2015-08-05 14:50:26

Ok, back to the topic, can I use NVDA 2015.2 with windows 10? or do I need to use the snapshot version to interact with windows 10?

2015-08-05 15:16:00

Hi.

I'm running the latest version of NVDA. not the snapshot but the other stable version and everything is working fine. Yes there's some issues with the start menu, trying to set up cortana for example, but it can all be done with a bit of pacience.

I'm gone for real :)

2015-08-05 16:26:40

windows 10 is nice for me at least
i liked cortana       and i found a new voice in that named as microsoft eva  u s English
and if i installed  u k english tts from optional features then we can get to more voices over all i liked it  and using n v d a next so its betar
i know that
there are some bugs but that will be solved in September update

my d b invitation
to all   
hi make a new account   by going to this link and get 500 MB extra   go grab it
https://db.tt/eiWBLCJn

2015-08-06 03:28:46

Hi.

Yep, I agree. I'd really like the British voice for cortana though, i'm very sure it's  a tts voice, it sounds great but there's that tts kind of sound to it. I've managed to download microsoft david from the optional features list, thanks Animesh for that, and find the voice to be quite good to play games with. I'd not read with it though.

2015-08-06 04:41:58

Hi.

What is this optional features thing? I'm just curious. I thought the only way to obtain other voices was to install other language versions of Windows. As for Microsoft Eva, do't you still have to use a registry hack to unlock it?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2015-08-06 05:39:20

Hi.

If you type in optional features into the start menu, you'll come across a icon called optional features. (It's the first one you find when typing it in.) Press enter on that and tab around, you'll find a list of features already installed and a button that says something like; install features, click on that and you'll be shown a list of features to install. Press enter on the ones you want to install and that's it.

2015-08-06 09:01:53

David sounds a little sleepy. smile

By the way, could somebody who's got the voices make a small recording showing the new voices. It would be appreciated.

2015-08-06 15:05:01 (edited by Socheat 2015-08-06 15:05:29)

Indeed. David sounds like slepy. hahaha.
and I would love to hear the new voices too.

2015-08-07 07:22:56

This link might help. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/accessibility/a … users.aspx
As mentioned in the article, Microsoft Edge isn't very accessible with screen readers, so I prefer to stick to Internet Explorer. It also seems that Groove music is being used instead of Windows Media Player.
I tried to press Windows C, but nothing happened.
How does one set up an alarm?
I don't think there is a universal way of making every single thing accessible, unless everyone shared and agreed on the same ideas, and as long as those ideas worked out in practice as they do in theory. It would be a good thing, but we need to be morepatient and at the same time raise awareness about the problem.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2015-08-07 07:53:48

Hi GreenGablesFfan.

First, you need to set up Cortana.

Do this with these steps:
1. Go to the start menu and write Cortana in the edit box.
2. Tab around until you hear, list: home. arrow down until you hear notebook, and press enter. After that, you need to tab around again, I can't remember what it says but it will say something like set up, hey cortana, button, press enter on that and tab around and you should get to a button that allows you to set up your microphone.

Note: NVDA numpad six is a great thing to use hear if you're using NVDA to read the words you need to say to get Cortana to recognize your voice. Once that's all set up, you should be able to say, hey Cortana,  and straight away after ask your question. For example; hey cortana, what's the weather like today.

You should also be able to use windows C to talk to Cortana as well.

As for setting up an alarm, simple ask cortana to, set alarm, or set up an alarm, then cortana will ask you for the time of the alarm, tell her the time you want it set for and you're done!

To stop the alarm from playing press windows A. to bring up the action center window.

I hope this helps and if not, please tell me where you're having issues and I'll try to help. i've managed to set cortana up with no problems and I'm using NVDA.

2015-08-07 09:20:38 (edited by Green Gables Fan 2015-08-07 09:23:26)

Ah, thanks for that. I finally got it to work. What I'm not understanding is whether or not Cortana uses pre-recorded voices or text to speech voices, or something like that. There was something about it on the forum, but it was kind of vague.
I wonder how one can customise the sounds for the alarm? Is this done in the notification or action centre?
Oh, and in response to that spam bot who said that Windows was their girlfriend, it reminded me about what somebody said about how Cortana was their friend's girlfriend.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2015-08-07 10:46:33 (edited by brad 2015-08-07 10:48:27)

Hi.

I think it's a bit of both. i think the american voice is pre recorded and the UK one is text to speech as far as I know. I do really like the UK voice. I have no complaints so far, and that's awesome because i always find a problem with text to speech, b ut this one seems very nicely done. i've not tried the US voice but I'm sure it's just as good.

2015-08-07 15:48:11

Ok, someone on DECTalk's mailing list has recorded a sample of This Voice
This voice sounds simeler to david, but it has raised pitch a bit.
Enjoy!

2015-08-07 18:04:17

Hi.

Nice voice.. For some reason i can't get these voices. i got the david one, no problem but couldn't find the others.

2015-08-08 03:01:49

Yes, it sounds nice. but a little compack from my opinion.

2015-08-08 13:06:22

hi all this is the voice which i liked in windows 10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjYVl4VKm3k

my d b invitation
to all   
hi make a new account   by going to this link and get 500 MB extra   go grab it
https://db.tt/eiWBLCJn

2015-08-08 14:55:14 (edited by Socheat 2015-08-08 14:55:50)

if cortana doesn't have my language could I switch to another language to use it?

2015-08-08 18:42:06

hi,
Previously I installed the preview version but it didn't detect my sound card first.
Now I fear that it don't detect my sound card agagin.
I hope it does though.
Thanks.

2015-08-08 20:13:07

hi Socheat

Yes, you can. I'm sorry to say I don't know how you do it, so can't help.

2015-08-08 23:45:52

@sochiet
Can you clarify what you mean in terms of switching to another language? Do you mean switching your entire system to a different language, or just Cortana?
Thanks.

2015-08-09 00:20:22

It keeps telling me to reboot my pc and try running the installer again.

2015-08-09 03:18:19

hi superb
I mean, switch my intire system to another language...

2015-08-09 07:37:19

Thinking about this again. Going to make an attempt at downloading it and installing it myself... I'm assuming other people people with no vision at all have managed to install windows 10 with no issues? I hope I don't brick my laptop... I'm travelling for a week in a few days and I'm going to need it!hahaha.

Discord: clemchowder633

2015-08-09 09:46:56

it shouldn't be the problem if you follow the installation guide all should be fine.

2015-08-09 10:48:14

Hi.

You can install it with no problems what so ever. Just make sure to have a couple hours free so that you can install it. If you have knfb reader you can take pictures of the installing screens, but after the first restart, if you don't have knfb reader, you should  be able to use narator to see how many files are downloading and how far you have left to go to download said files.

If you don't know, the best way to turn narator on is byholding down window and presssing enter, do the same to  turn it off. use The NVDA, or narator key, (caps lock,) and left or right to move in the settup window, use Narator key and space to click on an item.

I hope this helps.