2015-08-03 20:37:01

Hi people, im unsure where i post this topic but if im in mistake the administrator will post this topic in right forum. Im totaly blind and i wont to start with developping any text based ofline game. Can i do that becouse im blind, and i need any manual or can any give me advice which program i can use for that...

2015-08-03 22:01:36

Moderation!

The Development room is for this sort of thing. I'll move the topic, but please remember next time.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-08-04 20:56:44

@Milos, what you want to do is very possible. Being blind is no hindrance to developing software. I'm blind myself and I have been programming games and other software for over 15 years or so.

As far as writing text based games you can pretty much use any programming language you want. In fact, there are some languages such as Inform where specifically designed for text based games. It all depends upon what else you hope to accomplish with the language, and how complex a language you are willing to learn. I'd say there is no right or wrong answer to the question of which language to learn and use other than if you are comfortable with it and it does what you want it to do.

That said, might I suggest starting with Python. Python is a very straight forward programming language and uses spacing and formatting to define blocks of code rather than using braces, brackets, semi-colons, etc like you would find in C,, or Java. Its a nice minimalist language but is very powerful. Plus I find it especially nice for banging out a quick text based game or two when I'm in the mood. So you may want to give Python some thought if your needs aren't too complicated.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2015-08-06 04:45:01

Just to give you an idea of how powerful Python is: NVDA is written entirely in Python. Granted, I'm sure that there's other library's it gets from other languages, but the core is powered by Python.

2015-08-12 17:14:54

hi,
in my idea, python is very good for starting point
learn it, and try to make some little games!
then if you need low-level, try other languages like C
BGT is good, but only if you want to make audio games

2015-08-12 21:20:47

You might try AutoIt Script Language. It is very easy to learn and do stuff.

2015-08-13 01:41:34

hi milos
You can try many programing language, such as c#, python, etc.
If you want to learn relatively easy language, there are many easy things, such as autoit, python, pb or vb.
I think autoit is the easiest language, but it has some limitations.
Bgt is very easy, too, but if you want to make an online game, autoit and bgt is not good for online game.
Bgt has bunch of lags, and I know, autoit doesn't support   multithreading.
Thanks

2015-08-13 10:18:12

As momo7807 says, AutoIt doesn't have multithreading, but I think there is not a problem for that, because you want to create text-based game as far as I got, not the complex one of course, because there are no object oriented style there. However, structured programming might be the same in various cases, but object-oriented style is much more tidyer and easyer changeable. With AutoIt, you can easy make GUIS (Graphical User Interfaces (buttons, checkboxes, lables etc.)), it has ability to control TCP and UDP that is needed for making online games, you can use .dll libraries for expand its limitations, for example, you can control the sounds in the game with bass.dll, also it supports COM objects. It means, that you can control Jaws for example, SAPI (Narrator), with NvdaControllerClient.dll library you can control NVDA, you can easily catch keypresses, mouse movement, mouse clicks and so on and so forth. If you want to get some examples or learn basics of AutoIt, you can contact me, may be I will be able to help.

2015-08-13 16:48:42

hi
I have a question.
Autoit doesn't suppolt multithreading, but can I do it using dll libraries?
This means implement many things that Autoit doesn't support.
Can I do this?
Thanks

2015-08-13 20:07:51

you must have a threading library that is compiled to DLL, and with that DLL, write your game
otherwise, no

2015-08-13 22:11:09

But in theeorry, you still can use several separate .exe files for that stuff by controlling them via Environmental variables. I have never tryed this kind of thing, but it might work. Other thing, look into AdlibRegister() and AdlibUnregister() functions, it can be a solution as well, but it depends on complexity of the game. With .dll files you can handle some things independently from the script itself, but it means, that you need to write your own .dlls with some programming language, particulary for your special needs.

2015-08-14 09:27:40

I recommend you just to start with AutoIt, Python, Pascal, Visual Basic or some other easy language and when the time is right, you will understand the diferences between them and will choose whatever is best for your needs. If you want to study AutoIt at first, autoitscript.com is your friend and a great community always helps you to go on if you stuck somewhere.

2015-08-15 05:45:55

Hello Arbuz.
You seem very knoledgable about programming and I was wondering if you would be willing to teach me programming? I'm a hard worker and I'm willing to learn any language that's not autoit or the bgt engine.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2015-08-15 07:49:42

If you have a Skype, please invite me, I will leave you my contact as a private message and we will discuss that.

2015-08-15 08:07:09

@Arbuz, you seem very attached to AutoIt. Personally, I would not recommend AutoIt. Sure, Ghorthalon made some of his games in AutoIt, but that was before he discovered PureBASIC.
If you want to build a text game, you need to give us just a little bit more information, such as:

1. What genre of game do you want? (e.g.: action, action-adventure, adventure, roll-playing, etc.)

2. What programming language do you want it in?

• This is one of the most arguable topics in the programming world. There are more than 600 programming languages in existance - and more and more of them are growing. When I ask about the programming language you want it in, I'm asking about which one you'd prefer. I will give an example of some programming languages that I've found ideal for text-game development later in this post. As a hint of warning, do not ask any programmer what the best programming language is. Countless debates and flame wars have been started on this exact topic, so it's rather fragile. If you do ask someone, though, your bound to get an opinion, rather than an honest answer. For instance, if I asked Tward what the best programming language was, he might say C++ or Python, depending on his preference. Now, if you asked me the same thing, you would get a completely different answer. To summarize, just don't ask a programmer what the best programming language is unless you want to start a very dangerous flame war or debate that is everlasting and will get you absolutely nowhere.

3. What theme would you want? (e.g.: Fantasy, technological, biological, heroic, etc.)

These are just a few of the questions you need to answer before developing anything involving gaming. Below is an example of how to add commands to certain MUDs and MOOs, just to give you an example. You can either pick from one of my examples, or you can ask for something else.

Adding a command to ResortMUD
  • Go to either act_comm.c, act_info.c, act_move.c, act_obj.c, or act_wiz.c and open the respective file. Act_comm.c is meant for general commands; act_info.c is for informational commands; act_move.c is for movement and other transitive commands; act_obj.c is for commands that manipulate the objects in the environment; and act_wiz.c is for immortal commands.

• Go to the very end, and type the following code for a hello world command:

void do_helloworld (CHAR_DATA *ch, char *argument)
{
send_to_char ("Hello world!", ch);
return;
}
  • Save the file and go to the file known as 'do.h'. This is the header file for the command table. A header file is a file that is included to a main source code file; it defines functions, structures, etc. The command table is a list of definitions which define various information about a command, such as it's name, level, position, logging value, flags, where it's shown in the commands list, etc. Add the following to the end of do.h, just before the #endif:

DECLARE_DO_FUN (do_helloworld);
  • Go and open 'do.c', the main definition of the command table. Find the place where it says the following:

case 'h':

And find a safe place, then add:

if (strcmp (name, "do_helloworld"))
return do_helloworld;
  • Now, compile the game using the 'make' command on a Linux system, or use the best method for program compilation. Make sure to use the makefile!

• In the game, make sure you've ran the following command:

cedit copyover code do_copyover
cedit save cmdtable

If you've successfully ran those commands, run:

copyover
cedit helloworld create do_helloworld

If it says "command added" without any errors after it, you've just added a new command! You'll need to edit command.dat to make it permanent, though, as ResortMUD likes to replace the code property with random hexadecimal values like (0x3f4181b) (which resolves to the integer 66328603 in our decimal system, if your curious), something I find very irritating.

Adding a command in MOO

It is relatively easy to add a command in MOO. In your MOO (make sure your a programmer or wizard), follow the following steps:

1. Type:

@verb $player:helloworld
@program $player:helloworld
player:tell ("Hello world!");

You've just coded your first command in MOO!

Note

Please beware that if you make your own MOO, it will be much harder to get to a good MOO that players will enjoy, especially for combat, magic, etc. I am not trying to warn you away from MOO. However, if your just getting started with programming, I'd go for a MUD like ResortMUD where you get a nice toolbox and toolkit to play with first before you dive in and learn the code.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-08-15 08:23:21

hi
Pure basic is very good language, but you need to buy it. If you can't buy pure basic, I think visual basic is good for you. Just my thinking.

2015-08-15 15:14:49

As for the novice, I don't know if so many commands are needed for the first game. Just take easy, quickly compileable or quickly translateable language and try to do that. As you said, you need simple text game. So firstly you still need to learn what the variables are, constants, for loops, while loops, do while loops / repeat  loops or whatever they called, conditional statements, switches, conditional operators, mathematical operators, arrays, user defined functions, pre-built functions and only then you will be able to make some simple text game. When you will understand those things, you will need to learn classes and so forth, if the language isn't procedural that is.
What I want to tell, its that in fact doesn't matter which language do you really choose, basics of them are mostly similar and without it you won't be able to go on. So choose one and try to learn.

2015-08-15 19:33:00

That's why I said that if you want to make a game, use a game that gives you a boatload of stuff already there. At least you'll then have something to work with. Yes, you will have to learn the language the game is written in to work with it, but that also goes for any project.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-08-16 02:14:01

Hello Arbuz.
Well I don't have skype but I'll pick it up. I've heard that you can send text messages through skype could you teach me through skype chat? Because I don't have a microphone to talk and I don't feel like holding my laptop in front of my face lol. The 2 languages I would prefer to learn are purebasic or python. If you don't know those then I'll learn whatever you can teach me. What I need help with is coding things without all the graphics when I'm reading code that stuff always gets me confused.
My problem is I understand how coding works with if statements alerts stuff like that I just don't know how to put them into practice and write working code.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.

2015-08-16 06:48:44

I can teach you the basics of Pascal, Autoit, C++, Basic4Android (as you understand, this language is for Android programming), PHP (WEB development), HTML (also he WEB, but client side), a bit of CSS (styles), MYSQL Databases, because I usually use those in my dayly life. I don't use any more programming languages at this time. So mostly easyest thing that I can do is to help you learn Autoit, because you want to make an Audio games, it has a syntax Basic Like.

2015-08-16 07:36:59

Hello,
For text games specifically I would recommend python or inform. Speaking from a subjective viewpoint here, inform actually is kinda better than python to make text game stuff. It depends though. If you want to do a rpg and have countless calculations then inform most likely isn't right for you. But, if it's more exploration/puzzles, inform is as close to perfect as you can get. It has a pseudoenglish syntax, which really helps when beginning programming. For example, you can write
Robert picard is a man
Robert picard is in the living room
Or even
Robert picard is a man. He is in the living room.
And there you go. You got a man in a livingroom. Inform games are compiled to zcode, which has the added  advantage that the zcode interpretor has been ported to lots of machines so your game is guarantied to have closs platform support automatically. You can play zcode games on the iphone, for example.
But, to play devil's advocate, as I mentioned before inform isn't really the best language to do complex calculations in. If you are going to do a game with simplistic parser but lots of mechanics, then i'd recommend some other language like python, pure basic, whatever. Pure basic costs like 100 bucks though I think, which is...a large problem.
Someone previously mentioned visual basic. I'd really really really advise not to go that root. Visual basic has been dropping in support by Microsoft. Plus, you won't have cross platform support.
At the end though it really boils down to what language you feel easy in. Stop listening to "your language sucks" people, they are stupid. If the language is in deed stupid, you'll figure it out and at least learn basic concepts from trying to mess with it.
Hope this helped.

This is not a signature.

2015-08-16 08:00:37

Hey dhruv
The visual basic wasn't dropped now, It had just redesigned. The name of the designed version is visual basic .net
It is greate

2015-08-16 08:03:54

Hi Arbuz.
Okay well then please teach me autoit. At the very least it will get me started in programming. And luckily for me it's free.
I did look up how to do a hello world program so I understand how the message box system works. Anything else I should be working on?

Guitarman.

2015-08-16 08:20:34

So just download Skype into your computer, install it, then if you are using Jaws as your screen reader, then download the Jaws Scripts for Skype and install it as well. It is necessary for better chatting, because I don't know the better place to teach you. Maybe we can use Facebook if you don't want to use Skype, though I found that its easyer for me to do it on Skype. So if you decide to use it, Jaws Scripts for it are here:
http://www.dlee.org/skype/
I have sent you a private message with my Skypename.

2015-08-18 11:35:03

hello again,
every programming language has it's advantages and of course disadvantages
for example, C++ has class, while C doesn't, and we must use struct
or, pascal has procedure, and unit, but in C++ and C, it is different and we don't have program and unit
in pascal for example, we use uses, while in c and C++ we use preprocessor #include to include a header or to use another library
so, it is up to you to choose
and, it depend's on what you want to make
but about Visual basic dot net, it is very depend's on  dot net framework
VB6 doesn't supported and has abandand by many programmers and of course microsoft