2007-10-17 20:44:59

Hi
Does anybody know if montezumas refenge from usagames will be freeware like the star trek game, too?
Or will it be shareware?
Greets
Niklas

2007-10-17 23:13:53

Sinse the last beta had a "play demo" option, I'd say it's deffinately a commercial game, though from what I here it won't be too expensive (at one stage Tom ward was talking about a price of $25, butt I'm not sure if this is stil the case).

We'll be able to know more certainly around christmas when the game gets a propper release.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-10-18 21:13:58

And I think that barring medical emergencies, natural disasters or catastrophic bugs, we will all be playing the full Monty in a few months. Thomas is pretty determined to get the project out the door in December. I think he's getting tired of working on it to tell you the truth. I don't think he realized how much of a mess the Alchemy version was going to be. He was expecting a six-month project only to find the code was a jumbled mess, plus the level editor wasn't blind friendly, so he had to totally scrap the original and now he's almost done with the new version. For those who haven't yet tried it, the fourt beta is available on his web site, although you might have to wait until next month so there'll be enough bandwidth for everyone to download it.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2007-10-18 21:54:38

Well, AlkimyStudios was a scam all to itself so I expected the code to be a jumbled mess. If I am correct on this, apparently the level editor was a GUI that used the mouse. You had to draw your levels with the mouse apparently...

2007-10-19 00:42:36

Well unless James North was planning to release the level editer along with the game, I don't see too many problems with this so long as the editer was just a tool for developement, ---- though perhaps he should've thought of this when handing everything over to Thom ward.

I'd love to see an editer (obviously an accessible one), for the game. at one stage thom ward was talking about a map creating language using coordinates, but I'm not certain what has happened to that idea, and with the huuuuuuuge mass of work he's been doing on Monti, I'm not convinced it's fair to ask him at the moment, ----- perhaps after the game release next year.

Obviously he got around the bandwidth issues, or I have just been particularly lucky, sinse I grabbed the new beta earlier today and will be installing it soon.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-10-23 00:55:46

I agree. Asking Tom for a level editor or map creator thingy at this point would probably be a bad idea, not to mention totally unfair. Anyone who's on the Audyssey list will know from some of his posts that he's dead tired of working on Monty, precisely because of the appalling mess that was the Alchemy project. As I said he was expecting a six-month development time only to have it take almost two years.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2007-10-23 00:59:58 (edited by Ryan Smith 2007-10-23 01:00:19)

Mappy, is a good level editing program.  Not sure how accessible it is though.

From,
Ryan Smith
Head of RS Games
RS Games Website

2007-10-23 08:10:35

hmmm Ryan, I'm not certain how useable a level editer for graphical games would be for an audio game, sinse in a graphical game (or the information about the various game objects and their reactions is usually in the form of on screen coordinates based on the actual display, ---- with over the top information about the game's various sprites. thus game reactions occur when intesecting screen coordinates come together, ---- collision boxes as they're called.

An audio game however makes no reference to the screen, and no reference to the usual system of coordinates used to define objects in graphical games. Either it sets up it's own defined grid of coordinates by having two values that increase/decrease at variable rates depending upon other game events, (which I believe Monti does), or simply uses sound files as indicaters, ---- Eg, pressing right curser (moving right in the game), increases the sound of file X, and decreases that of file Y, ----- if file X reaches volume Z call a reaction (bump into wall, pick up treasure, get hit by monster etc).

this would be the initial thought anyway.

As to accessibility, most level editing programs I've heard of for graphical games I believe use mouse functions in a similar way to a paint program, and I doubt a screen reader would be able to cope with that, ----- particularly as there are no buttons or other standardized controls in the editer window for a screen reader to recognize.

Of course, it's possible I might be completely wrong about this, ---- I'm not a programmer afterall, I've just had various discussions with my friend who's a software engeneer about the way games work, as well as playing, and reading about various games for a long time, ---- there was one point where collision box glitches were highly common.

2007-10-24 00:32:41

Hi dark.
I agree with you that most level editors are not accessible.