2015-10-17 07:40:13

This is a great game but I'm stuck on a saved level 4 with one life... can't do it tongue

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2015-10-17 07:46:07

Hello
I bought the game, keep up the good work Aron Baker. I believe that if you follow well become one of the best developers of audiogame history.
Greetings and thanks.

sorry my english, is not my native language.

2015-10-17 07:59:26

Hi all,
Well after binge playing the game for a good 4 hours, I can safely say several things. Firstly, what the demo gives you is barely a teaser of what's in the game. Level 4 and onward is where interesting things begin to happen. I can't personally justify the $30 purchase, but with that said, I do not regret making it as I am really enjoying the game. For those who are curious, I'll try to hint at stuff without giving too much away.
Later in the game, you will have to fight multiple varieties of various monsters that are introduced early on, Also, with the new obstacles and enemies that are introduced, you will have to definitely develop some level of strategy. There are more places than I can count where I got myself caught right in the middle of a group of items and traps which were very obviously placed in such a way as to mess you up if you're not prepared. The levels get longer and longer as the game progresses, so much so that it's kind of daunting to think about. There are so many stairways, trap doors etc etc. that it's hard to keep track of what level you're on at least for me, however thankfully there are no cryptic sequences that I can see, you just keep going one after the other until you reach the end.
Right now I'm stuck at the gate, where you have to fight the vampire woman for the second time. I suspect that is close to the end of the game. I want to beat this boss but I am finally starting to tire. I have 10 lives, 25 arrow pouches, and 6 angel breaths. I suspect this is enough to get through this battle, but the myriad of single hit deaths you can get just irritates me. Not to mention I think her health resets when you lose a life, which makes me wonder why 10 lives is really all that important. If I am wrong about this, someone please do let me know.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2015-10-17 08:21:16

CAE_Jones wrote:

Re63: The Japanese games doing better for cheaper isn't really that weird. The same is true in mainstream games, isn't it? ... well, prior to XBox and Halo/Modern Warfare, anyway. Sega, Soni, Nintendo, Capcom, Namko/Bandai, Konami... is Square Japanese? I'm getting conflicting signals in that regard. Whereas the west has Infocom (which ate Atari), Netherrealm/formerly Midway, EA, and whoever makes Grand Theft Auto. And what I know of Infocom comes down to "Zork, nothing I heard about for 20-30 years, then Call of Duty took over the world".
So whatever makes Japanese games work in the mainstream could easily be the factor at play in Audio Games, and the gap is more pronounced because of the market size and the fact that we all hear about how western games stopped being shoved to the side ever since Counterstrike and Halo really kicked off the multiplayer FPS cash cow model.
(On that note, I have it from a reliable source that arcades lasted much longer in Japan than in the west. An Audio Arcade just sounds like fun, at least until you realize that you couldn't hear anything because of all the other games playing simultaneously.)

It's true... and as far as I'm concerned, Japanese games are still better but that's subjective. Square is Japanese, yeah. Gotta wonder why it is that Japanese games seem to be better, overall... but I can tell you now that in the fighting game scene, Japanese titles are still much more popular. At any given tournament, you'll probably find one or two fighting games that are American made as opposed to 6 or 7 Japanese games, mostly from different companies. The only big ones right now are MK X, Killer Instinct, Injustice, and Skullgirls which borrows a lot from the Japanese fighting games. It's an interesting parallel for sure, but one that seems pretty obvious... whether it's sighted or audio only, indie games from Japan seem to trump most of the ones from the US, with exceptions, of course.

Discord: clemchowder633

2015-10-17 08:24:44

First off, I'm not saying that people should not give their opinions, but I find it amusing that the people complaining about the price and the amount of levels in the game have only gotten as far as the end of the demo. Not only that, sighted people games cost double sometimes depending on the console you are buying it for, and just like the audiogames, you pass them and then you're done. I personally like this game, it has gotten to be more of a challenge as I progress. Second of all, I am on the level where vampires are introduced, but there is a wall or barrier after the spring that heals you that I can't get past. Can anybody please tell me what I should do? I've tried lots of things but I can't get past. Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

2015-10-17 09:20:13 (edited by musicalman 2015-10-17 09:44:58)

s
p
o
i
l
e
r
That level starts you off in the middle. That wall on the right is just that, a wal. In order to move on to the next part you need to go to the far left where you will find a new entrance.
I also just figured out how you're supposed to handle the gate boss. I won't give too much away, the only hint I'll give is that you don't have to attack her as much as you'd think to kill her. Maybe around a half dozen hits and she's dead, but you have to know how to do it. Right now I'm in the final boss, and I haven't even started fighting it yet. Boy, am I scared!

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2015-10-17 10:35:14

Hi all!
Aaron, the game is great! I've tried the demo and the sound effects and the gameplay is great too! In my opinion, continue to make this great work, because the sidescroller is some simple game, but with effects and great ideas you can make it a really playeable gameplay. So, continue in to this way and we can remember you're name in the future!

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts. There are seven words that will make a person love you. There are ten words that will break a strong man's will. But a word is nothing but a painting of a fire. A name is the fire itself."

2015-10-17 11:16:35

Hello!
It's a really great game, though I'm still stucked at the first level where there is a ghost and a pit next to each other, that really made me mad tongue. Any advice for how to easily pass these obstacles?
Thanks in advance, I'm still waiting for this type of super great games.
ps just a little suggestion: if the game will be futurely updated, and I'm sure it will be, can you release a patch rather then letting me re-download this huge installer? The net where I live isn't that good these days so thought I'd ask for this.
Regards!
Riad

2015-10-17 12:21:09

So, after a bunch of attempts to beat the gray lady, I finally got her! Thanks guys for giving tips! Now it's time for next level! Also, I hope I'll receive some cash soon, and I'll buy the game for sure.

2015-10-17 14:36:04

Well, I made it as far as the first Vampire level. I notice that they all seem to be female? And I'm glad Aaron didn't indulge in the typical Vampire stereotype where they all have Slavic accents and go I vant to suck your blood! The problem was that b the time I got there I was down to my last two lives and had almost no arrows since I used the majority either killing Bird Bombers or beating up Morgana. Speaking of I really liked that boss fight, how it proceeded in phases. I won't spoil it but it's definitely fun once you can get the hang of it.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2015-10-17 14:40:27

Hello all,
I've also purchased the game and can confirm the levels do get longer. There are sometimes entrances that you can actually go past although I usually just go right on in, I don't know if going past them will reveal any secret areas or not, I'm currently focusing on just playing through the initial game first.
There does seem to be some differences in the music at later levels but it is still similar.
I don't really know what level I am on right now.

2015-10-17 15:22:05

Hi all.

I bought this game yesterday and here are my thoughts on it.  First, the price.  For me, it's worth every cent.  I work in game development so I know how much time, effort, patience and money goes into getting even a simple arcade style game from the planning stage to completion.  Even if you do your own coding, getting a quality game like this on the market is no small task.  If I had to read some of the posts I've just gone through I'd seriously be asking myself why in heck I bothered.

OK, let's go back to my own impressions.  Personally I like sidescrollers, I always have. You don't have to remember thousands of key strokes, you don't run the risk of getting lost and just because it's a side scroller it doesn't mean there can't be an infinite number of variables there, from what I've heard about later levels of this game I think I might have plenty of surprises to come.

I think the sound design and acting are fantastic, the game has been wel thought out and what I've played so far I've enjoyed very much.  I'm firmly stuck on the Grey Lady but I'll try the tips I've picked up here and see if I can get past her.  Yes, she is a very hard boss for a first level, and I'm playing on easy, but hey, if she wasn't hard wouldn't there be even more complaints about how easy/boring etc the game was?

In conclusion, I'd like to say a few things. Thanks, Aaron for this and all the great games you make.  Keep up the great work.  Second, opinions are fine, this is a forum after all and that's what forums are for, but negativity is really hard to hear when you've spent months working on something and given it your best shot, or at least that's how I'd feel if it were me.  I also think comparing audio games with mainstream video games which have infinitely more cash and better resources behind them is not only pointless but unkind.  Finally, if you haven't even taken the trouble to play the game, why are you posting about it?

OK, stick a fork in me, I'm done. smile

Taking care of my sheep, pigs and mangle-worzles! :)

2015-10-17 15:42:20

I will say that while my opinion has been slightly more on the negative side, having played as much as I can out of the demo, that I do appreciate this and any other games that are developed. And we are not comparing audio games to mainstream games that are tripple A big budget games, moreso to many of the indie games wich are coded and developed by similar sized teams. And I find it a little confusing, to say the least, that people who say they like side scrollers site one of their reasons as not having to memorize thousands of keystrokes. Do you assume that just because a game is in 2 or 3d that they must have multiple keystrokes? Status and report commands don't count, imho, and when you take those out of the picture, I actually would say I know of side scrollers that have more commands than in most 3d mainstream games I play. hahaha. Complexity doesn't require a wealth of commands.

Personally, I think the game was a little mismanaged in terms of marketting. This isn't a horror themed game. Halloween, maybe, as I stated before, but not horror. From all I hear all the difficulty of the game is in how much damage enemies do and obstacle placing patterns, and to me that sounds like manufactured difficulty rather than complexity. In the mainstream market some of the Samurai and Dynasty Warriors games have been criticized because of this.. so-called difficulty modes are really no more than ramping up enemy attack and defense, rather than increasing actual AI difficulty. Having said all that and everything I said in my past posts, I did enjoy the demo for what t was, but at the end of the day, this game just doesn't grab me as a supposed horror game should. The knfe, after all, doesn't even sound like a knife...

2015-10-17 15:56:16

Well the problem is: We developers can get a super idea for the game, we may think that it would be very nice game and that people will like to buy it, but the end users may think differently. However, if we are developers, we are not robots, we are just humans as well, and we can't read people's mind. The only thing that we can do is improve the game slash app based on user feedback, but to achieve this, we also need some financial support. I saw that professional sound libraries usually cost around 900 dollars, which is far more than the cost of the game itself.
For me personally, what makes the game is not just a gameplay, but also enough good quality sounds. I know that some of You will disagree with that, but we are here to share opinions.

2015-10-17 16:15:55

Good quality sound is important, yes. I definitely agree with that... but that is one of the reasons this game didn't really grab my attention. The gameplay, at least the combat, is very simplistic and the knife stabbing enemies doesn't sound all that impactful as a knife should. A developer shouldn't have to read minds, again this is true. but based on previous feedback for previous games as well as other games, there should be ideas from there as well... many people have pointed out that this is basically psycho strike with a halloween theme and without the gang mechanic, and I believe, having played Psycho strike, that it's pretty close to hitting the mark. Sound design is great, but imho the balance of importance is about 70% gameplay, content and replay value to 30% sound design and overall production, maybe 60-40. This is the same standard I use to judge mainstream games. Take one of the more recent fighting games, Saint Seiya soldiers soul. The souns, while good, are nowhere near as good as those of Street Fighter IV or Mortal Kombat X which are both big budget titles whereas I'd wager Saint Seiya was probably less. Yet the gameplay is fun enough for me to keep playing it, regardless of whatever little gripes I have with the sound which is still decent.

2015-10-17 16:19:30

There's a lot of subtle elegance in this game, such as the way the lady's voice reverberates and echoes off the walls. Defeating her made me feel really proud, by the way. For a first boss she's amazingly hard.
By the way I think I found a bug. It is possible to get past the gremlin archer without defeating him, by taking the stairs when he is very far away. Then again, what he drops is pretty awesome in terms of quantity, without giving away too much. Killing him really, really pays off.
My only reservation about buying it is if I'll be able to complete it if it gets even harder. I'm not particularly fond of button mashing, and my space bar would agree.
Greetings,
EG

In the hands of a gamer, word becomes weapon, argument becomes shield, and life becomes a quest.

2015-10-17 16:22:37 (edited by keyIsFull 2015-10-17 16:24:21)

I don't know what web sites youw ere looking at but professional sound libraries can be purchased at any price point you want. THe newer libraries are higher quality and cost more, but you don't have to use those, and it's honestly hard to tell between sounds from say, a series 6000 library which was released in 2005, and the hd effects which were released 5 years later, even though recording equipment improved by leaps and bounds. You can buy the sfx kit library, which was made specifically for games, for just $700, and you get a complete 20000 sound effect set spanning almost every category of sounds you would ever want. The Dark Side of Sound is a great horror library for only $250. You can check out an order form for sound ideas, which sells a lot of different company libraries, at
http://www.sound-ideas.com/sound-ideas-order-form.html

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2015-10-17 16:32:54

EternalGamer wrote:

There's a lot of subtle elegance in this game, such as the way the lady's voice reverberates and echoes off the walls. Defeating her made me feel really proud, by the way. For a first boss she's amazingly hard.
By the way I think I found a bug. It is possible to get past the gremlin archer without defeating him, by taking the stairs when he is very far away. Then again, what he drops is pretty awesome in terms of quantity, without giving away too much. Killing him really, really pays off.
My only reservation about buying it is if I'll be able to complete it if it gets even harder. I'm not particularly fond of button mashing, and my space bar would agree.
Greetings,
EG

Hello there,
Yes, this is an issue. Thank you, I will work on fixing it.

2015-10-17 16:43:41 (edited by EternalGamer 2015-10-17 16:54:55)

For what it's worth: Just defeated the Lady on normal without losing a life. I'm so pro. lol.
I should mention the ambushes on lvl 2 are fun, especially with the music going crazy. The organ is a masterpiece. The ghost ambushes, however, are downright diabolical.
Having so much fun with this, think I'll buy it. One less inner conflict to resolve.

In the hands of a gamer, word becomes weapon, argument becomes shield, and life becomes a quest.

2015-10-17 16:57:36

@Post 78: Thank you very much for such a a great post regarding to the later levels. This makes me wanting to beat the demo to see how I like it, and reconsider buying the full version.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2015-10-17 16:58:06

warning this is a very lengthy comment

before playing the game I was disgusted at the amount of crying complaining and whining i was seeing on this forum, but after playing the game, I do understand why gamers were so upset and outraged. when playing games like swamp, survive the wild, bk3, on a daily free of charge (with the exception of swamp) we have a bar now set for audio games. those games are so well done from the sound, to maps and everything else, that if a developer brings us a audio game that has a price tag on it, that game has to and I mean has to either meet or beat what we are already playing. that's like me giving you steak and lobster to eat free of charge, then making you pay good money for a burger from mcdonalds wouldn't you be pissed? the gate is similar to a early 90s sega title, not saying its a bad game, but its just not on the level of what we are playing to date, its no comparison. so having us pay for something that seems a bit outdated is kind of a insult. I think the proper thing to do was have a donation button on your site for the game, then believe me you wouldn't have had so much back lash. the most I think the game is worth to date is a couple bucks because again we have other games out there which much better quality.

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2015-10-17 17:08:37

Disagree on the price point, but agree on the rest. I would tag the price at about $10, maybe $15.

2015-10-17 17:21:48

And it's exactly that kind of comment which has made a lot of developers give up developing audio games for us and go do something else.

Taking care of my sheep, pigs and mangle-worzles! :)

2015-10-17 17:35:57

I have to agree with pink sapphire here. Complaining about the price  does no good. At best, the developer shrugs it off. At worst, the developer gives up because he's demoralized. The only way to make him improve is to not buy the game. Telling everyone that you aren't buying the game gets really old. Telling everyone how much you think the game is worth does nothing. Make your own game, and competition might drive down the price.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2015-10-17 17:51:59

That may be true... and a little uncalled for on my part. As I said before, I do appreciate the effort put into the game, whatever faults I find with it personally. I just can't justify paying that much for this kind of game, and  would say the same for a mainstream sidescroller. It would have to be really, really good for me to pay that much.. sidescrollers on psn or steam run average from $10 to $20, at least in my recent memory.