2007-10-17 01:30:26

I imagine rather large commercial draws catch their attention. Fans like me keeping the dream alive does not disturbe the giant. So as an aside STCCG is not download as caution. Probably not needed. I think I will take up your suggestion Dark and devel my own sound and continue with the Solaris Prime theme. I do feel comfortable with that.

Yo

2007-10-17 03:50:38 (edited by cx2 2007-10-17 04:10:15)

Well a search for "Star trek: enterprise" on the dedicated Star Trek wiki at Memory Alpha says production started in 2001 as well, but I've no idea when the concept was made or approved. First rumblings I heard at college which were around late 2000, early 2001. Not sure why 1998 specifically, perhaps it was First Contact that did it? Or maybe they just decided to give it a go.

In any case they can't be worse than I heard LucasFilm were about Star Wars sites, they probably never realised they were losing free advertising.

Edit:
Might just be that the next gen universe for Star Trek was at its peak about then. The film First Contact, Voyager was in flow, and DS9 was most of the way through.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-10-17 04:26:02

It seems PPC put out this -- ... Published "Fan Fair Use" policy enacted by Paramount, in a not-for-profit, fan fiction setting ... which I would fall under I think, and is referenced in quite a few ST sites. But I can not find the Published doc. I did find a link to the PPC site where it was originally at, but it is now gone from there. So it must be old. I would like more specifics in the policy doc but can't find the doc. Really the first I've seen of a major doing this really. Bravo for them.  First sale rights are really what they are after. Concerning ST, that was an abandoned market, maybe, which is a term I ran across too. They did in fact chase many fan based sites down and closed them down. Mostly those that derived some commercial gain I suspect. Lots of talk about creativity, free speech and fair use.

ahh hmmm. Stick to Solaris Prime. Get out of Prime time. Site will change.

Yo

2007-10-17 09:04:41

Hmmm, I thought the first contact film was well before 98, sinse I remember going to see it in secondary school, and I left that school in summer 97. As soon as I have the time, money and inclination to track down a cheap copy, I really should acquire all the next gen films on Dvd, including first contact as it's ages sinse I saw the film. I Particularly need to see nemesis apparently, as it features half the enterprise bridge crew singing the madrigal from Hms pinafore, ---- and apparently Data singing "I am the monarch of the sea" which would be fun, especially as the only G&S that seems to make it's way into Scifi is the modern major general's song from pirates of penzance.

Swerving away from offtopicitude here, I can't see fan produced free games really raising too much trouble Nio0 if you want to do something startrek related, not so long as it stays free, ---- and Gma games have managed to survive with the commercial game going as well.

I do think though, that expanding the universe of solaris prime would be a good idea though.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-10-17 14:04:31 (edited by cx2 2007-10-17 14:05:27)

True about Solaris Prime, but I don't think we have much to fear from something back in 98.

At any rate ST is perhaps dieing, but they are attempting another film. This time they're basing it on the original series, perhaps as the characters were in younger days. Not something I'm likely to go see really, I never could stand the original series.

Perhaps 978 coincided more with the video release of First Contact not sure, can't be bothered to look it up right now. This might make sense though, if people were starting to distribute it illegally.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-10-17 19:32:12

ST TOS is great! LOL!  TNG ehhh ... Voyager was lots better than I thought it would be. As soon as 7 of 9 got there it was tops ... ah ... litterally. But yes it is dieing. Noticed a lot of time element movies coming out and going on now ... temporal anomally and time paradox kind of things ... Maybe they've been playing my I F games made several years ago really - LOL - voyager played with that idea some much more than the others. And I am really now off topic.

Yo

2007-10-18 03:21:09

Thanks guys. Off to fluf up Solaris Prime to a hosted turn based full audio real time board game. Not a multplayer; though I wish I could. But I know how to make the bots feel like a real player. If I did a multi, I would only allow canned messages, due to canned audio, so a bot can feel just as real as that. The idea I have is to provide a rich audio experience in a more complex game environment. This will take awhile.

Javascript file handling syntax and method is terrible and it is a sub language called Ajax. They need a Perl based language method for files. Why they did what they did I don't know.  The rest of the language is pretty cool. I imagine as Javascript is cross browser and cross different computer platforms is why they did what the did - and it don't work for me for files. And what does work for files looks nasty as heck and I imagine quite slow.

Yo