2015-09-11 18:40:45

I have the same problem the but the access violation address was all zeros and one X the trace back is the same

2015-09-11 19:01:44

All right. I'll post a test for those of you with this issue and directions on running it today or tomorrow.  I have suspicions, but I need info on exactly how it's crashing before I can act on them.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2015-09-11 19:05:05

my trace back is different from his I just checked my Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "main.pyw", line 11, in <module>
  File "sound.pyc", line 7, in <module>
  File "libaudioverse\__init__.pyc", line 305, in initialize
  File "libaudioverse\_lav.pyc", line 57, in initialize
WindowsError: exception: access violation writing 0x00000000
Traceback (most recent call last):
WindowsError: exception: access violation writing 0x0000000D
WindowsError: exception: access violation writing 0x00000700
WindowsError: exception: access violation writing 0x00000000

2015-09-11 21:05:00

here's a test.
Everyone who already has it running fine or with a different issue than Kyleman123 can ignore this test.
If it's not starting at all, then I need you to run the above test in order that we can hopefully get more information.  Here are some directions:
1.  Download and extract the zip file.  Don't move anything, keep it all in the same folder.
2. Click run.bat.  Not main.exe, run.bat.
One of two things should happen.  If you get 1 second of sine wave audio, then everything has gone well and this test is unfortunately not triggering the crash that seems to be hitting people.  If you don't get one second of sine wave audio, you should have a log.txt and a minidump.dump file in the folder.  I will need the text of log.txt and the minidump.dump file to troubleshoot further.  Note that these two files are created even if the test runs fine.
If something else happens--most critically if log.txt is empty and there was no audio--then we need a different test.  I'm hoping this will crash for at least one of you, because you are all probably experiencing the same issue and fixing it for one of you should fix it for the rest.
Sorry for the size of the zip file.  This is a debug build of Libaudioverse, plus some extra pieces.

My Blog

2015-09-11 22:19:24

Unfortunately, your test isn't crashing on my machine, and Shooter still is.

2015-09-12 00:22:12

yep the test works here as well. should we still send you those files nevertheless?

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

2015-09-12 01:26:53 (edited by camlorn 2015-09-12 01:27:24)

The log might be useful.  I'm going to put up an updated version that more closely matches shooter probably tomorrow.  Somehow, I'm not surprised that this doesn't catch it, despite doing exactly the same things as the offending Python code.  We'll have to see if changing the compiler switches to release breaks it.
Something possibly to check for me, if you would: do you have the Visual C++ 2013 redistributable?  It looks like the version included with Shooter didn't statically link the runtime.  I would expect it to fail with a dialog box, but if it's not for some strange and unfathomable reason then this might be part of the issue.
Edit: If you do, it's in default programs, the same place you go to uninstall stuff.

My Blog

2015-09-12 04:18:17 (edited by Kyleman123 2015-09-12 04:19:51)

i have the 2012 redistributables.
my dump file was empty and my log is as follows.
remember i got sound from this test but shooter failed. i still have not gotten it to run btw.
libaudioverse: Beginning initialization of Libaudioverse, revision f2db1d2a7a131b3fb0f441b288b020eac3b54fdd
libaudioverse: Build type: Debug
libaudioverse: C compiler flags: /DWIN32 /D_WINDOWS /W3 /D_DEBUG /MTd /Zi /Ob0 /Od /RTC1
libaudioverse: C++ flags: /DWIN32 /D_WINDOWS /W3 /GR /EHsc /D_DEBUG /MTd /Zi /Ob0 /Od /RTC1
libaudioverse: Linker flags: /machine:X86 /debug /INCREMENTAL
libaudioverse: Initializing Error handling.
libaudioverse: Initializing Memory subsystem.
libaudioverse: Initializing Audio backend.
libaudioverse: Initializing audio backend.
audio_io: Attempting to use device factory Wasapi.
libaudioverse: Chosen backend is Wasapi
libaudioverse: Initializing Metadata tables.
libaudioverse: Simulation: enabling concurrency with 4 threads.
audio_io: Attempting to initialize a Wasapi device.
audio_io: minLatency=0.010667, startLatency=0.050000, maxLatency=0.100000, bufferSize=4800, output_sr=48000
audio_io: DeviceFactoryImplementation initialized. input_frames = 1024, input_sr = 44100, input_channels = 2, output_frames = 1114, output_sr = 48000, output_channels = 8.
audio_io: Initialized Wasapi device.
audio_io: Wasapi mixing thread: audio client is started.  Mixing audio.
libaudioverse: Beginning shutdown.
libaudioverse: Shutting down Error handling subsystem.
libaudioverse: Shutting down memory module.
libaudioverse: Shutting down audio backend.
audio_io: Output device factory is dying.  Terminating all devices.
audio_io: Wasapi device shutting down.
audio_io: Stopping a Wasapi device.
audio_io: Wasapi mixing thread: exiting.
libaudioverse: Shutting down logging.
logger_singleton: Logger shutting down

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.

2015-09-12 04:54:21

What about 2013?  2012 isn't the same thing, but I'm not sure if you just typoed the 3 or not.  I'd expect this to fail in a different way if you didn't have it.
Note that the final version of Libaudioverse and of shooter do not need the redistributable in question, but this demo is missing a compiler switch, at the moment.  I don't have the power to do updates to it, the only part I have power over is Libaudioverse.

My Blog

2015-09-12 05:44:18

I hope that this FPs engine can be ported over to other programming languages. Making a game in Python isn't exactly the best option.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-09-12 06:29:40

well, silly me, i actually was looking at something else that was 2012. but i do actually have the 2013 redistributables.

2015-09-12 22:38:03 (edited by ctoth 2015-09-12 22:43:56)

Hi folks!
Here's a new build of the engine which should help us gather a lot more debug information when it inevitably blows up.
http://q-continuum.net/shooter.zip

When stuff breaks, please send us shooter.log, which will be in the directory from which you ran the shooter.exe executable.

Ethin @35. Pretty sure this engine actually demonstrates the opposite. Regardless, there are no plans to port it.

2015-09-12 23:37:05

surprisingly, this works for me. but i am noticing something strainge. i'm getting the same crackling as yukionozawa but only when i use the arrow keys to turn. plus when turning with the arrow keys, it is slower than with the mouse. and the sounds play at a slower speed as well. i can try to get a recording of it if you'd like to hear.
also, the window probably should be either maximized by default, or we should be able to maximize it. it didn't want to do that and it was kind of doing wierd stuff with the mouse because of it.

2015-09-13 03:42:17

I'm happy to report that this version works just fine! This is a cool concept, and I love the 3D audio with headphones! If people here remember the Virtual Haircut file that has been going around for years, it's a lot like that!

2015-09-13 20:17:07 (edited by sneak 2015-09-13 20:18:21)

I'm not really sure what's going on, but for some reason there's  quite a bit of drifting with my degrees. If I just hold down the up arrow my degrees will shift speraticly. Anyway, cool engine. I'd love to help construct a game with it.

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2015-09-14 04:07:54

@ctoth, you should port it to other languages. Not every single programmer on the planet uses Python (no harshness intended), and so if you ported it to other programming languages you'd get a much wider audience.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-09-14 05:32:36

Hello ctoth. I've tried the engine, without problems, and the idea is so good :3

Te center system for localize objects currently needs some improves, specially that is easy lost the focus on some object and recognize the different rooms on the game. And, add some sounds or indication when you are near to an exist, or on range to pick and item.

Respect the key button for pick items, is... well, better change the system use the enter button, or simply pick the item when you walk over it.

camlorn, respecting to your lib... Is possible use your library on a .net languaje?
c# have C callbacks trough system.Runtime.InteropServices, but I don't know if these callbacks can do all the things that your script need to run. Can you test it and if is possible, create a wrapper for .net?

I think if you want use that library on c++ is more easy, but I want to try it on c#. And well, if is possible build it for other systems like linux, mac, android or iOS, it will be a good option for 3d audio and immersive audio system for use  with games developed with monogame, or unity.

Well, thanks for all tongue

2015-09-14 15:41:35

C# will be fine for using Libaudioverse, eventually.  Due to the abysmal state of the Visual Studio IDE in terms of accessibility and consequently the lack of access to good debugging, C# bindings from me are admittedly low priority.  Feel free to join me in publicly poking Microsoft every time they tweet about making something else accessible.  The other one that's possibly hard is Java, because JNI is the stupidest method ever for talking to C and I'm not sure JNA does everything I want. 
But in all honesty, literally the only language I'm aware of where it's completely impossible is BGT's Angelscript.  Other niche languages may have similar problems, and I'm not planning to bind to any of them unless someone starts offering me money first.  The requirements for binding to Libaudioverse are actually very common things.  Anything in the top 50 or so programming languages should be possible, it's just a matter of priorities.  At the moment my priority is stability and making sure the API is done moving; I might roll out one or two more languages before 1.0, but most of them will probably be, say, 1.2.
In terms of platforms, I'm going to have Linux and Mac before 1.0, as promised by the readme.  The phones will follow at some point, but I suspect the phones are going to require hand-coded assembly or other specialized code in order for it to be fast enough to matter.  The 0.8 release is going to be Windows and Python/C only.  For reasons which are too complex to go into here, the Python API is easy and wonderful, but the C API that it binds is incredibly, incredibly verbose.
Keep in mind that Libaudioverse is GPL.  Commercial licenses will follow post-1.0, or possibly post-0.8.  I'm waiting on some info before I pin this down.  What this essentially means is that Libaudioverse is free if your project is open source under the terms of the GPL, but that closed-source and commercial products will need you to purchase licensing from me.  My prices will probably be very similar to Bass's commercial licenses.  Libaudioverse is over 15000 lines of C++ at this point and has taken over a year of development effort to get to where it is now, so I consider this to be reasonable.

My Blog

2015-09-14 18:01:17

I can play shooter now thanks

2015-09-15 20:41:46

Hello, Camlord:
bad accessibility in visual studio? Sure?
In my case, my preferred ide for development is visual studio. Preferred than eclipse or any other. What ide are you using?
Visual with jaws works very well, but any suggestions for other ides are welcome tongue
And, your lib is compiled using visual c++? Or using  minGW

Respecting the licenses, don't worry. If I'm asking, is for a open source project

2015-09-15 21:28:42

Libaudioverse compiles with VC++ 2015 (but not earlier) via Cmake.  Microsoft has been adding a great number of features to C++ that I need to make things be sane, so earlier versions aren't possible.  As usual, Microsoft is behind every other platform in implementing the latest standards, so we only have complete support for C++11 as of 2015.  I do not plan to support MinGW; MinGW is regularly missing pieces of the windows API.
And now I'm about to rant.  This advice is probably not helpful to new programmers:
I do not use an IDE.  If you are blind, they are mostly a waste of time.  In C++, they mostly tie you to one platform as well.  Unfortunately, in the case of the Microsoft languages, you don't really have a choice anymore.  I don't use Jaws for the simple reason that it is overpriced and NVDA definitively works; it will also probably be mostly dead in 5 years.  I'm surprised to hear it still works, the last version Jaws "officially" supported was 2010, and I had all sorts of really strange issues even then.  There's a chance that Microsoft might eventually support the accessibility APIs in future, but huge portions of VS2015 aren't exposed via the accessibility APIs properly.  The biggest debacle in 2015 is that you will always get line numbers read even if you turn them off, though MS claims to have fixed this in an upcoming update.  Too bad all of the debugger is still completely inaccessible with anything but Jaws, though, and maybe not even there.  MS has known about the debugger problems for at least 3 years; when I reported it a while back I was told they knew but didn't have the time, but thanks for bothering to say something.
This is why I don't suggest C# to blind people.  If you choose one of the .net languages, half of the tools are only available through the Visual Studio IDE and, as of the latest version, it looks like this trend is continuing.  This effectively ties your happiness as a programmer to the whims of Microsoft and whether or not the current regime cares about accessibility; at the moment, they don't seem to but the rumor mill says this may be changing.
The real problem with IDEs in general, though: for the most part an IDE is about efficiently displaying information to someone who can glance at 10 things in a tenth of a second.  I'd probably opt into VS for some stuff if it became accessible as C# has a lot of good support for accessible GUIs, but for the most part the workflow as a blind person remains the same as if you just didn't bother.  I've never seen a completely working implementation of autocomplete on any platform, we don't get the formatting info, and we can't look at 6 panels at the same time with ease.
My IDE advice is don't and use one of the following languages: Python, Ruby, Go, Rust, javascript, C++, Java, Scala.  You can program in all of these using only the command line, most of the IDEs will still let you collaborate with people using them without too much effort, they're all quite capable languages, more than one of those is general purpose, and most of them will get you a well-paying job.  There are still more with good command line tooling.  But tieing yourself to an IDE as a blind person is like pointing a loaded gun at your head: it explicitly puts your future as a programmer in the hands of two separate organizations (the SR devs and the maker of the IDE), neither of which care about programmers and one of which usually doesn't care about accessibility.  So enjoy waking up tomorrow to find out that the new version isn't accessible and that you're probably out of a job in 6 months when your employer upgrades or that your current projects are effectively dead because the current version of the language won't support or run on new OSes.  If there were more blind programmers in general and more blind programmers that cared specifically, we could probably do something.  But at the moment we're in such a tiny minority even compared to blind people that we basically have no power to change it.

My Blog

2015-09-15 23:21:23 (edited by Ethin 2015-09-15 23:22:57)

Oh, yes, Camlorn. And I suppose that if I said that I still use pB as one of my main programming languages, you'd rant at me as well? Probably, considering your behavior when I said that people should use PB. Let's hope you don't do that again.
You can use PB without an IDE; however, I wouldn't recommend this, as the IDE in PB is extremely accessible (and no, Camlorn, PB is not C!) (I could go on and on on how PB isn't C, and what you can do in PB that you can't do in C, but I won't, as that's a waist of time on my part. And yes, while PB can be converted to C at some points, in most other cases, it cannot be.)
Camlorn, can you add the following languages to your list of languages you can use on the command line?:
Here they are:

• Ada

• D

• Fortran

• Perl

• BASH/SH/KSH/TCSH/CSH

• NASM/FASM/MASM/TASM (and most other, if not all, ASM tools)

• Almost all BASIC variants and/or dialects

• C--

• Cyclone

• BitC

• C#.NET

• VB.NET

• VC++.NET

• F#.NET

• Node.JS

• Groovy

• All Parser and compiler generators

• And a few more 300 languages I haven't heard of or have forgotten.

You are, Camlorn, right about VS not having very good accessibility. However, you are wrong about people not knowing Python, for instance, not getting very well paid jobs. In fact, knowing C and C++ (and maybe all the .NET languages too) will be a fine enough set of languages to get a well-paid job. KNowing a lot of programming languages, though, will just increase your pay. That's all they'll do. And if one language drops dead, another is usually ready to replace it.
Finally, remember that Python is not the worlds best programming language. Neither is C, C++, Java, Go, Ruby, Perl, Pearl, Scala, Vala, WebDNA, etc. There is no "best" programming language, just as there is no "worlds smartest person" or no "worlds best spaceship".

My Github

2015-09-15 23:21:41

Heh Camlorn, totally agreed. The best advice I could give to someone, would be to use Notepad or notepad+, though I'm not sure how widely this advice would be excepted by professsionals. I only say this because it is possible to code in basically any language using notepad, and it's perfectly accessible for a blind user. The only point I'd see this being an issue is if a language required a specific format only implemented by its IDE, but as of yet I've literally never heard of this happening.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-09-15 23:31:35

Also, unwillingly, I'lll contribute to the argument regarding pure basic, (although I have, like, no motivation to bash anyone, tell anyone they are wrong etc etc etc because that seems just stupid). There are things I'm beginning to realize I don't like about pure basic, namely the inability to remove and insert indexes in the middle or beginning of arrays. Another thing I'd desperately wish for in Pure Basic but sadly have to live without would be classes. I once had an Idea to use modules as classes, but as modules aren't official objects it's impossible to create an array of objects generated by a module.
  There are more things regarding PB that have been getting on my nerves at times, however I'll still admit it's a great language for beginners. Two years ago when I tried my hand at BGT, none of the subject matter made sense to me. Now, when returning to it for a project too complex for Pure Basic, it went something like this.
Read about classes. Got it in 15 minutes! Read about inheritance. Got it! Read about Sirialization. Got it! Read about interfaces. Got it (though I probably won't even bother using these in this game as I don't see a need for them)!
  All that is besides the point though. What I'm really trying to convey is that basic languages are for beginners. I think the reason Camlorn is so strongly recommending they not be used is that it won't, in fact, be beneficial for professionals, and in fact games with complex structures and mechanics as I quickly learned, which is why I'd have to agree.
  However, Pure Basic is still the language in which I'm coding S Quad Racing, and will stay like that.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-09-16 01:10:55

I never said anything about Purebasic and I never said my list was complete.  I also didn't say that the languages I used as a representative sample were the "best", in fact I can in fact make a case that java is the worst language I know of.  But no one can really meaningfully debate that the list I chose is unpopular (but I'm sure someone will try).  I know you can use the Purebasic IDE, but no one will hire you for Purebasic and no one cares about Purebasic (where no one means less than 500 people who are being paid at least $50000 to be programmers, since I apparently need to be very very precise even when stating my opinions and stating that I'm stating my opinions).  And being able to use the Purebasic IDE doesn't actually invalidate anything I said either: the next version might be inaccessible and I doubt either the SR devs or the Purebasic developer would care enough to fix it, especially not after however long it took to make.  Since Purebasic can be used from the command line, it does at least avoid this particular IDE pitfall. 
You see IDE dependence with the Microsoft stack (C#, VB.net, making Windows Universal apps), the Apple stack (Xcode and iPhone ap development), and to some extent the Android stack (you usually need one, but you can get around it with some know-how and reading lots and lots of docs).  In these cases, you can technically use the language from the command line, but the IDEs do a great number of complicated things for you.  This wouldn't be a problem except that these complicated things often involve private APIs, undocumented tools, and undocumented procedures.  In this day and age, it is common for people like Microsoft to only say that you need to click the magic do it now button and leave it at that.  A perfect example of this is the custom build steps needed to use XAML with C#, a very nice and somewhat friendly language for doing UI development that would otherwise be accessible and actually somewhat pleasant.  Unfortunately this puts you at the mercy of Microsoft or whoever to keep their stuff accessible and, as evidenced with Google switching to Android Studio and Visual Studio after 2008, this does indeed rarely happen.  You can sometimes reverse engineer and hack around it, but this is a great deal of extra effort.  Whereas learning how to use the command line effectively need only happen exactly once and will thereafter apply to many languages, plus a bunch of other stuff you might do.

My Blog