2015-09-09 15:04:54

All those things are not true. Microsoft is only scanning files you upload to one drive not on your computer I will will try and see if I can find the real artical

I make podcasts for the VI cast podcast. The VI cast covers demo's of audio games, apps and programs for windows and android.

2015-09-09 15:45:05

Firefox accessibility is the main reason I wouldn't consider Linux at the moment. It's still way too brittle and unpredictable.

Windows 10 gathers a lot of information, though most of it is through the mandatory collection when the assistant is enabled (US only). This and most other privacy options can be switched off, except for diagnostics tracking and telemetry, which can only be disabled through Group Policy. Unacceptable, IMO. As noted above the situation is currently reversable on Win7/8/8.1.

Just myself, as usual.

2015-09-09 16:14:36

ok

I make podcasts for the VI cast podcast. The VI cast covers demo's of audio games, apps and programs for windows and android.

2015-09-10 02:48:56 (edited by Nocturnus 2015-09-10 02:50:56)

Doom and gloom everywhere; honestly the amount of paranoia is somewhat, suffocating?  I don't know how anxiety can fail to create more as its contemplated.  I think post 24 is about the best post I've seen on this topic.  Forget buying a new iOS device or even upgrading to iOS 9; that hey Siri thing is going to be on by default.  Any ideas about how much Apple will be catching regarding your conversation while it waits for you to say those two magical words?  Any idea if that functionality disappears simply because you turn the feature off?  We've been under the assumption that companies are dedicated to us and our business, but the rules have changed with facebook and google doing a number of numbers on us and pulling fast ones with their policy changes and goodness only knows what other schemes that we just haven't managed to catch.  Our info is not our info anymore.  We shared it consentually without reading terms of service with fine toothed combs time and time again with software and hardware developers alike around the world because the internet is just that much more convenient.  Who has it?  I don't know, and neither do you. Who can use it?  I don't know, and neither does anyone else.  The internet is much like outer space; it belongs to no one entity because it belongs to everyone, and as such, it's hard to regulate or create laws for or with or in regards to it and its uses and functionality with it developing so quickly and with so much else to tackle.  I have no doubt, however, that we allowed all of this to happen by being who we are.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2015-09-10 10:06:32

Hey Nocturnus. I certainly respect that POV and you're not the first person by any means to express it. However, as a technologist, I'm well aware how the Internet works. I am not the target demographic because I understand the concept of data locality. If I want data to be local, and if the laws of my country (an EU member state) think I should have control, then I should have control.

JMO, but we have lost control. We have given people with power the ability to exploit that power to turn our technology against us. I for one am not going to put up with that. The only time I want to share data is when I explicitly give permission. I don't think that's too much to ask; vendors just have to default everything to off, and give people the chance to turn on. But of course that would be too inconvenient, and the masses have spoken and said, much as you have, that convenience wins, and so the fact that a device has an Internet connection is all it takes for your privacy to be violated, without consent, by default.

So, for me, at least, the answer to Win10 is, "No". Just like my answer to Siri, incidentally, is now, "No". Soon I will set up my NAS as a contacts/calendar server for home contacts so I can say "No" to even more of Apple's services.

Just myself, as usual.

2015-09-10 10:51:37

@Sebby,
I too can respect your position on this matter; my point is simply that we should look at the situation as a whole rather than blaming this or that company of being responsible.  It's similar to how people who are against violent video games because they have the potential of polluting our children's minds with ideas and simply assuming or suggesting that all we need do is stamp out the problem by eradicating them, never fully willing to accept that we are the problem.  It's kind of hard to destroy something humanity has given birth to, once it has spread to enough people and enough people have taken to the concept so mightily.  For what it's worth, I don't like the idea that my data will float around for ever and a million years because corporations believe it should.  It seems like I have no way of getting away from telemarketing firms who pay handsomely for my phone number and goodness only knows what other information.  Even if I have my number blacklisted or put under some watchdog service, that doesn't stop the information from being passed around, bought, sold, etc.  We take care of the symptom with full realization that the disease will persist.  Where it begins and ends, I do not know, but I still feel we're collectively responsible.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2015-09-12 00:31:01

@Nocturnus: yep, that's perfectly reasonable. I have no idea what the root cause is either, but it almost seems certain to be about the majority, and then we get into the whole discussion about whether the majority is always right, which we probably shouldn't or this thread will go on forever. big_smile

I certainly feel strong in my conviction that this state of affairs is grossly unfair for those people who do care, though. It's not appropriate for the "New normal" to exclude people with privacy concerns merely because others, without them, are inconvenienced by it. And then people, tempted to throw their arms wide and surrender, are all the happier to demonise those in the opposing camp, without regard for the principles that they hold, or a willingness to agree on a way favourable to both sides. Scary, and sad.

Just myself, as usual.

2015-09-12 03:47:24

@Sebby,
Nor would I suggest that your concerns are illegitimate or simply a stretch of the mind, but I do believe that every system that is designed to bring about some form of good can be reverse assembled so as to easily do the opposite.  Consider any and every advancement we have made in regards to trying to control devices with our minds so that people without arms and legs can enjoy the use of computers.  The question I still have is, what if those devices eventually begin responding in the other direction?  I don't care much for making conspiracy theories or adding to the mountain of fear that seems to circulate around communities concentrated on schemes and the like, so I simply do my best to understand a system for what it is and what it is not.  Every system will have perks and faults; sad but true.  Sometimes we just have to pick our poison, I guess.

2015-09-12 16:52:55 (edited by jack 2015-09-12 16:55:24)

@Nocturnus: Completely valid point, once data is in the hands of corporations, then it's, in, their, hands. Not always a problem for data you explisitly give permision to share, but yes it is a problem for data that is shared without permission. As for "Hey Siri," that actually doesn't involve the internet at all. That's just the microphone on a constant probably low-power watch waiting for you to say hey Siri. You could turn your wifi and cell braudcasting off, and even remove your sim card, and sey Hey Siri with no problem and it could come up with the usual in that case, siri not available, connect to the internet. So Apple is most certainly not listening to what goes on while waiting for you to say hey siri. It is a convenience for the people who don't care that it kills the battery, which, for whatever reason other to have convenience, some people don't. Only reason I keep ok Google on when using my android phone is because it is genuine convenience, seeing as most android phones don't really have a home button you can hold down to envoke anything, ok Google works great in that senarrio. But on the iphone, I say unless you're in the car, or you are motion impaired, hey siri is not any better than simply holding the home button for a second.

2015-09-14 17:09:25

Right. Well, this isn't exactly data collection, but now it seems that you'll get the Windows 10 installer, whether you like it or not.

And what do you know, my connections are metered. Thankfully, I'm on OS X here, in most places, and I'd notice something like that at home even if I weren't on 3G. But this is yet another dick move by MS.

No. I do not want Windows 10. Do not bloody want!

Just myself, as usual.

2015-09-15 17:15:01

Hello,
Agreeed, I only want that on one of my systems, and I'm waiting until further down the line to see what gaming will hold, such as killer instinct and such, and to know what exactly I'm letting myself in for. OK yes it makes a quicker upgrade experience but the trouble is, downloading something is just part of it, and shouldn't be done before the user wants is truly ready. I think this is ridiculous.

2015-09-17 00:20:06

@Wanderer: It's because people who use computers, like people who just wanna get stuff done, write stuff, emails, stuff like that, do not care about the actual inner-workings of the operating system and such, or how good a system you get. In deed, if someone's that old-schooled, they could get a 486 for next to nothing at a garage sale, get an dial-up/ethernet  cable, and an isp, and be completely satisfied. Of course, that's frowned upon, being such an old system to actually use for daily use, but I mean hey, if it fits their need, it fits their need. That's what these companies like ms take advantage of, that that kind of people won't care that their system will be upgraded without their concent, that their system is being watched, etc. They are the voiceless in this case. This is another slap-in-the-face to anyone and everyone satisfied with windows 7, especially! corporations or schools who may in deed have incompatibility, all because Ms threw this party, hey, let's get windows10 on every computer in the world that we can! Hell, it may not even be that big of a problem for someone who has large amounts of storage, and unlimited bandwidth, that would be me in this case, but do I wanna keep the temporary install folder? Certainly not. if I said no, that means no. I may change my mind later, but for now, no is no. I can't understand why in the business world most people just, won't, get it. No, is, no.

2015-09-17 10:27:02

Hello
Exactly. There are so many people out there who don't really check out what their systems can do, or might even be doing, without their consent, and as Jack said the big corperations take advantage of this. This stuff did not happen in the 90's or even back on xp.

2015-09-18 01:04:34

And this, is exactly why, on the windows side, I will be sticking strictly to xp and below, and also attempting to install windows xp 32bit on my older 64bit alternate dell machine which should work, the thing only has just above 3gb of ram anyway. With a huge, massive increase of people getting connected in this decade, there have become factions, people who just want something to get stuff done, and people who actually want a computer and know the inner-workings. The former is what corporations take advantage of, because when they make a dick-move, the former won't be crying out, and the former is most of the people today who are connected today, whether it be via pc or mobile phone. Apple has fortunately kept the taking advantage of down to an incredibly inferior amount compared to Microsoft. Google's pulled a few fast ones on their privacy policy in the past few years, but have learned from their mistakes, and always remember there's the data collection permissions bit whenever you install an app on google play which anyone and everyone should read before installing an app on their android device. And on chrome/chrome os, if an app gets an update and requires new special permissions, it asks for your consent before making the app work again. Microsoft has not done this, and they have not, and probably will not, learn from their mistakes. They have also refused to answer tech support questions about the force-feeding of the windows 10 setup. I make this statement to everyone, it is in your best interests at this point int time to turn away from MS, go to another platform, an retain your right to privacy.

2015-09-18 07:19:02

It's the direction MS are taking windows, yeah. Sad. Somewhat ironic that people who do know what they're doing and just want to get things done are now having to work harder to stop Windows from being a privacy-invading toy, and start it being an OS which they can just use to do stuff. People who wanna do stuff already understand than an OS is there to simply launch programs, it's not obligated to include digital assistants that spy on you or assume responsibility for managing updates. Argh!

Jack's right; rethink your platform choices.

Just myself, as usual.

2015-09-19 01:57:33

Yep. Microsoft, the outmoded crappy company we have come to know, has turned viol at our privacy. Guyss, just, get linux, it's free so why not? If you can't afford a mac, just get linux. I'm not forcing anyone directly, but this is safety here so privacy isn't violated.

2015-09-23 20:01:57 (edited by Sebby 2015-09-23 20:12:53)

Yeah, sadly have to agree that in Wanderer's shoes Windows is probably the best solution going forward for across-the-board, if mediocre, accessibility to everything that you really need. Once you're done with college, you can reconsider your options, for hobby or play. Linux is just too hard for everyday use; I only run it on servers (including hardware) myself. For a desktop it's just setting yourself up for something to go horribly wrong in some maddening post-install DIY device driver setup step that leaves you vulnerable to an update that completely borks everything. It's really quite sad, much as I'd love to promote it.

I'd never rescind my position on Win10, however. 8.1 for me, with WSUS Offline update to get patches quickly installed.

Just myself, as usual.

2015-10-17 20:14:01

All right. Here we go again.

Microsoft apparently pushing the Win10 installation as a pre-selected "Optional" update, they say by mistake.

Watch out ...

Just myself, as usual.

2015-10-17 21:36:38

Well, a "mistake?" Sounds iffy to me, wouldn't trust that. As for that blue screen mentioned in the article, I think that's what I'd call another example of defective by design.

2015-10-18 05:26:18

Mmm. Well they say they've corrected the issue, but I don't like it. Perhaps people who don't want automatic updates have a point.

@Wanderer: WSUS Offline Update is your friend. smile

Just myself, as usual.

2015-10-18 14:38:06

Be careful what updates you install though, you don't want to get the spyware treatment as well, there's a chance you could.

2015-10-19 05:00:44

I "like" how I disabled updates and ran the block windows script, and still got the "installing updates xx% don't turn off your computer" screen. ... Or how I'm on Windows 8.1 for some reason, even though I never agreed to install that particular update.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2015-10-19 17:08:14

ahoy all
8.1? from what I heard Microsoft was planning on forcefully upgrading people to windows 10. I.E adding those updates in windows update, or least that's what I thought. didn't have a deeper look yet sinse I have windows updates disabled at the moment. aye, I might be a bit unsecured doing so, but I need to give this laptop a formatting soon enough,anyway.
grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2015-10-19 23:34:51

It's because Microsoft had force-ticked the windows 10 update, so even blocking scripts won't work.

2015-10-20 00:35:33

Yeah, WSUSOffline is a misleading name, but no, it's not a Microsoft product. It can work with Microsoft's WSUS though, which as you say requires a server edition of Windows which in practice means, unlike OS X and Linux, nobody will have it on their home or small-office network. Yay Microsoft, always keeping it real for the 99%. And of course Win10 users will be getting all the updates anyway, regardless what you install.

You can script additions/removals in your WSUSOffline install; that's how you set up includes/excludes and post-update routines to make the magic happen so that once your install is done you are all set for a nag-free experience. Sadly as people have said on here the process is more than a little bit hit-and-miss at this stage because MS keep updating the updates to make them more and more f***ing annoying. sad

Just myself, as usual.