2015-10-20 17:44:36

Hi everyone,
yeah, so I actually decided to start doing this. Below you will find a Dropbox link to the first part of the eventually huuuge and long play-through of the Gate that I started recording just now. It will have to be done in a few sessions but it will eventually cover the entire game from start to finish on easy, accompanied by my talking in non-native english with a poor pronunciation for which I hereby apologize. :-D
The whole thing will eventually be really long in the end as it's already 31 minutes and 32 seconds long all in total even now, having finished just after the Gray Lady.

Thanks to SLJ and others who struggle with the game for having inspired me to do this in the first place. :-)

The recordings are saved in OGG Vorbis, 48000 hz, 16 bits, 128 kilobytes per second. I believe this format is a great compromise between file size and audio quality. I noticed my voice clipping hard after saving the files in .ogg as I attempted to normalize the volume to make the whole thing louder in the end, so I'll probably refrain from normalizing the future parts or I'll choose a slightly quieter volume to avoid the clipping. This however didn't feel as reason enough to re-record the whole thing from scratch to me.

As there will have to be several recording sessions anyway, even the stuff I already have is split up into several files so that in the end every level and every boss battle will be in its own separate file. The tracks are named and sequentially numbered, and once the entire play-through is completed, I'll create a .m3u playlist of it as well. The current order of the files is as follows:
01 - Introduction
02 - Level 1
03 - Level 2
04 - The Gray Lady, first failed attempt
05 - The Gray Lady, second successful attempt
The whole folder called The Gate play-through by Lukas Hosnedl is packed in a zip archive which has 28.9 mb. Unpacked, the actual folder has 29 mb.

Here is the link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/916 … osnedl.zip

Feel free to let me know what you think of this. I'll be very grateful for any feedback whatsoever, especially as this is the very first time I'm ever doing a public play-through of any sort at all.
Having listened to it afterwards, I noticed my voice is difficult to hear over the game sounds at times, especially when there is a loud sound playing and I speak quietly at that moment. I'll probably resolve that by increasing the gain on the mic the next time.

So, what do you all think? Should I finish this at all - is there enough interest? Should I re-record the first part from scratch without the clipping and with the increased mic gain? anything else you may have to say? I'd be delighted to listen.

Thanks, and enjoy! :-)
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2015-10-20 19:09:27

When you send a reply, there should be a checkbox to subscribe to this topic. Also, you can tick a similar checkbox directly in your profile, saying something like automatically subscribe me to all topics I reply to.
Hope this helps,
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2015-10-20 19:20:47

there is a link in the topic that says subscribe too.

2015-10-20 23:52:28

I just downloaded it and havn't listedned yet but i'd like to say thanks in advanse for atempting this, i'm sure it'll be great! Also, for the people who never bought the game, it gives an idea of what all happens, for more of a better demo.

I am a web designer, and a game developer. If you wish see me at http://www.samtupy.com

2015-10-21 00:28:17

Not bad at all. You do have a noticeable accent but not so much that I had trouble understanding you.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2015-10-21 09:46:31

thanks for letting me know it's understandable, Brian.
I noticed that myself and honestly I was quite horrified to hear the accent.
I mean, of course English is my second language, so I'm almost bound to have an accent, and Im not used to talking much, that's also true. But I feel I can usually do somewhat better than that, more fluently and with less accent. I was really being thrown off by the loopback playing with a bit of a delay, and another factor is playing and talking at the same time.
I think I may actually re-record the whole thing without the clipping and with more mike gain. At times, even I myself was almost having a hard time trying to tell what I was actually saying. :-D
I'll be more used to the setup so I guess I won't need to do as much additional talking and I shouldn't be getting hit that easily, either, so this first part should in fact take me less time to record. Let's see this as a sort of a test. :-)

I'm not yet exactly sure whether I'll just continue from where the first part left off or whether I'll re-record it and go on but in any case I may have a while to do either of these later today, so I'll post back as soon as I have something ready.
Thanks,
Lukas

2015-10-21 17:17:57

I think a lot of us don't like to hear recordings of ourselves. I certainly don't. LOL.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2015-10-23 10:54:59

wow! will download it and listen to it for sure!

2015-10-23 11:19:02

Hi Lukas.
Wow thanks for this  awesome recording. Your english is really great...
I have finally figured out what causes my issues with the game. I'm using a Bluetooth keyboard. For some reason, the keyboard gets a bit slower when I have activated other Bluetooth devices. That made the jumps nearly impossible. After having turned off the Bluetooth devices, I can do it just fine. I'll play through the demo to see if the game is for me or not.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2015-10-23 12:31:04

Ah! Glad to see you figured out the issues! Good for you! Certainly let me know how it goes. I think you should grow to like the game much better now. :-)
Lukas

2015-10-23 13:32:42

Hi.
What Equipment did you have when you did this recording?
I would like to do do audio demonstrations too.
I will try to manage the game by myself, I'll just have to report the bug with holes first.

2015-10-23 14:32:46

Downloaded. time to listen! smile

2015-10-24 01:21:34

I used an Olympus LS-3 recorder connected to the computer in combined mode (storage+audio class) and Goldwave. I had to configure it so that I could "listen to the microphone" in the Windows sound control pannel, and use loopback recording in Goldwave. I think the result is not too bad. :-)
I am 100% convinced there is not a bug with jumping over holes. I have never had any issues with it whatsoever and many other people didn't seem to have any either.
Hope this helps,
Lukas

2015-10-24 04:10:15

Hey Lukas,
I've listen to your audio playthru, and it is awesome! your English is not bad!

2015-10-24 13:58:07

Thank you for the recording! I'll probably have easier time with that gray bitch, oops sorry, gray lady now.:)

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2015-10-25 12:26:01

Well, it seems that this grey lady is hard to defeat...

2015-10-25 14:32:48

I have a little tip for those who wanna beat the gray lady quickly. Try spamming two arrows on her at once and jump away then do the same again. her health goes down dam fast when you do that.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2015-10-25 20:13:54

Nooo, people. you can do it. gray lady is little hard, but if you will be carefull, and use the bow, so no prob. I have killed her with default lives, and full health. really no problem for me.

2015-10-27 21:53:06

its cool bro kippitup dude

2015-10-28 16:39:29

thankyou for your recordeings i killed that  fricken gray vuman

2015-10-31 20:38:48

Hi guys,
I just want to let you know that I haven't disappeared, abandoned the project or anything like that. I'm still not sure if I should re-record it from scratch but that's a different story. The problem is that real life, university studies and other matters, has kept me from recording the further parts so far. For the last week, when I get home late in the evening, I'm usually too tired and in no mood to continue with the play-through. I have even stopped playing the game for myself as I have now beaten it both on easy and normal, so I'm content with what I've achieved and managed to get rid of the starting addiction for the time being. :-D
You can certainly be sure that this will eventually get completed, as soon as I can tend to it again. However, it will just take some more time from now on. Sorry it's taking me so long. :-)
Thanks for reading,
Lukas

2015-11-01 19:04:16

Hello,
I can help with play through recording, since I'll be buying the full version very soon and currently I have enough free time to do that.

2015-11-02 09:55:36

Why not? ONce you have the full version, do please let me know. I could record some parts and leave others up to you, or I might be grateful to leave the rest up to you, if you didn't mind. Time is difficult for me to catch up on these days, but I wouldn't want this project to stay unfinished. :-)

Thanks,
Lukas

2015-11-02 12:51:48 (edited by Hrvoje 2015-11-02 13:03:08)

I purchased the game few hours ago. And I'm now at level 5. I've just beaten Morgana. But before I do a recording, I first have to get some experience with current new enemies. I don't wanna be killed too much during the recording, since every lost life just makes recording longer unless I do editing before publishing it.

2015-11-02 14:51:28

Yeah, sure. It would be better if you could beat the game completely first, at least on easy and maybe even on normal. I personally didn't edit my deaths out because as someone pointed out in the main Gate threat, sometimes losing a life is necessary or can't be avoided. It was not the case with The Gray Lady on my part but still that was the reason why I left it in. :-)
Lukas