2015-05-20 04:56:34 (edited by queenslight 2015-05-21 22:09:54)

Yep peoples, you heard right...

You can now find Emacspeak Win project over at:
https://github.com/SaqibS/emacspeak-on-windows
, and as ya can see from that link above, I definitely did not compile this new Windows release! That page also has instructions on how to get it up and running, unless ya use the "preconfigured" zip archive. (See below.)

To download the "preconfigured" version, grab it here
The archive comes with Emacspeak v41, and was tested with Emacs 24.4.

Anyway, enjoy!

2015-05-20 11:03:35

Hello,
Could you please explain what this emacspeak is all about? I keep hearing about it and I still dont' get it. Is it like a klango/screen reader combined?

2015-05-20 13:32:07

Emacs is an opperating system. Shame about the text editor.
big_smile
Officially emacs is "...the extensible, customizable, self-documenting, real-time display editor...". Unofficially, emacs is a platform which a lot modules have been written for. It can check email, as well as send it, chat on twitter, let you browse websites, and far, far more. Oh, it has a text editor, too. Which is mostly used for programming, but it can be used for general editting too.
Emacspeak is like an nvda addin if you're familiar with those, but it's only for linux.
This is a port of it for windows.

This is not a signature.

2015-05-20 15:06:29

so does it has screen reader itself then?

2015-05-20 17:13:26

For an understanding of what Emacspeak is, via the voice of its creator, have a listen over here , which is a "Blind Line" interview from December the 4th, 1999.

In case you can't run the newer version, or if you do not wish to compile the latest version on your machine, you can still grab the "original" Emacspeak For Windows port at from:
http://emacspeakwin.sf.net
, though its running Emacspeak 39.0.
It does work with 24.4 and later of Emacs, however with Emacspeak 42, you get that "Tune In" radio support, though I have no idea if that works with windows though.

2015-05-20 19:49:19

Heh, it's interesting that I met the guy who put this version out there only a few weeks back.
The things stopping me from giving Emacspeak a whirl are the frequent issues I keep running into and the less than helpful responses I get to these issues on the Emacspeak list, which cannot really be called newbie-friendly.
For example, it appears these days there is a preconfigured Ubuntu package of a relatively recent version of emacspeak these days, and it works using the eSpeak synthesizer. And it works, but one of Emacspeak's, at least in my opinion, unique features, namel the reading of different types of texts in differnt voice pitches, which is especially useful for coding, doesn't work using the default synth (eSpeak) it comes with. Or ...it barely works, is a better way to phrase it. To get that functionality, you have to grab the Voxin speech synthesizer for a few bucks and then use their install script, which of course decided to not work properly for me and to render emacspeak mute...
either I am cursed regarding this program, or it is just notoriously finicky smile

Balliol

2015-05-20 20:03:41

Since ya met him, and I did send him an email, i think... Wondering how his version of emacspeak could work on XP SP3.
I daily use chrome OS, though keep the XP machine for nastalja.

The problem I'm having, is it is giving me a permission denied message, and is pointing to c:/documents, which XP of course doesn't use that directory.
Sor for now, using Emacspeak 39.0, with emacs 24.5.

2015-05-20 20:13:52

Ahh, but Windows XP does use that folder smile
You will likely know it better as c:\documents and settings\ though. I think this is a simple issue of no quotes around the path, which makes this break since there is a space in Documents and Settings, which Windows doesn't like if there are no quotes around it. In win7 or later, this dir is called c:\users and therefore is less of a problem. c:\documents is a folder that doesn't exist, and likely you don't have access granted to the emacspeak batch file to write on your root c: drive ...so I reckon that is the problem.

2015-05-20 22:23:07 (edited by queenslight 2015-05-21 01:49:17)

Well, I'm officially not sure what to do here....

So, if there is no c:/documents folder, it says no file or directory of course, since i am running xp with emacspeak.
If I add the documents folder to the c drive, then it gives that "permission denied" message.
So, I am wondering if I have to set up a variable path or something....

Emacspeak comes up talking without issue, though the speech is fast...
Emacs itself just stays on that screen with nothing coming up.

I don't mind recompiling if I need to. Will certainly do it if getting emacspeak to work...

2015-05-21 08:28:07 (edited by queenslight 2015-05-21 08:31:31)

Well, i must say!

Although I still haven't gotten that newer Emacspeak41 port for windows working on my XP machine still, Emacs v24.5.1 via Cygwin using NVDA 2015.1, is working good! Im diving more in to the very popular "Emacs Org Mode."

2015-05-21 21:54:01

Success!

The Emacspeak 41 Windows port, now successfully running on the old XP machine.
Now I just gotta to figure out how to change the rate of speech, and all should be good to go!
Plus, adding those audio themes, (if this new port supports them,) which you can find them here

With the newer emacspeak windows port, I guess you just have to create the "sounds" folder, which I'm doing now.
Its a bit different.
Unlike the Emacspeak 39 Windows port, new sound packs are plaed under the emacspeak\sounds folder, like normal versions.
Again, its different, but I'll get use to it...

2015-05-22 04:15:11

I am so getting this. Does emacs work without emacspeak?

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-05-22 05:14:05 (edited by queenslight 2015-05-22 05:21:05)

Before I go any further, for those who'd like to hear a "brief" though "thero" intro to Emacs itself, have a look here at this You Tube video.

Also, have a look at this Emacs Bebginners tutorial, which will come in quite handy, especially if you want to make Emacs keyboard commands feel more like ""modern" PC keystrokes.

Now about Emacs and screen readers, you can use it without Emacspeak, though its better use the arrow keys instead of "prefered" Emacs keys, since most screen readers will not speak though.
Only Emaspeak speaks the orignal ones.

2015-05-22 06:41:09

Emacspeak For Windows v42, Now Available

here , and extract the "bin" and "share" directorries in to your emacs folder. Saying "Yes To All" when replacing files shouldn't harm anything.

Quoting an email the creator sent me this morning about Audio Themes and Multi-Voicing:

The audio files are there, but aren't currently working. This is next on my list when I have time. Second on the list is multi-voice support.

For those unsure what the "multi-voicing" means, Emacspeak on GNU/Linux platforms, is able to use different voices ant for different Emacs actions and atributes.
The last I heard Emacspeak work like that, is with when I was trying out Vinux 3.0.. Later versions of Vinux never incorperated that very cool feature, nor any version of Sonar as far as I know.
Its similar to how IBM Home Page reader worked back in the day. Or how the Jaws for Windows screen reader's HTML reading scheme works.