2015-08-30 01:30:06

Hi,
So, people have been trying to get me to switch to using NVDA full time for quite awhile now. While I'm not sure I'm totally ready for that, there are a couple of reasons why I can see how it's better than JAWS, mostly due to add-ons. With the new Ventrilo add-on, support for downloading Youtube videos, and remote access, it's looking more and more appealing every day. Besides that, I am seriously thinking of switching to Windows 10, which, at this point, pretty much requires the use of NVDA. My SMA ran out awhile ago, so upgrading to the latest version of Jaws 16 is not an option for me at this time.

So anyway, here are the things I would like to know:

1. When reading web pages, I notice that NVDA doesn't report blank lines. While this isn't a deal breaker, I'm used to JAWS  doing this, and it would take a bit of getting used to if it's suddenly gone. Is there a way to make NVDA do this?
2. When I'm in the elements list, or even on the desktop, it tells me the number of items each time I move to one. So for example, if I'm on my desktop, it will say Mozilla Firefox 11 of 38. Can I make this stop? I find it irritating, and if you change the right verbosity settings in JAWS, you don't have to hear that stuff unless you want to.

3. Finally, I use AIM every day, and wouldn't want to give it up. However, NVDA seems to struggle with it. In particular, it doesn't want to read messages sometimes when I shift tab into the conversation window. With JAWS, I can hit f11 and f12 to scroll through messages if the conversation history won't read in the usual way, but I think that's because JAWS has native support for AIM built in. Is there something I can do to make NVDA behave similarly? I don't recall there being an add-on for AIM, and it might be a simple matter of it getting stuck in browse mode or something.

Thanks for any help with these questions.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2015-08-30 02:51:54

Hi Turtlepower.
I don't think there's a way to change how it shows the number of icons or say blank lines. But I'll do a search of the nvda menu to try and find somethings like that. Myself I've always found the blank line thing in jaws really disturbing.
But to answer your third question you might just use the nvda review cursor to move back and forth between messages. It takes a little longer but that's all I can think of. I don't use aim so as far as I know there's no nvda add-on for it sorry.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2015-08-30 03:27:13

@turtlepower17,
1. I'm not sure what you mean by NVDA not reporting blank lines in webpages; I get them all the time, though that may be because I have
the screen layout functionality disabled.  You might try that and see if it works.
2.  IN object presentation within NVDA's preferences menu, there is a checkbox labeled report object position information.  Unchecking this box will do what you're asking for.
3.  if you're using AIM simply as a messaging client, might I humbly suggest Miranda ng?  It works much more effectively for messaging if you set it up correctly.  For that matter, I'd be willing to upload a preset configuration for you in which, all you'd have to do would be to log in to the AOL network with your username and password, complete with instructions on how it works and other tips and tricks you can use.  Simply let me know if this is agreeable, because I honestly don't have, nor do I believe there is a better solution for using AIM anymore, being an AIM user myself.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2015-08-30 03:34:33 (edited by turtlepower17 2015-08-30 03:41:31)

Yeah, I guess the blank lines thing is a personal preference. To me, it makes everything look less cluttered. It's kind of like taking a breath in a conversation. Without it, I feel like someone with ADD is yapping away in my ear nonstop or something, lol. But, as I said, I'm sure I can get used to that.

I looked in the preferences menu too but didn't see anything, sadly. But it's possible I missed something, since I'm still pretty new to NVDA in general. The thing about lists is that I don't want to hear such and such, 1 of 100 every time I scroll down. If I want to know that information, I hit insert up arrow. Hearing it announced every time I scroll up or down is very tedious.

As for the review cursor, this is the one sticking point with me. I really hope I can get used to the different commands, because it seems a hell of a lot more complicated than activating the JAWS or PC cursors. We'll see how that goes.

Oh, I discovered another minor annoyance while messing around. When I'm reading by word using control and left or right arrows, NVDA will read the first word or two, and then stop. I have to release the keys and do it again. With JAWS, this worked seamlessly, I could read a whole document by word if I wanted to, although I don't know why anyone would. Does anyone know why this is happening?

I'll say one thing, though. It is so totally convenient not to have to unload my screen reader just to play an audio game. That's one thing that's keeping me hopeful through all this.

Edit:

Nocturnus, you and I must have posted at the same time.

Thanks for the tip about object presentation. It worked, which is a relief.

That would be great if you could upload the Miranda configuration for me. I remember trying to configure it myself a long time ago and not having any luck with it. Thank you.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2015-08-30 04:06:10

Hi tirtalpower.

I've been an NVDA user for about 5 years and would not go back. Oh if I had to use JAWS or another screen reader for some reason, I'd do it; but I think NVDA is the best thing to happen for screen reader users in a long time.

To go to the review cursor: 1. Press NVDA plus N. Tip; your NVDA key is your capslock key, or jaws key if you were using jaws.
2. Either press your down arrow and then right to get to the preferences menu. Or, press P while in the NVDA menu.
3. Arrow down until you hear review cursor. or, press C
4. Tab around until you hear, simple review mode checkbox not checked and press space, you will hear the word checked.
5. Tab to the okay button and press enter.

I don't use that mode myself but if it helps you and you can hear blank lines, great!

Although as others have said; I hear blank lines when I'm arrowing up and down through sites.

As for your issue with holding down control and pressing write arrow to read, I don't know why you're getting that; I am always able to read using control left or right arrows. I've not used word so perhaps it's a little slower with that program? It shouldn't be since I use jarte and it works fine with that program.

One more tip; make sure you've updated to the latest version of NVDA to get the best experience possible.

I'm gone for real :)

2015-08-30 04:14:34

glad your enjoying nvda and all the things it offers turtle power. i too love all the addons as well. people have had some good suggestions here already so i won't really add anything.
if you have any suggestions for the ventrilo addon let me know. its going to a bit of a code rewrite at the moment, but i'm very open to adding things in.

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

2015-08-30 09:21:42 (edited by afrim 2015-08-30 09:23:14)

Install NVDA for the best access. Do not use it in the portable version. +Some other things you might know or not. NVDA doesn't have a screen refresh option like you used to do on jaws with insert+esc. As far as I know, you can't jump or rap into top or go to the first heading when you are focused onto the last one. Use ctrl+Home to get into the first edit box if you need it. For example when you search on google and find none results. One thing I hate and will always do, is how NVDA focuses on the edit boxes and the only way to get outa there is by pressing escape. Don't forget that some punctuations may not be read when in word documents like they were read on Jaws, but you can change it to "Most" in NVDA general settings I think.

Jaws user all the time/life here.
I don't often use NVDA, but these are some tips I know.

Still nobody could convince me to go for NVDA all the time. smile smile

2015-08-30 11:03:12

@afrim,
I have yet to experience any issues using a portable copy of NVDA, other than the fact that it is not installed, which is just that.  It's not an issue, it's a blessing in some regards given I can take my configuration with me to any computer wherever I go. Also, have you tried messing around with the brows mode settings?  Hit insert, control b the next time you decide to use NVDA and uncheck both boxes concerning automatic focus mode changes.  I assure you that if you are still having the issue you discussed above with edit fields I would be exceptionally interested to hear about it, since this is an issue I myself would report, given I don't like such behavior either.
@turtlepower17
Unfortunately, one of the things that turns people off about Miranda and a couple of other programs I use, foobar being another example, is that they are so customizable that the compendium of options is something one can easily get lost in.  Both bits of software have tons of plugins which add even more flexibility and functionality, but most of these are not well described nor do they have detailed help files written for them.  This is why I have no problem offering whatever assistance I can regarding this issue.  I will work on configuring myself for configurating this preconfiguration of a configuration, or whatever this thing is as soon as I can.  I'm currently involved in setting up a couple of PC's and some sound equipment I just had shipped in from my old home which I haven't seen in a few months and am absolutely thrilled to be reunited with.  If, as is possible, I do tend to forget, feel free to send me a private message on here, but more than likely you'll have that thing within 24 hours.  Methinks I just happen to have one of the worst short attention spans ever and... Why am I still awake at 5 in the morning?

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2015-08-30 11:21:38

@Nocturnus
Well, pressing tab makes the difference and it gets out of the edit box, and I guess using the arrow keys doesn't, because it could be used to select a certain item when searching. For example, when typing F in the edit box, It shows the suggestion to select facebook.
There's nothing wrong with the portable version, but I just have my opinion that the installed version works faster. +you have access on the log on screen when installing NVDA.

2015-08-30 12:16:36 (edited by Socheat 2015-08-30 12:17:38)

hi
@afrim

NVDA still have screen refresh in browser, press insert plus f5...
I mean when you browsing the internet. smile

2015-08-30 19:37:42

At Afrim, I actually like the fact that NVDA doesn't wrap to the top of the list when scrolling through headings. I've often been known to hit h a bunch of times, pass the heading I need, and have it jump back to the top, so that I have to find the correct heading all over again. So I like that feature.
Yeah, I did install NVDA on my computer, and I updated to the latest version last night.

At Nocturnus, thanks again. Take your time, it's not a huge deal if it takes you awhile for you to configure Miranda for me. Aim is usable, it's just more clunky than it was with Jaws.

This thing with words not reading as I control left and right arrow through them is really starting to annoy me, though. It makes doing things like editing my posts before I send them more tedious. I've tried it with a couple of different synths, thinking that was the issue, but it still does it no matter which one I use.

2015-08-30 19:42:58

hi.

That is really strange with the word thing. It works completely fine for me.

2015-08-30 22:41:31

@turtlepower17,
I still can't duplicate that control left and right arrow business; I'm feeling kind of left out!  :d
Seriously though, I've tried unchecking things in document formatting, object presentation, input composition, and no matter what I do I can't get it to break that way.  I wonder if the problem may be your windows not being properly maximized; that's a mistake I tend to make sometimes.  Actually, it's kind of interesting that I've had this same issue with JAWS in the past and never found a workaround.  I'll keep trying though.

2015-08-31 01:15:17

That shouldn't be the issue, since I use Auto Sizer. My IE, Firefox, and several other program windows are set to maximize automatically, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

If I release the control key each time I want to move left or right, it works. It's just that I never had to do that with Jaws. I could keep the control key held down and scroll left and right as much as I wanted to.
Ah well, maybe I just have to get used to another new way of doing things.

2015-08-31 02:09:41

Hi.

That is strange. If i hold down control and either tap or hold left or right arrow, everything works as usual.

Perhaps reinstall NVDA? Or check your windows version, although that shouldn't make a difference

2015-08-31 02:28:33

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate, 32 bit. I doubt that makes a difference, but it will be interesting to see if the problem persists once I upgrade to Windows 10, which I intend to do soon.

2015-09-01 00:51:52

Sorry for the  double post, but I just thought of something.

I apologize if this is a horrendously stupid question, but I was told that you can actually move the mouse, and NVDA will follow it and you can click on stuff using the mouse. I think that's pretty cool. Obviously, it would take awhile for someone to figure out how much to move the mouse to make it do what they wanted, if you're like me and have really never used one. So my question is, what exactly is the mouse movement emulating? Would it be possible to actually use this to forego using the review cursor?

2015-09-01 03:31:25

Hi.

Hmm. I'd say no, since they both  can be used depending on what you're doing.

The mouse features, found under nvda menu/preferences/mouse settings allow you to use your actual mouse or trackpad and NVDA will speak the items under the mouse.

You can use pitch beeps and other settings too but I don't mess with those settings much.
The mouse feature does come in handy when using tricky websites.

For example; I use a site called justeat which is a takeaway site, meaning a place where you can order food that is delivered to your door. IF you order an item with extra items inside that item, for example; fries with a dip,, at the bottom of the page is a dialog where you choose your other items. Now you can either use your NVDA flat review and other numpad modes, there are three I believe. or, you could use the mouse to click on things. I find the numbpad mode, flat review I think it's called; a lot easier to use but the  mouse works fine and can be used with no problem once you are used to the way it works.

2015-09-01 05:21:33

@Turtlepower

Try the application from Vict Consultancy Called vMouse For NVDA
I think this could helps you to using the mouse.

hth

2015-09-01 07:55:10

Oh yeah, I heard of that. I just may look at it.

so I figured out what the issue is with my inability to move by words, and I'm really not happy. I was talking to a friend on Skype, and he suggested that I try using a different keyboard and see if the issue went away. Lo and behold, he was right. Using the HP keyboard that originally came with my machine, it works fine.
This really sucks, though. The keyboard I'm using now is a mechanical one, and I don't want to have to stop using it just because of this. And I probably won't, it's just really odd that NVDA has this issue when JAWS never did.

2015-09-08 07:37:20

Yeh that is quite strange

I make podcasts for the VI cast podcast. The VI cast covers demo's of audio games, apps and programs for windows and android.

2015-09-08 10:38:00

Hi.

If the keyboard you like using has a function key, try pressing function control right arrow and see what happens.

2015-09-09 00:39:15

Sadly, it doesn't. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

2015-09-10 11:30:15

Hi.

No problem.
I hope you enjoy using NVDA and all the great addons that come with it.

2015-09-12 05:36:14

Yep, the switch from Jaws to NVDA has gone surprisingly well. I've even gotten the hang of the review modes, something I really didn't think I could do, but one thing I like is that the voice doesn't switch when you activate the various cursors. I always found that particular feature of Jaws to be a bit odd.

Can anyone tell me what the enhanced listview support add-on is supposed to do? I can't really find any difinitive information about it.