2015-09-05 22:26:59 (edited by gamesmaster 2015-09-09 02:48:25)

I just wanted to know if any of you experienced a moment where you were imbarrossed of what you said, did etc. as a blind person?.

Pics or it didn’t happen

2015-09-19 20:46:52

Just yesterday, I stepped on the city bus at campus to go home, but was very confused at the step up to my left. Normally, city busses here have flat entrances, so someone in a wheelchair just needs to get their wheels aboard, then they can wheel themselves to a seat. However, on this bus, it was flat at first, then there was a step as soon as I went to turn left.

By chance, one of my friends was sitting close, and noticed my confussion. he offered to help me find a seat. After I sat down, I asked him if this was a different kind of bus. He said it's just a normal city bus. Then I realised I had actually entered the bus from the door in the middle instead of the door at the front where I should enter.

That's not the worst I have done, but it's something very recent.

What about you?

2015-09-19 22:15:15

I was going the stairs in my apartment, and I bumped in to a lady. "can't you see where you're going?". Then I had to explain to her that I was blind and that I didn't know she was coming

Pics or it didn’t happen

2015-09-20 22:46:51

Anytime I'm talking to someone and they walk away from me, but I continue talking to them I feel like an idiot. Even when someone tells me oh <Name> walked away. Another thing that really anoys me is the "Guess Who game." Person: Hi Jeff. Me: Hi. Person: Guess who. Or. Who am I? Me: ah... Person: Its name don't you remember me? *Person gets upset. Me: Of course I do. See then I feel like the bad one for not remembering their voice, when really it's them being a jurk. Like sightlings don't go up to each other going "Guess who"! That just be wierd right? So how do people think it's not wierd to do that to a blind person? Same with dragging you around because they think they know where you are going. Erm dude, you are a stranger. You wouldn't grab a sighted person so why are you grabbing me? Like are you trying to jump me or something. Sighted people are wierd at times.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2015-09-21 03:43:00

also this is occward. when I think I know what I'm talking about
Me: why are you drinking all the juice, this is like the third bottle you fineshed in the last week.
my brother: It is water.
me: no I heard you pour the juice in the cup.
my brother: I can see it.

Pics or it didn’t happen

2015-09-21 04:30:15

He can see it? That's not a come back, that's just being mean.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2015-09-21 05:29:09

gamesmaster wrote:

I was going the stairs in my apartment, and I bumped in to a lady. "can't you see where you're going?". Then I had to explain to her that I was blind and that I didn't know she was coming

When I was about 14, my mother and I were going to a doctor's appointment in a pediatric hospital. As we were walking through an aisle, approaching an intersection, a woman speedily walked diagonally in front of me and tripped on my cane. She faceplanted into the floor. I stopped and glanced back at her. My mother says she was looking at me angrily or indignantly, or something like that. My mom said, "Well he's blind", to which she responded, "Yeah, right", in a sarcastic tone of voice, as if she didn't believe my mother... but it was my cane that she tripped over, and it was still there 5 feet away from her face.

Another time, just a couple months ago, I was walking to campus along a pathway that curves alongside the road, and at one point, the path crosses the road on a diagonal. This was my first time walking along this path alone, so I accidetntly crossed  on too little of an angle, going more straight across instead of diagonally. I took a couple steps onto what I thought was the continuation of the path, only to hear a woman say, "Get off my property". That took me by surprise. It was a very stereotypically redneck thing to hear. Thankfully, once I asked her where the pathway was, she realised the stick I was waving in front of me was just my cane, so she appoligised, saying her vision isn't the greatest either, so she thought the cane was some sort of device used by government workers. She then helped me find the continuation of the path, and everything was good.

@Jeffb, I never have people literally ask me "guess who?", but I do sometimes have people ask if I know who they are. Thankfully, they don't make a game out of it. If I say I'm not sure, or I don't know, they just tell me who they are, and don't seem to get offended. I also almost never have anyone grab me, thinking they know where I want to go.

2015-09-21 20:48:32

I guiss it is inbetween mean and imbarrossing

Pics or it didn’t happen

2015-09-22 01:03:50

Yeah, I wasn't embarrossed, but she probably was. tongue

2015-11-15 19:37:05

I recently had to have a cable TV installer make a service call to my place because I thought I wasn't getting all the channels I was supposed to.

When he arrived, he demonstrated that there was no problem. I then demonstrated the missing channels.

He told me the channel I had just tuned to and it wasn't what I thought I was tuning to. It turns out that Panasonic made the remote for my TV backwards. From before I lost my vision, every TV or video device related remote had a key pad like a calculator's with the 1, 2, and 3 keys on the bottom row, but this remote's key pad was made like a phone's with the 1, 2, and 3 keys on the top row. So when I thought I was tuning to channel 19 I was actually tuning to channel 73. I felt pretty foolish after that discovery.

Yeah, sighted people can be strange. I just moved, my brother was visiting, helping me get my new place organized. While he was there, I had him follow me as I walked to the grocery store next door. I wanted to make it there on my own but since I hadn't been there for over 20 years, I wanted him to point out where things had changed that affected my walk to and from the grocery store.

One thing he kept doing which bothered me was to announce to everyone that I crossed paths with that that I was blind and that they should let me know they were there by announcing themselves. I tried to tell him that it wasn't necessary for them to announce themselves unless they wanted or needed to interact with me, but I guess he didn't believe me because he just kept on doing it.

Although I'd feel really bad if someone tripped over my cane, I don't worry about it. I have a need and a right to use the cane, and since they are the ones who can see, it's their responsibility to notice my cane and not trip over it. That may be callous, but honestly, I'm the one who can't see, how am I supposed to know when I should pull my cane back to avoid tripping someone?

2015-11-15 22:09:01

That thing with your brother is just down right embarrassing. I like to think that one's own family would know better, but of course, I'm well aware that's often not the case.

Not sure where you're writing from, but here in Ontario, all the remotes have had their numbers like a telephone number pad, with the 1, 2, 3 across the top. I would certainly find it confusing if I ever needed to adjust to a new number pad.

As a matter of fact, I have a story along that line. It's not embarrassing, but I'll tell it anyway. Typically I pay my phone bill online, which requires I use the keyboard number pad to enter my credit card number. This is arranged like a calculater, with the 1, 2, 3 across the bottom. I've learned my credit card number very well, so can type it easily like this. However, just a couple days ago, I used my service provider's automated telephone system to pay my credit card bill. This required typing my credit card number using a telephone keypad, which I found surprisingly difficult. Probably took me twice as long to type all the digits this way.

2015-11-15 22:24:30

My memory could be flaky and low numbers on the top row like a phone may be the standard, but for whatever reason, my brain thought that low numbers on the bottom row was.

Oh well, after that, I'm not likely to forget the proper order.

On the flip side, I'm paying for just basic cable TV with just the local channels, but because the cable distribution equipment is old here, if they put in a basic cable trap, TV can't recieve anything, so I'm getting all the channels in the standard cable package.

The cable company won't fix it because that would take replacing all the equipment in the apartment complex which would cost them more than the few bucks they're losing to those few people that order only basic cable. They said I'm probably the only person in the complex that ordered just basic cable. The problem with the equipment is apparently not common knowlege or more people would take advantage of it. To keep the benefit to me, I'll keep their little secret! <big grin>

2015-11-17 05:10:25

Lol, I can empathize with a lot of these stories. A woman was once running across the top of an escalator I was walking off of, tripped over my cane and did a sliding face plant. Then she proceeded to bounce back to her feet and say, "what happened"? I lolled and mentioned that texting while running wasn't the safest thing to be doing. Another time I was texting while walking and waltzed right off the edge of a subway platform. Thank goodness I'm six and a half feet tall so jumping out wasn't really a problem given that the train hadn't pulled into the station yet. I'd have to say that my most embarrassing blind moment happened a few years ago while I was still in college. Some friends and I had just finished an english class and stepped out for a smoke. I then started talking about how much I hated the class, how boring and monotone the teacher was, etc. Only to find out a half minute later that she was standing right there the entire time. I felt about six inches tall I did...

2015-11-17 18:44:25

LOL!

The lady that did the face plant and her reaction sounded like something you'd see in a slapstick comedy.

If there was one, and there usually is in most subway systems, besides being lucky there was no train approaching, you are also lucky you didn't touch the electrified third rail.

And I think every blind person has experienced talking to someone, only to have them leave without saying anything so you end up talking to yourself.

2015-11-19 20:49:43

Hi.
Just figured I'd give you two things, one very distinct, the other one just a Little thing that happens from time to time (less recently because I make extra sure)

Extra sure what?
Now that I said it like that I might as well start with the more common thing and save the fun for last.

So like I said it doesn't happen anymore, I make damn sure of that, but when I was younger I might've been talking to someone about Another person, the only case where it got awkward was when I spoke bad about someone ... and then I find the person has been standing near by and overhearing it all ... damn.

Oh this actually brought up something else quite awkward in 7th grade, a girl came up to me and asked "so you really like Ebba?" (first crush), and I replied "oh of course I do, she's a likable person right?". She said yes, then said if I had to pick a second best person from the class would I pick and I said something like "um, probably Fannny ..." at which Point she giggled, and I was like "what?" and she told me who it was ... guess who it was? big_smile

So finally for the big moment, something which also has to do with Ebba actually (yes, I was a damn fool at the time).
So, we were sitting in class, she sat next to me, why the fuck she did that is beyond me since I wasn't a particularly likable person at the time, but she did Little weird things to me sometimes.
Anyway, since I was a Young and arrogant and amoral person I decided to "fondle" her secretly. I found out later she had asked to change seats at one Point but the teacher didn't Believe hthat I was really touching her so she had to stay seated next to a molesting horney 14 year old. (I was the perfect "good guy", best student)

So bell rang (wait we didn't have bells actualy), ok so I change my mind, we had a break and everyone Went doing their thing.
During the break the boys congratulated me for daring to get all over her ... or how can I put it? (retorical question)

So we all get back for the next class, and I go back to my former hobby of touching her sweet leg ... when I hear a snicker from behind ...
One of my friends (yes, actually one of the few "real" friends I had) had taken her Place and I found myself fondling him ... Itough I'll defend myself and say I stopped rather quickly when I fdiscoered the fact.
Didn't help that the same guy was, and still is, a fucking model (not professionally  but all the Girls want him, and some guys, including me at one Point but that wasn't something I ever told anyone heh)

So fellow VI people, be extra careful who you fondle (and make sure she is willing first actually , and make sure a fat stupid girl isn't around when you tell a friend about said girl.
Other than fucking up and hurting other people, embarrassing situations are usually something to just laugh and shrug off.
Have an awesome day!

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2015-11-19 22:08:39

holy shit

Pics or it didn’t happen

2015-11-20 00:44:23

Neither of these are particularly embarrassing, but they're entertaining and somewhat related so I figured we'd share them.

First off, regarding people tripping over white canes, my wife and I had the brilliant idea to bring my cane to a theme park one day. We usually don't bring it since I don't have much need of it when I'm with her - but honestly we thought it might serve to part the crowds somewhat. It kind of did, and she said that people kept getting this horrified expression and like dodging out of the way when they saw it, as if they were terrified of touching it. It was a funny mental image. Though the next time I tried something like that I just gave up and put my cane away because people were oblivious and it was just getting in the way. Sigh.

The other story is one of my favorites. I was working backstage at an opera at college, and upon leaving the building after one of the tech rehearsals, I collided with the lead tenor who was standing in the doorway - he wasn't moving or talking so I hadn't noticed him. I apologized, and he (probably much to his everlasting regret) said, "Dude, are you blind?"

To which I said, "Yeah, actually." I then unfolded my cane, and headed off, leaving him speechless behind me.

The thing I love about this story is that he wound up becoming a dear friend of mine - and he's the sort of person who is literally always talking, and always gets the last word. So whenever we share that story, it blows people's minds, because it was probably the only time in his life that he was lost for words.

(Though according to him, he did have a comeback...two weeks later, the next time he saw me, apparently his razor-sharp comeback was: "...so...what's that like?")

And I'm sure I've done plenty of legitimately embarrassing and/or awkward stuff, but thankfully none comes to mind at the moment - guess I've just learned to not worry about it too much.

2015-11-20 01:34:37

People can be so wierd at times.

In our area a local church runs a fund raising event called the Soup-a-thon. To attend you have to buy tickets, it's very popular, the soup-a-thon is usually in January, the Tickets usually go on sale somewhere around Thanksgiving (the fourth Thursday in November) . The are usually sold out by the end of the month. In it a lot of restaurants from around the area donate  soup along with employees to handle heating it up and dishing it out. Attendee's then go around and get small bowls of various soups they want to try. You are usually full after about eight bowls, but you got to try a lot of different soups. I look forward to it every year. They hold the soup-a-thon over a weekend and divide each day into three setting sessions lasting about an hour and a half each.

The first time I went, it was dark by the time we left. I still had some vision left so I wasn't yet using a white cane, but had zero for night vision so my Dad had to guide me to our car. He forgot he was guiding me and ran me into a curb, the grass on the other side of the curb was a slope going down to a pond, which is where I ended up. Being January, winter here in the US, it was unplesently cold.

The second time I went to the soup-a-thon, I decided to take my white cane, which I needed now,  so that I could detect things like curbs, in case my guide forgets to tell me about them. When we arrived, there was a long line of people waiting for the doors to open for the next seating session. I unfolded my cane and used it while my mom guided me. The reaction to my cane was immediate and dramatic. Everybody got out of our way as if touching the cane or us would give them blindness. I could hear them moving about and it was all I could do not to laugh at their antics. Then one of the church people saw us and immediately ushered us to the beginning of the line. Once the doors openned and we were inside, they then led us to special tables set aside for the handicapped.

While it was nice to go to the beginning of the line to get in, the handicapped tables weren't so great, there was a lot of traffic around them as people went to and from their tables, getting more soup to try.

This year it's a toss up whether I'll take out my cane or not. My Dad thinks I should take it out anyway, then when we get inside, we'll decline the offer to use the tables for the handicapped.

2015-11-23 22:39:45 (edited by gamesmaster 2015-11-23 22:41:04)

another one is when I was playing tag with my cousins nefue and when I found him I grabbed him. What are you doing says my uncle clearly it was not my nefue. Sorry

Pics or it didn’t happen