2007-09-29 16:34:26

Hi all,
I have a mud based on the star wars reality (swr) codebase.
I ran a star wars mud for two years until the player base left and I needed a new staff.
I want to get back into running a mud so that people can have fun playing with all the features in the game,
and most importantly have fun rping where rp enforcement is about setting down the ground rules of what is ok and not,
as opposed to telling people how they will play out each rp session.
Now that I have a much better understanding of rp enforcement, I believe I can create a great rp experience for players.
I love programming, so I have to admit I might not like being unable to code for a mud.
Aside from that I believe I would love to just be a player, I am not interested in creating a mud for the sake of looking cool or having something to run.

I think it necessary to create a mud Because there is not a single mud I can think to play that has a detailed space system, frequent space combat, and ships with lots of rooms including hangars and places to store objects and cargo.
I imagine some muds have that but the other equally important issue is the rp atmosphere.

My mud has an industrial class and engineering class, industrialists can build buildings and other types of structures from powerplants to factories that receive raw materials from warehouses and then send back the finished product.
The code needs to be pollished up, the new structure and vehicle design functionality is not entirely finished but is functional.

My plan is to open to the public in January.
My question is, what thiem do you all recommend?
If Star Wars, why should it be Star Wars?
Most of the star wars mud players play a few muds out of the fifty online now.

I plan to add planet exploration and building on newly found planets, along with a mob AI allowing higher ranking mobs and players to command lower ranking mobs.
This functionality is likely to be available around the time the mud opens as aside from the mob AI its already nearly finished.
I plan for building, exploration, and combat to be large parts of the game.
Pilots will be able to stay busy shipping vital loads of cargo from one planet to another.
The game economy depends on cargo runners, without certain materials a planet is unable to support construction of ships or refuel incoming ships.
I plan to add a stock market in 3-4 months.
One thiem idea that comes to mind is Star Wars but in a paralel universe.
I look forward to reading your comments and suggestions.

2007-09-29 16:59:09 (edited by cx2 2007-09-29 17:14:02)

I know of games with detailed space combat and frequent space combat, but not both so this would be interesting.

Perhaps you could make it sort of Star Wars but sort of not, if that makes any sense. The idea of a galactic scale rebellion is a good one in my opinion, but I just never got into the whole Jedi and Death Star thing myself which sort of puts you off the films overall. I wasn't sure if this is what you meant by Star Wars in a parallel universe.

Hangars etc would be very good. I know Miriani has some rooms within ships, and the unreleased Slipgate Legacy (still in development) has some more, but the more the merrier and this could be interesting. Especially so if larger ships with shuttles or fighters could be a normal thing, rather than being rare or almost nonexistent. The carriers in Miriani are almost never used, except when someone wants to use them to run a party (?!?). (edit: party event like a birthday party etc, not a group party)

It might also, or might not, be worth toning down some fighters FTL ability too. You could perhaps have some fighters which have long range, but others which are more likely to use FTL for shorter trips or scouting ahead of their base ship.

I'm also curious as to what your positions would be on PK and player death? I've tried a Trek mush that has permadeath, and it seems to kill combat since nobody wants their character to be at risk... either that or nobody wants to upset the politics. Maybe NPC ships would help if politics was a big thing, so players have someone else to fight. Just thinking "out loud" so to speak here, so sorry if it seems messy.

edit 2:
By sort of SW sort of not I mean make it close enough that SW players can get into it, but just that little bit different that people who aren't into SW's setting entirely can enjoy it too.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-09-29 17:11:16

Cool smile
I personally dislike the issues with a star wars mud such as certain types of people telling me they know the rules of star wars better than me and that in order for the game to be great this or that change must be made.
The change typically would give them a major advantage over other players.
Then there is also the problem of there being so many star wars muds out there.
I imagine it would be great to have some of the star wars worlds because there are some well designed planets former staff members wrote that are worth keeping.

As for carriers, I love them...
Carriers fasinate me with there vast size, support craft, and command and control potential.
Currently players can build ships from either a blueprint or from scrach including the names and description of each room and whether its a corridor, a hangar, or a cargo bay and etc.

2007-09-29 17:19:01

Being able to design ship interiors sounds fantastic to me, as does having control over mob ships. I hope you can keep us posted because whilst I am not exactly a Star Wars fan overall I think it sounds good.

I always found the films rather weird and offputting, but I did oddly enough find the computer games enjoyable while I had sight - X-Wing, Tie Fighter, DF 2 Jedi Knight that type of thing. The gameplay was always huge, and so long as they didn't focus on guys breathing through toilet rolls I could more than live with the plots.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-09-30 21:53:38

Sorry to double post but...

I've got a close sighted friend who would be very interested in playing too. We haven't found a mud so far where we can really sink our teeth into space combat, especially not together. In Miriani combat is a little obscure in terms of how it operates, based on effectively moving in a 3D grid... and in the Star Trek mush combat the politics seems to get in the way of even getting your hands on a ship for you to use yourself for combat.

This leads me to wonder if it might be a good thing to limit how much the playerbase self regulates. I know you don't want to limit how people roleplay, but allowing players full control over the governments or other leadership positions tends to mean they hand down edicts etc about who can be attacked. This also seems to result in limiting the availibility of combat capable ships, require people to work their way through enforced military rank structures etc which seems limiting to me. Would be nice if you could just learn the controls for space combat, then buy a Tie Fighter or Z-95 then go knock some low end mob heads together. Not to the point of making it a space-based hack and slash, but ensuring that hostilities don't require multiple people on both sides getting themselves arranged. I would like to be able to go out RPing and fighting with a friend or two for example.

*crosses fingers that other members start taking an interest*

cx2
-----

2007-10-01 03:59:07

I am very glad to hear you have a friend who is also interested in the mud.
That is an interesting issue, player control of governments.
I see a couple options.
1. Let game staff run the two superpower governments for the sake of improving rp.
They would have members who are not staff members, but maybe it could be for players looking for social rp and or politics.
Player run governments could overtake the superpowers if they use the wright strategies, but the superpower clans would do there best to prevent that in roleplay terms.

2. Have one superpower clan run by the staff with only staff members allowed to be members.
Player run governments could only take three planets each.
The superpower could constantly work to bring the entire galaxy under its control by proxy through taxes, terrorism, or blockades, or by bombing the people of a world into extenction.
By proxy I mean, mercinary or smuggling or diplomatic type organizations would attack an enemy on behaf of the superpower.

As for your earlier post about player death, how does the option of registering for pk sound?
It would apply for ground based combat.
I can not think of a realistic way to prevent it in space, its important on the ground because some people are not able to fight effectively especially with some people using triggers and multi command aliases.
It takes 20 seconds to two minutes to die on the ground in player verses player combat, but large ships can be in battle for anwhere from 5030 minutes depending on battle readiness.
One thing I imagine you will like is, your ships computer can be configured to scramble interceptors whenever an enemy is spotted, to blockade a planet, and to fire back at enemies.
Of course the computer is not nearly as good at combat as even a beginner pilot, but a squadron of interceptors plus the powerful turbolasers of the mothership are enough to seriusly damage a ship in less than a minute, even to destroy it if the target ship sticks around too long.

2007-10-01 09:04:12 (edited by cx2 2007-10-01 09:11:14)

That all sounds good. Another possibility that might be less realistic though is to have players as mercenaries or privateers registered to a specific faction. Any of these could work though.

The trouble seems to be partly that you need to organise groups of people on both sides of a conflict before you can get a fight in some of these games, along with the fact that you have to have IC reasons for owning a ship designed for combat. While it may be realistic it also prevents you from just going out there and fighting with friends, which limits the amount of combat in space. As some of these games seem to be you need to join a military organisation, then go through training, then be assigned to a ship... with several other people because a ship should have a "crew". It's nice in theory to have a full list of senior officers for starships, but it really limits things I feel. Equally though it should be down to the player not the faction to deal with loss of ship if it is just a ship used by one or two people. Essentially greater freedom to obtain military ships will help I believe, with just the question of how. It's maybe worth noting that this Trek game puts ship building in the hands of admins for each faction, so it must be approved by the player run government, etc.

Guess I was expecting something like that for PK, but the trigger issue is a good point. I guess I was maybe more concerned with whether there was permanant or temporary death for characters. The space combat all sounds fantastic though, and I would really like something where you can have a blend of action and RP.

cx2
-----