2015-07-04 04:27:28

I have a blog post somebody showed me that you all might like. It's about the jfw license agreement which you are instantly bound to, as soon as you click a single download link on the software.
Enjoy!
http://chrishofstader.com/what-did-i-just-agree-to/

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2015-07-04 11:37:59

I have to laugh, you have a valid argument against Freedom Scientific and you completely discredit it and yourself by resorting to childish name calling.

Thumbs up

2015-07-04 14:01:01

Hello,
Not really, it's an opinion based blog, and I think the guy has a very valid point. The fact that just by downloading the software you are already agreeing tthe license agreement is just ridiculous, and that for a developer to test with Jaws they have to buy it. I think I've just lost a lot of respect for freedom scientific. Oh, and I bet they won't be like mainstream companies and provide review codes to people who ask either. This is just, in my opinion, very wrong to say the least.

Thumbs up

2015-07-04 14:41:16

Yup; it is clear that freedomscientific is willing to put accessibility of software and sites in general a very far distant second to profit. I'm just thankful that we have NVDA, and eagerly await the day where I can ditch jaws for good.

Thumbs up

2015-07-04 14:42:43

@2 Um... a lot of us call them Greedom Science Fiction, trust me, you'll hear that name again. secondly, I as well lost any and all respect for them, not that there was much left after their long period of non-innovation and shovelling the same old muck down our throats. I have been an NVDA user since around 2009 and happier for it. Am I going to receive letters in the mail, oh wait, they don't even have my address, Do I need to write a disclaimer on this post, I'm so scared I'll be sued... Lol, they can try, I'm broke, they'll get 0.

The above mensioned statements are my opinion alone and are not to be taken as factual. Any intent anyone perceives to represent my intent to slander Freedom Scientific as an entity or any one individual employed by the entity is thereby nullified. No defamation was intended either.

There, I covered my ass like a good American.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2015-07-04 15:40:22

Lol and if they so much as try to sue anyone here it will be frivolous as it always is. Every point made in that article is very valid and, even more so the statement that you are hereby agreeing to the license even after so much as downloading! the executable. But oh wait, the license agreement ain't on their site, and even if they want it to be there the moment you download it, then they should put it there before the download windows appears! It's not that hard, Jason SW did it with all his xl studios games, with a checkbox stating I have read and agree to the... bla bla bla, you get the idea. Now comes the time to start notifying all mainstream devs about nvda so they won't get frightened by jaws, and rightfully so. They don't need to be frightened anymore though, cuzz their's nvda! And if ya don't like nvda, ya don't like window eyes, there's yet another solution just a download away, system access to go! www.satogo.com click the begin link, and your executable is right there! Just as long as you have internet exploder running before running satogo.exe, you're good! You can even exit internet explorer once system access to go is initialized and you'll be totally fine! It's really great for a free version of a paid screen reader, which, I have to say, system access all be it a paid screen reader, is the second most reasonably priced screen reader next to nvda out there, which is more than can be said of the popular screen readers. I have a feeling the reason they charge for system access is that they kinda have to, because they have all these great synthesizer options, like ivona, realspeak, ya know. Pretty sure they gotta pay royalties or at least have proof that they're selling a product that includes those synths. Don't have the 300 something dollars for it at the time? No worries, you can get it as part of your samnet mobile subscription! And then the samnet mobile network is great too. So anyway, system access rant complete. Lol. Anyway, either that or nvda are great solutions for devs and users alike.

Thumbs up

2015-07-04 16:17:51

Well, I had to go download the user docs just to find it on there site. LOL. Come on now, I have to go download the help files before I get to see the agreement? You just got to love the following.

IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS EULA, DO NOT USE, INSTALL OR DOWNLOAD THE SOFTWARE.

Has anyone notiest that Jaws fifteen put that in all caps when I copied from the help file? LOL. The whole agreement follows so that no one has to agree to it to read it nor do they have to doudt what we are talking about, as if they would. Now let's feed JAWs to the sharks shall we? Also, CW isn't my real name. LOL.

Freedom Scientific End-User License Agreement – JAWS®
IMPORTANT! BE SURE TO CAREFULLY READ AND UNDERSTAND ALL OF THE RIGHTS, OBLIGATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS SET FORTH IN THIS FREEDOM SCIENTIFIC END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT (“AGREEMENT” OR “EULA”). YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO USE THE JAWS SOFTWARE PROGRAM, UPDATES AND OTHER MATERIALS ACCOMPANYING OR ASSOCIATED WITH THE PROGRAM, UNLESS AND UNTIL YOU ACCEPT THE TERMS OF THIS EULA.
BY AGREEING TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, USING, INSTALLING OR DOWNLOADING THE SOFTWARE, YOU SIGNIFY YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF AND INTENT TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS EULA. THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE FREEDOM SCIENTIFIC SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT ("LICENSE AGREEMENT") EXPLAIN THE LEGAL RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN FREEDOM SCIENTIFIC AND THE INDIVIDUAL AND ORGANIZATIONAL PURCHASERS (DEFINED AS "ORGANIZATIONAL LICENSEES" BELOW) OF FREEDOM SCIENTIFIC SOFTWARE. BY USING THE SOFTWARE, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND THIS AGREEMENT, AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY ALL OF ITS TERMS AND CONDITIONS. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS EULA, DO NOT USE, INSTALL OR DOWNLOAD THE SOFTWARE.
This Agreement is entered into between Freedom Scientific, Inc. a Delaware Corporation, with an address at 11800 31st Court North, St. Petersburg, FL 33716 ("Freedom Scientific" or "Licensor") and You (referred to as "You" or "Licensee" and shall be effective as of the date You accept the terms of this Agreement by any of the means noted above.
1. DEFINITIONS
1.1 "Documentation"
means the user guide, help information, content and/or other documentation and materials accompanying and associated with the Software, including associated media, printed materials and any “online” or electronic documentation provided by Freedom Scientific for use with the Software.
1.2 "Organizational License"
means any institutional, organizational or enterprise license, including without limit, the Freedom Scientific Software License Agreement, granted by Freedom Scientific to an Organizational Licensee for use of the Program with the intended use by the employees or contractors of the Organization as End-Users.  Organizational Licensees agree through these Organizational Licenses to be responsible and liable for any and all use by the individual End Users.
1.3 "Organizational Licensee"
means any company, organization or governmental institution that receives an Organizational License to the Program from Freedom Scientific, subject to each individual End User agreeing to a EULA governing their use of the Program.
1.4 "Software"
means any Freedom Scientific computer program (in object code) provided to and downloaded, installed or accessed by End User pursuant to this Agreement.
1.5 "Update"
means, if applicable, any patch, update or new version of the Software for the Program delivered to an End User pursuant to this EULA or an Organizational License.
1.6 "Program"
means, collectively, the Software, Updates, and all related Documentation.
1.7 "End User"
means "You" as either an individual Licensee, if You are licensing the Program directly, or as an employee or contractor who is authorized by an Organizational Licensee to use the Program.  References to “You” or End User” refer to You as the licensee and user of the Program pursuant to your applicable Licenses.
2. LICENSE TO THE PROGRAM
2.1 General Licensing Provisions for the Program.
Freedom Scientific provides You with the Program You have downloaded, received in a package with this Agreement or received by other authorized means for Your use in accordance with the terms and conditions of Licenses granted to You and any Organizational License. The terms applicable to End Users in the Organizational License are incorporated by reference into this Agreement. Freedom Scientific makes the Program available in different Editions and Licenses described more fully in this Section 2. The general terms and conditions of the License apply to all Editions and Licenses, unless limited or specifically noted in this Section 2.
2.2 License Grant.
Subject to the terms and conditions in this Agreement, and the specific License Rights and Limitations in Section 2.3 to 2.5 that apply to your Edition and Mode, Freedom Scientific grants to You a limited, nonexclusive, nontransferable, nonsublicensable license to use the Program as an End User for the applicable Term and in the identified business, if any.
2.3 Additional License Rights and Limitations for Specific Editions.
All terms from Freedom Scientific’s website that further describe the functionality and any further limitations or approved uses of the Specific Edition are incorporated by reference into this Agreement. Information about Your specific edition can be found in the About box under the Help section of the Software Freedom Scientific further defines and limits the License granted in Section 2.1 for Your Specific Editions and Modes as follows:
2.3.1 Standard Home Edition Licenses.
The Standard Home Edition License is limited to use by a single End User only and is limited to Your personal and non-commercial use. The Term of the Standard Home Edition is _______.
2.3.2 Professional Licenses.
The Professional License is for use by a single End User or multiple End Users as defined under the applicable License. Your use under the Professional License is limited to use for the commercial purposes of the business or Organizational Licensee that licensed the Program. The Term of the Professional Edition runs for the length of the corresponding Organizational License, except as indicated for the specific End User below.
2.3.3 Professional Multi-User Licenses.
Under the Professional Multi-User License, the license can be used under two options:
•    (a) Professional Multi-User Network License. The License is for use on the Server of the Organizational Licensee and for concurrent use only by the licensed number of End Users. The Program can only be used and deployed only on the identified Server of the Organizational Licensee. Your rights as an individual End User under this Professional Multi-User Network License immediately terminate when Your employment or contract with the Organizational Licensee ends or the License is otherwise terminated.
•    (b) Professional Non-Network Multi-User Licenses. Licenses for individual End Users under the Professional Non-Network Multi-User License are provided through individual, stand-alone keys to be input into an individual Computer. Your use under this Professional Non-Network Multi-User License is limited to the one concurrent user and only for long as You remain employed or under contract with the Organizational Licensee or until your License is otherwise terminated.
2.4 Term and Modes of Licenses for the Program.
The Program is provided for use under the various Licenses with different durations for the Term and modes as follows:
2.4.1 JAWS Limited Time License (Professional Edition Only).
The JAWS Limited Time License is available only for the Professional Edition and is effective for a Term of ninety (90) days from the Effective Date. You may use the JAWS Limited Time Professional License for use testing or for limited duration use. You may use this License if You would like to test the Program or use the Program for a limited time period without having to purchase a full Professional License.
2.4.2 JAWS 40-Minute Mode.
The JAWS 40 Minute mode is provided as a limited time duration license mode of the Program, which can be used to get started during the installation process of the Program or for a limited demonstration of how the Program works. The Program in JAWS 40 Minute Mode has a limited term of use of a forty (40) minute duration. Every Program that does not have a license available or an associated key, will operate in this JAWS 40 Minute Mode. The JAWS 40 Minute Mode is not intended for commercial use or extended product testing, other than use while waiting for an authorized license or key to arrive or be installed. The JAWS 40 MINUTE MODE also provides emergency access to the Computer for a blind user when licenses or keys are not present or associated with a Computer. If the Program reverts to JAWS 40 Minute Mode, an active license (or key) is required to return the Program to full capability.
2.5 Other License Restrictions.
2.5.1 Rights Reserved.
All rights to the Program not expressly granted to You in this Agreement are reserved by Freedom Scientific. All trademarks included in the Program or used with the Program, including without limit, JAWS®, are property of Freedom Scientific, Inc. Any use of such marks shall inure to the benefit of Freedom Scientific.
2.5.2 Individual End-User Licenses.
For Licenses intended for individual End Users (including Home Edition and Professional Individual Use Licenses), Your use is limited to use on one computer, workstation, terminal or device ("Computer") at a time. While a single licensed copy of the Software may be loaded or installed on more than one Computer, the Software is licensed and limited for a licensed copy to be used on only one Computer at a time and not concurrently on more than one Computer or by more than one user at a time. The License for Individual End-User License is for Your individual personal and non-commercial use (with a Home Edition License) or for internal business use in your company (with a Professional License). The Software may not be shared, installed or used concurrently on different Computers. To this extent the Program is used for internal business purposes, only one End User is authorized to use a Licensed copy of the Software at a time.
2.5.3 Multi-User Licenses.
For Multi-User Licenses, You may use the Program with the Software stored or installed on a network or storage device, such as a network server, used to run the Software on the Organizational Licensee’s other Computers over an internal network. Organizational Licensee must, however, acquire and dedicate a number of Licenses (and keys where required) that will allow that number of concurrent users of the Software.
2.6 License and Not Sale.
The Program is being provided by a non-exclusive license and not as a sale of the Program. As a licensed End User, You should understand that You do not own the Program, including the instructional materials that accompany the Program. You are only licensed to use the Program and instructional materials for the Term of the applicable License. You do not own the copy of the Program contained in the media or format in which You receive or store the program. Also, by virtue of the License, You do not obtain or possess any ownership in the Program or any related copyright or other intellectual property rights in the Program.
2.7 Payment of License Fees.
Your use is subject to payment of any License Fee or  renewal Fee for any subsequent Term, or Organizational License’s payment of a License fee or renewal Fee for an Organizational License under which You are an End User. Licensor may change any fee for a renewal Term it its sole discretion. To maintain Your License, You (or your Organizational Licensee) must timely pay any renewal or License Fee. Failure to pay any such Fee shall be grounds for termination of the License by Freedom Scientific without any notice required. You agree that failure to timely pay the License Fee will result in termination of the License.
2.8 Use of the Program.
When You become a licensed End User, You assume sole responsibility for determining the appropriateness of the Program for achieving your intended results. You further assume sole responsibility and all risk for the installation, use, and data and results obtained from the Program. You assume complete responsibility for the selection, installation, use, and placement of hardware with which You use the Program. Freedom Scientific does not warrant that the Program is suitable for Your particular purpose or use.
3. DEMONSTRATION AND EVALUATION LICENSE ONLY. NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE.
3.1 Programs with an Evaluation License.
Programs offered as an Evaluation Purposes Only License including software licenses which require either System Reboot after a certain period of time or expire after a certain time period (such as the Jaws 40 Minute Mode version) are to be used for evaluation prior to purchase only. Any commercial use of Evaluation License Software is prohibited. Under no circumstances shall You, the End-User, be permitted, allowed or authorized to commercially exploit the Program, or any portion thereof. Neither You, nor anyone at your direction or any third party, shall take the sell, rent, lend, lease, commercially exploit or use the Software, or any portion, for any commercial purpose. Demonstration or Evaluation Licenses are not licensed for use for purposes of development and testing of JAWS scripts, applications, HTML coding, or other Web Based code.
4. CHOOSING NOT TO ACCEPT THE LICENSE AGREEMENT
If You choose to not accept the terms of this Agreement, then You must promptly return the Program if you received a packaged products, or remove the Program, including the Software, and all related Materials from your Computer, device or network if you received the Program as an electronic download. For copies of the Program obtained in a physical package, if You do not accept the Program, the following items must be returned to Freedom Scientific: the Software, all Materials that may have been included with the Freedom Scientific software, and the receipt You received when You purchased the software. We will refund to You the amount of the money You paid for the Software, minus shipping/handling fees if You meet the above conditions.
5. THE PROGRAM
5.1 Restrictions on Use of the Program.
You may not use the Program for any purpose other than those expressly set forth in this Agreement. You may not copy, transfer, decompile, disassemble, or reverse engineer the program or alter, duplicate, modify, rent, lease, loan, sublicense, reproduce, create derivative works from, distribute or provide others with the Program, in whole or part. You also may not allow the Program to be copied or transferred, in part or in whole, and except as specifically indicated within this agreement, be transmitted or communicated over a network. You may not operate or provide the Program as a service bureau. In the event You copy, transfer, decompile, disassemble, or reverse engineer the Program or create a derivative work for another person in any form, except as is specifically authorized, then Your License to use the program shall be automatically terminated.
In the case of an Organizational Licensee who has purchased a Site, District, or Enterprise License, the Licensee may install the Program for uses by the number of concurrent users as defined in the Site, District, or Enterprise License Agreement for the applicable Edition and License. The Licensee may install a Site, District, or Enterprise License on a Local Area Network (LAN) server, however, the concurrent number of users of the software cannot exceed the number concurrent users as defined in the Site, District or Enterprise License Agreement. The Licensee may copy the program for backup purposes to preserve the program. These copies and the original Program may be stored in the possession of another person, so long as the storage does not result in the program being used in violation of the terms set forth above in this section. Your Use as an End User must be consistent with these installation and use requirements
5.3 Ownership of Intellectual Property.
Freedom Scientific owns all right, title, and ownership of the copyrights, and other intellectual property rights in and to the Program. The Program is protected by U.S. and international copyright laws and treaties. Except as may be expressly stated herein, this Agreement does not grant to You any rights to the Software or accompanying documentation or any rights to use the documentation apart from the Software. Whenever the Program or instructional materials are reproduced, then the copyright notice must also be reproduced and displayed in its original form.
6. TERM AND TERMINATION
6.1 Term.
The Agreement shall be effective from the Effective Date and extend for the Term of the applicable License for the Edition or Mode or until otherwise terminated, and this Agreement shall immediately terminate concurrently with the termination of any Organizational License under which the License of this EULA is granted.
6.2 Renewal.
The License under this Agreement will automatically terminate at the end of the initial Term (and any subsequent term), unless renewed pursuant to the then-current renewal requirements posed on the Freedom Scientific Website, including payment of all Fees applicable to any renewal period. For limited duration Licenses, to keep your License in force, you must timely pay the renewal Fee, and failure to pay any required renewal fee, or any other required Fee, shall be grounds for termination of the License by Freedom Scientific without notice. For the Jaws Limited Time License (90-Day License), upon the expiration of the ninety (90) day period, the Program will revert to the 40 Minute Mode.
6.3 Termination by End-User.
You may terminate the License at any time by removing or destroying all copies of the Program and all copies of related Materials and instructions, regardless of the form from Your Computer or device.
6.4 Termination by Cause.
Your License to the Program and This EULA will automatically terminate under any of the following:
If You breach or fail to comply with any of the terms of This EULA,
if You remove from your Computer(s) and destroy all copies of the Program in your possession or that You control or
if your License Term ends, terminates or lapses including for failure to pay any renewal Fee or pay any other applicable Fee;
This license is immediately terminated in the event the Licensee fails to comply with any term or condition of this agreement, whether or not Freedom Scientific has knowledge of the failure to comply.
Upon termination of this Agreement, You are required to immediately cease use of the Program and destroy, delete or remove all copies of the Software from your Computer(s). You agree to destroy, delete and remove all copies of the Program together with all related Materials instructions, regardless of form, at such time this agreement is terminated.
7. LIMITED WARRANTY
7.1 LIMITED WARRANTY.
FREEDOM SCIENTIFIC HEREBY MAKES THE FOLLOWING LIMITED WARRANTY THAT THE MEDIA ON WHICH THE PROGRAM IS FURNISHED OR ELECTRONIC COPY OF THE SOFTWARE SHALL TO BE FREE FROM DEFECTS IN MATERIALS AND WORKMANSHIP, WHEN IN NORMAL USE, FOR A PERIOD OF NINETY (90) DAYS FROM THE DATE OF DELIVERY OR DOWNLOAD AS EVIDENCED BY A COPY OF YOUR RECEIPT. IN THE EVENT THAT THE COPY OF THE SOFTWARE IS CORRUPTED AFTER DOWNLOAD, YOU MAY DOWNLOAD A REPLACEMENT COPY OF THE SOFTWARE. THE LIMITED WARRANTY WILL BE HONORED BY FREEDOM SCIENTIFIC PROVIDED THAT THE MEDIA IS PROPERLY STORED IN AN AREA FREE OF MAGNETS AND/OR MAGNETIC FIELDS AND PROVIDED THAT DEFECTS IN THE MATERIALS AND WORKMANSHIP OF THE MEDIA OR ELECTRONIC COPY DO NOT RESULT FROM AN ACT OF GOD OR OTHER CAUSE BEYOND THE CONTROL OF FREEDOM SCIENTIFIC OR THE MEDIA MANUFACTURER. LICENSOR MAKES NO OTHER REPRESENTATION AND WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AS TO THE SOFTWARE OR RESULTS OF USE THEREOF.
AS-IS AND DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES. EXCEPT FOR THE EXPRESS LIMITED WARRANTY IN THE SECTION 7.1 AND TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT ALLOWABLE BY LAW, FREEDOM SCIENTIFIC PROVIDES THE PROGRAM TO YOU AS LICENSEE "AS IS" AND WITH ALL FAULTS, MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES RELATED TO THE SOFTWARE, AND PROVIDES THE PROGRAM WITHOUT ANY OTHER WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. FREEDOM SCIENTIFIC DOES NOT WARRANT, AND YOU HEREBY WAIVE ANY WARRANTY, THAT USE OF OR ACCESS TO THE SOFTWARE BY END USER WILL BE ERROR FREE. FREEDOM SCIENTIFIC DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE FUNCTIONS CONTAINED IN THE PROGRAM WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS.
LICENSOR MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES (AND EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES) WITH RESPECT TO ANY HARDWARE, SOFTWARE, DATA OR INFORMATION NOT SUPPLIED BY FREEDOM SCIENTIFIC, ANY INFORMATION, DATA, FORMULAS OR ALGORITHMS USED, ACCESSED BY OR INCORPORATED INTO THE SOFTWARE, OR ABOUT ANY DEFECTS RELATED TO DOWNLOAD OR INTERNET CONNECTIVITY PROBLEMS DURING DOWNLOAD OF THE SOFTWARE.
YOU AS END USER HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT USE OF THE SOFTWARE SHALL BE AT YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE RISK AND SUBJECT TO ALL APPLICABLE RULES, REGULATIONS AND APPLICABLE LAWS. YOU HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE SOFTWARE MAY CONTAIN ERRORS, INACCURACIES AND OMISSIONS. YOU ASSUME ANY AND ALL RISKS AS TO THE RESULTS AND PERFORMANCE OF THE SOFTWARE, INCLUDING ANY RISK, DAMAGE, LOSS OR HARM INCURRED BY YOU ASSOCIATED WITH YOUR USE OR DOWNLOADING THE SOFTWARE.
AS THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES ARE NOT PERMITTED BY SOME STATES OR JURISDICTIONS, THE ABOVE EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IN THAT CASE, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES ARE LIMITED IN DURATION TO NINETY (90) DAYS FROM THE EARLIER DATE OF DOWNLOAD OR ACTIVATION OF THE LICENSE.
8. LIMITATION OF REMEDIES
FREEDOM SCIENTIFIC'S ENTIRE LIABILITY AND THE LICENSEE'S EXCLUSIVE REMEDY UNDER THE LIMITED WARRANTY DURING THE WARRANTY PERIOD SHALL BE THAT FREEDOM SCIENTIFIC, AT ITS SOLE OPTION, WILL EITHER REPAIR OR REPLACE ANY MEDIA OR ELECTRONIC COPY NOT MEETING FREEDOM SCIENTIFIC'S LIMITED WARRANTY OR ALLOW FOR FURTHER DOWNLOAD OR UPGRADES OF THE SOFTWARE OF THE PROGRAM.
8.2 LIMITATION OF DAMAGES.
TO THE FULLEST AND MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER OR NOT ANY REMEDY SET FORTH HEREIN FAILS IN ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE, IN NO EVENT WILL FREEDOM SCIENTIFIC BE LIABLE FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE OR OTHER DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF BUSINESS PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF BUSINESS INFORMATION, OR ANY OTHER PECUNIARY LOSS), ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY RELATED TO THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SOFTWARE OR PROGRAM, ANY DATA, INFORMATION, RESULTS PROVIDED BY OR THROUGH THE SOFTWARE OR PROVISION OR FAILURE TO PROVIDE SUPPORT SERVICES, AND WHETHER BASED ON CONTRACT, TORT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF FREEDOM SCIENTIFIC HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. THE ENTIRE LIABILITY OF LICENSOR FOR ANY DAMAGES UNDER ANY PROVISION OF THIS EULA SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ACTUAL FEES PAID TO LICENSOR BY END USER OR ON BEHALF OF END USER FOR THIS SINGLE LICENSE.
9. REPLACEMENT, MODIFICATION AND/OR UPGRADES.
Freedom Scientific may, from time to time, and for a fee, replace, modify or upgrade the Software or provide new release versions of the Software. If and when You accept any such replacement, modified or new version of the Software or any upgrade to the Software (“Additional Software”), the Additional Software will be considered part of the Software and your use of the Additional Software will be subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement (or any Agreement that supersedes this Agreement which governs the use of such Additional Software). If You do not agree to be bound by such superseding Agreement, You may not use the Additional Software, and in the event that You are currently using or have used any Additional Software without agreeing to any superseding agreement, You must cease such use and remove such Additional Software from your Computer and all Licenses will be considered terminated. Freedom Scientific reserves the right to discontinue support for all versions of the Software other than the then-current released version or updated Software. To be eligible to use any Software identified as an upgrade or new version of the Software, you  must be first licensed and current in your License for the Software eligible for the Upgrade.
10. INDEMNIFICATION.
User agrees to indemnify and hold Freedom Scientific, its officers, directors, employees, affiliates, subsidiaries, successors, assigns, directors, officers, agents, service providers, suppliers, employees, and representatives harmless from any and all claims, losses, demands, fines, penalties, costs, and expenses including reasonable attorney fees and court costs, made by any third party due to or arising out of, or Your violation of any rights of another made by or on behalf of End User or any third party in connection with or arising out of your download, access, and/or use of the Program, including any content or services provided therein, any information transmitted during Your use of the Program, Your violation of any term or condition of this Agreement or the Organizational License, Your breach of any of the representations and warranties herein, and your violation of applicable laws or any rights of another person or entity.
11. OTHER PROVISIONS
11.1 Restrictions on Assignment and Transfer.
You may not sublicense, assign, or transfer this License or Agreement to another party. Any attempt to sublicense, assign or transfer any of the rights, duties or obligations under this agreement shall be null and void and without any legal effect.
11.2 Consent to Use of Information.
By using the Program, You explicitly consent to use by Freedom Scientific of any personally identifiable information about You collected by Freedom Scientific or that You provide to Freedom Scientific, in accordance with the Freedom Scientific Privacy Policy available at: http://www.freedomscientific.com/About/ … vacyPolicy
This product uses the ETI-Eloquence text-to-speech system that contains material copyrighted by Nuance, Inc.
11.4 Governing Law, Jurisdiction and Venue.
This Agreement shall be governed interpreted, construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of the State of Florida. The parties agree that the sole and exclusive venue and jurisdiction for filing and maintaining any lawsuit or other action or proceeding related to this Agreement shall be in the state or federal courts sitting in Pinellas County, Florida. Each party, by executing this Agreement, consents and submits itself to the personal jurisdiction of such court. The parties agree that no UCITA or similar provision from the states of Washington, Maryland and any other shall apply to this Agreement.
11.5 Export Restrictions.
You may not export, ship, transmit or re-export the Program in violation of any applicable law or regulation, including but not limited to, Export Administration Regulations issued by the U.S. Department of Commerce. Unless in compliance with applicable law and specifically authorized in writing by Freedom Scientific, You shall not export the Program under any circumstances whatsoever. In any case, You will indemnify and hold Freedom Scientific harmless from any and all claims, losses, liabilities, damages, fines, penalties, costs and expenses (including reasonable attorney’s fees) arising from, or relating to, any breach by You of Your obligations under this section.
11.6 Waiver.
No failure or delay by either party in exercising any right, power or privilege hereunder shall operate as a waiver thereof, nor shall any single or partial exercise thereof preclude any other or further exercise thereof or the exercise of any other right, power or privilege hereunder.
11.7 Severability.
In the event that any one or more of the provisions of this Agreement are held to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, the enforceability of the remaining provisions shall be unimpaired and enforced to the full extent permitted by law.
11.8 Injunctive Relief.
User agrees that in the event of a breach by You of any provision of this Agreement, Freedom Scientific shall be entitled to seek and obtain injunctive or other equitable relief, or both, in each case without the requirement to post any bond or other form of security, and without such act constituting an election of remedies or disentitling Freedom Scientific to each and every remedy available at law or in equity for a breach of this Agreement by You.
11.9 Entire Agreement.
Except to the extent governed by an Organizational License, this Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between You and Freedom Scientific related to the Program and supersedes all prior or contemporaneous agreements, proposals, negotiations, representations and communications between You and Freedom Scientific related to the Program. You acknowledge that You have not been induced to enter into this Agreement by any representations or promises not specifically stated herein.
If You have questions concerning this agreement, contact Freedom Scientific for clarification at 11800 31st Court North, St. Petersburg, FL 33716, or phone (727) 803-8000.

Now if you some how got through all that, I am sorry. Why does it have to be so long. Then again, I guess they have to cover themselves completely...

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

Thumbs up

2015-07-04 16:44:30

With all the name calling, wishing ill will on the people that work at Freedom scientific, and other rather childish behavior over something that will have little if any affect on you, I wonder why you complain about the way people treat you. If you are going to act like children, you should be treated like children.

Thumbs up

2015-07-04 17:10:45

no one said anything about wishing any of them ill will, we just don't like the way they're choosing to do business. does the name really offend you that you have to call us children, i mean come on... Just ignore the topic if you don't like what's going on in it.

End racism
End division
Become united

2015-07-04 17:52:55 (edited by Exodus 2015-07-04 17:53:30)

why can't people criticize them with out resorting to really stupid name calling? It's hard to take any criticism seriously when it's filled with childish terms like freedom science fiction, greedom scientific and flaws. Name calling like that make the 7 year-olds currently having a fight outside my house sound more mature.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

Thumbs up +1

2015-07-04 18:56:35

Jean, you yourself are acting like a child, by not allowing us to state what is clearly factual. Freedom scientific's intentions are clearly to enforce money out of people to be able to use a screen reader for there computer. But, here's what they don't realize. Microsoft narrator is becoming more accessible by every windows version. I have no doubt that narrator may leave even NVDA in the dust. But not this year, of course. Jean, what you don't seem to understand is, we're not wishing anyone them il, just the company. And do you know why? Simple. Because, they're stating plainly in the ULA that what they're trying to do is get the most profit as possible, and you're falling for it. There entire company is a scam in order to get more than $30000 a year at peoples expense. Now here's a message towards freedom scientific. I could buy a $600 laptop computer and pay another $1000 for a copy of jaws 16. But another way I could do it is, I could easily buy a mac Minny for $600, and it already comes with a completely functional screen reader, voice over. By th eway guys, I have no idea where I'm going with this.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2015-07-04 19:01:24

I've been monitoring this topic in case a moderation intervention is needed.

I will remind people that the blog with the article referencing the issues with the jfw ula was not written by Coltonhill01, but is a blog from a different site that Coltonhill is directing people to.

Therefore, the issues of the jfw ula, and the   language that certain people use about Jfw or Freedom Scientific are two very different matters from two different sources and should not be thought of as related, particularly sinse the blog article laying out the author's concerns is clearly not intended to be insulting.

So, might I suggest people separate out the issues here so that it doesn't turn into a "anyone who cryticises freedom Scientific is behaviing like a child" debate, sinse that way doth lie flame wars.

Please remember to keep discussions civil and stay out of personal attacks.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-07-04 19:21:22

I agree that the name calling aspect is rather childish, but I consider, (and that has only increased since I discovered NVDA, voice over, System Access and narrator), Freedom Scientific to be unfair with the way they price jaws. I'm aware that the company in question has produced other products, both hardware and software, so I don't really see the point in putting such a high price on Jaws, especially considering the fact that it can be a real pain to install.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-07-04 19:23:52

@11 agreed, @12 don't worry, I've been practicing restraint, trust me, if I let loose what I really wanted to say in some of these topics, I'd be gone in no time... tongue

End racism
End division
Become united

2015-07-05 00:01:10 (edited by Exodus 2015-07-05 00:06:06)

I wasn't having a go at anyone earlier... just for the record.

post 11:
I remember when I got my first mac back in 2008 I pretty much said the same thing to everyone I knew... Just get a mac you will save money.

At the time I just got laughed at, now they all have iPhones, macs or run NVDA under windows. So people are realizing... slowly but surely

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

Thumbs up

2015-07-05 02:42:51 (edited by Figment 2015-07-05 03:18:01)

ironcross32 wrote:

no one said anything about wishing any of them ill will, we just don't like the way they're choosing to do business. does the name really offend you that you have to call us children, i mean come on... Just ignore the topic if you don't like what's going on in it.

Maybe you yourself haven't done it but several people here as well as the blogger in the first post have wished that they go out of business. What about all the people that have jobs there, any thoughts for them? Freedom Scientific also hires blind and visually impaired people when no one else will, what about them? I wonder if the people here and that blogger would be willing to help them while they try to find a new job, they'll need deep pockets, it's common knowledge those blind and visually impaired people could and probably will take a lot of time to find a new job, assuming they actually do find one.

You tell me to ignore these threads if I don't like them, by the same token, why don't you take your own advice and ignore Freedom Scientific if you don't like them or what they are doing?

Like I said in the topic about the way the blind and visually impaired community behaves, intolerant hypocrites.

garrett wrote:

Jean, you yourself are acting like a child, by not allowing us to state what is clearly factual.

That's where you are wrong, go back and read my message again, and try to comprehend it this time. I am not asking you to stop criticizing Freedom Scientific, I'm just asking that you present your criticisms without resorting to name calling and other childish behavior. It accomplishes nothing except to make your criticisms seriously.

Anyway, I'm going to take Dark's and my own advice and stop I'm going to take Dark's advice and leave you to your name calling and other childish and insensitive behavior, and I'm going to take my own advice and stop associating with people who can't or won't behave like the adults they are supposed to be.

Thumbs up

2015-07-05 04:15:55

Yeah guys, I agree with JeenWarner here, the name-calling is quite unnecessary. Do you not notice that someone, or an organization, or a company, improves when given constructive criticism. Some of the criticisms I see are destructive, not constructive. Maybe things would be better if some of you could work on that.
Now, to raise my point regarding FS:
Maybe we could try and ask the head of FS, have you tried competitors' products and compared them to JAWS? If the answer is no, then that would be one small step in making FS a better competitor than they are right now. Thank you, and I am sorry if I offended anyone.

Thumbs up +1

2015-07-05 05:43:39

@superb;

Exactly.

Question: Has any of you participating in this silly and childish name calling campaign ever considered doing something constructive and taken your criticisms directly to Freedom Scientific where they'd have the best chance of doing any good? Or is it more important to you to bitch and piss and moan about them than to actually make an effort to bring about change for the better. Honestly, you do you expect Freedom Scientific to improve if you say nothing to them about your concerns?

If you're not willing to do something constructive about the situation, the least you can do is to try and not make it worse by being mean and disrespectful.

Thumbs up

2015-07-05 05:53:07

@superb

Are you seriously arguing that a corporation that sued a competetor for infringing a software patent on placemarkers cares  more about ethics than profit?

I think that you all ought to consider how the screenreader landscape would be now if the FS$ patent on placemarkers had been enforceable against GWMicro and other vendors of screen readers whose products are now almost equally as good if not cheaper.

The bottomline for me with regard to FS$ is that they by litigation tried to accomplish what they could not do by open and honest competition.

Do you think that NVDA, VoiceOver and Orca could continue development if FS$ had been allowed to patent functions which are now common in all screen readers?

How could a free screen reader alternative ever be developed, if the developer had been forced to pay FS$ for each download?

Software patents are bad enough, and when these are (ab)used by an accessibility vendor to chill competition, and lock in customers we as blind users and customers suffer.

m

Thumbs up

2015-07-05 06:31:13 (edited by Figment 2015-07-05 15:22:33)

There is one humorous element to this non-sense.

Everybody knows that nobody actually reads those software license agreements software vendors like to put in their installers. So, other than to malign and wish for misfortune to befall all the people working at Freedom Scientific for the actions of a few,and of course to attract more readers to view the ads on his page and thus earn him a few more pennies, what other motivation could this blogger have to actually read one?

Besides, it's been proven in court that those "shrink wrapped" license agreements are unenforceable, though that hasn't stopped the software vendors from using them. So this ridiculous software license agreement that a couple of idiots at Freedom Scientific created is a whole lot of nothing.

Even though that first line seems like Freedom Scientific is trying to trap you in an agreement you haven't read or agreed to, they aren't. If they were why would they give you the option to decline the agreement. Even your blogger noted that. I believe that first line is just a poor choice of words.

I also agree that they won't allow other software vendors to use trial versions for software testing is stupid, that seems counter productive. More programs being compatible with JAWS just makes JAWS that much a better product. However; the truth is that companies with a real interest in attracting and supporting disabled companies won't balk at paying for JAWS to test their software with, after all, look at how much they spend on software development tools, they'd just consider JAWS to be another development tool.

This whole thing feels like just another opportunity to unfairly malign a software vendor just because they are competitors of your favorite screen reader. Unfairly? Yes, if you really intended that your criticisms of Freedom Scientific to do any good, you'd be taking them directly to Freedom Scientific instead of holding your private little bashing session here.

The bottom line for me is, I agree with a lot that is said here about Freedom Scientific's behavior, if I didn't, I wouldn't be learning NVDA, I'd be still using JAWS. I just disagree with how you all are going about discussing these issues.

@gellman;

At the time Freedom Scientific sued GW Micro, they thought they had a valid patent that was infringed on. Any company in that position, is going to sue the violators of their patent. It wasn't until after they filed their law suit that the patent was struck down. So there is nothing here you can fault Freedom Scientific for, they behaved the way any other company would were they in the same situation.

Thumbs up

2015-07-05 06:33:48

At this Gene dude:
Remember I am indeed still a young teenager, and I wasn't anywhere near the one who came up with the name.
I do not wish ill will to a single person in that company, I do not wish death, lawsute, any of that.
Not to mention that I myself do not agree with the flaws name. It is almost the same as NVDA.
Only thing is, NVDA people haven't made all the jaws scripts, and OCR is buggy if at all working on NVDA.
However, as far as i can tell, if you know python, you can do more with NVDA-addons than you can do with jaws scripts. You have the full functionality of python, external modules, etc, plus every single function that NVDA has to offer.
Now if I'm wrong, sorry about that, I haven't looked into jaws scripting.
If you want to take it up with the company, good then. We should actually do that. It's time these people heard from their customers!
Just, watch out for automated systems and scams when calling big companies like that.
I think the first place we should start, is, ahem, the legal department?
Anyways I'm off.

----------
An anomaly in the matrix. An error in existence. A being who cannot get inside the goddamn box! A.K.A. Me.

2015-07-05 06:36:17

and again gene.
Stop bashing all of us and making us feel like crap just because you want us to be adults, when most of us aren't.

----------

2015-07-05 06:40:46

coltonhill01 wrote:

and again gene.
Stop bashing all of us and making us feel like crap just because you want us to be adults, when most of us aren't.

Really, when I joined this forum I was told that you had to be 18 or older to join. I thought this was a community of adults, I'm sorry if I was wrong.

Thumbs up

2015-07-05 07:13:08

@GeneWarner

The patent was invalidated on the ground that the innovasion was prior art.

Prior art is a well known patent defense, and I for one don't believe that FS$ couldn't have discovered that assigning a keyboard shortcut to a text search function was so generic that someone else would have 'invented' it.

The outcome was not even close, so there is two possibilities -- FS$ filed the patent hoping they could get away with it or they were ignorant and didn't care to investigate prior to filing it.

None of these possibilities are flattering.

And no, using software patents in this sleazy way is not a strategy used by many software vendors.

My claim therefore stands, if the patent on placemarkers had been upheld the free screenreader development would ground to a halt.

Please elaborate if this is a conjecture with which you disagree.

You wrote:

"Everybody knows that nobody actually reads those software license agreements software vendors like to put in their installers. So, other than to malign
and wish for misfortune to befall all the people working at Freedom Scientific for the actions of a few,and of course to attract more readers to view the
ads on his page and thus earn him a few more pennies, what other motivation could this blogger have to actually read one?"

"Besides, it's been proven in court that those "shrink wrapped" license agreements are unenforceable, though that hasn't stopped the software vendors from
using them. So this ridiculous software license agreement that a couple of idiots at Freedom Scientific created is a whole lot of nothing."

So you are now conceding that the criticism of FS$ is in fact valid, but still it's wrong to 'malign' the Beleaguered corporation.
And the party whose motivation is to be suspected is not the corporation but the blogger pointing out the 'mistake'.

I don't agree, a corporation should be presumed responsible for its public communication unless proven otherwise.

Whether or not all employees of FS$ took part in the decision is besides the point, the corporation as an entity whom must be presumed responsible for its own actions.

m

Thumbs up

2015-07-05 07:32:38

Um, Gene might I ask, where'd you find out you had to be 18 to join this forum, and who told you if it wasn't from the forum directly? As far as I know there isn't an age restriction on this forum, although that still doesn't mean we shouldn't at least try to act like, if not adults, at least civil people. I mean, ok the bashing is fun and all. It's satisfying and such. Making up names fo the company, creating let's-bash-this-and-that videos and stuff like that can get a lot of laughs out of a lot of people depending on the audience. But does it do anything to help the situation here? Nope, it doesn't do a thing. IN fact, when it comes time that we send our criticisms directly to fs, this bashing might make them laugh at us even more and there's a chance they wouldn't take our criticism seriously even if it was constructive. I guess if y'all wanna bash, ya can do it privately or in like a group called "let's bash Jaws" or somethin like that if you really want to. Not on a public forum where fs could very well see it. Well that about sums up my position right there.

Thumbs up