2015-11-01 00:38:23

The saga continues.

In what has to be the most incredibly insincere and disingenuous blog post imaginable, MS are now telling us, with lots of predictable spin and with no way to send feedback through the blog comments, that Windows 10 Setup will, as of early next year, be delivered as a "Recommended" update. That means, if you have gone with the settings most typical for an install of Windows, that you will be involuntarily downloading and running Windows 10 Setup. Fortunately, you can still refuse at that point, though you'll waste your bandwidth on the download.

Have I said this before? It's just, I really was hopeful that M$ had finally got the message. But they're back to their old ways. It's clear now.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-01-12 13:21:02

The saga continues.

The latest Windows Update client now pushes you into installing Windows 10 if it's downloaded. Uninstalling the update client is ill-advised, because it's the Windows Update client and will be responsible for handling future updates. It's also known to resolve some real memory leak issues in previous versions. And removing the nagware itself is too late once you've reached that stage. You will need to resort to politely asking the client not to pester you.

I prefer this approach, because it leaves nothing behind. Start with no recommended updates installed and apply this registry fix, which would completely prevent the download from the inception. Still, it will work at any future time as well, so long as M$ don't start ignoring the policy.

There is another option though, and it's gaining popularity, but I don't know how accessible it is. It also allows you to remove the downloaded data, and it can optionally stay resident to watch for the inevitable changes which are sure to happen as M$ roll out new updates and which have been observed in the wild. It can also reverse the changes that it makes. It's called GWX Control Panel.

Stay safe, stay away ...

Just myself, as usual.

2016-01-12 13:59:03

GWX control panel app is useble, or at least the parts that everyone on here will need to access. I installed it using jaws, and I tabbed around setting up my settings with know problem. It did, at least, I got rid of the get windows 10 icon from the system tray.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2016-01-12 18:41:39

This just in: now it seems even setting the registry keys is ineffective. A background process resets them.

I give up. Microsoft simply cannot be trusted. Apple have flaws, but holy tripe, nothing like this!

I'm staying on XP in a VM.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-01-12 22:26:39

And the gwx control panel doesn't stop this from happoning for you? I have that gwx control panel running in the background on my system. If this months updates do get pass this app, then I may not even want to worry about applying them. MS really want us to update don't they? LOL. The more they push, the more I don't want to. The best way to get me to update is to come out with software that I really want to use that only works on windows ten. When I say want, I mean that I really got to want it in this case.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2016-01-13 22:06:53

I don't know. If MS manage to kick up any more of a shitstorm, then I'll consider installing GWX Control Panel, although honestly I'd rather not. It may be a cure, but it's not ideal because it has to stay resident just to work, which means a systray icon just like the nagware itself.

And, agree. If MS could just give us what we wanted, it'd all be all right. But they are absolutely determined not to. You can just smell the fear.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-01-16 02:18:21

The march continues.

Windows 10 will now, contrary to prior assertions, download and install onto domain-joined computers, too. You must be getting your updates through WSUS to stop it. So, every small business with mobile users is now under the giant hammer.

It's quite fun, this, isn't it? smile

Just myself, as usual.

2016-01-16 16:01:01

Quite fun indeed. Does it help that I am kicking and screaming? So far, my figurative kicking and screaming has kept me on seven. One of the reasons I am staying on seven is that 10 doesn't really offer me anything I want for what all it does. Another is that I want a lot of the bugs worked out, and I am worried about the privacy concerns I have. Of course when I updated to seven, there is the fact I wanted a SSD. As far as I know, XP doesn’t support SSD drives. 16 gigs of ram helps. There has to be some software I really want. Another thing that may drag me into 10 is some peace of must have hardware. I am sure that others on this form would understand. That doesn’t mean I have to like what MS is doing.

DropBox Referral

2016-01-17 11:05:57

@Wanderer: oof! Not for me.

Still, what screen reader are you on? Curious minds want to know.

Did you follow all of the steps for disabling telemetry by policy? You can't disable it just by killing processes in Win10 since it's practically hardwired. See this.

I really want to be able to use Windows, but I'm afraid I have no trust in M$. It's too bad.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-01-17 23:17:40

Yeah, I get it. sad

We just need someone to break the cycle of dependence, I guess.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-01-18 00:15:26

The only reason i'm on 10 is for gaming on this machine. I keep xp on all the other machines just because i miss the days of when windows was light-weight and had a very small memory footprint. There is an argument floating around the net that basically says something to the affect of, we gave our privacy away a long time ago, hell just the very nature of surfing the net tells people generally where you live, and your IP address. But then again, i'm not paranoid, maybe i stopped caring about privacy concerns quite a while back, whether that's good or bad is up for debate.

2016-01-18 12:19:14

Just out of curiosity, how do you turn off all telemetry just in case I wanted to do it some time without group policy?

2016-01-18 15:20:43

@Wanderer: well, yes, quite. This is really why virtualisation is such a boon. Windows 8.1 is good enough for me, but I have heard that Windows 10 is continually improving hardware support. I just can't live with the loss of control, as you said. To me, that's simply the end of my relationship with M$. And things were really looking up, too.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-01-20 22:03:10

It just gets better and better.

This isn't actually about spyware or the Windows 10 nagware, but it's still relevant to this thread because it's another underhanded tactic for getting people onto Win10. So ...

Microsoft is giving Windows 7 and 8.1 users using current sixth-generation Skylake chips eighteen months to upgrade to Windows 10. Beyond that, they will not receive support. The latest Kaby Lake chips, due out before 2017, will not even be supported on the older versions at all.

Welcome, my Windows-using friends, to the Apple way. Don't you think it's time you got that Mac? big_smile

Just myself, as usual.

2016-01-21 00:36:35

LOL, I love so much the title of this topic.
I'm on windows 8.1, and I don't know for what reason would I upgrade to win 10. Cortana and Microsoft edge cannot persuade me to go. Maybe I can install it in the summer, but I'm very lazy to get my stuff back in the way it was before.
I wholeheartedly  gave up on windows 7, it's the version of windows that has driven me up the wall the most. The CPU never got a chance to get lower than 75% and ram was at 60% or more all the time. My laptop used to get so much heated that in the summer you could safely put any potatos into it, and they would get fried. Jaws used to crash, especially when running jaws 15, and there was no point in using NVDA at that time.
On the other hand, windows 8.1 is a little different. It turns up very quickly and I can have NVDA or jaws speaking in less than 10 seconds after I have pressed the power button.
The CPU when doing nothing stays at 16% in my school laptop with a tiny 1.4 GHZ duel core processor and generally 6% in my desktop one with a 3.0 GHZ duel core. Both are running win 8.1. After all, it is not the same as having your processor 80 to 99% when leaving your laptop on the table and being able to hear the fan striving to cool it down.
As about privacy concerning, we have earlier accepted the fact that everything we do on our computers is monitored and noone can guarantee that apps or services installed on your machines collect data and information from your stuff. I remember someone in a blog about 6 months ago saying that facebook had installed an extension on our computer that could collect information on your activity and documents we have there.
Once, I was ironizing apple's privacy and restrictions and told my friend that when itunes asks you to report your music to Apple, it was just the time they did it.
So, in my opinion, nothing is safe when we use our PC online.

2016-01-21 00:44:13

Windows 8.1 plus Classic Shell works just fine for me too. No need of an upgrade, and no wish for it either. And yeah, Win7 was somewhat crappy, really; it's only that it was marginally better than Vista that people took to it at all, and to be honest even Vista was all right after the first couple of service packs.

But as to privacy, I do think that is the real reason I dislike Win10. In earlier versions of Windows, and all Apple stuff, you at least have the option to choose. On Win10 it's our way or the highway. Funny; that's exactly what Windows users say is wrong with Apple's ecosystem. smile

Just myself, as usual.

2016-01-21 03:06:21

Mmm, dunno. For all that MS don't want it to be the case, the truth is that their whole success is predicated on back-compatibility. And yeah, lazy they may be, but isn't it the right of the people to choose? Remember, we've been through worse: maintaining support for a compatible instruction set without breaking stuff is a lot easier than adding a driver infrastructure for USB3 or SATA.

So yeah, I hear you, but ...

Just myself, as usual.

2016-01-21 09:21:17

Mostly, the reason they are still expected to support XP is because XP is the last version of Windows that was actually good (at least in the first year and a half before the inevitable security vulnerabilities catch up with you).
I understand the need for updates and improvements and security patches! It'd just be nice if I could get those without having to lose everything good about XP and without having to trade all of my information to Microsoft in exchange for being forced to install every little thing they thought would be a good idea without asking.
I'm not sure why I need a million background services or for my desktop to try very hard to turn itself into something more appropriate for a smartphone or tablet or why Windows Explorer has to be a clunky sprawling mess that clutters up everything and takes forever to open a context menu or why the programs submenu on the start menu has been so absurdly clunky that it left my computer unresponsive as soon as I started with Vista, and so on and so forth. I'm not interested in Cortana or Edge, but for all I know they could be worth having, if I could just have an OS that doesn't appear to hate me again.
Is classic shell fast? 'Cause I've just been using a (very incomplete) program I tossed together to simulate the feel of classic Windows whenever the command prompt felt like too much typing. It's so much faster I don't even (and it's not as though running my program would stop any of those million background processes or whatever... I dunno, NVDA doesn't like admin mode task manager so I don't even know what's running anymore.).

I don't wanna move to Mac or Linux, but Microsoft seems dead set on convincing me to do so anyway. ... Is Skype for OSX less of a bloated nightmare than the Windows Desktop version? (Also should I delete all my photos and videos on my phone and update iOS, or is Skype just going to keep crashing every time I try to use it on there? ... Microsoft ruined instant messaging, is what I'm saying. Remember Windows Live Messenger, and how it was actually fast and screen reader friendly and not a cluttered abomination? I'd like Skype more if it could say just one of those three things. I don't even stay signed in anymore because it's such an unnecessary resource drain to... sit and listen for chat messages, something which was faster and more efficient back on *Windows 98*.)

* I do want backward compatibility to be better, though. Now that we can support decent VMs for 16bit operating systems, it's less of an issue, but virtualizing XP is still resource intensive and I'd rather avoid it until I can get a machine that can actually handle it. I like old stuff. I got a ton of Sega Genesis games for Christmas. The option of running old software is a major selling point. (So is the basic UI. If I'm living out of the command prompt, downloading Classic Shell, and writing my own replacement for lots of things, you clearly aren't marketing to me.)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2016-01-21 10:59:13

All is one in M$.  Love is pain; antilife is the answer.
I don't know what's worse, having to admit that I was wrong about a company I have been loyal to for years, or having to admit that breaking away from said company would cost me more money than I make.  Once upon a time, when time was actually something I had, this topic and everything i've seen in it would have probably angered me to action of some sort.  Today, I'm reluctantly tied into consumer majority as a billion dollar corporation decides where my data goes and what it's doing for who's grandpappy sitting in his plush lazyboy recliner pulling on his expensive Cuban Cigar as he no doubt contemplates who he will sell it to.  I don't have the time to devote to linux, and I don't have the money to devote to OSX.  The most I've done for myself is bought an iOS device and quit using my computer for most important things that aren't gaming, audio production, music listening and general media consumption, which is to say, everything, I guess.  I'm getting too friggin old for this.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-01-21 12:31:01

I would promptly hop over to linux if orca was actually a worthy screen-reader. Oh, folks on the orca list could give me a laundry list of oppinions on why there is nothing wrong with orca, and it will get the job done, but i strongly beg to differ. I don't like it's verbocity for one, and web browsing can be hit or miss. And sometimes the software just flat out freezes. While i can work around it, i'm still on windows and OSX for accessibility reasons. That, and i consider myself OS agnostic.

2016-01-21 17:48:42

@Kei_jones,
I don’t know which edition of windows you are using, but NVDA reads Task manager without any issue. All you should do is installing NVDA and not keep it portable. It works just fine on windows 8.1. Then I’m not sure which service should I disable to improve windows’s performance. Skype does not crash here, and it’s so strange that problems are still persisting on windows 7. It appears like they are designing it only for windows 10 and 8.
I use a start menu called Start dock start 8 which is not free, but it does not ever crash. Windows explorer does not crash so often, but it is slow, especially when using NVDA.

2016-01-21 20:22:05

here's the thing. I will only use windows. I will occasionally use OSX, in a vm now because I'm not buying a mac, because I can't and I won't. I don't like it. But OSX is a business platform. It is designed to be used in the office, there are litterally like 3 games for it. Garage band and logic are great for music, but they're expensive and my current stuff is totally free. Sure I have some torrents, which if microsoft deletes my torrents I will take that to the net, but it's free for me, you have to pay for apple things. I play games, compose music, and talk to people. THat's about it. Mac can do, exactly, one, of those things completely. Now I do agree that the accessibility on macintosh is great, but with NVDA the accessibility is great too. And I once saw this on twitter, it was reguarding IOS but I'm going to modify it for the windows spyware case. MIcrosoft knows you know about this. But you're not switching to mac or linux. You know that, I know that, and MS knows it too. This was originally for the removal of the iphone's headphone jack. I can't buy a mac, I like my windows pc, and I like the OS. I like mac hardware, but I hate the OS. And linux? Well that's just clear out of the picture, linux will never be popular and widely used by us general users. Microsoft has done absolutely nothing so far to disclose our data or make it evident that they were going to. If they are submitting it to the government, get over it! So's your phone, so's your car, so's your house if you have a security system. It's nothing but terrorist finding, they're not sniffing through your stuff.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2016-01-22 03:04:10 (edited by Chris 2016-01-22 03:10:03)

What exactly is all this data collection stuff about? The major! reason Windows pisses me off so much is that the installer doesn't talk. I really really don't understand this. I thought it would change with Windows 10, but I doubt it. Hell, the only reason I still care about Windows and want it on an actual machine is to play online games and host servers. Vmware apparently messes with port forwarding and it doesn't work properly. How is this operating system so popular if we can't do something so simple and important as install the operating system from scratch or repair it? I mean what gives? seriously? I know this is a rant, but it's really disheartening that I lack that independence. This probably means I'm not taking any jobs related to Windows. I don't feel like depending on sighted colleagues or what ever to help me reinstall or do anything else that doesn't talk. Seriously, what's so hard? If I'm being honest, I can't even accept WIndows as a serious operating system anymore if these accessibility issues are present. It's just like trying to use appliances that are 100% inaccessible. Why doesn't someone like the NFB sue Microsoft or something? Why do they continue to ignore this glaring issue? This is more important than the inaccessible Edge (which really shouldn't be inaccessible in the first place) and other metro apps?

I just don't understand why the largest software company in the world that powers a majority of the world's computers can't do these simple things.

Ok, rant over and I'm not even sure if this belongs in this topic. I had to get that off my chest. It's been bugging me for years.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2016-01-22 04:29:46

Personally,   I really don't care.  I am not harming anyone with what I do on my computer, and because of that,  I really don't care.  If I get potted by Microsoft,  that's okay, I have been to their offices and I know some people so I should be fine.

At this point, I have Win 10 for whatever I need.  Anyway,  it's great to post here.

SOmethings wrong with my english,  sorry about that guys, I am American but Japaese plays with your mind especially when you are trying to learn Japanese.

Hi there, if you wanna find me on twitch, you can do so at Twitch.tv/LeonianUniverse and on YouTube at the same channel name. I stream Hearthstone and other games and love to chat with people, so if you like my content, feel free to subscribe or follow me.

2016-01-22 04:44:52

I did really like XP. Sure, Classic Shell is half the battle, but modern Windows is still a very large sprawling mess. I mean look at the list in services.msc and Task Scheduler. It's appalling!

Yes, it's modern. I do appreciate that. But XP works, it isn't spying on me, I know exactly what it's doing, and it runs just fine in my VM, fast and responsive. I desperately need a reason to use a modern version of Windows, on bare metal, without going totally insane trying to manage it. sad

Skype on Cocoa is nice. Really nice. Not as keyboard-shortcut rich as the Windows client, but to see Windows users struggle with what Skype has become nowadays makes me a little bit sad for them (and for me, when I'm on Win8.1). But not too much, what with their using Windows and everything. smile

Yep, the lacklustre accessibility of modern Windows blows. Why this is I'm not sure; I guess it's just an ongoing decline. And indeed: still can't do an independent install of the OS. Although, @Chris, see if one of the talking PE environments can help.

@Colton: ah, the age-old, if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear. If you don't mind MS spying on you, fair enough, but it's not for me. See earlier in the thread for the reasons. And you can choose another OS if you want to. It might be inconvenient or difficult, might cost more, limit your choices, and might require you learn new stuff, but it can be done. If you don't like OS X or Linux, then I guess you already decided you don't want to do that. Mac works for me (no, running it in a VM is a really sucky way to use it, even on a Mac), and there are blind Linuxers out there. Every OS can run virtual machines of every other OS, except Mac which is the only platform that runs VMs of itself (but not very well). There is also ChromeOS. Just give them a try, and decide which one gives you the best balance of happiness and functionality. You don't need to make excuses for Microsoft.

But by and large, I'm with Nocturnus and Arqmeister. It's only lack of true and free choice where accessibility is concerned. I daresay that's how we all feel in some respects; after all, we chose our platforms based on our needs and requirements and are now stuck with them, even if that's the privacy-invasive Windows. But I'd truly prefer to have choices that aligned with my principles as well as my requirements. OS X feels to me like a midway point--a good start, but really, I wouldn't have created this topic if I didn't care about reaching the other side of the bridge. Certainly Apple has an agenda too, and while I'm happy living with the consequences now, I don't want to be stuck when the big hammer comes crashing down, as I'm fairly sure it will someday. Their accessibility commitment is terrific and the privacy commitment probably the best in the industry, but OS X won't be a business priority forever. Linux and Windows will simply have to get better, somehow: Linux at actually being useful, and Windows at being a flaming operating system that works and provides usable accessibility without spying on everything.

Just myself, as usual.