2015-07-03 16:58:27

One argument in the public discourse about the right to die and assisted suicide happens to involve vulnerable persons -- namely the elderly and disabled.

Have any of you read this article from The Atlantic:

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi … ia/397235/

How do you feel about it?

- A lot if not most of opponents of assisted suicide are either silent or directly opposed to disability rights legislation and generous welfare benefits for disabled persons.

You know Christian conservatives who are opposed to abortion and gay marriage and rage against excessive welfare spending.

My own view is that it's hypocritical to  defend the vulnerable and disabled on the ground that said groups must not die without guaranteeing them an absolute nonnegotiable human right to a quality of life by which I mean public accommodation  enforced by law and a minimum income.

In other threads, we have debated how callous society often treats disabled persons, and we all seem to recognize that there is no enforceable right to  accessibility.

So the question becomes why opponents of assisted suicide who otherwise couldn't care less about the poor and the disabled suddently want to 'protect' them by depriving the individual of the right to live or die.

I also find it very mysterious that so-called disability rights organizations are against accepting that some people rather want to die than living a disabled life on intolerable conditions.

To summarize my own stance, living as disabled is tolerable, but I should have a human right to end my life with dignity  when my own physical or economic conditions become intolerable.

And this should of course require society to provide us  with a minimal standard of living.

But what choice do we  have if or when the majority suddently wants to spend the money on a bailout of big banks, or lower the taxes?

Shouldn't we have a human right to a dignified exit when society becomes too bad?

m

2015-07-03 17:37:48

I believe that society plays up this so-called healthy living too far and goes way across the line when it comes to the way they deal with suicide or assisted suicide. My own view is, if someone, for whatever reason, makes the choice that they do not want to continue their existance on the same plane as the rest of us, they can choose to end their life so long as they put no one in danger in the doing of it. For instance buying a gun, or taking your own and discharging it in a heavily populated area, a city, a large apartment complex, a townhouse or duplex, etc. Now you have the separation of law and ethics, which to me is a difficult thing, because a lot of things that are law, I personally see as infringements of privacy. But there is a moral issue here when you leave someone behind, a wife, a child or children, especially children.If you have a child, regardless of the circumstances involved, I.E. it was an accident, unplanned, etc. You enter into a commitment to raise that child, to impart socially acceptable values, to do your best for the child, both physically, and emotionally. So if someone with a child chooses to take their life, I find that to be reprehensible, even though I acknowledge that I support his choice to end his life, under the conditions, he has acted deplorably in that he has left a child behind and most likely caused that child severe psychological issues. So the natural conclusion here is yes, I do support the choice of someone who is infirm to choose to end their existance with dignity.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2015-07-03 18:12:26

In the US constitution, it is said that we have the inalienable right to life, liberty, and the persuit of happiness. If we have the right to life, shouldn't we also have the right to choose to end that life if our quality of life becomes untennable?

If someone is suffering from untreatable pain, isn't inhumane to force that person to continue to suffer by denying them the right to pass on with some dignity.

When we put down an animal because of a debilitating injury or illness, we show more humanity to animals than we do our own kind because we try to deny people the right to end their own life, when that life becomes unlivable.

However, I believe that they can pass all the anti-suicide laws they want to. A person who has been brought to the point where they want to end their life isn't going to care one bit if ending their life is legal or not. The only way the illegality of the act will effect them is if they fail the attempt.

2015-07-03 18:42:15 (edited by gellman 2015-07-03 18:45:23)

@ironcross32

Shooting oneself with a gun is only a practical possibility if you live in a country where it's legal and easy to obtain a handgun.

And in most nations private gun ownership is either forbidden or strictly regulated.

My point is not about committing suicide which is dependent on physical ability but on the right to end one's life in a dignified and safe way.

Suicide is mostly not a crime, but it's neither not recognized as a right since the state has made the means difficult to obtain or made it a crime for a third party to help.

If it's a right like abortion, it's not logical that assisting another to end his life is a crime.

The debate about assisted suicide is about the legal and safe availability of means to end one's life, not about the possibility that you could jump from a bridge and be lucky not merely to injure yourself.

If I have framed the issue ineptly, let me restate the problem -- should disabled persons whom can't get the 
accommodation they find reasonable have a right to obtain a pill in order to end their life at a safe location?

If the answer is no, which is the stance taken by so-called disability rights organizations and Christians, they ought to take responsibility for defining the minimally guaranteed public accommodation to which disabled should be entitled as a matter of law.

My problem with the no to assisted suicide camp is that they largely argue from moral superiority that disability is not so bad, and that every human life is worthy, but don't categorically state what accommodation to which the disabled  ought to be entitled as a matter of right.

Now I expect that some will respond that this ain't no problem because you can just take your own life yourself, and  society should not make it easily available.

But this isn't debatable and not true for some disabled -- a wheelchair bound or parapletic who  is (physically) unable to end his own life.

Also a blind person will often not be able to do the setup correctly.

@GeneWarner

Unfortunately your Supreme Court ruled almost twenty years ago that  Americans have no fundamental right to commit suicide or get a third party to assist in the act.

You may have a constitutionally recognized right to refuse medical treatment which by implication may encompass a right to starve yourselves to death, but euthanasia like that is the law in Belgium is not yet recognized as a constitutional right.

The bottomline is that helping another to commit suicide, or giving him a deadly pill you have reasonable ground to know will be used to end his life is a crime.

m

2015-07-03 19:02:25

Greetings all.

I fully condone/support euthanasia and as long as you harm no other nor do you ask another to assist you in suiciding unless you're physically unable to perform the action yourself, I have no problem with it. In this case, the being wishing to end their life is thinking rationally and are not under any kind of coercion and they're not suffering from any mental illness. It isn't an easy decision to make but regarding animals, I do agree that they're allowed to die with dignity. Why is it so different with people? I think it's the modern western mentality coming into play. It used to be that death was celebrated and we interacted with those who've passed on in our various rituals but not anymore. For a human, even contemplating euthanasia is frowned on and discussing it can even get you kicked out of some places. It's truly disgusting in my opinion that we're taught to openly ridicule the terminally ill who's considering ending it because they're in too much pain. I always get very angry when I hear of cases like this.

So to wrap this up, I do agree with all posts here and as for leaving children, that is beyond my comprehension and I do not feel safe to comment on it one way or another except to say I'd either take care of the children myself until such time that they've grown old enough to leave home and support themselves or give them to other family members or put them up for adoption or put them into care and then end it.

Kind regards, Amin Abdullah.

2015-07-03 19:19:39

@bashue
Agree with you, but why should voluntary euthanasia be limited to the terminally ill, and if so what's the logic for not including disabled who are unsatisfied with their accommodation?

Suppose that society tomorrow legislates that disabled from now don't get any welfare benefits or pensions, or that in order to be subsidized must accept  forced labor for the state.

This is not a far fetched possibility in some nations, where there aren't no welfare benefits for disabled, or these are very low or you can only obtain these on the conditions that you slave for the state.

If society cuts welfare benefits to the poor and disabled, I think that the logical consequence must be that society has foregone the right to determine when the individual can get a third party's help to end his life.

The current position regarding disabled and euthanasia is unsatisfactory in that they are neither  guaranteed a equal accommodation by law but are neither guaranteed an absolute right to an exit with dignity if society doesn't keep its bargain.

Regarding children left behind, I also agree with all other posts, and that's my reason for not having children.

m

2015-07-03 19:37:06

Greetings all.

At Gellman, you've definitely given me a lot to consider. If the disabled or indeed anyone is in such dire straights that supporting ones self is either extremely difficult or impossible then yes they should be allowed to euphonies themselves. However, such a thing should not be the first resort because there could be something you can do. If all avenues have been exhausted and their living conditions are impossible then I see no problem with that. However, I'd rather grant them citizenship in another country who're more disabled friendly. I also condone the practicing of removing defective ovum and gametes in order to correct them and reduce the chance of getting disabled foetuses on a genetic level thus improving the quality of life for the ones who would otherwise be disabled. Note that I'm not condoning abortion or the killing of the egg and spermatozoa but to extricate the defective genes. That could be another way but if neither gene therapy or relocation to a better nation is possible then euthanasia should be possible.

2015-07-03 20:04:10 (edited by gellman 2015-07-03 20:26:19)

@bashue

You write:
"If the disabled or indeed anyone is in such dire straights that supporting ones self is either
extremely difficult or impossible then yes they should be allowed to euphonies themselves."

This is better than the current societal attitude but still not good enough.

First, supporting oneself is a relative experience, and if the government already provides a minimal assistance, -- i.e 60 minutes homecare a week -- and current law stipulates that this is sufficient aid for the disabled whom according to the state now has all the 'necessary' aid to support himself, the individual might still feel that ain't good enough.
But if the state doesn't want to provide the disabled 120 minutes of homecare, and the individual still feels that there is a gap, he will not be permitted to euthanize himself because the state (according to its own yardstick) has already offered the individual all the aid that's due.

Second, there may also be hard limitts to how much state aid or compensation can 'equalize' the -- life activities -- wherein  disability either negates opportunity or reduces it to near zero regardless of money.

" However, such a thing should not be the first resort because
there could be something you can do. If all avenues have been exhausted and their living conditions are impossible then I see no problem with that."

This is very problematic -- or let me say a big loophole , given that the state already imposes struggling to last resort as a qualification for receiving aid.

However, if you by last resort  and exhaustions of avenues mean that the individual himself should decide when enough is enough ffor availing himself of euthanasia, I agree.

I think that only the individual -- and never the state should determine when the right to die is an option.

The reason is that the state can never be a neutral arbiter of which life is 'worthy' or when the individual at last resort.

The state will always claim to offer the individual all 'necessary' aid, so if you can only exercise the right to die as last resort, and when all avenues have been exhausted, the state can always claim that there is more the individual must do in order to qualify for euthanasia.
And this is really not desirable that the exercise of this choice must depend on the whim of a third party who has all the self interest in covering itself.

This goes something like this:

-- The disabled person asks for aid from the state.

-- The state either refuses or only grant partial and insufficient aid or compensation.

-- Now the disabled says he wants to die on the ground that the aid is insufficient or unsatisfactory.

-- The state responds that yes, this is not good, but you have been granted all the help to which you are entitled as a matter of law, and we consider this sufficient and necessary to support yourself, so no way you can't exercise the right to die.

-- The  individual might still not be satisfied,but this is of no consequence because the state both gets to define when aid is sufficient and when the individual is 'ready' to exercise his right to die.

In other words, if the state gets to decide,  Heads  I win, tails you lose.

You write:

"but if neither gene therapy or relocation to a better nation is possible then euthanasia should be possible."

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean.

Gene therapy and 'relocation' is not a free lunch, and another nation would not willingly assume the economic responsibility for a disabled whose home nation can't or wont pay for adequate support.

Suppose, that a disabled individual from a third world nation wants to die, because his situation is intolerable, and relocation or gene therapy is the last resort, who should pay and why?

It's difficult enough to get sufficient aid for citizens of western nations, so why would these willingly subsidize the 'relocation' or gene therapy of disabled from third world nations?

m

2015-07-03 20:34:55

Not only do I have a handgun, I could get one in 2 to 3 days, easy, but that wouldn't be legal, if I went the legal route, probably 3 to 5 days. I don't have a criminal record. Getting guns is easy, especially when you *know* the right people.

End racism
End division
Become united

2015-07-03 20:35:11

Greetings Gellman.

Unfortunately I have no answers for you. I was however talking about the individual not the state deciding when enough is enough. Having said that, if you turn to the underworld/criminal empire/black market, they may be able to aid in cases like this. I'm not talking from experience but throwing out ideas. My situation is different as I'm in an okay situation. Not ideal but okay. My reasons for wanting to go are spiritual rather than disability related. I suppose my conclusion to the problem is you have to go outside of the law to get the result you want.

2015-07-03 20:44:14

@ironcross32

You are very lucky, let me guess you live in the US in a good red state (smile).

I can assure you that getting a handgun legally outside the US is often very difficult due to strict gun control.

@bashue

My situation is also okay, but I ponder the question because there is always the risk that society can cut public benefits.

And all the aid is contingent on the majority not suddently feeling envy or dislike for welfare recipients whom are often said to get too much.

I raise the question because I think its implications are important.

m

2015-07-03 22:06:22

Red as in redneck, lol, not as in communist. But yes. And I'm not suicidal, nor was I ever, but I do recognize the right of the individual to make their own choice.

End racism
End division
Become united

2015-07-04 02:19:45

I can understand why the state would make assisted suicide a crime, to allow it would open a large loophole to commit murder. "It isn't murder your honor, he was in pain and asked me to assist him in ending his life."

I don't have to agree with it, but I do understand it.

I am not suicidal either, "Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem."

2015-07-04 06:59:27

There is this tendency for people to believe that any problem for which someone suggests suicide must be temporary and have some other solution.
I suppose the issue would be providing sufficient evidence that the problem is, in fact, permanent, or at least unreasonably burdensome to overcome (for example, requiring millions of dollars in public funds and massive societal change and infrastructure). That latter option runs the risk of being a slippery slope in either direction ("No, it's not unreasonably burdensome! Just lobby some more!" / "It'd be too much work to put in wheelchair ramps and audio announcements, so hold still for this lethal injection!").
To legally cover everything, it would be necessary to prove that certain situations result in unreasonably severe quality of life reduction, and that there is no hope of this changing within a reasonable time frame.
Others have suggested that this be a drawn out process with psychiatric evaluations--the typical depressive episode lasts a few months, and most who attempt suicide go on to regret it, so it would take at least a year, just to be safe.

Alternatively, build the Matrix already. If society refuses to let terminally miserable people die when they want to, at least find out if simulating a life that isn't awful would satisfy everyone. Well, except people would still complain about funding all this, but these will be the same people who are anti euthanasia and believe that Free Will Magic can solve everyone's problems all the time everywhere. (It can't. It really, really can't.)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2015-07-05 06:51:45

@GeneWarner

If the risk that people could get away with murder was  the sole or primary justification for banning assisted suicide, the argument would only apply to assistance outside medical clinics and hospitals.

What I think is hypocritical is the stance taken by the law that suicide is not a crime, but helping another with something -- an
act which is not illegal in itself -- is a crime.

It's like arguing that a woman has a right to perform an abortion on herself, but that she has no right to ask a third party  for assistance.

A right which can only be exercised without a third party's assistance is not really a right.

Note that I am not defending the propriety of assisting suicide in private (unregulated) settings wherein there is a higher risk of abuse, , I am merely pointing out that legal euthanasia in a clinical setting is a different beast and can only be banned on the justification that tsociety should go to extra lengths to preserve life for its own sake.

But if life is so paramount, this purported interest should logically lead to complete funding of all healthcare and medical costs.

Otherwise we end up in a situation where society can keep people alive but  without owing them anything.

And this is the issue I have with opponents of euthanasia of the poor, disabled and vulnerable.

- They accept no responsibility for clearly stating how much welfare (tax money) these groups are due.

m

2015-07-06 10:53:17

Before I lost my vision, I always said that I'd rather be dead than blind, but now that I am blind, I find that committing suicide is the farthest thing from my mind.

2015-07-06 16:10:19 (edited by Jason SW 2015-07-06 16:15:33)

I personally believe that anyone should be able to do whatever they like with there own lives. I find it extremely offensive that many people believe that they should have the right to tell others what they can and cannot do with their own lives and bodies, whether it be abortion, suicide, or something else. Noone should have that right. Not family, not the government, not even the goddamn president.

2015-07-08 02:55:41

Let me begin by saying that I am in sympathy with those who believe in an unconditional right to die.  It is a logical extension of the liberty which is at the heart of at least the American mythology of government.
Now let me push back against the overwhelming tide of discussion in this thread.
It is a short road from accepting simple disability as a legitimate reason for ending one's life to applying pressure to the disabled to do so in pursuit of savings, less bother for the temporarily able, who are often very good at ignoring the likelihood of their own eventual disability.  I'm not certain we want to give society permission to think that disability could be a state of being for which death is the only solution.  That's much easier than creating acomodations, taking universal design principles into account, even funding disabled people to help us live in the main stream world.  That's a dangerous precedent to set.
As I get older, the notion of absolute rights comes into conflict for me with the notion that we have responsibilities to the society as a whole to help those less fortunate, to allow each to maximize their own liberty, even at some expense to our own.  It is all well to articulate an absolute liberty argument about the right to die, or any other issue.  (remember I am disposed to agree with this argument.)  This liberty interest exists in tension with a societal interest in promoting life, in choosing to develop medical, legal and design protocols to bring those of us with disabilities into the fold.  A world without Stephen Hawking is certainly a lesser place.  A world where Franklin Delano Roosevelt is dead rather than President may see a different outcome to World War II.  What would be lost to the world if everyone who thought they might want to die because things were hard was kicked through that door.
I will certainly take this route if I should ever find myself in a medically untreatable condition where I have no quality of life, and after I have consulted with my family and they are at peace with that decision.  I will do so whether it's legal or not.  But I do think it incumbent on us to make sure that the barriers to making that choice cause us to hesitate and don't encourage the eugenic cleansing of the gene pool by a too ready resort to state-assisted death.

2015-07-09 20:20:22 (edited by gellman 2015-07-09 21:32:44)

@themadviolinist
You write:

"It is a short road from accepting simple disability as a legitimate reason for ending one's life to applying pressure to the disabled to do so in pursuit
of savings, less bother for the temporarily able, who are often very good at ignoring the likelihood of their own eventual disability.  I'm not certain
we want to give society permission to think that disability could be a state of being for which death is the only solution."

No, that's no more a counterargument against an unconditional right to die than fighting poverty is a strong argument against permitting abortion.

If someone due to individual circumstance no longer thinks life is worth living, he or she should not be deprived of his liberty just because his continued existence  may aid the promotion of policies in support of the disabled.

That's like saying that abortion ought not be legal because terminating unwanted children may have detrimental consequences for fighting poverty or that genetic testing for children with Downes' Syndrome should not be permitted because these children are needed to promote happiness.

The fallacy in the argument that there is a short road from permitting disabled to die to pressuring them to die by cutting spending is that society can already make life unplesent for the weak simply by cutting welfare and masking its sindifference by supposedly neutral 'concerns' for fiscal responsibility.

Also in most countries, you don't have an unconditional and judicially enforceable right to healthcare or a minimal wage.

Your concern would make more sense if there was already a clearly established enforceable bargain between the individual and society stating that you don't have an unconditional right to decide to end your life, but society will in turn guarantee an absolute and nonnegotiable minimal wage and legal recourse in case of inaccessible establishments and services.

But such a bargain does not exist, and if society does not guarantee absolute accessibility and equal accomodation for the disabled, it has forfeited its 'right' to compel people to live with conditions that a majority would not   find acceptable, or that at least my opinion.

And even if there was such a bargain, it would likely not guarantee absolute equality and accessibility in public accomodation.

It would likely be riddled with loopholes allowing establishments and the government itself to scale down its commitment to 'reasonable' rather than 'absolute' accommodation.

This is already the case with the American with Disabilities Act and other legislation.

"That's much easier than creating
acomodations, taking universal design principles into account, even funding disabled people to help us live in the main stream world.  That's a dangerous
precedent to set."

This may be your preference, but why should political activism serving the collective preclude the individual's choice in this matter?

I mean if the individual finds the entire premise of equal acommodation unsatisfactory, either because the accommodation is only partial, or because he thinks that the disability movement is only a sham,  should he legally speaking be kept on life support just for the greater good?

"As I get older, the notion of absolute rights comes into conflict for me with the notion that we have responsibilities to the society as a whole to help
those less fortunate, to allow each to maximize their own liberty, even at some expense to our own.  It is all well to articulate an absolute liberty argument
about the right to die, or any other issue.  (remember I am disposed to agree with this argument.)  This liberty interest exists in tension with a societal
interest in promoting life, in choosing to develop medical, legal and design protocols to bring those of us with disabilities into the fold."

Sorry, but preserving or promoting life without regard for individual autonomy
is not even a valid interest in itself.

If that was so, why not keep everyone on artificial life support for as long as the heart could be kept beating.

People have a right to right to refuse medical treatment or to smoke, drink and expose themselves to danger
even when the behavior is likely to shorten their lives.

If restricting individual liberty is so easy, because promoting life is a legitimate interest, a lot of behavior can and perhaps should be restricted even when the directly injured party is only the individual itself.

Therefore the only tension I perceive in the right to die is between the individual's autonomy and a rather fascist or totalitarian desire to keep them around for social experimentation.

By social experimentation I mean policies which are purportedly imposed to 'help' the individual but are either not proven to work or are mere sham justifications for other agendas.

For example, bringing disabled into the fold is frankly not an aim I consider very compelling; if individuals want it, they should be free to pursue that with all their might, but universalizing that to a societal command to perpetuate life against individual choice smacks of totalitarian control.

And such state control even if we accept it may be legitimate in some situations does not translate into benefits for the individual.

I personally believe that liberty defined as the individual right to exercise autonomy over life or death is always better than the society telling him that you must not do this or that.

The only caveat is that this choice must not violate the tangible rights of others to whom the individual owes a duty.

Do I think that the individual owes any duty to society to live?

Not at all.

So what about his or her family?

Maybe but only insofar that he or she is still legally responsible for underage children.

Children under 18 who are still legally dependent on their parents are a wholly different subject.

"  A world without
Stephen Hawking is certainly a lesser place.  A world where Franklin Delano Roosevelt is dead rather than President may see a different outcome to World
War II.  What would be lost to the world if everyone who thought they might want to die because things were hard was kicked through that door.
"

Yes, but the same could be said with regard to abortion. We don't know how many gifted individuals would have been born but for  the legal availability of abortion.

I know it's not necessarily your own opinion, but just try to replace right to die with abortion and see if the speculation doesn't sound rather inhumane.

If the right to die can be restricted for the greater good of society, I hardly see no reason for not applying the same paternalistic logic to abortion -- which I by the way think ought to remain a human right.

And abortion unlike the right to die might plausibly be said to infringe the life of a party who is incapable of saying yes or no which can not be said for killing oneself.

m

2015-07-10 23:30:39

I don't have the time nor energy to write a lengthy post about my opinion, but I can say that I think people have a right to death as well as life...
I'll just recommend a documentary called "Choosing to Die", made in 2012 by Terry Pratchett (R.I.P.).

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2015-07-22 02:23:23

This is the reason why I intensely dislike the 'Disability-rights'  movement:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 … death.html

"Samantha Crane is the director of public policy at the
Autistic Self-Advocacy Network.
Crane recently lost her grandmother, who had Alzheimer’s disease. While Crane mourns her loss, she doesn’t view her grandmother’s final days as a tragic
decline or a fall from the dignity of her earlier days. “She didn’t remember a lot of things, but every day she woke up, she was happy,” Crane told me.
“She was dignified. I want to reclaim the term ‘dignity.’”

The Autistic Self-Advocacy Network is one of several disability-rights organizations that opposes legal physician-assisted death.

Supporters of physician-assisted death argue, however, that it’s a matter of freedom of choice whether people live or die. They say that no one should die
without dignity, that sometimes life is too painful or difficult to be worth living. Thus compassion should compel us to aid someone suffering, and who
has a terminal illness, to end their lives. The leading right-to-die organization, Compassion and Choices, did not reply to an emailed request for interview
by the time of publishing.

Disability-rights advocates, on the other hand, are concerned that there is a double standard. Suppose a good friend of yours says that she wants to kill
herself. You, and most people others close to her, would probably try to help her so she did not feel that suicide was a viable option. Suicide prevention
would be the goal of the medical profession, of family and friends. Not, however, in the case of someone seeking physician-assisted death.

“The difference is your health or disability status. Then suddenly suicide is a rational decision,” Diane Coleman, president and CEO of
Not Dead Yet,
a disability-rights group that advocates against assisted suicide and euthanasia, told The Daily Beast. “We think equal rights should also mean equal rights
to suicide prevention.”'

Am I the only one finding this stance utterly orwellian?

The right to suicide prevention is not any right in the sense of having autonomy over one's body but a duty to live so that organizations can use one's disability to promote their often twisted conception of human dignity.

Just because Samantha Crane may find her own life great ought not give her a veto over the lives of other disabled.

I was not aware of this article, but after reading and rereading it, I simply find the attitude of these so-called disability rights spokesmen appalling.

Calling any rights based organization a self-advocacy network while clammering for depriving the individual of free choice and bodily autonomy is simply an orwellian abuse of self-advocacy and rights.

m

2015-11-03 13:36:29

Just found this letter written by a disability rights proponent:
http://www.nationalrighttolifenews.org/ … d-suicide/

Really stupid and wrong on so many counts:

Because he wants inclusion, disabled should not have an easy exit because they must be kept around for social experimentation like human Guinea pigs.

And what's so great about inclusion?

If it's so great, disabled would never even contemplate ending their lives because they might fell unwelcome.

The fact that so-called disability rights activists are so afraid of assisted suicide in any form reveal much about their own lack of faith in their own abilities and sense of reality.

If there was an easy get out clause which allowed every disabled to end his/her life, maybe they themselves would be tempted having their self deception shattered.

My personal rule of thumb is that the more a disabled talks about inclusion, the less capable he is.

m

2015-11-03 21:41:31

Where in that article did you get inclusion? His main thrust has nothing to do with inclusion, and everything to do with not letting people end their life out of depression. He talked about his life, and how in 1984 he had no idea his life would turn out as happy as it has.

2015-11-03 21:44:06

I am a firm believer in the idea that if we have a right to live our lives, that we also have the right to decide when that life has reached its logical conclusion for whatever reason.

2015-11-03 22:53:57

Hi all.
Wow another interesting issue filled topic for the masses, one of the reasons I like this great forum.
Ok so my view.
I agree if you are old and sick and have no hope of life you should be allowed to die.
I also agree that if you are born ie without a brain or with disabilities so bad that your quality of life, scratch that, your life or chances there of are basically nill.
I have a friend born autistic, hole in the head, basically a child.
Can't walk well not far, can hear, and see but may as well can't, can't speak.
Dumb as and with no future.
Her parents split up after her birth.
Her mum has thought about suiside many times and has headakes and such the effort to care for this person is such that it is needed constantly both finantially and otherwise.
There is no future, yet she can not be allowed to die either at birth or now.
She has rights that she can never use.
Its worse keeping her alive.
I have another story about someone a friend knows through their vocational activities that is fed on a tube.
He has no life! what right do we have to keep him alivve?
On the other side I see the issue of who has the right.
In the early days round when I was born in the early 80s we had just come into mainstream for school etc.
And at that time there were people that said all disabled should be killed at birth or abborted.
While at face value anything not normal should die really does leave a lot out of the picture.
If everyone can die, we need to make sure it can't be abused.
There are various countries like china and I think india according to the news that still kill children because they are not the right gender etc.
And while that may be on the extreme end, closer to home, imagine if you have a disabled child and are affraid or ashamed of stigma or simply wanting to not bother with it.
You could have the situation where people just kill what is not normal and thats a problem.
Also if the disabled can be killed, why have rights at all, just kill them all!
We don't want this.
We don't want 1 or 2 people to make a decision either especially if the person can't choose to die themselves.
And if it is misused that person should be punnished for not following the procedure.
I stop at saying someone being done for murder but maybe the equivilant to doing something without the concent like in the case of rape or information misuse or something.
This could cause argument in the family to but we would have to have some systems in place to stop things going to far.
I have read articles on disabled giving birth, who should die, etc.
And I guess if you are brain dammaged in such a way you have no hope of life or can never live a life that you should just die.
If you can't walk, or move your arms and have to be fed and attended to because you can't do it your self maybe you should be allowed to die.
But I would think you whould have to be a multi disabled person to even qualify to have the right to die.
We don't want a single disabled person to die unless its the brain ofcause and vary bad.
I have autistic friends with various issues, they can still function though.
And so we need a line somewhere.
Thats my view anyway.
In reality will this ever get solved?
Probably not in our lifetime.
There are what I mentioned and then there is the religious folk.
Now being born a christian myself though I don't go to church I know the basics.
Sadly weather your a christian, muslam or worshiper of evil or something whatever race you are what ever religion you are there are extremeists.
And to be honest there are a lot of them, quite a few are in america and maybe there are others.
There are a few dodgy people round this country, probably in every country.
There will be those that think that the status quoe should continue.
Others that wouldn't have any issue knifing a disabled.
Point is we need to make sure the right people get in and handle this and not some nutter!
Also, if a person has disabilities themselves, they shouldn't have the right to decide.
I don't mean totally all of us handycaps but those with mental disorders may not be the best.
Also those of us with bias towards that person etc.
Another and the biggest issue will to convince the outside people on the issue.
We may have to face it that it may never be resolved totally.
That is yes a solution will be found out, no it will not convice everyone its wrong or right.
There will be loopholes, and many will fall through the cracks such as they are in any new system.
And the system will probably totally fail at some point and we will have to rebuild it.
As with everything that exists in this world.
This issue has never gone away and it comes up and drops back and it will continue for a while yet.
No one has full solutions, though evedence can be produced for both sides.
Now there are countries allowing this right allready not in the west though.
On the other side of this though are animals.
If your dog is sick it can cost as much to get it sorted as it does a human.
On the other hand if your dog is sick there isn't a problem on getting it killed off, just go and kill it.
Because I know the right is there I may be inclined to take the easy option.
My point is, us humans will take the easy option especially if it means not using our heads.
I know because I have done this myself.
Maybe thats the problem we should decide what we want to keep and chuck and make stuff that are good quality and not so cheap you can make a quick buck before deciding if we should kill ourselves off by pushing a button.