2015-09-06 01:56:56

greetings fellow developers.
I have recently been inspired to try my hand at creating a space style or futuristic style mud.
I would like the following:
It to be hosted on  a free external public server so my rubbish computer doesnt cause lag,
to be able to build the mud rooms and commands and descs and mobs and whatnot from inside my mud client on an admin cha,
and an easy way to be able to set this up!

If it is possible would someone be able to provide info for me on this, or be able to offer mentoring into how to do this?
As I'm only 15, paying is out of the window.
But pleeeeease help!
Thank you all

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2015-09-06 02:49:15

I know little of the MUD community, though poking around google I found this thread that seems to give some good advice on it. They mention a few MUD engines like CoffeeMUD, tbaMUD, etc. Perhaps someone else with more experience with MUDs will chime in.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2015-09-06 07:24:19

A warning to you: Do not use TBA mud as a production mud! It is strictly meant for teaching builders how to build and not for anything else.
Dardar, there is no way, unfortunately, to create new commands and things like that within the MUD itself. That requires you to code the command in and perform the necessary steps to get the MUD to recognize it. The main languages MUDs are written in these days are Java (CoffeeMUD), C, or C++. If you want to create a MUD like that, I suggest you learn all three of those languages before doing anything else. If you don't, you won't succeed (unless your willing to higher a programmer who will do all the programming for you, which will definitely require payment). Overall, good luck!

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-09-06 07:29:13

Meh,
those languages are not the only languages in play anymore
Python has automatic gc, and other things that give you lots of free stuff, so you could look into that.

This is not a signature.

2015-09-06 08:06:15

Evennia is worth a look. Mud Engine created and you write your Muds in Python.

2015-09-06 19:09:38

You can get free hosting from www.themudhost.net.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2015-09-09 23:44:29

MOO database is also a thought, which has its own language, but with the right core (like mine), you dont really have to program at all, unless you want to, just start building. Its designed to do a lot of space and futuristic already.

2015-09-10 00:14:25

Hi Centauri.
You have a corps built? Where is it I would like to take a look at it.
@Dardar, there is supposed to be some kind of mud database out there called ResortMud although I've never been able to find it.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2015-09-10 06:59:35

Guitarman: I have been working on polishing a core for general release off and on for months, You can see where this core comes from on FluxWorld, and I can talk with you and maybe a few other about some possible alpha with this core.
  Centauri.servegame.com port 7777 is the production FluxWorld, and slightly different port numbers on the raw cores for testing.

2015-09-10 17:50:56

Centauri's core is your best bet for now. If you don't wish to program anything, working on a pre-built core with the developer right there is unbeatable.

2015-09-11 02:22:31

You kind of do have to program, Centauri. If you want to enhance it and add functions that you can't create with building, you must program it.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-09-11 02:53:03

Yes, but not at first. many cores are so minimal that you really have to program right away to get any sort of functionality.

With detailed rooms, transparent exits, auto closing boxes, being able to set up trains, platforms, and more areas, quite a bit of building can be done before any sort of programming is needed.

After all, I did most of this to make it easier for me to build, and most objects and pretty flexible, because of the way they are written.

Of course, there will always be programming at some point, I do that every day, thinking up new stuff wink

2015-09-23 20:39:06

hello all
I have acquired an account on themudhost, and have begun building using coffee mud
while its no longer quite space based, it will have space elements in it.
I now ask the following:
1. How do I log in on themudhost?
2. Using coffee mud, how do I make my game available for everyone to play?
thank you

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2015-09-25 00:19:34

Hello.
I've had no experience making muds. I am used to programming though.
I have a few questions. First I got something I think is either the lambdamoo core or database from the prometheus moo's website. How is it used? I can't seem to figure it out I have a whole bunch of .c and .h files but can't figure out what there used for. I want to build a mud but can't figure out how to build with lambda.
I did try coffeemud yesterday but I can't figure out how that works either. I read something in the readme about compiling coffeemud with java but I know I'll need the main coffeemud file so that it compiles correctly but can't figure out which one it is.
Checking out cencore is on my to do list it sounds straight forward enough.
Sorry for all these silly questions but I'm a complete newbie at making muds.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2015-09-25 03:35:29

guitarman: if you have .c and .h files then you might have the lambdaMOO server code itself, which has files for configuring and compiling

The main file there is configure, which is just run as a script and that creates the make file, so you can then run make.

Then you need the DB file that the server would read in and use, thats where my core (or another) comes in.

I cant tell you anything on coffeemud, but I know that some of these muds compile code into the mud server itself, to be available, and MOO doesnt work like that, the server and the DB are completely separate entities, and you only need to compile the server once, ever.

2015-11-06 15:32:37

@dardar, you just need to make your MUD available on themudhost and give it an IP address. I don't know how you would do hat, since I don't use themudhost, and I don't know which IP address you get (since the world is transitioning to IPv6). So, try that. People should be able to play your MUD then.

My Github

2015-11-19 23:31:36

To connect to themudhost, you need an ssh client. Mac and Linux come with the ssh program, but on windows you need the putty client. As far as making your MUD accessible to the public, I'm not sure.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce