2015-11-26 16:53:29

hello,
hwne I am looking online for the reading order for discowlrd I get referenced a lot to a certain jpg which should contain a good way of looking of how the stories are connected.
can someone explain that one to me or give me a good overview of the different books belonging to each storyline?
at the moment I am following the publication order with some skips.
this does not matter so much to me because I am used to epic fantasy so skipping from pov to pvo is no problem.
I however would like to know the order so that if I want to read a certain story more that I can.
lastly: which narrator is the best or are both neigel planer and steven griggs good?

thanks for ansering this confusing post smile.

2015-11-26 18:32:44

I haven't read any of the discworld books, but I had a similar problem with Frank Herbert's Dune series and Isaac Asimov's Foundation and I Robot series, because they weren't published in the story's chronological order, which was the way I wanted to read them.

I solved the problem by searching for something like "Dune books in chronological order".

2015-11-26 19:21:34

@Mslion, the Wikipedia article on discworld has pretty good information on reading order if you say wanted to read all the rincewind books, or all the witches books in one go.
That being said, I personally always think it's better to read discworld at least in publication order because that way you get to see the eclectic buildup of the discworld povs, especially in books that feature miner appearences by main characters from other parts of the series.

For example, Guards Guards comes rather early in the sequence, (number 8 I believe), and yet there are lots of other books from then on that members of the watch appear or are mentioned. The same goes for Wiliam Deword and the staff of the Anche morpork times, sinse while they appear first and are main characters in just one novel, "the truth!" they appear from then on in various guises reporting the news, and obviously it's much nicer when seeing those future appearences to know where they've come from.
Raising steam, which is the 40th  and last (up until recently), novel Terry Pratchett ever wrote, is almost a who's who of discworld, and though it's mainly about Moist Von Lipwig,   most other major discworld character's, even people like Rincewind make brief appearences in the book as well.
That's one of the nicest things about Discworld, it truly is "A world!" sometimes the stories of the characters you follow are just one book, sometimes they're many, sometimes they're introduced once for one book but appear again later.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-11-26 19:21:36

@Mslion, the Wikipedia article on discworld has pretty good information on reading order if you say wanted to read all the rincewind books, or all the witches books in one go.
That being said, I personally always think it's better to read discworld at least in publication order because that way you get to see the eclectic buildup of the discworld povs, especially in books that feature miner appearences by main characters from other parts of the series.

For example, Guards Guards comes rather early in the sequence, (number 8 I believe), and yet there are lots of other books from then on that members of the watch appear or are mentioned. The same goes for Wiliam Deword and the staff of the Anche morpork times, sinse while they appear first and are main characters in just one novel, "the truth!" they appear from then on in various guises reporting the news, and obviously it's much nicer when seeing those future appearences to know where they've come from.
Raising steam, which is the 40th  and last (up until recently), novel Terry Pratchett ever wrote, is almost a who's who of discworld, and though it's mainly about Moist Von Lipwig,   most other major discworld character's, even people like Rincewind make brief appearences in the book as well.
That's one of the nicest things about Discworld, it truly is "A world!" sometimes the stories of the characters you follow are just one book, sometimes they're many, sometimes they're introduced once for one book but appear again later.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-11-26 23:11:03

Seconding Dark's post here, it really is best to read it in publication order, even though a few of the earlier books are a little tougher to get into. It starts to really pick up at around book 6 and just gets better from there. And if I may ask, which ones are you skipping? Is there a particular POV you don't care for?

2015-11-26 23:48:07

yeh I am reading guards guards now. I have read books 1 2 4 5 . I skipped 4 6 and 7 for the bad audio quality versions.
are the worth listening to anyway? I also have with book 9 my first steve briggs coming up? how is he as narrator! I love nigel planer already!