2015-07-19 16:32:08

Hi. Subject says it all; this is a place for forumites to talk about food: recipes, favorite foods, and everything else regarding food!

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

Thumbs up

2015-07-19 17:42:10

Hi,

Very nice topic indeed. My favourite foods are:
1. Rice. Tastes absolutely beautiful, especially when Mum cooks it. The best in Urfa is Firik Pilav. My Father and Mother can both make it.
2. Meet. Especially when it's fried. Roasted chicken is also one of the best foods you could get. Tawuk Sote is also good. Someone Turkish please translate that into English for me.
3. Lahmajun. I can't remember the recipe so if anyone knows, please forward it to the discussion. Basicly you wrap up meet and salad into a role. The slices are really small. They can be very  spicey, or they are not/. Spicey ones are good because they are healthy for your body. Essencially, they make your blood less sugary, reducing the risk of misketos attacking you in the night. It might burn you but trust me my friend you'll feel strong. Just make sure not to get a too spicey one otherwise you might cry. And that's not an insult, that is actually true. Once we bought food in Turkey and it was so peppery that my Brother was crying because it hurts a lot!
3. Adana. Another turkish food. I actually don't know how to describe it but you should deffenitly try it out. It's this long meety thing. If you go to Durrum - not Durham in Saudi, by the way, then you can buy it.
4. We call it arap tawasi in Turkish. I really don't know how to describe it. In english it translates to arab dish, but I don't think it's actually from Arabs. If you go to a Turkish restaurant just ask and you'll love it.
Chocolate cake is also nice. Kunefe ttatli is also good. If you do vacation in Urfa, you'll taste it. See thing in England is when you get turkish sweets like Baklava, it's cold. However in Turkey you'll first get it nice  and hot. They love to add a lot of sugar in Urffa though compared to England so do eat sparingly! Seriously, the stuff here will energise you if you feel out of comition. Personally, I think the way food produced in Turkey is much better than the food in England, ffor example if you live in rural areas. For example, they make Lahmajun in London, and it's good, but the quality is knowhere the level of Birecik Lahmajun, because we produce organicly. I'm not saying in England there isn't organic food but in rural areas it is very easy to come by and in places like Istanbul it is very hard.
Best regards,
Thunderfist.

Thumbs up

2015-07-19 19:25:16

Have any of you ever had dinner for breakfast?
Sometimes I go to jack in the box and order 10 chicken nuggets, a large fries, bbq sauce, and a large coke at 9 in the morning.

2015-07-19 20:23:31 (edited by brad 2015-07-19 20:25:01)

Hi.

I love love love food!
Fresh food is the best. No processed crap for me, please. Fresh meat, fresh veg, fresh everything.

raw Garlic and Ginger are great for the body and can heal many things.

I love eating raw garlic or Ginger when i have a cold or cough or anything really.

Spicy food is great, malay dishes are awesome, mexican fresh food is amazing. For example; we have this restaurant about an hour away called wahacas, it's amazing. Everything is fresh.

I need to go back to the gym because I need to  loos a bit of my belly. and breathing issues sometimes. Nothing to bad; I just get out of breath sometimes when going up and down stairs.

I'm gone for real :)

Thumbs up

2015-07-19 23:23:29

@Thunderfist, interesting, a lot of things I've not heard of though will bare it in mind if I come across a good tirkish place, albeit you did make me laugh when you talked about durrum in saudi, sinse Durham, up in north England is where I live myself and last I checked there wasn't a huge speciality community of middle eastern chefs up here big_smile. ,     . I can agree on fresh ingredients, especially rice actually sinse it changes drastically, the generic white dried stuff that's sold in mass produced packets over here isn't good, but a lot of places sell more speciality stuff, albeit I'll freely admit that sinse I live alone and don't cook for anyone but myself my cooking habbits are a wee bit lazy, stir fry or a curry is about the most elaborate thing I'll do.

I believe I had the spicy rolls your talking about in Egypt, though unfortunately I think they took down the spice level for us weedy westerners big_smile. I was certainly disappointed at the kofta, (which I'm probably horribly miss spelling), that is similar to a sausage but made of spiced meet, usually lamb I think, I know a chap who can make them properly  and they take your head off,  in egypt I think they skimped on the peppers big_smile.

Actually Thunderfist, if you've only been to London, you might have missed on the fresh stuff that is available elsewhere, particularly local butchers. My local butcher near to where my parents are is a perfect example, he cooks and cures all his own meets and when he makes a steak pie, it has huge chunks of beef! not just the mass produced rubbish, indeed a lot of British farmers regularly complain about such (a chap I went to school with was the son of a pork farmer and he'd always tell anyone at length about how much he disliked the european trading regulations that basically meant battery farms in countries where regulations were less strict about things like feeding pigs on random chemicals and keeping them in tiny cages were under cutting prices of British farmers, sinse such things are illegal over here).

As for me, I like many things, from propper steak, to a good roast, to a decent restaurant, generally anything cooked properly, although I'm much more a fan of actually hot, cooked stuff rather than cold salads, (it's a personal thing).

@Brad, that doesn't sound good, personally I don't bother with a gym sinse the nearest one to me is quite a ways, i just run each day for about 15 minutes, although I always tell people I'm an operatic tenor so I am allowed to be a fat geezer, ---- and eat lots of pasta! big_smile.
Seriously I do actually try to exercise, especially because of my singing.

@Datajake, I've had some pretty crazy meels at weerd times, especially when my sleep pattern decides to go bye bye, I've been known to cook a full meal at midnight or the like. aCtually there is a friend of mine who turns up, hits my kitchin like a bomb but always tries out random recipes on me for all sorts of things from venison stew with port, to beef wellington and even chilly. The problem is because he has the organization of a flee, our evenings usually involve him turning up at about 5 pm, the starter appearing at about 7, with perhaps some cheese and wine or similar at about 8-30. The main course he usually tries to plan to get cooked for 10, however it always ends up taking longer and has been known to turn up as late as half past one! we usually then sit around, listening to doctor who audios or just chatting and drinking port before coffee and some form of desert which can be any time between 2 and 4, with perhaps more coffee at 5.

Yes, my friend is a bit mad!  When I went to watch the 3rd hobbit film with him at christmas, he produced a bottle of port, plus two actual wine glasses, and some  bomaw wisky and a box of god knows how expensive chocolates!

Then again my concepts of breakfast are a little shaky anyway, mostly I have just a smoothy and some coffee and a banana, and some days just coffee, then I head to my nice sandwich place for brunch at around 10 Am and get myself an awesome toasty and one of their amazing cakes, usually withsome fresh juice, ---- well Reever needs at least a 40 minute walk and if that walk goes past the award winning sandwich place that was voted best in the northeast of England two years running, well that's not my! fault big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-07-20 20:42:18

Hi Dark,

that's understandable, I suppose. Westerners arn't generally as hard as us Easterners when it comes to eating very hard food. I'm like that too, I would never eat anything with pepper unless the taste isn't in there. And if the kofte was disappointing, it shouldn't have been. I erge you to look in England if you ever have the chance, and you should be able to find a good one. And disorganised breakfast habbits? I'd do this but I thinkk my old man would bale me out since I don't know where the layout of the kitchen very well. Basicly, get up at 4, 5, or 6. If you're the kind that likes to sleep, get up at 6. Fetch some fruit to eat. A good breakfast is one that is little but energises you. See, rather than having four sandwitches, you can have 1 chese, 1 chocolate spread, and eat some fruit, and you'll be buzzing. Additionally, cirial can help as well. Dates have been proven to be rather energising actually. If you feel very exhausted, either eat some dates or chocolate after breakfsst. Two days ago, I had two chocolates - I don't know what they are. They tasted nice and energised my exhausted brain.

Thumbs up

2015-07-21 10:26:28

Get up at 4 5 or 6?  in Britain at least that is wwaaay too early and would probably cause you to drop out later. I don't know about countries that have a siesta in the mid afternoon.
Likewise I wouldn't personally fancy chocolate spread for breakfast, indeed most chocolate spread has usually been over sweet for me, and even when i've found one I like I prefer it on pancakes or brioche for a dessert rather than just on bread.

Now, with chocolate I can talk with a little authority. Most commercial chocolate is usually very low in coco, we're talking about 4-7 percent. This is a shame sinse coco itself is extremely good for you, and the  rest is padded out with lots of crap such as gelatine and extra sugar, indeed propper chocolate shouldn't! be too sweet.
Coco is a very bennificial substance, it's good for your brain, it  acts as an anti depressant, and it reduces cholesterol, however the major problem is as I said, most usual chocolate contains so little.
Even a decent milk chocolate can be 40 or 50 percent coco, though they tend to be sweeter and contain more cream, however a really good, decentquality dark chocolate should be around the 70 or 80 percent mark.
it's not to everyone's taste sinse it isn't sweet, but for pure coco it's the best thing and far better for you, and provided you get from a good make such as hotel chocolate or green and blacks coco, you won't find it too rough, (lint, for all their advertising are waaaaaay too gritty and usually end up unpleasant).

I have stayed in some places that had awesome breakfasts, like of course the full english, bacon, sausage, eggs, (I prefer scrambled myself but other people prefer fried or poached), hash browns (which are crisped potatoes), mushrooms, tomatoes (though I'm not keen on tomatoes), or beans, plus toast and sometimes other things.
I am also very fond of smoaked salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast, though I rarely get that, as smoked salmon tends to be a bit pricy and so I only have it on rare occasions or when staying somewhere good.

Of course, if you have a breakfast like that, you rarely need much for lunch, though i can say it's pretty awesome if your out all day being very active, I definitely appreciated such when I was on my vocal studdies course (sinse you wouldn't believe how hard days of singing are).

On the subject of spice, I do think in egypt they were trying to humour the tourists, or assumed people from Britain wouldn't appreciate the local spcies, but to be honest I don't agree and was quite disappointed as I said.
Personally if I am going to have something from another culinary tradition, I prefer having it as appropriately as possible, including the same levels of spice people from that tradition would have, it might not appeal to me, but I'd much rather try it done properly, indeed I remember a lovely recent experience where some very nice tirkish gentlemen treated me to a coffee made in the traditional method, which was awesome!

Similarly, I have tried deep frie chicken feet, at a very good local chinese, I can't say I cared for those, but I was willing to give them a try.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-07-21 10:57:15

I can understand you feel disappointed when people do that. To be honest Dark, hunny is better than chocolate. It is healthier and actually makes your hunger disappear. Plus, you can have hunny in a container for a year and it wouldn't go off. This has been scientificly proven. Also, certain types of hunny can cure certain types of illnusses. I have a very bad sore throat and would have gotten some hunny, but they don't cell it here. And even if they do,, it would probably be too expensive so my family wouldn't get it. Another good food you can have is those yoghurt bar thingies. If you really feel out of commition, those should be good for you. Anyway, off to start a new thread.

Thumbs up

2015-07-21 14:29:54

Sinse propper chocolate does not contain much sugar, it's just the mass produced commercial variety that causes the issue,  saying "honey is better than  chocolate" makes no sense to me, that's like saying "jam is better than cabbage" the two things are so incomparable that you can't really judge.

of course if your talking sugar content, then honey will always be an improvement, indeed I often take a spoon full of honey myself just for my throat (especially menooka honey), but as I said, don't confuse chocolate with sugar.

2015-07-21 15:00:55

As far as food goes I'm a typical American. By that I mean I am a junk food junky. I love hamburgers, chili dogs, chicken filet sandwiches, pizza, you name it I probably love it. Of course, it is all not good for me from a health perspective, but I'm of the sneaking suspicion if it is good for you it probably doesn't taste that good either. LOL.

Actually, I can and do eat fruits, and vegetables, etc too and like them well enough. However, if I have my own way I'll grab a nice cheese burger with all the works before I'll grab an apple, orange, or anything else that is probably a healthier choice.
Although, that is changing as I get older and have to made more health conscious decisions about what I eat and drink on a regular basis.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2015-07-21 17:56:23

What do you mean it doesn't make sense? Let me give you an example. For example, if you take a spoonful of hunny or two, you'll feel energised. Believe me I've done it and the results were amazing.

Thumbs up

2015-07-21 17:58:25

How long left until my galaxy stranger status is terminated?

Thumbs up

2015-07-21 23:55:57

Hi.
Wow, a topic on the thing I like a lot.
I have seen this but never had a chance to comment on it till now.
Obviously chocolate especially dark organic lindt or donovins I think.
Chilly, ginger, milk dark, coconut, rum, wine and anything unusual.
Ofcause I hardly buy chocolate never less that type organic dark especially at 80%-95% is not the cheapest thing to get especially organic dark ginger in a bag and they are so small.
Cake of all types all countries for the most part is ok.
Since we are talking international food since my ansestral home is indonesia and since my mum and aunt and grand parents and a couple uncles come from there.
Gado, gado, which is a salad but with egg, fried onions and peanut sauce as well as potatoes beansprouts and carrots is quite good.
umping, kindar, croopook which are like chips here I guess.
tofu, which again can be eaten as wet, dry, fried with abc which is sweet sause or in chip form.
We have our own chocolate and a fruite called durian roughly translated to custard fruit.
It has been known to give those that eat to much of it a totalled stomach for a couple nights.
pundun is a light cake of a sort which is steamed and is like chocolate there are also cakes made of rice.
sesame balls with red bean in and several other things like that.
Japanese sushi is good though from friends the real japanese non europian sushi is more fishy than we are used to over here in new zealand.
I like japanese stuff turkish stuff and things like fried squid legs if its done right.
Coreon food shops exist here and since its close enough to indonesian/ aisian food with things like chocolate sticks and stuff I do eat it.
I like most fruit porpor, mango, banana maderin, grape and some unusual fruits I can not spell.
munkeyson something like our manderan orange here.
salac something like an apple but taste like persimon ish.
chilly, meat of all sorts ofcause especially steak, salmon, standard fish and chips and the like.
Dark you may be interested to know that the english have invaded my country, many shops.
So I like things like jaffa cakes, bornville chocolate and fudge wallnut whips, and those crazy roast pork, bacon and other type of english chips and drinks.
Being from indonesia I also like a selection of teas and other things like that.
Indonesian coffee is not something I actually like but there is a lot of coconut based jelly drinks and desserts.
In singapoor which I visited there is a thing called hinan chicken and rice which is chicken and rice in sesame oil and then several sauces to dip in.
So many things to be honest.
We have dried meats for putting on toast and a lot of sate you would call it scuers on sticks.
Spring roles both normal and fresh and noodles rice and egg ofcause.
I have also tried tie food, my favorites are the pad tie, penang, musimon and red currys.
Anything unusual unless its something like salted licerish or something bad but yeah that is me.
The food invasion was not a big deal but 20 years back shops started coming and in the last 5 years there are loads of them.
Last year a english shop came close to where I live and a shop called wang mart which has almost everything a guy would want and then some.

Thumbs up

2015-07-22 03:18:10

To the person who asked about eating dinner for breakfast, I tend to do the reverse of that a lot, and eat breakfast for dinner. I think I do this because I rarely eat in the morning. I find that if I try, I feel nauseous, and it's just generally unpleasant. I don't really get hungry until I've been up and about for a couple of hours, and usually after I have a couple of cups of coffee in me.
So to me breakfast has always been a bit overrated, though if I must have it I'll usually eat a yogurt or a bit of cereal or something like that.

I cringe at the thought of trying to eat greasy fast food for breakfast, particularly early in the morning, yuck. Even Egg McMuffins or something like that don't really appeal to me. Then again, McDonald's disgusts me, but that's a story for another time.

So when I do eat traditionally heavier breakfast foods, I would rather have them later in the day. Pancakes and bacon, or French toast and bacon are good at any time of the day. So are omelets.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

Thumbs up

2015-07-22 06:15:54

Tward wrote:

As far as food goes I'm a typical American. By that I mean I am a junk food junky. I love hamburgers, chili dogs, chicken filet sandwiches, pizza, you name it I probably love it. Of course, it is all not good for me from a health perspective, but I'm of the sneaking suspicion if it is good for you it probably doesn't taste that good either. LOL.
Actually, I can and do eat fruits, and vegetables, etc too and like them well enough. However, if I have my own way I'll grab a nice cheese burger with all the works before I'll grab an apple, orange, or anything else that is probably a healthier choice.

I'm actually the same way. Bring on the burgers and pizza! big_smile

Dark wrote:

Now, with chocolate I can talk with a little authority. Most commercial chocolate is usually very low in coco, we're talking about 4-7 percent. This is a shame sinse coco itself is extremely good for you, and the  rest is padded out with lots of crap such as gelatine and extra sugar, indeed propper chocolate shouldn't! be too sweet.
Coco is a very bennificial substance, it's good for your brain, it  acts as an anti depressant, and it reduces cholesterol, however the major problem is as I said, most usual chocolate contains so little.
Even a decent milk chocolate can be 40 or 50 percent coco, though they tend to be sweeter and contain more cream, however a really good, decentquality dark chocolate should be around the 70 or 80 percent mark.

I actually agree. In fact I prefer  dark chocolate (or plain chocolate in the UK), mostly because it actually tastes better! than that sugar-loaded chocolate most people eat.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

Thumbs up

2015-07-22 13:24:42

@Blindncool, your correct, I am not a fan of lint sinse I find the grind process a bit too gritty, but green-n-black's maia gold, Liddle's chocolate especially the one with chilly, and stuff from chocolate hotel.
I don't mind sweeter things occasionally, but for pure chocolate it's got to be the propper stuff. This is why, thunderfist I don't count chocolate and honey as the same, sinse the sugar content is just vastly different. Yes, there are people who eat very high sugar snacks as energy, like mars bars etc, indeed I've done so myself particularly when I'm on my vocal studdies course, (you wouldn't believe how shattering 6-8 hours of vocal classes and rehearsals are), although by choice I'd rather have a banana or something with oats, but that isn't chocolate.

@Crashmaster, interesting stuff, a lot of those are things I haven't heard of. I do like sushi done properly, but of course in England it depends upon where you go.
As to junk food, well even then I tend to find it depends upon the shef. I'm not a fan of the majorly mass produced stuff like mcdonalds or burger king sinse I just find them to be overly sweet and not to taste of much. If I want burgers, either I will buy myself some propper %100   aberdeen angus beef ones, that I can be sure will taste of propper meet, and do them on the George, or I will go to a very good  restaurant, although most of the time if I go somewhere reasonable quality I usually fancy something other than a burger.

Pizza I like and I do tend to have every couple of weeks or so, I also have a local chinese that is particularly good, though again I'm a bit picky with these, for example I am not keen on dominoes pizza sinse everything tastes far too processed, plus they are often stingy with toppings.

With fruite I actually have a miner problem. Other than apples and bananas, I have an avertion to certain textures of food, anything like soft fruite or tomatoes just makes my stomach heve! This isn't a dislike, it's stronger than that and completely irrational  indeed we think it was due to me becoming glucose intollerant at the age of about two and literally unable to eat anything without being extremely sick. Really, if I was left on a desert island with nothing but tomatoe plants or fruite trees, I'd probably starve sinse I'd struggle to keep anything down big_smile.
This is why i tend to drhink a lot of smoothies, (which I am a huge fan of), and eat a lot of cooked vegitables.

I actually disagree that stuff that is good for you always tastes bad, it's just people's perception that basically your alternatives are either plane salad or fried food, indeed to be honest I find a lot of ultra greasy stuff doesn't appeal to me at all, though like anything else, extremely nice when done properly.

I'm going to meet up with my brother this evening and probably wander somewhere for a meal before going back to his place to watch anime. Where will be up to him, though last time we went to turtle bay, a fantastic westindian restaurant (I had some amazing fish stew), we might just end up in T.G.I fridays, where I'll probably have the usual, sinse they do really nice ribs with sweet potatoe fries, so we'll see.

@Turtlepower, I will freely admit me and the idea of diurnal rythms is extremely weerd. On most days as I said, coffeee and a smoothy and a banana is my usual breakfast, but if I've been up all night for one reason or another, or if I wake at an odd time this can vary very much, similarly if I'm going to be busy all day there's nothing like a propper breakfast.

2015-07-23 02:05:32

@Dark, I'm not that much of a fan of the mass produced stuff either. I don't really care for McDonald's because I actually think their burgers and fries tastes horrible. I have higher quality standards than that.

For example, there is a privately owned restaurant near here that sells the best burgers and fries you could ever eat. For one thing the owners of the restaurant buy all of their meats locally from local farmers, all the meat is butchered locally, so weather you order a nice big sirloin steak, some pork chops, or a hamburger the meat is going to be as fresh as humanly possible. All the buns for their sandwiches and dinner rolls are baked their in the restaurant  every morning so are fresh, and even the cheese for your burgers or the butter for their rolls is purchased from local dairy farmers as well. Meaning that the over all quality of the food is hundreds of times better than the processed garbage you are likely to get from McDonald's.

Even better yet it doesn't actually cost that much more than for a burger and fries from McDonald's but their meals are much bigger. By that I mean when the serving girls come out with your burger and fries they bring it out on a big dinner platter and it is not some rinky-dinky sandwich. The sandwich is probably a 1/3 pound sandwich, maybe 6 inches in diameter, and a good couple of inches thick. That's topped with cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickles, ketchup, and mustard. In short, a monster sandwich that will put the McDonald's Big Mac to shame. LOL.

Not only are their burgers bigger but they give you a lot of fries too. They aren't those skinny excuses that passes for fries at McDonald's. These fries are usually pretty long and are very thick. Not only do they taste better you get a huge pile of them on your plate. I think they just take a couple of potatoes, cut them into strips, and fry them like that so you end up with a couple potatoes worth of fries.

So as I said I have much higher standards than McDonald's when it comes to the all American hamburger and fries meal. Oh, I'll occasionally grab a burger and fries from Burger King, Wendy's, etc now and then but truth be told they aren't on my list of favorites because the quality just isn't there compared to what one can get from a privately owned family restaurant.

Come to that I agree cooking a burger at home is usually just as good if not better than anything you can buy out. For one thing as you pointed out you can choose the quality of meet which is a big plus when it comes to having a hamburger, and second you can grill it on the George Forman which means the hamburger isn't going to be as greasy as the big name fast food places. Add to that you can add your own toppings and you are going to end up with something superior to the McDonald's junk just by using higher quality meet, cooking it the way you like, and using your own toppings.

As for pizza as with burgers I am pretty picky how I have my pizza made. I can no longer stand most fast food pizzerias like East of Chicago, Pizza Hut, Domino's, etc because of several factors. Not only do they use a lot of processed foods they are very stingy with their toppings, their sauce, and do other things which takes away from the over all quality of the pizza. I can't say how many times I have ordered a pizza from Pizza Hut to get something that tastes like all crust with cheese on it and very little sauce and toppings. When I complained about it I have to order extra sauce and toppings which they made me pay for so I stopped getting their pizza. Domino's quality also has gone down since they started offering there $7.99 special from Monday through Thursday. Okay, I appreciate the fact it is a cheap pizza but if I order it I intend to eat it and I do not expect to get something with very little sauce, only a few toppings spread around, and gobs of cheese. To me that isn't pizza and I think it was a rip off.  So now when I go get a pizza I have found privately owned restaurants that make their pizzas from scratch are the best.

As far as your problem with soft fruits I'm sorry to hear that. I personally do love fruit, and due to my medical condition with my mouth I have to eat a lot of soft foods. I particularly eat a lot of soft fruits because it is getting to the point where I can't eat anything too hard and  can't chew a lot of solid foods. So my doctors have me on a diet of softer foods. One thing I can eat is soft fruits like peaches, pairs, tomatoes, etc. So I'm not sure where I'd be if I had your problem of upchucking any soft fruits since that makes up most of my diet these days.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2015-07-23 10:37:49

@Tom, the fruite thing is all about texture, I love smoothies as I said, and I'm quite happy with tomatoe sauce on a pizza or as ketchup, or tomatoes in a stew, even tomatoe soop (although it's not one of my favourite soops), it also affects things like colslaugh as well and I freely admit is inconvenient at times.

With burgers that place does sound good, albeit I imagine I would need to be pretty hungry if I went there, I finished up at T.G.I Fridays with my brother last night, which is a reasonable quality chain, ---- they have several different restaurants but they're not instantly mass produced stuff like Mcdonalds or burger king. they had a new burger called amusingly "the Warrior" which involved two 7 oz burgers, bacon and two different sorts of cheese plus salad which would probably be something of a monster, though I decided I wasn't exactly that! hungry, so went for some nachos followed by the ribs and sweet potatoe fries instead.

I know what you mean about pizza and about dominoes, though over here those chains like pizza hut and dominoes also have exaubitant prices, when I was in London last october and wound up going to dominoes  for sake of   anywhere else to find and because I was utterly whacked after 10 hours of vocal work, I wound up pay  £22 (which is about usd 31), for a medium pizza, a 500 mill bottle of diet coak and some wedges, heck the pizza alone would've cost £15.
The crazy thing is had I had their combo which would've come with a leater of coke and garlic bread plus an extra wedges, it'd be three pounds less, but I wasn't going to buy a bunch of food I'd not be able to eat (and people wonder why there are rising obeasity figures).

It's not just the mass produced places like Dominoes and pizza hut though that provide problems over here. Also, there are a lot of small, privately owned places that very much fall into the kebab shop pizza model, ie, very doughy, lots of cheese and very questionable meet, plus usually very grim and greasy frying mostly intended to sell to drunk people late at night big_smile.
btw, nothing wrong with kebabs if done properly, but the sorts of places I speak of wouldn't know propper meet if it walked in going moo! big_smile.

Sadly, my favourite local pizza place got taken over by new management and went down the tubes. I've recently been ordering from pappa Jon's who I've been quite pleased with in terms of their topings and the fact that things aren't processed, they actually remind me of how Pizza hut used to be in the nineties when it was always a luxury. It's a shame there isn't another really good local place, but after an incredibly! bad experience trying one out (really I wound up throwing most of it away), I don't particularly care to experiment.

2015-07-23 12:09:48

@Dark, prices for pizza are definitely expensive over in the UK. Here in the States an average pizza should not cost you more than $10 from most of the big name chains. They  are always running specials which puts a large pizza well below
$10 on any given day. Pizza Hut usually has a box special which gives you a large two topping pizza, some bread sticks, and so forth for about $10. Domino's has their $7.99 deal where you can order a large two topping pizza anytime Monday through Thursday for only $7.99. Little Caesar's always has a $5  special where you can walk out with a large one topping pizza for only $5. So if one is willing to eat the mass produced pizzas they can get it fairly cheaply. The problem is, as I have stated above, those usually come at the cost of less sauce, less toppings, and they aren't always as fresh as they should be.

As far as Papa John's goes I love their pizzas. Only problem is there isn't one near me any more. So I rarely if ever get a pizza from them. However, back in the day when I was in college I use to order from Papa John's at least twice a month as their pizzas are much better than the competition.

As for buying more food than you actually need I find a lot of US restaurants are like that. It is cheaper to buy more than to order less. I suppose some people try and eat it all, but I don't. What I do is eat what I want at the time and take the rest home for lunch the next day. In short I will take a large meal and split it into two reasonably sized meals.

For example, there is a place in Coshocton called Hardee's I frequently eat at. One of the reasons I go there is they give me a pile of food for a decent price. On the weekends they have what are called their $5 bag lunches that comes with two sandwiches, a large order of fries, an apple pie, and a drink. Although, that is more food than I can eat in one meal I just go through and split it up into two meals. One sandwich and half my fries will be eaten their at the restaurant, and the rest I'll put in a carryout bag and take home and eat it the next day for lunch. So I end up with two meals for $5 rather than one.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2015-07-23 15:16:37

@Tom, yep, prices in the us are insanely low for food, though in fairness even in Britain Dominoes and pizza hut are known to charge through the nose, the only way you can get a semi reasonable price is byusing various deals and vouchers and such, and even then you'll probably not get a pizza for less than ten pounds, (about 15 usd). That is actually one reason why I tend to not use bigger chains as much, sinse before it was under new management the good place I used to go to not only had amazing pizza, but the pizza alone would be a third the cost of somewhere like pizza hut or dominoes, never mind sides and drinks and so on.

One thing I particularly like about Pappa Johns (aside from their pizza), is they have a %35 student discount, and sinse I'm still a post graduate student I do qualify which is good, (my dam doctorate might as well get me something). this means I can get a medium pizza, one of their combo starters and a large bottle of diet coke for about 13 or 14 pounds, more if I want a dessert though I only get one of those if I'm amazingly! hungry sinse while their cookies are wonderful, they're also humungus.

I don't tend to be a fan of keeping cold left overs of pizzas and such, I always find it a bit gross, which is probably irrational but there it is.. I don't know if it's a hang over of my annoying boarding school's "you don't have to like it you just have to eat itt" model which basically meant you had to eat everything irrispective of your dislikes (and I'll say that that didn't do my fruite issue much good, I used to dread whenever fresh fruite salad came up on the menu). Or if it's just me not liking food sitting around.

It's odd, I don't mind making a big pot of stew or curry or chilly and taking a boal out then putting the rest in the fridge, but eating half a pizza or a portion of chips or the like and warming the rest up later just seems pretty gross to me.
I admit though this is both personal and fairly irrational, my brother is quite happy about having cold pizza the next day indeed if there is a two for one deal or the like he'll always use it and use the rest later.

2015-07-28 03:41:49

Well pizza hut stuff is full of fat.
The wood fired designer pizzas you can get at most italian and other places are quite good or can be.
I once had a curry chicken pizza.
ok it was so messy half of its top went on my shirt and pants but it was quite nice.
The best pizza I have had is a salmon, saulted lemon, caper and olive pizza with pepperoni and other veges.
Its at a place close to me and well its nice.
Ofcause it does cost a lot and you need 2 people to eat it because its so large.
Usually we have 1 pizza with a side of squid, chips and salad and devide it up between 3 or 4 of us maybe we get 2 pizzas, and its enough.
Ofcause it costs a bit.
@tward, on the sandwitch front there is a place in the local art gallery me and my dad lunch at once a year.
Its top notch food and tourists go to it.
The price for coffees, cake and a meal is around 40-60 bucks so we only do it once a year.
UUsually at the start or end of summer.
We take the fairy to town and then walk round.
There are other places in that ariea including a bridge over to another ariea with a lot of boats which has potential for good eating though we havn't ventured out that far.
From the place we catch the fairy there is a caffee which sells home baking and other things, pies  and cakes with interesting fillings.
camonbare and cramberry spinich pies.
curry lamb and chicken pies and jam tarts as big as waggon wheels well double the sizes if you have had waggon wheels before which I have had.
for 3 bucks.
There is also a place where they sell sea food chouder with a long scuer with seafood scalops and prorns on it and various other things.
We don't go there often because like a few other beaches it can get really windy.
The only time we bother with that place is in summer because in winter its a total mess.
Though sometimes we do that if we don't ant the city and its hustle.

Thumbs up

2015-07-28 17:04:17

@Dark, your explanation does make sense. Although, I can't help but find it a bit irrational from my point of view. I certainly don't mind warming up left over pizza and have even eaten it cold on occasion. Obviously, since I don't find it gross I don't mind buying more pizza than I need for a single meal so I can pop half in the fridge for the next day. That way I'll have some for lunch or dinner. I've even eaten left over pizza for breakfast when the mood strikes. big_smile
That said, I know plenty of people who do not like left over pizza or whatever because it doesn't taste as good warmed up. That is a legitimate complaint. I'll admit a lot of things like pizza just doesn't taste as good reheated in the microwave, and if I were a more picky eater I'd probably complain too. However, I am not usually very picky and am okay with the way pizza tastes reheated, cold, etc so eat it without complaint.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2015-07-28 18:51:15

Hi,

I sometimes have my rice cold. My Father can also cook good tandir kebab. Again, inquire in a Turkish restaurant. Do any of you like lazanya? I personally do. Especially when it has the cheese on top.

Thumbs up

2015-07-29 17:19:24

Thunderfist799, if you mean lasagna, spelled l a s a g n a,  I love it. I generally love Italian dishes, but good lasagna is definitely one of my favorites. I always have loved the way my mom makes it, but as we live far  a part I never get to eat her lasagna any more. So I have to settle for buying a frozen lasagna or order it from a restaurant.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2015-07-29 20:24:51

A few years ago, my parents and I went to a large and extremely fine quality hotel, I was doing a major singing engagement for a charity at a sculpture auction. The food was amazingly good, although I personally didn't notice much owing to how nurvous I was, however they had the most amazing lasagna.
Sinse then, my mum has experimented with lasagna recipes and has come up with one which is amazing, involving worcester sauce, paprica and two sorts of cheese, she even adapted a vegitarian version with lentles and beans instead of minced beef, which was equally awesome!
So, I'm very picky about  lasagna. I know places that do good ones, but it's rare, and even though Marks and Spensors does pretty reasonable microwave pastsa (I like their tuscan penne), I  find their lasagna very bland indeed and don't bother with it, much less other supermarkets. I think lasagna is one of these things that many people cook, but not many people cook right big_smile.

I've had cold pizza on buffets and things occasionally, but not liking to keep takeaway pizza around and either reheat it or have it cold is just sort of a preference thing with me, and as I said is likely pretty irrational.
@Crashmaster, no idea on the  convertion from newzeeland dollars to pounds, so no idea how much 40-60 Newzeeland dollars is.  Personally if I go out for a meal,  especially with friends I always treat it as a special occasion and within reason don't mind spending on it, indeed much as my mum is a great cook, it's difficult to take her anywhere sinse she still believes prices for food are what they should be twenty years ago so will always go to places that are cheaper rather than average to good quality places with what are these days average prices.
Indeed we're just about to head off to a buffet restaurant who have a 15 pound all you can eat an bits of everything, from chinese to pizza to roast dinner. Not actually gross the way some of those sorts of buffet places are, but my brother described it very much as "student food", ie, good for a random gnosh but not really a dress up and sit down to propper restaurant meal of the sort I'd usually expect if actually going out for dinner rather than just grabbing lunch or fast food or what not.

Personally as I said, I don't mind spending if I'm out for a really propper restaurant meal, especially if I'm there with my brother or a friend, and for a three course meal wouldn't mind going up to about £40 or so, (provided it is a good one).

@Thunderfist, I'll need to find a tirkish restaurant I think. I've always been suspicious of kebabs, mostly because as I said there is a  class of very cheap kebab places that also do pizza and chips an tend to market universally almost to very drunk people with terrible, terrible quality! my parents used to have an amazingly nice kebab place that used actual meat but sadly changed ownership. So, I'd like to get the thing done propperly by a good Tirkish chef sinse it's something that is always messed up, a little like getting a propper Italian to cook you pizza or pasta in the traditional way, which I've also tried a couple of times and was amazing!