2015-05-22 20:28:05

Hello.
My canes only seem to last about four months before the joints get so jammed up that they become impossible to fold. I'm assuming it's in part because of the sand, salt and other hardships associated with winter?
Is there some trick to maintaining them so that they last longer, or is everybody replacing their canes every few months?
Thanks.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2015-05-22 22:13:16

Hi,
I haven't experienced this. Either the terrain in the Czech Republic is generally less destructive to canes even in Winter, or I walk less often, or I move the cane more gently and lightly. It might also be possible that the cane manufacturers in your country use different materials and a different production process so that the canes last less. Not intentionally or by design I mean, rather I am suggesting an unfortunate coincidence. :-) Our canes are definitely sturdy and long-lasting while being lightweight and very easy to use at the same time. Other than that, I really don't know. I haven't even heard complaints like this from my friends, either. I can usually keep a cane for a year or two, maybe even longer, not sure about that but I certainly have like two replacement canes I purchased some time ago and haven't touched either of them for ages.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2015-05-22 23:40:20

Thanks. I'm Canadian, so we're talking lots of snow, ice, salt, sand and when it's all said and done, slush. Do you ever start to have problems folding your cane? Before it completely jammed up, it almost seemed to have ballooned right where one of the joints were. Then you start finding that when you unfold it, the parts don't fit back together quite right and so when you start tapping the ground with it, it gets stuck together.
Hopefully somebody knows a fix or some preventative measure for this. I am about to get my 3rd cane since the fall.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2015-05-23 02:45:54

Trajectory, I honestly don't know what to say other than I find your situation extremely unusual. I have had a number of folding canes over the years and most of them have lasted at least two sometimes three years before having to be replaced. Most of the time the only reason I replaced them is because the alas tic inside the cane broke. Otherwise they held up pretty well in snow, ice, wind, rain, or shine.

Although, there were exceptions to the rule. Most of them were due to idiots at school etc being complete dumb asses. One time I was leaving the lunch room when a big fat ass guy came running into the lunch room, tripped over my cane, and broke it in half like a twig when he fell on it. There were a few unfortunate cases like that over my life which forced me to replace a cane early, but a folding cane should last a good deal longer than a few months.

You might try lubricating the joints in your canes using WD-40 or something like that as it sounds like the weather conditions etc in your area are hell on your canes and they are likely to jam up. The only thing I know to do in a case like that is to find some type of oil solution to keep them from jamming.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2015-05-23 06:33:45

@Trajectory, there are several things I find that can do in the joints of a cane (and believe meup here on the scottish boarder I know all about snow and ice as well).

Firstly, if pressure or weight is put on one specific section, the joints can indeed balloon out, particularly if you fall slip and lean your weight on the cane. To actually snap them you need some massive weight applied all at once as tom said (I once got one snapped by an oncoming lorry), but usually a small amount of weight applied in the wrong way more slowly can bend the cane, like if you lean on it, which can also result in the joints splaying outwards. The best way I found to avoid this was hold the cane more lightly, and not to try and use it for physical support, also to make sure that I turn the peaces of the cane around so that the same pressure is not being put on one section all the time with me hitting the ground with it..

Second, cane's joints always get done in when you fold the cane, especially the elastic in the centersinse the edges of the joints can be sharp and go through the elastic. The way to solve this and make your canes last a very long time is to keep them unfolded as much as possible, say by leaning them up in the corner of a room. Of course, if your out and need to sit down in class or at a cafe or whatever, the cane needs folding, but just when your at home, it's remarkable how much longer canes last if you just don't fold them up, I've had some that have lasted years doing this, indeed my current cane must be over  10 years old, though admitedly I've used it only rarely in the last five years due to having a guide dog, (it only tends to get used when I want to take Reever for an off harnice walk or sometimes when I visit my brother).

As to the joints getting full of guff, well I've occasionally had points where the cane gets stiff and hard to unfold due to the temperature, but the joints themselves don't get muck in them unless I've stuck the cane on the ground after folding it up. If this is happening a lot, perhaps look at getting something to put your cane in, like a small waterprooff bag.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-05-23 07:50:52

This is way off topic but projeferten were you 1 of the dudes at OVSA camp last summer? Now, on a cane note, i was going to create a topic for htis but it turns out one is already created. Well, yestorday i did ONM near my house. My mobility instructer asked if i knew anyone who used 2 point touch or constent, likewize, what do you find is the best methad. I want to use 2 point touch, but don't you trip more offen when using that than constent contact? As for buying new canes i've bought 1 every year, mostly due to me being picky about hight and wanting a cane that was the right size. I have had snapped strings, and even bent canes. I just got a new one thogh and never thought much about it.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2015-05-23 11:26:33

Hi.

When I was in school I used two point touch and touch and drag, (constent contact.) They both work equaly as well, depending on what you're doing. I've not used a tap tap cane. (I have no other name for it.) smile in ages. I use one with a rolar ball on the end, and it works good for me. I hear in the states they have a cane tip that roles forward backward, left and right, I'd really like to get my hands on one of those.

I'm gone for real :)

2015-05-28 15:25:00

Hi,

If you don't have oil, you could lubricate it with vaseline instead. Know this because I had a cain problem in my school and my mobility teacher used it to ease the tention between the joint.Not only the temperature but wetness could also make it hard to fold.

If you're in a public place, perhaps lean your cain somewhere where people won't bump into it.

As Lukas said, the materials may be  different. If you can, try to find a cain with stronger materials.
Maybe the cain wants a massage too? Perhaps it is overly stressed.

Best regards,
Thunderfist

2015-05-28 16:50:28

@Brad, I tended to vary between alternating touching the ground opposite to each back foot (which is I believe what you mean by two point touch), and sweeping depending upon the ground conditions, for example if it is very rough I'll not want the cane on the ground, where as if I'm coming up to steps or following a wall I prefer to sweep. I also have a rollerball.

To be honest though as I said, other than giving Reever the odd break I don't use my cane much these days and life is just so much easier with Reever. I of course don't have a problem picking my cane up again, the skills just get into your ceribrum, or at least they did with me, but it will always be second to a dog.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)