd be interested in, but instead of giving a standard search list of results,it seemed to have several lists, which was confusing, then if I looked under genre such as film soundtracks it just gave a lot of sub genre boxes and the "best sold" which meant about 13, for example there was nothing by John Williams under  soundtracks which seems loopy to me.
Indeed, I was just trying to search for the soundtrack to the film Hook, which as I said was rereleased in 2013, but I couldn't even get a john williams discography.

Then again, this is one reason I don't like all this "artist" stuff, sinse in anorchestra who is the artist? the composer? the conductor?

Any suggestions? The site might be a good thing but I'd prefer to check it's got the sort of stuff I want before I go sinking money into it, and as I said, charts just don't interest me in the least.

As to itunes, I did try converting a cd into itunes, but then couldn't find where the tracks had gone, (I looked in my music but no go), that's why I don't trust buying from the thing.
M4a format would be okay in and of itself, but not if the stuff is locked into itunes forever more amen, which seemed to be the case.

I have heard itunes is better on Mac in terms of basic access to the program, but even if I do get a mac I don't see the point o changing my entire media collection and organization around, particularly sinse I've customized winamp for my quad speakers anyhow.
If there ever is a way to buy from itunes on my Iphone and then directly extract the files via usb to do with as I want I might try that, but I doubt that will happen.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-12-06 20:02:07

Yeah, after a while I pretty much figured out iTunes as well, though not to the level Sebby has, as I'm still tabbing around.

I suspect that making iTunes accessible on Macs gets a much higher priority than it does for the Windows version. Which only proves that accessibility isn't an altruistic desire for Apple, it's just a money grabbing marketing scheme to sell more of their products.

Then there is the format you get your music in, I prefer MP3s, it may not be the best or highest quality format, but it does have the benefit that, as far as I can tell, it doesn't support any form of embedded DRM, so I can play my music on anything I want to.

Sure iTunes has the ability to convert the M4A files to MP3s, but then you end up with two copies of the music in your library, and if you go in and delete the M4As, you end up with dead tracks in your library.

So after discovering that, I stopped buying music from iTunes. At least then, after putting the new MP3 tracks where I wanted them, I could manually add them to my library.

I'm now at the point of wondering why I should continue using iTunes at all? So I've decided to abandon my iPod and switch to the Victor Reader Stream as my media player.

What, mp3va doesn't have John Williams? Wrong, try again, I just searched for "Star Wars" and the first album that came back in the search results was "Star Wars Trilogy" by John Williams.

It's possible that searching for "Williams, John" won't work where searching for "John Williams" will.

2015-12-06 21:40:13

@Figment, I found Itunes workable up until version 12 where they killed the side bar headings so there wasn't a way to know which bit of the tree I was on. Whether this has been solved with a supernova map file in a future version I don't know, but any program who's accessibility requires information which was! on screen and has been taken off in a so called version upgrade doesn't get much cop with me, particularly sinse generally speaking Supernova is very good at just reading and running with stuff by default without any scripting or whatever.

That was the last straw, after all this playlist library crap I had had enough and gave Itunes the heave ho.

With Mp3va I thought It'd work searching for starwars sinse that is a title, but I'm not interested in starwars music as I already have that, I wanted to know what they had by the composer john williams. I searched under John Williams first, and then under williams john, but got as I said some confusing lists of results in different genre categories or whatever, and lets not even go into what happened when I tried searching for "hook" or "hook film soundtrack" or "hook soundtrack"

Why the site has all this genre mallarchy instead of giving me a basic title search I don't know. Still, if it's setup for, and mainly does just pop music charts it's probably not going to be much help to me.

2015-12-06 22:28:10

WEll, it doesn't just do pop music charts. Sure, you see the number1's on the site, but like I said there's stuff on there that wouldn't even be on the leading digital music venders, either because of region or because, well, it just isn't available on those stores. Google play music has the same suggestions system on the main page as well, so no difference there.

2015-12-07 00:05:45

There's no doubt that iTunes isn't a first-class citizen on Windows, or vice-versa. It is definitely slower and less refined. Still, for the constraints of the Windows ecosystem including the way screen readers work, I think Apple have made it as clean and as well-integrated as possible. Most of the "Bloat" people find in iTunes is actually just libraries that Apple ported over from Mac OS to Windows so it could run iTunes on top of those substrates, which while it clearly suits Apple very well, doesn't make for happy hardcore Windows users. This is, in all important respects, no different from the situation Mac users face running MS Office; the Windows experience using Office is just plain better. No doubt also a very non-altruistic scheme to screw the blind. smile

Check under Help, Keyboard Shortcuts. There are quite a few of them. If you are on JAWS make sure you have the latest updates, and if you want even more speed there's JTunes. The FSCast on iTunes was also quite informative. I found Window-Eyes to be more responsive than any other screen reader using iTunes, which makes sense since Apple specifically suggests it, but I don't see why you should have any difficulty no matter your screen reader of choice; it simply takes a good bit of getting used to it. And I think you'll find that iTunes is very important in the education sector, so the chances of accessibility being compromised in the future are probably quite small. It'd be nice if they allowed access to their stores without the application though; I'm sure that would go a long way for many typical use cases.

You can tell if a music file is protected because the extension is "m4p". If it isn't, and it won't be for any music tracks you now buy, you have DRM-free. Your stream will play these files, and since converting between lossy formats is not a very good idea, I'd recommend you download and keep your originals. I'm glad there are accessible alternatives for purchasing though. The real catch is the iBook store; some of what they sell is, and some is not, protected, and you don't find out until you purchase it. Everything else is DRM, of course.

In tangentially related news: iTunes Match now allows the upload of 100,000 tracks (up from 25,000).

Just myself, as usual.

2015-12-07 01:02:47

@Dark, I see what you mean now, I tried the search for "John Williams" and noticed that many of the albums that were movie soundtracks were classified as easy listening or orchestral when they really should have been classified as soundtracks. It just means that you may have to try several different searches to find what you want. Still, it does show that their indexing of their collection could be better.

If I recall correctly, the sidebar was already gone or I was unaware of it when I first started using iTunes because of the purchase of an iPod about two years ago. It's possible it was there and I was just unaware of it, at that time I was new to JAWS too. After I was a lot more familiar with JAWS I tried several iTune scripts for JAWS and found that not one of them made iTunes any better and that most made it worse since iTunes had been changed since they were written and the script's author apparently weren't all that concerned about keeping the script up to date. I even tried BlindTunes, a JAWS script being sold as a commercial product, and it wasn't any better than most of the other free script, or iTunes all by itself without the help of any scripts.

So for now, iTune will be stripped back to just being a way to backup my iPhone. Now if only there was a way to move the iTunes data folder out of the music folder.

There are some other digital music stores I want to look at, though I think most employ the use of some proprietary downloader and may also emply some form of DRM.

2015-12-07 01:53:33

@Figment, I don't mind the categorisation, but it sort of annoyed me that you couldn't have a basic list of search results, ie, all the albums with the name john williams of whatever genre but had to look in different random genre categories. If there is a way to just display all results and miss out the genre thing that'd be much better.

As to Itunes, sinse the sidebar labels went bye bye in 2014, you probably had them at the start, indeed I suspect part of the reason you found Itunes got worse was the lack of such as much as anything with Jaws scripts.

I probably would've tried to live without them if I hadn't already been pretty annoyed with Itunes anyway what with all it's ridiculous functions and silly tree structure and lack of compatibility with any sensiblle layout.
As I've said before, I really don't like this modern tendency of chucking everything on screen at once at letting sighted users sort out what is where, as opposed to giving a more streamlined access to information with more standard lists and different parts of the display hidden etc, still more because another modern conceit is no ability to customize the interface at all! ever!

2015-12-07 02:17:32

@Dark

Above each results table there is usually a link to see all results, did you try any of those?

You're probably right about the sidebar. When I first got the iPod and was trying to load my music library on it, I found it so frustrating that I eventually got sighted help to do the initial sync. After that, for over a year, I avoided the iTunes program. It wasn't until a couple of months ago that I got enough courage and determination to try to get to some point of being able to do something useful with it.

It doesn't take long to figure out that the iTunes user interface is very cluttered. That was one of the reasons why I went through the view menu and turned off anything that didn't need to be visible all the time. Most of that stuff can be accessed via the pull down menus when you need them. That helped a bit with the clutter, but it was still pretty messy.

Cluttered user interfaces was one of the reasons why I liked Microsoft's ribboned user interfaces in Office, instead of all those options in all those ribbons being on the screen all the time, they are only on the screen when you need them. You do have to learn which ribbons things are on, but for the most part the ribbons name help with that.

I don't recall the names of the programs now, but I did run into several programs that had "What You See Is What You Need" user interfaces. Basically what was in the menus and toolbars depended on what the cursor was focused on. It made for a fairly clean and mean user interface and I recall hoping the idea would catch on.

Since iTunes is being relegated to the task of backing up my iPhone and nothing else, I am looking at CD rippers, At present I'm considering Audio Grabber, Deep Ripper, and MP3 Ripper. Audio Grabber and MP3 Ripper offer both free and paid for versions. Deep Ripper is meant as a companion to Deep Burner which is available in a free and paid for version. For the most part, the disc burning functions built into Windows is all I need, but there are times when you need a disc authoring tool like Deep Burner, so I may go that route, it will all depend on how accessible the programs are.

2015-12-07 12:32:47

Figment, for your library files, see Edit > Preferences > Advanced. You'll find the path under iTunes media folder. You can change it. By default it lives in your Windows system music folder in your home folder.

As for ribbons, I can't stand them. I'm sure they must be very convenient visually, but from an accessibility perspective they're an absolute bloody nightmare. The critical issue is that because they are essentially bounded two-dimensional structures, there's no way to simply use one pair of arrow keys to navigate them. If you press the right-arrow to move, but have reached the end of the ribbon, you instead move vertically, with the focus positioned on the next vertical row which is at that horizontal position. Hence, one cannot simply go back as one could in a simple menu structure. Another win for the Mac. big_smile

Just myself, as usual.

2015-12-07 16:09:46

@Figment, I did the same with itunes, turning off everything, which indeed was how I found the sidebar thing sinse I noticed much more hassle and far less feedback about position when I turned it off as opposed to when it was on, a shame Apple did away with it altogether in Itunes 12.
As to Ribbons, I'm afraid I'm with Sebby here, give me a streight menue with clear submenues any day that has horizontal categories and vertical subcategories.
I also personally am not a huge fan of curser specific stuff sinse generally you need to pin the curser to wherever you want before looking at the top of the screen with a virtual curser, which is just needless extra hassle and memorization where as an old style menue bar just has everything in the same place whatever.
A menu bar doesn't have to clutter the interface, you can hide them and just get there with alt.

However, this is again why there should be customizable interfaces rather than the tendency of "you will get what your given and like it!" which is something both Apple and Microsoft are guilty of.

As to Mp3va, yeah, i checked all those "all results" but with the results spread over different random genres I wasn't exactly sure which link was best to look where for something like John Williams. I'll have another go and see if I can make a bit more sense of the thing.

2015-12-07 16:10:43

Sebbby, Thanks for that on iTunes, it will get my iPhone backup files out of my music folder.

That may be true when using NVDA, but in JAWS, if you turn on the "Use Ribbons" option, the perception to the user is that they are navigating through classic pull down menus with wrap around at either end of the menu bar and at the top and bottoms of each pull down menu. +1 for JAWS and Windows.

2015-12-07 16:41:33

Anything you buy ends up in your media folder. iPhone backups themselves are stored somewhere under the AppData structure, I think, but you'll of course need iTunes to restore those to your iPhone should the need arise. Usually I recommend encrypting your iPhone backup and then taking one just before doing anything big, such as updating. Otherwise, I find iOS pretty reliable and the only time one needs a backup is when one is transferring from one device to the next. Encrypted backups are required because your keychain is never backed up to an unencrypted file.

You mean "Virtual ribbons" in JAWS, yes, you can approximate menus, but you will find that the approximation is only so good. You lose accelerator commands, can't press initial letters to jump to the menu items, etc. I always ended up leaving the option off and just suffering in silence, or finding a proper way to turn off the ribbons (various hacks that patch system DLLs). It's not as nice as classic menus. It would, as Dark said, be nice to have that choice.

Just myself, as usual.

2015-12-07 16:50:55

Dark,

I agree, the classic pulldown menus are better, with the menus lined up horizontaly, left and right arrows, then the submenus verticle, up and down arrows. When the "Use Ribbins" is turned off, the ribbons are a pain, but when it is turned on, the ribbons are rearranged so that each ribbon is a menu just like in a menu bar, and the contents of each ribbon is the vertical pulldown menu. You can't make the ribbons go away, but with the "use Ribbins" option they may as well not be there.

If you are at all interested in mp3va, experiment with it a bit, their indexing and cateforizing sometimes leaves something to be desired, but if they have what you are looking for, you'll eventually find it.

I dropped Audio Grabber from my list of CD rippers to look at, I don't know how good it is, but Microsoft Smart screen filtering indicated that it was unsafe. So I deleted it.

2015-12-07 16:57:41

Sebby,

I agree that real pulldown menus would be best of all the couices we are given. As much as it help, I have found that not only does the "Use Ribbons" option rearrange the ribbons into some semplance of pulldown menus, but it also removes some choices that I know for certain are there from before I lost my vision and used Office daily. I can forgive if they can't make the menu hot keys work, but leaving out menu choices is just plain dumb.

Someday I may try turning off the option to see if that brings back all the choices that were originally ther.

2015-12-07 17:01:28

@FigmentI'll check mp3va and see.

As to audio grabber, actually that's the one program you mentioned I have used, usually when windows media player got wrong information for a disc I wanted to rip or when it was a none standard disc, such as an audiobook a friend gave me.

Neither Avg nor Malware bites nor my computer had any problems at all, so I suspect this is a false positive for microsoft.

My only issue with audio grabber was that I couldn't work out how to download track info from the internet, or even if it had that function at all, hence why I continued with plane old wmp.

Apart from that thoughno problem, though of course audiograbber is a much more complex program with a lot of different functions that those more into sound design  would be interested in.

2015-12-07 17:20:42

I used to be a great fan of CDex, but it looks like they've got into the spyware business. So I'm not going to recommend that.

It looks like Audiograbber is "Potentially unwanted software" because if you're not careful it can install some affiliate software like Funmoods search. Be careful when installing not to accept anything extra. This is generally good advice, of course.

Just myself, as usual.

2015-12-07 17:22:52

iTunes creates a folder in your music folder called iTunes, in it iTunes puts media files added to your library by ripping, purchase, or manually. Why they do that instead of just putting the file directly in your library, I don't know. the Microsoft Zune software did the same thing, but unlike iTunes, you could move the files to your main library and the software adapted by adding references to the files you moved to your library and removing the references to the file in the inbound folder. iTunes stubbornly held on to the original file references even though they were now invalid and didn't want to recognize the new files where you moved them.

The iTunes folder in your music folder also contains all the backup files for those devices you are using iTune to backup.

Since I will now be using iTunes strictly as a backup program, the only thing that will be in the iTunes folder will be my backup files, so it isn't appropriate for the iTunes folder to be in my music library.

2015-12-07 17:34:20

Sebby,

After what happened with Media Monkey, I don't trust software that comes with tag alongs.

Unlike with most such programs, where you have a chance to opt out before the tag alongs are installed, with Media Monkey you are required to allow the tag alongs to be installed, you can then uninstall them after the fact if you don't want them. Normally that would work, but several of the tag alongs with Media Monkey are known malware. To recover my system I had to run System restore from the Talking Windows PE, because my Windows was rendered unusable.

So now, I will avoid any programs that have tab alongs in their installer unless I know I will be given the chance to opt out first.

Since ther sere two other promising CD rippers to look at, it didn't bother me one bit to drop Audio Grabber.

2015-12-07 18:18:19

The iTunes folder is your library. You're supposed to like the iTunes layout and accept that your library is managed by iTunes, and any changes that you will ever want to make will be from within iTunes. The option to change your media folder merely changes where files will end up. That's apparently Apple's feeling, anyway. Unlike WMP, iTunes relies on the concept of centralisation and doesn't like it when you change file locations. The only way to change this is to tell iTunes never to copy files into the media libraries, and instead manually point to the existing files you have; the library database then refers to whatever you point at. But of course this is of no help if the person managing the directory structure is not the same person managing the iTunes database, as happens on a central media server where everybody is contributing. Such is Apple's overbearing hubris. Naturally I don't endorse WMP either: it also relies on tags, and the best you can do to turn off the library is simply to ask it never to add to the library when you play a file; you still can't automatically tag media just by renaming it in the filesystem. iTunes always does this automatically when you update tags, whether the file is copied into the media library or not, and there is no way to turn it off. So, if you want to avoid adding to the library, use another media player. This difference in philosophy I think very nicely illustrates the Mac/Windows divide, insofar as Apple optimises for the case that you will appreciate what it provides you, whereas on Windows the overriding concern is the availability of interfaces. Both approaches have their advantages and their disadvantages.

I'm glad you've found your backup data. On Mac OS that data is stored separated from the media folder, in "~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup". If you have no other use for iTunes then I'd simply leave the directories alone because there won't be anything valuable in there, and unless you want to make a further backup, they're doing fine where they are. Just move your media folder outside the Music folder so it isn't polluting your other uses of that folder.

Just myself, as usual.

2015-12-07 18:32:34

Figment, I had no idea MediaMonkey was now shipping spyware. I just checked and the download page seemed reassuringly legitimate, at mediamonkey.com.

Are you saying that you had no indication of bad things to come, installed the package, and then had to uninstall clear cases of spyware?

I agree that in principle one should not even download the spyware, but I also don't see an alternative. The software is free, and either the software's creator or the bandwidth host needs to get paid. You just have to be very careful. Download directly from the developer's site and make sure you opt out of the crap, if any. Much of it comes from third-party download hosts like SourceForge or download.com, so don't use those.

Just myself, as usual.