2015-12-01 00:38:58 (edited by Figment 2015-12-01 00:38:15)

Well, I've finally had enough of struggling with the piece of crap Apple calls iTunes for Windows. For a company that seems to pride itself on how accessible its products are to the handicapped, they seemed to have completely dropped the ball on this one. Maybe that's because it runs on Windows instead of a Mac, so they don't care.

Like, Dark, I just ordered a Victor Reader Stream from HumanWare. It looks really neat, especially with its built in access to BARD and Book Share.

The iPod will be cleared of all my personal stuff, reset to factory specs,  and sold on eBay.

Unfortunately I'll have to keep iTunes around so I can backup my iPhone, but that's all I'll use it for. Pity there isn't a streamlined program that's designed just to do iPhone backups.

So now I need a new source to buy my music MP3s from. I looked at Amazon, but their music delivery system seems pretty inaccessible to me.

So where do you guys and gals get your music? Preferably in MP3 format and preferably in the US.

I'll also need something to help me manage my music library. I don't need something with tons of features, I'd rather have something simple and easy to use and access, and I'll sacrifice features to get it.

Thanks!

2015-12-01 06:05:13

Actually, you can download music from Amazon now. It's a bit backwards, but it works. Once you purchase an album, it will ask you if you want to use the Amazon downloader. Simply click on the link that says "no thanks" or something similar. it will take you to a page where you can download the album (or albums) as a zip file. It's pretty neat, and is a recent addition.

there are a couple of other sources you can try, though. CD Baby and Bandcamp come to mind, although Bandcamp is more for independent artists. CD Baby carries all kinds of stuff, and is very accessible. You just purchase your albums using Pay Pal, go to your account overview, click on digital downloads, and select the album you want. It then downloads as a zip file.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2015-12-01 06:15:24

Looking for a good music shop, there's mp3va.com. You don't need any client software, and there aren't any nags about downloading using such things. What's more, the music is insanely cheap from there which at first made me question if the site is really legit, but this company is not based in the US or any surrounding nations so isn't limited to charging a minimum of $0.69, $0.99 or $1.29. What I really like about this site, is that if an album has bonus tracks that aren't released on itunes or google play music, then chances are if you look at mp3va it'll be there. For example, the two bonus tracks in Shinedown's Threat to Survival album weren't on itunes, but are on mp3va.com.

2015-12-01 06:29:05

Now, that's a new one. I've never heard of that site until now. I'll have to check it out.

Bandcamp is also insanely cheap, but, as I said, there aren't any big name artists on there. It's worth exploring if you want to expand your music horizons, though. And you can sometimes get 5 or 6-track EP's for as little as a dollar. You can also name your price, depending on how each band has it configured, so you can often get stuff for free as well.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2015-12-01 06:34:03 (edited by Figment 2015-12-01 06:39:11)

That may have changed.

I just tried to purchase an album today from Amazon, I was never offered the option to not use their downloader, and when I tried to use it, I found it totally inaccessible.

I got them to cancel and refund the order, then, for now, ordered CDs, I'll just rip them to MP3s myself.

Jack,

That site sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out.

2015-12-01 07:14:25

Ah. That's interesting, and not in a good way. They changed that offering only a couple of months ago, so I thought my information was current. I buy music from Amazon so infrequently, though, that it very well could have changed again. But if that's the case, it really sucks, as you're absolutely right, the music downloader was never accessible.

2015-12-01 11:12:34

Personally, i never had one source for music.  Sometimes I'd get cds, sometimes I'd buy from bandcamp or locally from the people themselves, sometimes I'd do a swap with friends or family members, it was usually a case of working out what I wanted and where to get it than using a specific provider, but then again I don't give a monkey's behind about latest charts or anything like that.

For organization, files and folders and organizing myself has always been my preference, which is as I've said before another reason Itunes got right on my whick, indeed even when I used the Iphone regularly I refuse to buy from one company if I can't play the file on whatever device or whatever program I desire to.
I have some cds (including the soundtrack to final fantasy 7), that are now nearly 20 years old, and which after I digitized them I've played on all sorts of things from sterrios to laptops to my victor and yes even my Iphone when i was using it.

I'll also add Figment, you don't have to keep Itunes around for backups either. Go to settings and Icloud backups, and you can select to backup all your contacts, phone numbers etc, so when you get a new Ios device you can just download streight from the cloud, and of course any aps you pay for and most in ap purchices are backed up to your Apple Id anyway.

I'll say it was good to give Itunes the heave ho, and I've been infinitely happier with my victor stream this last year, despite the extra expense.

Btw, just in case you didn't know the Victor will also stream digital radio stations provided you connect it to wifi. I'll say it's nice to be able to get classic fm.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-12-01 11:31:52

hello,
a very good topic. as for music players, i am planning to sell my ipod nano 6th generation, all because of my maybe lazyness to use iTunes all the time to put audiobooks, music or whatever in it, so yeah. instead i am getting the sansa clip mp3 player, nothing extra. one usb cable, and a player, where you put content simply by copying. i will buy an additional 64 gigabite micro sdxc card for it, and thats it. but same as the other poster, i will keep my iPhone for apps, and other tasks, just not music.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2015-12-01 12:35:35

I'm certainly not getting rid of my Iphone,and while I haven't bothered with the Iphone 6 series (not enough differences from my Iphone 5 to make it worth while), I'll have a look at the 7 series. The aps and games and contacts and other useful stuff is indeed worth it for the Iphone, it's just a shame Apple make things so dam difficult with Itunes, indeed I partly wonder if this is deliberate obstruction, trying to force you to buy stuff through their proprietory program so Apple get their cut instead of letting you be free with your own collection. Then again forced monopoly is very much modern economic practice, Brave new world hear we come!

Getting back to the subject, what put me off the Sansa (aside from it being named after the most annoying character of game of thrones), was the software used for the interface elements and naming of files. While I know you run the program and it effectively records the interface element names and your file names with your sapi voice and then plays them, I didn't like the idea of elements of that program being inaccessible and the recording part being a separate peace of software.
Yes it's a much cheaper option, but at the same time I didn't want to swap one semi usable annoying peace of file transfer software for another hence why I went the hole hog with the Victor stream which has in built tts and will just read off your file and folder names by default.

My only issue with the stream, is firstly there is a limited choice of voices and I don't know if there is a way to get additional ones, (I'd much rather have Realspeak daniel or Orphius Alan), and secondly I don't seem to be able to change the voice speed without changing the book/audio playback speed, though in fairness I probably ought to phone Humanware tech support and ask about both of these, sinse at least with the speed I'm fairly sure there is something I'm missing.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-12-01 17:13:48

Turtle,

I don't buy music very often either. My music library is full, so the only time I need to add to it is when I discover a song or album I want. So it's been at least a couple of years since the last time I bought music from Amazon.

I see you are in the US, so that eliminates US versus UK Amazon sites.

Do you use Amazon's full site or their screen reader optimized site? I use their screen reader optimized site. That may also be why our experiences are different.

Dark,

Yeah, I saw the streaming radio feature, I'll enjoy that because there are a couple of radio stations in Chicago I really liked and even though I'm in Florida now, I'd still like to listen to them.

I noticed that about the voices, on Humanware's web site there appeared to be only three English voices available. For playback speed, while I have JAWS speeded, I find that when listening to talking or books, I prefer them at normal speed, so that problem shouldn't affect me.

Even though it is another proprietary system like iTunes, I really liked the library manager that Microsoft put together for their Zune menia players. It had a very clean and intuitive user interface, it's only problem as far as I'm concerned is that it isn't screen reader accessible, otherwise, I'd be using it right now, even if I couldn't use the Zune media player itself. But that is in line with the Zune media players themselves, they have no accessibility functions at all. The primary reason I want a media manager is to create play lists, if the Victor Reader Stream supports them.

2015-12-01 18:04:42

I may have answered the question of a media file manager. I remembered seeing one on one of the may audio games sites I visited when I first learned of audio games for the blind Anyway, it looks interesting.

BrailleSoft wrote:

I am proud to announce a new program, the Music Categorizer. I am sure we all have had these problems whether you're blind or sighted when dealing with multiple MP3'S:
•Finding out where the MP3 is located on your computer

•Instantly adding your favorite MP3'S to a playlist of your choice to be played by any player capable of reading .m3u type playlists. (WinAmp)

•Instantly deleting MP3'S you cannot stand from your computer

•Renaming or moving MP3'S instantly that you like and wished you could find later on by its filename.

•Create a new folder, and instantly move all MP3's to it.

•Copy MP3'S to another drive for easier access, or to be burned to CD and/or copied to your PDA instantly

•Easily switch from one MP3 to another

•and more...

Do all this while the MP3 plays. And do it all for just $10. Or try out The Demo before you buy!

http://www.braillesoft.net/doswin.htm

2015-12-01 18:55:42

@wanderer, thanks for the sansa description, atleast i know, what i have to expect. yes, i like the folder structure idea, and its simplicity. do you have an additional memory card in it, e.g an 64 gb one? i heard, these can be formatted too, so they work with the player. on the talkingmp3players.com website, they talk about an sdxc type card.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2015-12-01 20:05:43

The only SD cards that need to be specially formatted are the 64GB ones. That was my understanding when I bought my Clip Plus, anyway. Incidentally, I love that player too. I've had mine since sometime in July, and I love being able to copy and paste whatever I want onto the thing without needing any extra software.

I don't care for the folder structure, though. I really wish it had a feature like the original Braille Plus did where it would automatically organize your files. That way, if I wanted to listen to a specific song, I would be able to locate it by artist. I know I could have created artist folders manually, but that would have been a pain. And 95% of the time, I just put my player on shuffle and listen to whatever comes up anyway, so it's not a deal breaker, just a minor annoyance.

At Figment, I use the regular Amazon site when I purchase digital music. At one time, you couldn't even buy digital music on the accessible site, so it's out of habit that I go there. maybe you can try the regular site next time you buy a song or album, and see if that works. They really have improved the accessible site quite a bit recently. You never used to be able to change your payment details, or get specs for products, but now you can, so, unless I'm buying music, I use the accessible site for everything else now.

2015-12-01 20:16:47

Personally, it's my feeling that until they have an accessible way to deliver digital content, they should still be not allowing digital purchases from the accessible site.

I took a quick look at mp3va.com and it looks promising. I'll probably give them a try the next time I want to buy some music.

I'm curious where they are located.

2015-12-01 20:41:47

I tend to agree with you there. When did they start allowing digital purchases from the accessible site, anyway?

2015-12-01 20:55:57 (edited by Figment 2015-12-01 21:00:09)

I don't know, but it must be a recent change because I think I remember seing a line that said "digital purchases are not supported from this site" within the last six months to a year.

It's probably just as well, Amazon's price per track used to be $0.99, but now I notice that it's $1.29. At least most tracks was still only $0.99 on iTunes. It will be interesting to see what mp3va charges.

2015-12-01 21:00:09

@Figment, when I spoke of not changing the voice speed on the Victor, I was talking about with the interface only. You can speed up everything, but it will also speed up playback of audio files as well as the speaking of elements on the interface such as file names, names of controls and menus etc. I however don't want my playback of files sped up at all, but would like to speed up the interface voice a little, though in fairness as I said I haven't  actually asked humanware about this.
In all other aspects I'm very happy with the victor. You can just bang whatever folder structure you like on there and navigation is easy, it tells you what level of navigation your in so you know folders and subfolders and also speaks the names, so whether I stick on an author folder with series subfolders and suboflders for the individual books, or music folders organized by whatever way it'll work.

All you need to do is shove what folders and subfolders you want in the right directory, or if you download them, they'll get stuck in a directory by default.
The two directories I use most are $music and $otherbooks (ie, not dazy format or something else).

The only principle difference is that the music directory has a shuffle function and supports m3u playlists if you want them, while the books directory categorizes it's folder structure as books and will stop playback after each as well as keep your position (explaining this sounds probably far more complicated than using it).

While I'll agree the Victor was expensive, I've certainly been very happy with the thing, particularly a lot of the little extra functions such as being able to get the total time of a playing book, (or music track for that matter), as well as the sleep mode and of course the fact it saves your position in any and all folders at a time.

As regards library functions, well as I said the victor will support m3u playlists and if I could be bothered I could make these with winamp, but I personally have never really seen the point of all that library mallarchy myself, one reason I still am a big fan of winamp which has it if you want but not if you don't, and will just play any file or folder I want when I want. This again is something I don't like in Itunes, sinse personally I prefer just organizing my music and audio collections myself with folders and subfolders much as you'd put cds on a shelf, rather than leaving it to someone or something else.

Personally, if I want to play something, usually I prefer to play the hole album/peace of music/performance/soundtrack rather than nitpicking bits, and on the occasions I use shuffle, I'm more likely to say shuffle all my blackmore's night or bellowhead collection than want a random mixture, ---- indeed if I want a random mixture I usually just bang my entire music folder (all 100 or so gb of it), on shuffle which can be hilarious, getting Bach followed by Epic metal followed by music from Classic Nes games followed by the beatles followed by some experimental game soundtrack remixes big_smile.

2015-12-01 21:27:09

hello, i heard here something about spelling the names of the folders, and subfolders on the sansa players. on the sellers website i read about a program, which enables the speaking of your custom folders, and files. does anyone have it, or, how this thing Works?

f.a.t.h.e.r

2015-12-01 21:35:28 (edited by Figment 2015-12-01 21:45:40)

Dark,

100 GB? How big an SD card will the Victor Reader Stream accept? I thought it was 32 GB.

Thats good news that the Victor Reader Stream supports m3u playlists, because the Brailsoft Music Categorizer can make them.

I'm not that big on play lists, but I do use a small number of them for grouping purposes. For example most of my music is individual tracks, there are also some albums too. One of the most common things I do is create a playlist called favorites which has all those individual tracks in it. When I play the favorites playlist I always put it in shuffle mode. Many of my albums are meant to be listened to straight through rather than randomly listening to individual tracks, so I exclude them from the favorites play list.

Some of my albums are several discs long or I have several albums I like to play together.

For example, Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds is best listened to straight through, but it takes two discs. I use a playlist for it that has both discs in it so when I listen to it I don't have to have the media player play the second disc after the first disc finishes. I realize I could edit the ID tags to make it look like one big disc, but I find making a playlist is easier.

I also have the original soundtracks to the first three Star Wars movies, they are three separate albums. When I listen to them, I like to put all three albums in order into a playlist.

Ah, now I understand, and I agree, I'd like to speed up the voice when it's just reading the Victor's user interface, but would want the media playback to be at normal speed. It could be a feature we'll have to ask for. It would seem to me to be a natural feature Victor users would want.

A while back, I looked at a MP3 player that claimed it was made for the blind and visually impaired, that turned out to be some commercial brand of MP3 player with RockBox applied to it. While listening to an audio demo of it they mentioned that until you create a spoken label for them, it just spells the folder and track names. My opinion was that if it had been truly made for the blind and visually impaired, it would have had text to speech software in it to read the folder and track name. That it lacked that, turned me off on it immediately.

2015-12-01 22:02:16

I really want to contribute to this thread, but I'm too busy listening to my audiobooks ... ripped and tagged in iTunes.

Oh go on then. I get my music from wherever; typically indies like BandCamp, on CDs, from Audible, and occasionally from the iTunes store, as appropriate. But your right, I'm on OS X. iTunes on Windows is certainly accessible, just not quite as nicely. Given the choice, I pick CDs and lossless formats, for the portability, but you should be aware that, iTunes notwithstanding, iTunes tracks do not carry DRM (AAC 256Kb).

Victor Reader Stream is a good buy. I still think Apple could do a better job of filesystem-based access; Stream will help with that. You should probably also be using an alternative media player on Windows. WinAmp, perhaps? Nevertheless I still find myself quite dependent on iTunes for overall media management. I guess it just fits some people better than others, and I don't know of any alternatives that are known to be accessible even if I'm were not now well into the Apple ecosystem. I've heard great things about MediaMonkey though can't say how accessible that is, if you need something similar but less bloated. My stream is largely for portability of my Audible collection, for DAISy books, and occasionally for podcasts. I still use iTunes for all the stuff I've ripped over the years, all of which has carried enough tags for iTunes to import smoothly. I guess I'm just lucky enough to have come to the scene late enough in the game that I'm not unduly inconvenienced by the need to keep exact file and directory names, although I certainly appreciate if your requirements are different. In investigating this situation of late, there are quite a few scripts out there to try and tag based on filenames and even create hierarchical folder playlists, but I think it's fair to say that iTunes just won't work as well for certain kinds of media organisation. The plus side of the iTunes way is a lot more searching and sorting capability, plus the ability to store your media up in the cloud or sync or share it where iOS can find and match it, which I find quite invaluable. The downside of course is that iTunes forces you into the fixed set of tags it provides, and there is no way to manage your media from outside of iTunes, which is a bloated pig at the best of times.

If your iPod is a Touch, then skip the sell-on-FleaBay step. You'll probably find that iOS is very helpful for lots of other things. You do have an iPhone, though, in which case this would not be required, although I love my touch for other things. As Dark says, use iCloud to avoid iTunes entirely.

Just myself, as usual.

2015-12-01 22:17:20

At Bucklee12, the program you're talking about is called RB Clip. Lots of people swear by it, but I don't care for it at all. It creates files that are spoken by your TTS of choice, but those take up much-needed space on the player or micro SD card for what I see as very little gain. sure, it might be a little awkward to listen to your file names being spelled out, but I would much rather have that than have a whole bunch of space taken up by wave files that just speak the names of files. Now, if it actually read out ID3 tags, that would be a whole other ball game, and I would make that sacrifice.
I've also never gotten it to work, though to be fair, I did only try it once. When I tried to run the program, it crashed after I imported the folder I wanted to have spoken. That obviously didn't impress me.

2015-12-02 00:44:20

That was one of the other reasons that turned me off on that rockbox based mp3 player for the blind, besides the tedium of having to record all those folder and track names, you also had to waste space on the player to hold all those files.

2015-12-02 01:56:56

Brailsoft's Music Categorizer didn't last long here.

I followed their instructions for setting it up and starting the mp3 scan for files. It gave me an error about a file not having an m3e header or something like that without telling me what file it was. Then it gave me a user interface with nothing but buttons on it and no list of my music files.

If that's all it is, it's not worth the $10 their asking for it. So it got uninstalled.

The search for an easy to use and accessible music file manager continues.

2015-12-02 04:05:53

At Wanderer, could you be a little more specific about where I might find this database option? It's definitely not in the main menu, and holding down the enter key did bring up a menu that showed stuff like sort files alphabetically and so on, but I didn't see anything about a database. Would it be in settings somewhere? I'll look there again in the meantime, but if this feature does exist, I really want to find it.

2015-12-02 05:20:50 (edited by jack 2015-12-02 05:22:03)

@gene: Mp3va.com sells tracks $0.15 a piece normally, and albums are in the dollar/two dollar range depending on how long they are. They are based in Ukraine, which is why the 3-tear pricing structure you have in Us/Uk stores doesn't apply to them. Think of the price as the digital version of buying used cd's at a thrift-shop. Don't let the previews set you off. They are made low quality intentionally as a security measure so people don't go grabbing them and recording/using them. When you buy songs, the quality is impressively right at or even above the the standards of the shops we know. The quality goes from 128khz to 320khz. Rarely will you ever get  a 128khz, unless it's an extremely old song, for example a digitized vinyl. Most all the songs you'll find there are at least 256k, and newer ones are most likely 320k. I say screw getting music from Amazon. They keep advertising their inaccessible cloud player, and you can't always trust the web downloads to always be available. This is why a straight-off music shop like mp3va is a good idea, because they have no software to be installed, it is entirely web based. Plus the availability of bonus tracks in albums when they wouldn't be available on itunes. AS for accessible playlist creation, I'd say Pulse Mp3 Player, but the legal situation for that is confusing. Vlc's decent, very accessible, and can create playlist files.