2015-11-25 17:41:54

No, this isn't a follow Friday for all you twits from the twitterverse; this is bigger, better, badder, hotter, flashier, foxier?
I've just made the big jump, the huge switch, the change of the century, decade, the year is still 2015, right? somewhere along the way I remember telling my friends that I wouldn't switch over to Firefox because, well, because I didn't have a reason to do so.  Listen, no, really, listen!  There really wasn't a reason!  Stop laughing at me!  Anyway, well, you see, IE, it's just not cool anymore, and Chrome, well as far as accessibility goes, it's still not doing it for me, so FF it is, which means that I must consult you, humble members of the audiogames net community, on the various things I can do with this thing.  Does it pick my nose for me?  That might be desirable on occasion.  If it doesn't, then what are your favorite capabilities, preferences and or other functionality?  From the simplest of addons to the most complex you enjoy, I want to hear about them and the reasons behind them.  Nothing's too big, too crazy, too stupid, and I'll be coming back regularly to make sure I didn't miss out on anything, so keep em coming!

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2015-11-25 17:57:43

UBlock Origin will transform the way you browse. The best way to describe it is a firewall for websites. Its a really powerful add blocker.
WebVism for solving captchas
HTTPs everywhere for better security

2015-11-25 18:03:12

down them all! for batch downloading

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2015-11-25 18:11:42 (edited by Figment 2015-11-25 18:15:42)

I second the motion. I've had FF installed for about 6 months now and use it for some web sites.

The only things that keep me from switching to FF entirely and making it my default browser are IE's integration with Windows. With IE I can browse to one of my favorites in the start menu and IE will launch and go to that web site. Because FF stores its bookmarks in a different location and format, when using it I have to first launch it, then go to the bookmarked favorite web site.

I've also noticed that some web sites don't seem to work correctly in FF. For example one web site has all of its buttons properly labeled in IE but in FF none of the buttons have a label telling you what it does.

There's the behavior of the sidebar. If I call up the history, I get the drop down menu, but if what I need is farther back than the menu shows, I can call up the sidebar. That's fine. What isn't fine is that when I call up the sidebar, it becomes the default way to access the history. I then have to go and untick the history option in the view menu to get back to the history in the drop down menu. I believe I saw a close sidebar button, but it didn't seem to do anything.

2015-11-25 18:56:21

Hi.
well I have better privacy which clears flash stuff.
add block + which I have never got anything on.
noscript which is quite good for websites scripts and add sites.
there is one for google analitics supposed to block those to.
webvisum and rumola I have both loaded.
So far its been ok and I use firefox full time.
bar a few things like opencandy firefox is more secure than ie ever will be and is opensource.
as a companion to this I use thunderbird email client to with add block pluss.
I have never bothered about ublock or down them all but then I have never needed to download batches of files.
At any rate I will be ggetting fibre sooner or later and there may not need to be any need for download managers.
I have brought the old but faithfull getright pro last year but find in most cases unless the files directly play in firefox I have no use for it.
noscript keeps files from playing on some sites and I can always download them bypassing the need to use getright.

2015-11-25 19:15:04

Well, I don't really use ff that much, but for some websites it is better than IE. Don't have menny add-ons, but addblock plus is very nice. With some settings that you can change on the main addblock plus page you can even set it so it doesn't show the facebook frames if you don't use it.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2015-11-25 19:25:59

uBlock is actually a good replacement to adblock plus. They both use the same filters like easy list. uBlock is much better optimised though and uses a lot less RAM. I'll freely admit to not having switched to uBlock in my Firefox, but only because I now mostly use a mac with Safari and for the times I use FF ABP still works.

What else do I use? Stuff that has been brought up here before, like down them all which is a really good download manager. Not only because it does batch downloads, but it also has support for segmented downloading which it does automatically that makes a lot of downloads go faster. I also have flash got, which lets you download embedded flash or HTML5 videos from any site, and noise which makes FF play sounds for various actions

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2015-11-25 22:44:23

Thanks to all of you who have thus far, contributed to my simple and seemingly trivial, change.  I actually found a nifty one yesterday called JS Switch, which allows you to add a toggle option to javascript to your tools menu, a nice way to turn it off that doesn't concern itself with you having to go into about:config, type that javascript.enabled or disabled nonsense just to get around websites that are screwing around with your screen reader because they want to look, um, well, better?  I like it at any rate; no more reading articles with my screen reader freezing up because of certain content.  Push the button when you need it on, push it again when you need it off.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2015-11-26 03:13:43 (edited by defender 2015-11-26 03:19:40)

I also love down them all, just remember to set it up for maximum results using the options found in tools, Down them all tools, preferences.  You'll need your NVDA cursor to read the labels of some of the option sliders, but doing so is totally worth it.
Also remember to enable 1click, and if you do so, to have DTA minimize on start, to give a sound alert and slide notification when complete, and to automatically close without the go to location prompt popping up when done.\
You can also safely close FF when DTA is running.

If you have a system with less than 6GB RAM, try Memory fox, it helps, especially with lag on launch.
So does Fasterfox if you have a slower connection, 5 megabits or less, even though some of the vital options are a bit advanced.
Vacuum places is good to run now and then if your regular cash and history cleaning isn't speeding things up like usual.

Flashgot, which you can integrate with DTA if you have it for better speed, and Save images, are both useful for getting media that doesn't want to be gotten, or just for mass downloading useful stuff like pictures for a project from Wikipedia.

I like to use Addblock plus for my add blocker because it's easy to customize, but there are lots of other good choices out there.

I use the Tore flashproxy badge and have never had any security problems because of it, but that's a personal choice, however, I highly suggest you take a look at it all the same.

I gotta go try Ublock now...

2015-11-26 04:17:10

Hi,
For me webvisum is the best in ff, Add block is also good.

One quick question: What is rumola?

2015-11-26 16:39:49

Well yeah, I'm using firefox on my laptop and it is way more accessible than Internet explorer. Using gmail it feels nice and it not crashing, well, at least, not more than IE. It also serves a better performance in reading combo boxes and in Facebook tags. What I mean by facebook tags is, when you want to mention a friend on a comment, You press @+ the name and a list of people under that name is presented to you and you can easily browse them. Moreover, you are finally out of the bloody "search and enter address". Another thing worth mentioning is that firefox with jaws will give you a better performance at typing in a crowded page. So if you type a text on youtube, jaws might not speak the letters, but if you try that on IE, jaws won't speak, but neither are the letters written.
The problem is that sometimes firefox lags on facebook. Is there any add-on to speed it up?

Cheers.

2015-11-27 22:44:26

I tried Ad Block Plus for IE, it slowed IE way down to the point that having to deal with ads was preferable to how sluggish it made IE.

2015-11-28 03:50:14

Ooh, I've never heard of UBlock. I might have to look at that. I've been using Adblock Plus and haven't noticed any significant issues with RAM hogging, although, now that I think about it, I thought that was just something Firefox tended to do in general. Either way, I do use it all the time. I haven't opened IE in months. Firefox seems to run much more smoothly in Windows 10 than in any other OS.

All of the previous suggestions for other add-ons to try have been good ones. The only other one I can think of that I find useful is called Skip Adf.ly. If you've ever downloaded content from blogs, you'll sometimes encounter this annoying website. You have to sit there and wait for several seconds for an ad to play. Thankfully, they're usually strictly visual, although I've seen some video ones as well. Still, anything to get past a potentially unsafe website is good in my book.

This isn't an add-on, but one thing I absolutely love about Firefox is the new-ish feature, found in the view menu, called reader view. Basically, if you're reading an article, and the site supports it, you can click on enter reader view, and it will give you a very clean interface with just the article. No ads, no clutter, no extraneous content, just the text of the article. It's great for news sites and tech sites like Howtogeek or Ars Tecnica.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.