2015-08-02 06:35:38

Hi all,
If you're looking for a mud with players, you'll be disappointed. If you're looking for a mud is based around quests, really has no color, at least a far as keywords for quests and such. I have just completed the tutorial, which is quite extensive. The tutorial ends with the mystery of the overarching quest of the entire game. Finding just what your dream is about when waking up at the beginning of the game. In turn, completing this also makes you a wizard. I'm not sure if that means building/coding privs, but anyhow, that's all I know regarding that.
For a game that has really no userbase, the admins still update the game. Usually these games stop being updated once players decline, but last update was in March.
If you want to check out the game yourself, the connection info is:
frandum.fr 2001

I'm Orinks. I plan to do more stuff after the tutorial.

2015-08-02 15:25:05

Hi
Sory for my bad English, I'm french.
This game is very interesting. I begign it, but I have few questions.
I go see Jodai, and he say me to find the oracle at the South of a way. How to do for find him?
How to do for find others quests?
How to do for delete a character and beggin a new game?

thank you

2015-08-02 18:29:28

Just giving this one a go now, I'm imaginatively dark on there. I was a little sorry the races comman didn't work at startup sinse I'm a human, but hay there are worse things to be, I will say the game looks interesting, especially for an exploring nut like me, not combat heavy but great for questing  though right now I'm waiting to complete my quest sinse someone else is doing it.

The only thing that seems a bit whacky is needing to type direction commands multiple times. I get that this is supposedly to simulate travelling longer distances, but it still seems a bit weerd, more like taking up your fingers than real distance.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-08-03 10:20:43

Hello,

Feyn speaking, one of the admins of Frandum.

It is true players have been lacking recently, but we keep updating the game based upon the ideas of those who come and our own crazy dreams. Thanks for the review and comments, I'm generally around during office hours CET and ready to answer your questions (though holidays are coming). Others admins come from time to time but they are quite shy tongue. If no one seems to be around, you can use the pray/report/idea/bug/typo commands to register your questions, complaints, or improvement proposals.

To answer the questions above: there is no command to delete a character though I can delete yours if you want. Anyway, you are not limited in the number of characters you start, so if you have changed your mind you can start again, or ask me and I can for instance change your race. The Oracle is south of the city of Agnor, which is due west of the Crossroads of Wildstone and then some to the north before reaching Tumulus. She is the one who will tell you more about the mysterious dreams as you gain levels, through riddles leading to new clues and books listing the places to visit based upon your level. Going there you will find plenty of quests of all kinds, adapted to your strength and experience.

2015-08-03 10:26:53

How much content does this mud have, in terms of rooms/mobs/quests? And does it have a webpage?

2015-08-03 14:14:21

@Feyn, hello and welcome to the forum. Personally I'm a big questing fan, so I look forward to exploring more of that side the game, though I hope the quests aren't too far into guess the verb if style teretory, but we'll see.
My only miner complaint thus far is the ascii map, sinse most people here use screen reading programs to speak text out loud and as you imagine listening to slash slash slash bar bar bar slash hash hash isn't too informative big_smile.
Then again I've only run into one ascii map so far at the crossroads, so maybe that is the only one in the game?

I don't mind playing as a human, sinse unlike with other games it seems that in frandum your race doesn't limit you hugely to specific classes or whatever, but it might have been nice to find out more information earlier, or be able to change my race later, still it's not something I'm too bothered about. Hopefully I can finish the quest in the chapple and see what else the game has to offer.

@Victorious, yes, the game has a website which contains info about the world and setting find it here

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-08-03 14:54:36

@Dark, the quests are really about adventuring and discovering the world. Keywords come in handy to get information but are not the core of the thing. Sorry about the ASCII map and generally speaking the ASCII art. It is a hard balance to find between 100% text and some "graphical" features, though we have been adding a web-based client that provides images, so we could surely remove some of these old ASCII arts. To my knowledge nothing vital is contained within them, but I'm here to help if you have any doubts or get drown in a flood of them.

@Victorious, Dark got it right on the website wink. In terms of raw numbers Frandum has 8000+ rooms, 12000+ items, 1700+ mobs, 1100+ quests

2015-08-03 15:05:01

Hi Frandum.

The Ascii hasn't been too bad thus far, though if there are some really huge regions you could consider a "where" command to work like the chapple map, plus then I could give the game a page on the db of this site, sinse we unfortunately can't list every mud so list any with screen reader adaptations.
I also like the fact combat isn't super spammy either, sinse that can also be problematic screen reader wise, though combat only seems part of the game not the hole of it.

The only miner thing I've run into thus far was completely a none access problem.
In the chapple I chose to go west rather than east, fell into a hole and climbed out which is fare enough, however then I couldn't get back east to see what was in the other direction sinse whenever I went that way I was told "your feet slip from under you" and was returned to where I was. That was okay, accept I seem to utterly have missed the location of the key to the chest, indeed right now I'm making my way back to the chapple just to find it sinse I can tell from my fight with the novice guard that not having the contents of that chest wasn't helpful.

One thing I do like is the idea of guild quests with multiple guilds to join that give you different things to do, sinse it always irritates me in games when your told "woopse sorry, can't do this activity your the wrong guil or class or whatever"

I'm guessing that the only guild with restrictive entrance is the thieves? indeed the help entry on guilds indicated some guilds closed others, can you resign from certain guilds? or is there a way to tell if you join one guild what others it might preclude?

I'm guessing the guilds are more an alignment thing, eg, a person couldn't be a paladin and a thief, but if say I went and joined the travellers only to find that they had some grudge with the rangers or similar it'd be a trifle annoying if I didn't know first.

I'm liking what I see of the game thus far, particularly how the  object parser is comparatively small and quests seem more involved with looking at things and exploring than  random illogical if style "stuff dwarf with spongecake" type of puzzles of the Zork type.

2015-08-03 16:17:46

Thanks Dark for your comment. Our goal with Frandum is to propose a journey: not a fighting pit (combat can very often be avoided), not a safe haven for sudoku experts, and especially not a dwarf stuffing experience. The world of Frandum has history, it has inhabitants who have their lives and their goals, and if you forget about magic in the end we feel that the world is logical and consistent. So you won't be expected to do something that does not make any sense, won't be punished if you look carefully and heed the warnings and you shouldn't be clueless if you spend time exploring and talking.

Each guild has one enemy guild that generally does pretty much the same (travellers vs. rangers, healers vs. alchemists..), to the exception of fighters vs. elementalists. The people who welcome you should tell you about their enemies, as do the various helps (but it was kinda missing for travellers so we will add it. I can demote you from the travellers guild if you like). Guilds are places to learn skills, get benefits and quests but are not a must have. Indeed you can become a Wizard without joining any guild.

I guess that since your post you found the way out of the chapel by looking at Jodai. A great many things are triggered by looking at people and stuff.

As for the maps, there is a "go" command that will take you to a place you already know if you are not too far, as well as a track command increasing in efficiency as you progress in the adventuring skill. Would it be useful to have a "trimmed down" version of the map commands removing all the decorating dashes?

2015-08-03 21:59:35

Interesting, I was just looking at guilds primarily for quests sinse I ran into the travellers guild while wandering in the village. If there is in fact a go command the maps might be unnecessary sinse I could just type go wherever and be given a direction, I'll see how it works.
The dashes and other ascii on the maps isn't useful, however if you removed these and left the place names you would just then hear with a screen reader a long list of names which probably wouldn't tell you where places were relative to each other, but if there is an alternative way of finding that information such as the "go" command fare enough.

With the Chapple I seem to have run into a miner problem, which i admit is probably my fault. I couldn't find the key, (I did think I looked at Joday but I might not have done). Originally I just attacked the novice guard with my stick because she was there just to see what happened, and I think I got lucky.

so I went back to look in the chest, however like a dope I sold the rope so have fallen into the trap and can't get out.

Btw, what is the penalty for recall mentioned in the help? I've had to use recall a couple of times now, once when I got lost in the marsh, and once when I got lost somewhere else. I don't mind using it, but I'd prefer to know what the penalty for using it is.

If I have to abandon the chapple I'll probably start off by seeing this oracle if I can find it, I was attempting to get back from tumulus to the crossroads when I got lost in the marsh sinse I am not sure what direction the crossroads and statue are from said village, though I'll see if the go command helps.

2015-08-04 06:23:17

A proposed suggestion I just thought of: Making a quest arrow for your current objective in the diary. Some may say this might take away from exploration, but I disagree. With 1100+ quests, surely there are quests you can complete on the way to your main objective. Similar to the temple map, the arrow could, if the Oricle was your main objective, lead you to it. Similarly, if your objective changes the location of said arrow will change, and so there should be an ability to switch it back to the Oricle/previous objective in the diary.
This would make it like a modern RPG in a video game such as Skyrim. When you get a quest, an arrow points to where you need to be. Like the chapel map, the text could say your objective from this current location is south.
What do people think of this? I think the feature would be useful for everyone, not just for screen reader users. Once you get there you explore the area, look at and use things to figure stuff out.
As I said, with the number of quests available, 1100+--keep in mind the plus, which means that more are being added... I don't know how often. I will try to find a guild in the main village. Elementalist perhaps.

2015-08-04 06:44:41

@Orin, there is no paralell between Skyrim and any mud simply because Skyrim is a fully 3D environment while a mud is made up of distinct rooms in text. Skyrim has an arrow for quest locations the same way Swamp has audio beacons, because your in a massive space with free movement and need some indicator on how to find something.

It is possible that some sort of locator as per the one in the chapple map could be needed in the game, which gives you a direction to an object, however if the quests are well written enough theoretically you shouldn't need this sinse the quests should tell you where to go from the diary descriptions as they did in the case of the chapple.
If that is so, then you will already be pointed to the right area and the only issue will be finding that area, hence my "whereis" type suggestion above.

I just hope I can fix the chapple problem sinse I have a nasty feeling running around with a stick and a linen tunic is going to get me killed sooner or later, plus I don't know about recalling.

2015-08-04 11:57:47

@Dark, go actually makes you walk without you having to type anything. It could be completed with a command telling you the direction (in case you want to know without actually going there). Ok for the maps, I'll leave them be.
Regarding recall, the penalty is mentioned in the help and in the tutorial, without telling exactly what it is. This can be improved: it costs you your non-owned stuff and half your hit points. For the rope you left before I could answer yesterday but by searching you found a new one and just forgot to get it, eh eh. You never have to abandon a quest: at worst if things got wrong (e.g. you killed the wrong person) you can reset and start again.

@Orin, not a bad idea but there are quests and quests. When I say 1100+ quests, it means unitary achievements that are noted in your diary. A single, wizard-type quest generally contains 5 to 15 of these unitary items. And all quests do not start by someone asking something of you specifically, sometimes you have to look around to find what could be done. Eventually, as the game is entirely open (you can go wherever you want and quest in any order you want), it would be a little too directive to always point you to whatever new hint someone gave you. And besides, there's the fun of exploring, finding your way based upon general hints. Long story short: I think an extension of the go command working on known cities and villages (kingdoms are tougher) and telling you their rough direction (e.g. "quite far to the north and close to the east") could be useful. This information is provided in the maps on the website and automaps of the client, so it's only fair it is also available for telnet users. We do have latitude and longitude, so it shouldn't be too hard to determine. I'll note it down and work on it whenever free time appears.

2015-08-04 19:37:16

Oh, I'm so weak... You now have a new "directions" command: enjoy!

2015-08-05 03:43:32

hi all, I was playing around with this mud and it's pretty nice so far.
however I am stuck at the tutorial where I am at the in and when I go west it says some force of the old woman prevents you from getting out of the in.
any tips?

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2015-08-05 04:51:07

Talk to the woman. Look at her to get the specific keyword.

2015-08-05 05:08:38

when I talk to the woman, it says do you want to tell me about your dreams, young one?

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2015-08-05 07:10:37

Then it is precisely what needs to be done: "tell woman dream"

2015-08-05 08:56:52

Hi Frandum!
Yeah, this mud is realy nice! And the direction and go commands are very good ideas. But it is a little bit tricky without having a list of allready vissited locations or known places. So i think it would be good to have something like a map diary for this.
Keep up this good work! I will check it out!

2015-08-05 17:09:42

Hi,
A help kingdoms has been added to complement what is listed on the website. Then help on a given kingdom will list its cities on which you will be able to use directions. Yet in the end the idea is to go to places once you've heard abouut them, mainly through the Oracle's hint books

2016-01-22 10:15:57

Hi,
It's been a while but we just wanted to let you know that we have added a set of cool features for screenreader users, including an ascii command to remove those nasty decorations. We also had the pleasure of welcoming a new screen-reader Wizard who did it all by himself, so we are confident your experience in Frandum will be quite fruitful and enjoyable. Feel free to report issues in game or here, should you dare face the new Frandum...

2016-01-29 04:30:11

Hmm, I should try this.

2016-01-30 22:46:54

Having some issues, the most urgent being that when I login and try to move, there is some serious lag. I have to hit w a few times and enter, or whichever direction.
Then, isn't there some kind of quest command to remember what I was last assigned? I was in the Oracle's hut, but ot lost and can't find my way back again due to this lag issue. And, since I haven't gained any levels yet, I can't read the "nothing" book? Kinda lost at what to do right now. I can't remember which last quest i did and what the advice was that said NPC offered me to do next.

2016-02-01 18:22:35

Hello Orin, and thanks for your message.
The fact of typing a direction thrice in the wild and twice in villages / cities is actually a game feature to simulate the fact that places are far away (as we don't have a notion of movement points or fatigue).
There is nothing like a "last assignment" as you can do quests in any given order. The Oracle is north, north, north, west, west and north from the Crossroads of Wildstone (reachable via directions cow or recall). You may also track her someday if you improve your skills). You can ask for the riddle and book of any level below or including yours, so you have access to the Nothing and Novice riddles (by telling nothing or novice to the Oracle) or the books by telling the level name to the shelves.
If you have validated the riddles and books you can also find them in your diary under "The Oracle", or simply by typing "diary f nothing book" (f=find option of the diary).
Hope this helps!

2016-04-20 16:36:34

Hi,
so, I started this game and really like it so far, although there is really noone there besides me. big_smile
But I'm kind of stuck now because I'm trying to complete as many quests as possible. So I was wondering if maybe someone can help with a few questions I have.
I'm currently in Tumulus, the village you come to after the tutorial. My first issue is, that there are two houses in the village which I can't enter, because some angry women throw me out again. Is there way to enter one or both of these houses? It's because I hope there might be items in there I'm trying to find.
Second I'm trying to find something for writing on paper for a quest. I found an empty paper, but nothing to write with. Any hints there would be great.
Thanks
Tikki