2015-10-19 00:13:03

Does anyone know if its possible to download and burn a DVD with a CD key if needed, without actually upgrading with the free Windows 10 upgrade?

I'm currently using Windows 7 and want to continue using it. But if something should happen that requires reinstalling Windows, I'd want to install Windows 10.

2015-10-19 01:02:24

It would be easier to make and install a VM of 10. Then you can use it when you want too. The other option is to download he windows media creation tool, and burn an ISO of the OS to use, although I don't know if this can be done without installing the OS first.
I hope this helps.

2015-11-27 02:27:56 (edited by Figment 2015-11-27 02:31:51)

While just browsing around on the internet I ran across this and thought I'd share it. I'm pretty sure some of you will already know about this, but it is news to me, and very welcome news at that!

It is now possible to download iso images of Windows 10 without actually upgrading to it. I just downloaded both the 32 and 64 bit versions of it.

To do it, go to this page on Microsoft's web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software … /windows10
and download the media creation tool. When you run it, you will have the option of downloading the Windows 10 files  to an USB flash drive, or to download an ISO file for burning to a DVD.

If I understand what I've read, you can use a qualifying Windows 7 or 8.1 CD key to activate Windows 10 as long as you do it while the free upgrade offer is in force.

This way you can do a clean install, instead of an upgrade, which I think is best.

One thing that Microsoft warns you about. Don't use this tool on a Windows 10 system as it may over write files needed to roll back to the previous version of Windows, if needed.

Now, my question is, can I use the Windows 7 talking PE to install the 64 bit Windows 10?

2015-11-27 08:42:47

I remember there being 1 windows8.1 version of the taling windows p e, so that could possibly work with windows 10. If not, remember that nvda needs to be closed when running the installation, that is why the com error appears. Weird, because nvda does use com, but seems to be the cause of the error.

2015-11-27 16:34:29

If I understand that correctly, does that mean that if NVDA has to be closed to avoid the com error, that installing Windows 10 isn't blind accessible?

2015-12-01 23:03:40

No, you can restart NVDA once the setup process has started. Just leave a command-prompt window open with admin privs and you can start NVDA once Setup has finished loading. It's a bit fiddly, but once you know how, it works.

Just myself, as usual.

2015-12-02 19:39:17

OK, if I understand this correctly, to avoid the comm error, I need to close NVDA before starting Windows setup?

Doesn't that mean I have to navigate blind to start the Windows setup, then once setup is started navigate blind to a command prompt and start nvda?

Sounds like I'd be better off waiting until I can get sighted assistance to install Windows 10.

2015-12-05 18:17:12

try this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software … /techbench

2015-12-06 16:52:20

@Figment: you want to press the button that says "Install Now" while NVDA is off. That kicks off the main installer process. Open a command prompt as admin (search for "cmd" on the Start Menu and launch it), navigate to the NVDA directory, then run Windows setup by typing its path. Alt-tab, find the button, quit NVDA, and press. Wait about 30 seconds. Then alt-tab back, and type "nvda" to restart NVDA.

I think that's how it went last time, anyway. Good luck.

Just myself, as usual.

2015-12-06 17:31:45

can't you use ctrl alt n?

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.