2007-10-17 19:28:30

Assault_freak:
Bear in mind I used to be a mainstream gamer, I know these things. However I was trying to express, obviously not clearly enough, that I would prefer something completely accessible.

Mike:
Bear in mind those games you mentioned were released over a period of years, how many games do you think GMA avereged a year? Anyhow what about Sound RTS? Final Conflict? And it isn't really our fault if you don't get Rail Racer's controls, plenty of people have. Not trying to insult you for not getting the controls, just saying that plenty of people do so RR can't be discounted so easily.

The shift more recently if anything seems to be more towards freeware games.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-10-18 00:21:19

Bryan,

Actually, we've released 14 self-voicing games: 9 commercial and 5 freebies, since 1 Jan.

They aren't pure audio games.

And they are definitely Casual games that hard core gamers probably wouldn't want.
But all 14 are playable purely by sound.

There is no technical reason that EA and the other big shops can't create good audio games,
or even bi-modal games with audio interfaces.

It's just greed, indifference, and ignorance that makes it not so.

John Bannick
CTO
7-128 Software

2007-10-18 01:17:56

The point we're trying to make here is that, sure tere have been games released this year, but that doesn't change the fact that the AG market is really starting to stagnate. Audio Game Maker seemed as though it had the potential to bring some life back into the market, but in its present form it's all but impossible to create games of any quality. And if you take a look at the Audio Game Maker forum on www.audiogamemaker.com, you'll notie that it's pretty much dead. People can't get the games to work the way they want them, so it seems as though most people have just stopped using the program. So it's no surprise the AG market is suffering, although I hope things do improve.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2007-10-18 11:36:13

Bryan,

I checked their forum. You've got a good point there.

Still, buggy software has been known to be fixed / finished.
So maybe people will use it if and when that happens.

And the Audyssey site has lively traffic among the developers and players.

Maybe all is not lost.

2007-10-18 13:17:38

I think people put too much hope and expectations in the audio game maker, it seems no worse than mainstream game maker software I saw pushed out at one point.

But you failed to see my point. Sound RTS, RR, final conflict...

Find the original release dates for all audio games, work out how many have been released per year, and post the findings then I might concede the point. There is nothing but a perception, and it is common for humans to say "things aren't what they were" in the absence of solid hard numbers irrespective of the reality.

And it's also not as if markets in general don't have quiet patches, consider this too.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-10-18 13:55:24

about that post earlier cj, maybe i've changed, maybe? maybe? smile Yes I have! Aha! You haven't talked to me in about lets see 3 months...

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2007-10-18 21:58:04

Yes, anyone noticed I only have 3 posts there? I never bothered with it. I downloaded the program, tried it, but... Yeh the forums died over there pretty much.

2008-04-09 17:48:56

Um, unfortunately I was right!

This is sad, but audio games are dying out, we have already lost two or three companies, and there is a good chance there will be another company comming up.

I have some good news though, me my best friend michael, my girlfriend, and 3 other people are working on a project, we are launching are websight in june, of course, there is going to be a big delay, do to the fact that I am going into the hospital on friday, but it is going to be big when we finnish, but I'm not saying anything yet!

i used to take things in life for granted...
now i have a beautiful daughter, and she means the world to me.
(at 19, i can say this is harder than it sounds)

2008-04-09 18:31:45 (edited by cx2 2008-04-09 18:32:12)

Audio games are not dieing out. Actually with the half life thing combined with Smugglers 3 I'm quite hopeful, as well as this Hyena thing I really must get around to trying out.

Companies come and go all the time, truth is I haven't really noticed a slow down. Jim Kitchen is still going, there is work being done on this 3D velocity thing, SoundRTS is getting better all the time...

cx2
-----

2008-04-09 21:02:21

Indeed Cx2. The old companies like Gma, vipgameszone and Bsc don't seem to be working, ---- with the possible exception of Draconis who have indicated their doing work of some sort, possibly on another pinball party pack.

but then there are the new guys, smugglers 3 (and the upcoming smugglers 4), Blind adrenaline and sound rts. then, a couple of companies have done recent resurrections imho, and are coming back with more titles. Usa games being the first, and Bpc programs being the second.

I also had a vaguely encouraging word from the chap at pin interactive about a second game along the lines of terraformers, ---- nothing concrete, but it sounds as if he'd like to develope more games.

so all in all, things aren't that grim.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-04-09 23:59:27

audio games are not dying out, but it is easy to think that they are dying out in a time when most things that we are interacting with these days are negative, the news, the politics, and the wars.

Connor

2008-04-10 00:03:02

Tristin, sorry about the post I wrote that like months and months ago, It's okay  if you haven't released any big games or whatever, really sorry

Connor

2008-04-10 02:37:04

Hi,
lost 3? Maybe DanZ, but Thomas Ward of USA Games, and I think Damien Sadler of X-Sight might buy the rights. I'd have to say, I know RSG and X-Sight are actively working on things, and USA Games is working on things, but Bavisoft, BSC I don't think are, I know L-Works is working on there fighting style game, I'd assume Jim is working on something, I think that's it, announced anyway. Companies go and leave.

From,
Ryan Smith
Head of RS Games
RS Games Website

2008-04-10 09:46:06 (edited by dark empathy 2008-04-10 09:51:29)

Indeed Ryan, I actually forgot about Lworks, and of course there's spoonbill games and lighttech as well, who I know for a fact are working on things. Companies do seem to come and go, ---- but luckily there seems to be more coming than going recently, and also don't forget that even someone like Bsc could surprise us with a new game.

Back in 2006, I'm afraid I'd completely written off Usa games. I'd been to their site, seen their trailers, and thought that they were all talk and no action. Now, Tom's well and truly proved me wrong on this point.

the same is equally true of Bpc programs, ---- I mean, munawar actually completely gave up on developing any games of any sort for a while.

with audio game companies it does often seem that the show's not over until the fat lady sings. I'll admit that for Bsc Vip gameszone and possibly bavisoft, it does seem as if said fat lady is going through considerable warm up exercises, but I wouldn't count out Draconis yet, ----- and possibly not gma either.

danZ has most obviously gone, and as I said I'm pretty sure about Vipgameszone, ---- and possibly bavisoft and Bsc.

Other than that though, ---- I don't know.

Oh, and you can be sure that I'm keeping an eye on prospective programmers of audio games such as the Aura game after the news last year.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-04-10 14:54:40

Then there is always the potential for people to come out of absolutely nowhere without any announcement or hyping in advance of a sudden and unexpected release.

cx2
-----

2008-04-10 15:57:20

true, that happened recently with hyena, and is happening with Dingo and Copx's work I think.

2008-04-20 03:36:42

I would suggest that you follow a DIY (do it yourself) attitude.

The market for audio games is just too small to hope for much commercial effort. All you are likely to get are simple/casual games where the relation between expenses and income can still be right.

It seems there is a lack more complex games in audio land, and whole genres practically do not exist at all.

I suggest collaborative open source development. It works in the visual world so why not here?
Sourceforge.net provides free hosting for open source projects, so all you need is time and skill.

By the way, programming games can be as much fun as playing them! smile

2008-04-21 02:54:17

Copx, what game or games are you in the process of making?
curious

Connor

2008-04-21 05:23:28

CJ wrote:

Copx, what game or games are you in the process of making?
curious

Right now I am working on "Jungle Adventure", which is kinda like a roguelike except that most maps are predefined. You play some guy who is looking for a legendary (and valueable) artifact rumored to be hidden somewhere deep in the jungle in the ruins of an ancient temple. The game is basically a straight audio port of a visual game called "Jungle Raoul" and is meant to test the "tactical cursor" concept we are discussing in the "Tactical maps in audio games" thread.

I do not know yet what I will do after Jungle Adventure is finished. I have so many ideas at the moment: a RPG with a text adventure style interface, a tactical RPG, finally finishing my Canasta card game, adding a pure audio interface to a major roguelike (if the tactical cursor concept works out), etc.

Until recently I developed the (visual) open source roguelike game "Warp Rogue" (http://todoom.sourceforge.net/), that was my most successful attempt at game development so far. Over 30000 downloads so far and an even a small fan community. But I got bored of the game.

I have no problem playing visual games (I am not blind), I am trying to develop an audio game right now because it is an interesting challenge.

2008-04-21 09:54:14

If the tactical curser works out, I'd cast a vote for the roguelike plan myself, sinse this isn't something we've seen in audio thus far, and deffinately something we need imho.

While some small commercial audio game companies ---- usually only one or two individuals do exist, to develope anythin complex takes considderable time and efffort on their part, thus there aren't many complex games at all as yet. also, I do sometimes feel that audio game developement can be a bit inward looking sometimes, only considdering what's been done before and how that could be minerly improved.

If you ever felt like working on it again copx, You could considder adding a tactical curser and self-voicing capabilities to warprogue. I remember the game being very detailed in background and story, and having a quite workable layout with lots of small passages, ---- in fact I'd say that thus far warprogue has been the easiest roguelike I've found to play because of the tweaks you've already added in list commands, though it stil takes time which would be cut considderably if it was self-voicing and had the tactical curser.

I completely understand though if you really want to work on another project, ---- afterall six years is a long time, and there are certainly many roguelikes out there which also sound fantastic and which i'd love to play, (adom particularly imho).

2008-04-21 15:53:05

yeah Copx I appreciate the enthusiasm for wanting to make audio games as a sighted person

Connor