2015-07-02 14:13:15

With the new iOS update, Apple has integrated their new "Apple Music."

The idea behind this is for fans to follow artists more specifically on iTunes and keep up with new tracks and albums or releases.  The feature also allows consumers to use their iCloud account as a way to add iTunes tracks to their libraries, and from there make available offline.

I got a chance to look in depth at the new feature and have the following comments:

While I enjoy Spotify very much-so, I do like the integration with the iOS's music app.  Due to Apple Music's ability to make offline, it consolidates your music to one application as opposed to two or more.

I also found out that you can indeed turn off this setting by going to the music section of settings (Settings > music > and click Show Apple Music, and verify it is off).

On the flipside, I don't like the updated user interface of the music application, due to its integrated Apple Music settings -- the app now has different tabs across the bottom relating to Internet services contrary to the old version, showing Radio, playlists, Artists, Songs, and More.  Now, it's all related to Apple Music.  I'm not positive if those tabs revert back to what we saw in iOS8.3 if Apple Music is turned off, but I will check it out sometime in the future.

I'll hopefully make a demonstration of it sometime this week.  No promises with that one.  I do encourage you to check it out on any other forums if you can.  I upgraded and am happy with it.

Best Regards,

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2015-07-03 10:18:15

hi, how do I sign up for a free trial? everytime I click start 90 day trial, it always saying choose your membership plan.

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2015-07-03 18:10:41

Hanif,

You can select from one of the choices, but payment is not required.  Your free trial will be in effect for three months beginning the date you initiated your membership.

This is very misleading on Apple's part.  I was weary of signing up myself.

Best Regards,

Luke

2015-07-03 21:09:07

Yeah and it's the same thing for google play music all-access, too, making it seem like you're buying your plan right away. The thing with these so-called trials is they either ask or fake ask for a payment method right away, hence why, in the case of google play music all access (not sure for apple music or if it's possible on Apple Music) unless you have a phone, you have to have a credit card or google play store credit to start your google play music all-access trial even if you cancel it on day 30. The way they do it is extremely sketchy at that. It would work a lot better if they did it the way something like all-in-play does it where you have fifteen days with no obligation like choosing a payment method straight off, and after the fifteen day trial, if you don't like it, or can't afford it at the time, you can just leave the account alone, no worry, no hassle. No worrying about it being autorenewed.

2015-07-03 22:50:31

All services with a free trial usually ask for some form of payment right off the bat -- companies usually figure that consumers will just purchase the plan after the trial ends so it saves them the hastle (consumers) of needing to enter that information in anyways when they decide to pay.

Best Regards,

Luke

2015-07-03 23:38:51

Ok so I will subscribe to apple music when I have the iTunes gift card.

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2015-07-04 01:08:03

Or you could ask for your mom to just simply enter her credit-card into the thing, then remove the credit-card from your apple id once you got subscribed, sense it won't cost you a penny as long as you cancel it as late as a minute before the midnight of day 90 of your trial.

2015-07-04 01:16:15

One thing worth knowing is if Apple Music offline music downloads are stored in that same mp4 container file format they were stored in pre2009, with that same drm. Cuzz if they are, of course they won't be able to be played on stuff like the victor reader stream. That sucks, cuzz while obviously the drm would not surprisingly accompany Apple music tracks, not everyone's got a mobile device to listen to that stuff on. Itunes being available on windows, and most of the masses using windows as their primary system, some of us with players have either a stream, bookport plus or some other mp3 player rockboxed for accessibility, we wouldn't be able to play the offline music on the road, and not all of us can lug a computer around to play music. As some of y'all remember, when tracks were drm protected, it was possible and ok to just copy them to a cd. Obviously, so you could buy them. I'm not trying to envoke possible ways around drm discussions again but still, with Apple wanting to get Apple music out to everyone, hence why it's the first Apple service of Apple services to come to *android! I'd think it wouldn't be a bad idea to include ways to play on other players. Like a method to authorize files to play on the sd card or usb stick the files are contained on, sorta like the way audible does it.

2015-07-04 01:56:36

If you turn off Apple Music, you don't get the original tabs back, what you get back is, My Music, Play Lists, Radio, and Connect. That's right, only four tabs instead of five.

What Apple has done with the unlimited access subscription is copy the Zune Pass that Microsoft offered with their Zune players years ago. And of course, those tracks will have full DRM (no authorization on another device, no burning to CD, etc.) attached to them because your right to play the files is tied to an up to date subscription. However once you buy a track, the copy with DRM should be replaced with an MP3 or some other format with no DRM.

As far as media players go, it's a pitty Microsoft's Zune didn't survive, in my opinion it was by far superior to all the other players available including the iPods, the only area where it didn't surpass anything else was accessibility, the Zune players and their software had no accessibility options. But then, at the time I had my Zune HD, I could see, so accessibility wasn't a concern.

2015-07-04 02:04:16 (edited by jack 2015-07-04 02:11:52)

Well that's a pretty solid system and I get why they use that system but still, it's a pity for people who actually own portable players that don't support this as the point of this is to play your subscription on anything you own Apple, Android, pc etc, but no portable player support? Then again, while I understand the need for drm especially on a subscription-based music service, there are always downs to protection systems that hurt the legit customer more than a cracker of which the genuine customer is not. At least they should do it the way Napster used to do it with drm-wma. Although the problem with that, and a huge one at that, is it only supported players that carried a "Microsoft Plays for Sure" logo which a lot of players don't support, even Microsoft's own! Zoon players don't support it which totally makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. But if you paid an additional 5 bucks a month on top of the standard subscription, you are able to use your music with portable devices. Apple Music should have that same thing attached.

2015-07-04 11:59:01

My first experience with the new Apple Music, left me pretty cold and wishing Apple had just left it alone, or even better, clone the Music app Microsoft used in their Zune players.

First issue is attempting to use the index on the right side of the screen reliably crashed the music app, my temporary solution was to set the rotor in the music app to headings. Now up and down strokes will move you from letter to letter in the index. Microsoft had a much better way of doing it, when you tapped on a letter heading, you got a screen with all the letters on it, tap the letter where you want to go in your list, and you are there!

It's apparently no longer possible to access your music library by track title. Often, I know the name of a track I want to listen to, but not the artist. At least the search will search through the titles, but that's not as good as having the track list sorted and presented by titles, as it was in the old Music app.

It appears that search results mix tracks on your device with tracks available from iTunes. It would have been nice if tracks in your library were listed separately from those on iTunes. Maybe they were and I was confused, if so that's the new Apple Music for you.

In all, I call it as, Apple stumbles, again...

2015-07-11 19:30:57 (edited by Figment 2015-07-11 19:57:15)

I was just over at AppleVis looking at their blog about the new music app and the comments from their members. By far the hottest topic is that apparently you are automatically signed up to follow all the artists in your music collection. It's not known whether this is a bug or intentional. What is known is that it's a royal pain to remove all the unwanted follows.

I was never a big fan of Steve Jobs, but at least when he was running Apple, they weren't so intrusive or made such stupid choices about what their customers wanted or didn't want.

Yeah, they added their music streaming service to the music app, but they took a lot more away from it. I, for one, want the old music app back!

Edit: You can still access your library by track title, album, genre, etc., I missed the category button. It's not as good as the tabs from the old version, but it does work.

2015-08-10 01:02:39 (edited by jack 2015-08-14 15:29:15)

Tip for everyone not using an always active payment method on their Apple account, make sure you cancel the autorenew on your 90day trial. You don't wanna end up with unpaid charges like I did before I even got Apple Music. As y'all probably guessed, your 90day trial will automatically turn into a paid individual or family subscription on exactly day91 of your subscription. Here's what ya gotta do. Sadly this doesn't work with the itunes on the mac or windows yet, but if you have an ios device, make sure you do this ahead of time so that it stops your subscription on day90. Go into your itunes and appstore settings on your device. Click on view account. You'll most likely be asked to enter your password so punch that on in and click ok. You'll see your account, click on the manage button under subscriptions. Then you'll get something like, Apple music individual subscription under your subscriptions, click on that, then turn off autorenew under that subscription. Do this ahead of time so you don't forget. It doesn't matter when you do it, you'll still get the full trial. You know it's expired when your drm laden downloaded tracks stop working. I don't know if they give you an error message, or just open but don't play, or whatever, but finding that out is better than finding out you could possibly have unpaid charges which are a pain to settle.