2007-10-16 11:20:31 (edited by dark empathy 2007-10-16 11:27:38)

Seeing the topic about changing user names, it got me thinking, why do people have the names they do?

Obviously in cases such as that of the brothers smith, we'd have to ask Mr. and Mrs. smith, but what about people with their own personal handles? what do they mean?

Obviously, how much info you give (such as if your handle relates to your real name), is up to you.

so, I'll start.

As anyone who's come across me elsewhere will know, on the net I usually use the name Dark, and in fact have been now for almost 8 years!

Originally, a friend of mine persuaded me to try writing a novelization of the playstation rpg Xenogears for her Xenogears fan site. I didn't particularly like the idea of having my real name there, so i used the name Dark, who was the main character in an original story I was working on at the time, it also bares a highly oblique relation to my real first name as well. weerdly enough, sinse i was stil using Hal v4 which was pretty awful at net navigation at that point, the novelization appeared on the net quite a long time before I did.

when I progressed to web games and forums, I also used the name Dark, which was fine, however I did find places where it was already taken, ---- mostly I believe because of the character Dark in the anime Dn angel. sinse i catagorically refuse to be one of a series with numbers after my name, --- Eg Dark 37, I obviously needed a second name.

I briefly experimented with being Dark phantom, because of my favourite musical, but this was also quite often taken, and anyway doesn't particularly roll off the tonge. So I settled on Empathy, which is the main principle I tend to think of in terms of ethics.

When registering here, I didn't know how sensative people would be, so decided to use the full name, ---- Dark empathy, instead of just Dark. Obviously I now know better, but appart from one person I'd never actually run into any visually impared people on web forums before then.

So, there you have it!

I'm actually as comfortable these days with people calling me "Dark" as using my real first name, ---- in fact on two occasions, I've phoned people offline who I previously met on the net and introduced myself as "dark"

Btw, as a point of interest, Dark's first Girlfriend in the story I was writing was a girl called Ekitrina, ---- who sryth players might recognize as my character (though Dark's ekitrina was a very different lady to the Ekitrina now on Sryth). Also, Dark's later girlfriend, Mist is the handle my friend who owns the Xenogears fansite stil uses online, ----- and she's about as comfortable with it as I am being Dark.

so there's me, how about other people?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-10-16 14:41:51

Great topic idea!
Well, my name:
sk8kid1. As some may know, I've been skateboarding for about 5 years now. Being serious about the sport and thinking sk8 to be kind of a nerdy abreviation, I shunned the term until I signed up for my first account on an internet site. Because I wanted to have something that related skateboarding and computers, I chose the "geeky" term of sk8 to prefix my name.
(note: sk8 really is used by skaters, I just didn't like the way at the time).
I didn't think sk8 was enough, so I thought of more. At the time, I was well... Just younger then you're supposed to be to sign up for most things on the net, so I chose kid because I thought people would be older than me. I thought that sounded pretty good, but then I decided to add 1 so that if anyone decided to make it a category, I could show that I was the first.
Now sometimes I just use sk8kid because the 1 can be a bit accessive, and since my name's out there now, I'm not afraid of using tommy or tommy c.

2007-10-16 15:21:21

In 2003 I decided it was time I came up with a better AIM screenname than the one I was using at the time (jjd61588).  "Conspiracy" was one of my favorite words at the time, and the name came up out of nowhere.

James

2007-10-16 16:52:11

I won't go into specifics about mine, suffice it to say it's a reference to my real world initials.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-10-16 18:00:41

Hmmm interesting.

Actually Sk8, though there was a point lete speech was considdered quite geeky, it seems to be more mainstream now, and I've run across the sk8 abbreviation occasionally, --- it stil works though.

I'm afraid ConspiraZ Hal has a miner issue with your user name. Sinse both my Orphius voice and I are english, it comes out as conspira zed which is obviously not what you intended, ---- lol!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-10-17 00:44:26

Lol, you can probably guess why my username is Mike. Since Mike isn't usually available on sites, I sometimes use the username MikeF or mf723.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-10-17 01:40:45

I hate my username. I wish I had picked something like musicproandy or guitarwiz888, or something like that.

2007-10-17 09:12:19

Personally, I actually rather dislike overly long and complex usernames. If I am writing on a forum, I am writing in the same way I would be talking, and in conversations it is both polite and neccessary to use another person's name occasionally, and this is a pest if they go and call themselves evildemonicdevil6663 or something of the sort.

This is why I prefer people to call me Dark, even when I'm registered somewhere as dark empathy, ---- in fact, though I've occasionally found the username Dark to be taken, I've only once run into someone with it, ---- on Legend of the green dragon.

2007-10-17 21:43:24

Hmm. I don't like my username one dawn bit. But Dark I agree with you. It's like
hi Dec32g9954,
bleh
etc. It can get annoying with long usernames, but mine's long enough...

2007-10-17 22:17:06 (edited by dark empathy 2007-10-17 22:44:33)

I must admit, I'm rather bad for abbreviating people's names if I think they are too long in conversation, either to the first useable word, the initial letters, or (in cases where I am physically too lazy to go and look up the spelling of somebody's really long and complicated username), a convenient first silable.

a miner issue I have come across though, is that when people use half coherent letter combinations and Hal tries to pronounce them, I've sometimes made mistakes.

for example, there was a post on the Sryth.com forum the other day by somebody called Dbvlik8, ---- that's D b v L i k 8!

I think it is a general issue of people who work via the structure and site of letters rather than their actual sound, ---- ie, they have names that look nice, but don't think about pronunciation at all. I've had a similar thing with several fantasy or sf authors, who write names that are nerely unpronounceable. Ian M. banks is particularly bad for this. when I am reading, even in braille, I have to physically be able to pronounce the name myself, often speak it out loud. I've also occasionally thought with unusual pronunciation combinations, such as the tongue click on an african X sound, if I come across somebody's name which requires it. where as sometimes I've been discussing books with friends, and they have no idea at all how to pronounce certain character's names, or pronounce them in a totally wrong way because that's how they've interpreted them as they've seen them, ----- in one extreme case, I met somebody who went through the hobbit persistantly giving Mr. baggins the first name bill!

I wouldn't put this difference exclusively to non-working vs working eyeballs though, sinse look at the way authors like J.K. rowling, the master tolkeen himself, and Tad williams (my favourite non-tolkeen fantasy author), come up with their names (for Williams, rather interesting perspective on this, read the artical on http://www.shadowmarch.com/tad.asp  his own site.

2007-10-18 01:40:54

hi,
I got my name on this forum because my first name is connor, and my middle name is james
so cj,
i liked that so ya, I used it

Connor

2007-10-20 03:04:14 (edited by andy smith 2007-10-20 03:05:04)

Lol! I remember the day you joined here. I remember 'tellin you about here and then you registered.

And when you were locked out of your forum account...
That was a nightmaere.
Well, I honestly hate (*hate!) hate my username so much... It's bad, I now decided to never! Use my name on a forum...

2007-10-20 05:24:04

well not a problem, sinse Senderman is willing to change them, ----- though imho we do have several varients on a theme of audio gamer at the moment already.

2007-10-20 08:23:24

Dark, your synth's pronunciation of my name reminds me of my catchphrase; I usually save it for the end of some high-powered spy quest.  Right after I just beat the guy (before I save the sexy lay-tee) I let him know that he was just "conspira-zed."

James

2007-10-20 14:18:45

Hmmm. True...
It'd be cool if users could change their own usernames so Sendermen wouldnt have to poke around changing everyone's name...

2007-10-21 12:11:43

Well, I believe this is the first time name changing has really come up seriously. I've seen it allowed on some forums, but I'm not sure about this varient.

I admit, if the possibility was there, I might have shortened Dark empathy down to my usual just plane Dark after being on this forum for a while, ---- but I think it'd just confuse matters right now if I did.

ConspiraZ? lol! well the pronunciation is sort of like that, ---- though with a shortened E sound so the last sylable rhymes with head. Oncemore, a case of Us vs Uk english conflict I think.

2007-10-21 12:16:53

Sometimes name changing can just get messy. Imagine one day I'm cx2 and the next I'm something completely different.

Now it isn't so bad if you're new to the forum, but once people get to know you it can just confuse. Especially if your new name bears no resemblence to your old one.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-10-21 15:17:56

Indeed. I remember one occurrence on the sryth forum where one member, Dustbinbag (don't ask me why), got locked out of his account, and re-registered with a new name, and the text "I am Dustbinbag!" written under his Avatar, which confused several new players.

One of the advantages of working with a fairly perminant online name, is that I'm not likely to change it, unless to shorten things down from Dark empathy to Dark, --- assuming of course "Dark" is not already taken.

As an amusing aside, I even have an alt web address, which i use for filling in stupid, but occasionally necessary web forms where I do not wish my actual real world address to be available.

First name: Dark.
Last name: Empathy.

Street address: the Ivory tower, 666 Desolation row.
city: The windmills of my mind.

2007-10-22 00:34:04

Lol! Cool dark...

CX2, that's true. Imagine your username being cx2 since... 2005, and  then it's computercoolguy or whatever, and... It can get messy.
I still think Sendermen should put the feature of changing your username whenever you want, to whatever you want, however you want. Lol!

2007-10-29 02:41:09

Hmmm, I disagree about being able to change your user name whenever you want.  Then it'd be like the old audiogames.net forum all over again, where people tried impersonating developers and stuff like that.

As for my user name, I came up with it in 2000 or 2001, when I got one of my first email accounts.  A friend signed me up for it and I was trying to think of a cool user name.  At the time, I was really into radio, and there's a top 40 station here whose monecur is "ZHT" based on their call letters KZHT.  Since I listened to it alot back then, I just picked zhtfreak.  My friend spelled "freak" wrong, so when I got on the Internet for myself and started signing up for stuff I corrected the spelling and have just continued to use it.

Although I didn't think about it when I signed up for a local radio forum, so some people might think I work for the station since alot of people on that forum have user names based on favorite stations in the market.

2007-10-29 08:02:47

thanks Zhtfreak, I must admit I was wondering about your username myself. Obviously in England we don't get that station, so i had no idea where the Zht came from.

2007-10-30 01:21:55

Hmm. I didn't know people were doing that jtfreak, but now I do.

Well I can see how that could turn into chaos, for example, people trying to be Justin or Liam or something.

2007-11-04 08:23:22

heheh dark. very cool form filling thing. well, simple my first name is arjan, so yeah, that's where it comes from. but usually I'm more known as wuver or the woof woof dude, cuz of my obsession with dogs i suppose. actually i don't even know. I'm quite random.

2007-11-05 23:24:00

Wuff wuff dood? lol! I like! though I must admit Wuver (which hal pronounces to rhyme with hoover), isn't something I'd naturally associate with dogs, I think in england the term your thinking of would come out as wuffer.

then again, I believe every language has different ways of pronouncing animal noises. Apparently French ducks go Quaak and not Quack, and in one of the ancient greek tragedies, the frogs were listed as going rakakakax co ax co ax!

slightly more dignified than ribbit ribbit! lol!

2007-11-06 01:58:07

Dark! You're back! Been missing you. cx2 had to cover for you. Hope all is well.

Yo