2015-05-28 19:38:29

The 2e runs about 170. I say you get a lot of radio for the buck. The audio quality the radio produces on headphones and speaker is incredible. Sidenote:  The AM audio quality is brighter on the cc skywave compared to the 2e. But the 2e has better sensitivity on am but the skywave is a decent am radio.  Both are awesoem on fm but again the 2e has the edge for sure. If you like radios that can get stations on adjacent channels then the 2e is the radio for you. Like if tropo is happening and you have a 100000 watt station near where you live then this radio can get a frequency that is booming in on the next channel.

2015-05-28 21:37:11

As for the 2E, I am asuming you meaning this one on amazon? I am also asuming the skywave can be found here. I am sort of wishing I brought this up last month when I was shopping. LOL. To me, any shortwave receiver must have pretty good reception at worse and great reception at best. It must have good selectivity, and single side band for those things that I wish to listen to that require it. LOL. The skywave looks like a ok radio, but I will have to see it and here it to know for sure to see if giving any of the features I wish to have in a short wave receiver is Werth giving up. As for am and fm reception good selectiving and good reception is a must. That of cource is one of the things that make the 2e look good on the specks, but then again, hearing and seeing it in action would be a good thing... Anyway, anyone know how best get a good recording of what my current radio is receiving? Right now, I run a cable from the ear phone jack of the radio to the line in jack on my computer and use audacity to record, but seeing that I have the radio setting right next to my PC, that isn't always the best of options. I do have a zoom h1 recorder setting here on my desk, but I am not to sure how much it can take via the audio input jack. The the Grundig Satellit 750 does have a line out jack on the back, but it is split up in to a left and a right channel jack in stead of one 3.5 MM jack like what you would see on the back of a PC. As a side note, I wish I new where that little bit of a background hum is coming from when I listen to it over my headset.That is one thing that is for sure against the Satellit 750 radio here. another thing werth noting is that this radio clearly could use a bit more work done to all of the am reception stuff. Yes, there is a reason for the mix reviews. a good external antenna may help with some of the stuff, but... I have heard that that is what is needed to make it sing per say. Really wish I asked here before I bought anything. LOL.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2015-06-28 22:21:13

As far as an accessible radio goes, this is what I have: http://www.maxiaids.com/products/6796/S … AM-FM.html

It's made by Cobolt Systems Lt.: http://www.cobolt.co.uk

2015-06-29 12:30:54

Hmmm. I looked at those links and find it sort of interesting. One question I have is how well does the radio handle distense stations and how well does it handle close and how power stations? Add to that, how well does it sound? Just wondering.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2015-06-29 18:19:45

cw wrote:

Hmmm. I looked at those links and find it sort of interesting. One question I have is how well does the radio handle distense stations and how well does it handle close and how power stations? Add to that, how well does it sound? Just wondering.

Sound quality is Ok, but then I'm not all that picky, as long as it's clean and clear, I'm happy. It seems pretty good on FM for sensitivity. Medium wave, a.k.a. as AM, is useless because the AC adaptor throws a lot of power line hum into the area, it's not bad if you run on batteries. I haven't used the long or short wave bands so I can't comment on those, though I do notice there's no power line hum on those bands. The included wire antenna is rather minimal, for short and long wave reception you might want to use a long wire antenna instead. My primary use of it is as a blind accessible clock radio for recieving FM stations.

2015-06-30 18:31:15

Running down the feature list, I see some of what I am looking for. One thing I do not see in the feature list is SSB (single side band). Allot of the two way communications that happen on shortwave uses this. I know that there is a lot of am stations on the shortwave bands too. I also don't see anything about any antenna connections on the radio. This would leave me to assume the antenna or antennas it or themselves are connected to the radio itself. When it comes to receiving far away stations, I get picky. I also get picky when a nearby station is over powering the radio if I have no option to deal with it. I don't mind using a wire antenna for AM reception if I can mostly filter out the power line hum. When it comes to local FM stations, a good clear sound is ok. I will understand if the sound isn’t beyond great. Is there an online PDF user guide? If so, it might list some of the things not listed on the maxiaids page. One other thing I do not see listed is the frequency range on shortwave. I am thankful you did bring this to my attention though and hope you don’t see this a complaining or anything like that.

DropBox Referral

2015-06-30 19:30:11 (edited by Figment 2015-06-30 19:31:44)

@cw;

Not at all, my philosophy is that the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. So I don't see your questions as complaining, I had a lot of questions when I ran across the radio myself.

Now to your points:

No, it does not have SSB. I believe the radio was meant for the casual listening market and SSB would just complicate things.

Although it isn't mentioned on the amazon or Amazon or Maxi Aids pages for it, it does have a connection for a wire antenna, a rather short antenna is included with the radio.

I'm sorry, since the short and long wave bands aren't a priority for me, I don't know very much about them.

There is an online manual, you can find it here: http://www.cobolt.co.uk/Cobolt/download … ctions.txt

The radio is pricey at $200 US, but for the accessibility it provides, I'm happy with it.

I hope that helps you.

2015-06-30 20:39:36

if you want to record radio streams just use tapin radio, it's a program which plays most of the stations available in the world and you can record with it too.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2015-06-30 21:09:30

While most commercial radio stations stream their broadcasts over the Internet, I wonder how many short and long wave station do. If short and long wave radio reception is what you're looking for, I have my doubts how useful a program like Tapin Radio would be.

2015-07-01 02:07:30

It is true that the tunein app is a really good streaming app, but not every station is on it. I have to also use Ihart and other apps for most if not all of my streaming needs for the IOS devices. As for long wave, I haven't yet found a station of any kind on the longwave frequencies on this radio I bought before may. Longwave seems to be beacons where I am at if I find anything... Sometimes I wish I brought this topic it up before I went shopping, but I already said that here before. I didn't know about that one talking radio before I bought it... Anyway, I will go take a look at that TXT file and see what I think. I suspect I might not have to many radios. LOL. Even if I don't, my desk says no more.  Of course my bank account agrees. LOL. Then the CCrain ones that was brought up in this topic earlier sounds nice. I am most likely more of a short wave listener than a lot people on this  topic, but I cannot prove that. When I got what I got, I was looking for a good FM  set that will also meet most if not all of my short wave needs within my price range. Anyway, if I had to choose today, it might just be between a CCrain and this. Is there an audio demo anywhere? Of course it will most likely not be a really good idea on how it will sound where I might put it based on the recording made along with mike placement and the like. Of course this assumes that it is recorded via the mikes on the recorder instead of hooking the recorder in to the radio... Also, from time to time, I may not know where I will have it next, so good AM and FM reception is a must for this amount of money... Hope I am not driving people nuts or mad or whatever you call it with this topic. Now for a more complete list of what I called a good radio. Good reception for the price range, sound must match reception if not better than reception, features must match the frequencies that it receives (SSB for short wave if all possible), reasonably easy to use, Antenna connections (for those times I wish to hook a different antenna in to it), speech output (if I can get it), battery power and option to power off of the AC, and the fm and AM bands here in the US and shortwave. The shortwave might be given up if the radio shows that reception on other bands are really good for the price range. At times such radio may be used to listen to local stations why hiding out in a basement if and when bad weather hits. Grant it, part of this list is a bit grey. Some of this did cross my mind back when I bought what I bought, but still this topic is proving very helpful. Hopefully, I didn’t make this post to long. Speaking of long, isn’t this over 500 words? LOL. I am a bit on the picky side when it comes to spending a lot on a good radio...

DropBox Referral

2015-07-01 03:39:38

One of the features of this radio that I use a lot is the ability to record programs to cassette pretty much the same way you'd program a VCR to record a TV program for watching later.

All you need is a cassette recorder that has connections for a mike with a pause switch, and a cable that you can get from Cobolt or any reasonably good electronics store. You program the radio with the day, time and band and frequency of the program you want to record, put a cassette in the recorder and put it in record mode (usually press the play and record keys). At the proper time, the radio turns on tuned to the band and frequency chosen, and starts the recorder. Since its directly connected to the radio, there won't be any ambient sounds on the recording. Later you can use the recorder to play back the recorded program, or use a separate player.

2015-07-01 06:14:13

For finding shortwave stations, you may wish to have a look at:

http://swling.com/

2015-07-01 12:22:48

Thanks for the link Trenton. I find it interesting reading, and GeneWarner, I do not have a cassette recorder at this time, or at the vary least I misplace the last one I had. The recorder I have sitting on my desk records directly to a macro SD card in either wav or MP3 and does not have anyway that I know of when it comes to control it remotely like that. I used this recorder to record clases before I graduated from university. On the other hand, it does sound like a good radio though. Speaking of witch, I clearly need to put my self up a wire antenna at the vary least...

DropBox Referral

2015-07-01 19:01:29

Yeah, back when I was a kid, I was very dissatisfied with the local radio stations, which at that time I thought were all after the bubble gum chewing crowd.

So I mostly listened to short wave stations from all over the world. To my mind, there was nothing better for good reception than a good long wire antenna.

My radio back then was one I built from a Heathkit. Remeber them?

2015-07-01 23:38:09 (edited by cw 2015-07-01 23:41:12)

I don't recall those, but that might not mean much. Then again, I may had known one or two people that had some kind of kit. As for the wire antenna, that should be easy enough for me to put together. After all, that will mainly be a wire put in the clip on the side of the radio I have and switching the switch to external. Then again, I will have to run the wire making sure that the run is clear from any RF noise such as my PC. LOL. That should be a cheap antenna to do up. I would find it interest if I could set up a dipole in the area I am at. The one good thing about the Grundig Satellit 750 is the choice of connections. Granted it’s a choice between a BNC and a wire clip type connection for antennas on the  shortwave. The FM band on it only has the BNC connection witch leave to two bnc connections and a wire clip connection. It also has a 3.5 MM jack for the AM band here in the US. The one thing I should had done was a little looking over all before buying, but this topic is interesting so far... If I can pull in the shortwave stuff alot better than I am now, I may be talk in to getting another radio of some kind to put some where else in the household at some time. That is if I can come up with the cash and a good reason. At this time, that is a big if.

DropBox Referral

2018-10-30 16:50:55 (edited by austingrace 2018-10-30 16:58:08)

Hello all. I miss this topic. So it has been 3 or 4 years since my last post in this topic but ccrane is the way to go. Same with Sangean. I'll admit, I'm more into radios than your average person. LOL I have been known to drop $100 on a radio and did not think twice. My recent toy is the sangean hdr14. It is an AM/FM radio that can get HD. It is accessible enough. As long as you don't need clocks or alarms. You can tune stations and save them as presets with no problem.  It also has a speaker and better reception than a pocket radio should have. smile So if any of you are a radio nerd like myself then this is worth a look. I saw that talking radio mentioned above. I say screw that and if you are spending that kinda money just get the CC 2e instead. I'm not sure what kind of reception that talking radio can provide but I bet it's not better than the CC 2E.

2018-10-31 03:25:00

Let's see, the CCrane sky wave SSB looks like a radio I would love to get at some time. Not only Have I heard, or thought I heard that the first skywave was usable to the blind, the skywave SSB has SSB that I wish to have on the shortwave band. Last month someone picked me up a Kenwood TH-d74A radio. If anyone on here has a license to use the bands that that radio transmits on, should give that one a try. It' for the most parts, reads out the info that is most needed it the right time. Yes, it has a voice. The butten that lights up the screen is the same butten that reads the screen. The down side is that there is menus that the voice will not read at all, and those that it will read, it will only read the number that is connected to the selected choice. The main difference there is that it will read back what you punch in to the edit fields, or at least some of the edit fields. Kenwood clearly needs to work on it a bit more, but it makes DStar a bit more usable to the blind. Plus having it read out the freq and tone settings is really nice along with the alpha tags you assign to the presets. You know, my radio collection my be a bit bigger if I had the money, the time, and the space. I guess I am a bit strange that way. I still have the radio that I had bought at the beginning of this topic, and I am guessing that for most people the CCrane Skywave might be a better choice unless you know that the one I had bought is the right one for you. I have found the reviews close enough for most things on it to tell you to read the reviews before buying. It is a ok radio for sure, but there are good and bad things about it.

DropBox Referral