2015-05-19 20:37:03

Both the manual, and playstore link, can be found here

The screen reader is farily new, and only works on Phones/Phablets.

Several discussions on the Eyes-Free List are going on about it.
I'll let ya browse the archives to learn more, at your leisure.

2015-05-19 21:12:11

ah darn. i have a nexus 7 second gen. wanted to check it out. anyone know if its going to be expanded to tablets?

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

2015-05-19 21:57:50

Sadly, I have no idea.

Mobile Accessibility was the same way.
Least in the USA...
*Sigh*

2015-05-19 23:59:34

Well, thanks This Thread from the Eyes-Free list, Shine Plus not only has the ability label buttons, you can also "share" them with Shine Plus users.
Which Talkback users have been wanting that feature for awhile now.
All labels by the way, are stored on the SD Card, if ya have one on your device.
Not sure where they are stored, if you do not.
Unlike Samsung devices, Shine Plus labels work on any device which supports the feature.

2015-05-20 00:27:00

Hi all! Shine pluss is working perfectly also in my tablet! It's an Asus Keypad 7 running Android 4.4.4. It's a great app, really! Try it yourself; great work, really!

Claudio

2015-05-20 20:14:01

Golden shark, thanks for posting this, I tried this out, it was really nice, although obviously not better than Talkback, but the efferd put onto it makes it a great screen reader. In some points it's even faster than talk back, isn't it?
But I'd like to ask whether we are able or not to use shine+ if we do not have talkback installed on our devices.
And is it possible to install shine+ on an old 2.3 android device?

2015-05-20 20:50:09

yeah if you use the link that trenton provided it doesn't shoot you through the play store so just side load the app and its all good. haven't had any time to play with it yet, but looks pretty cool.

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.

2015-05-20 21:36:06

ShinePlus has successfully replaced Talkback for me. We can expect amazingness from this in the future, I'm very sure.

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2015-05-20 23:19:37

i have to agree with gorth. but some of the descriptions of the gestures is a bit strange. i don't quite understand them all. could someone describe what the different gestures are in a bit easier way to understand?

2015-05-21 01:23:13

For those who would benifit from it, here's an Audio Tutorial on Shine, done by one of the Eyes-Free members for "Inclusive Android."

2015-05-21 05:03:27

To be honest, I didn't know what to expect from this thing when I downloaded it, but all I will say is wow! I do have a few questions about shine plus though: How do you change granularities when reading? and How do you select, cut or copy and paste text with the touch screen like in talkback? Is there a context menu type setup where you can suspend and resume shine with self-voicing apps? Other than that, after playing with it for a few hours, I'm impressed, even highly scripted apps like hangouts dialer, for example, work as well with shine as they did in talkback, even google docs works, which is an awesome thing since I use it every day for school and basic note taking... It seems like zdsr in a way, I'll try to use it for a week and see if it lives up to my expectations... but so far, although the documentation is a bit unclear, I am impressed in the amount of effort and how usable this thing is.

2015-05-21 05:47:30

Best is to follow the eyes-free list, to keep up with the progress.
No, you don't have to join, just read the archives.

The dev is on there.

2015-05-21 10:20:39

Hi,
This has been my screen reader for the last few days. To answer the question of a context menu, there is the command pannel. Swipe left then right quickly, like changing pages in talkback...I only found this out because I tryed to do just that. It has a few things. Also, anyone find it amusing the thing uses the NVDA sounds plus windows nav sounds? Hmmm...

Underworld Tech.
Accessibility from us, to you.
Visit us

2015-05-21 10:43:14

Have you noticed? Shine+ manages the notifications in a better way. At least in my touch wiz home. For example, wherever you place your finger on top of the screen, no matter in the middle, in the left or right side, talkback will read all notifications in one dialog, while shine+ will not. If you place your finger on the right, it will read the clock or wi fi signal.

While using it, I also noticed an unpleasant bug which makes me put it in the second place. If there’s a title of a program or service which has some extra information, like,
Easy mode, for example.
In talkback you used to hear:
Easy mode, Easy mode helps you use your homescreen in an easier and simpler layout.
Whereas shine+ will read it like this:
Easy mode Easy mode helps you use your homescreen in an easier and simpler layout.
This was similar to some explanations shown on the shine+ settings which made me not understand some of its gestures and shortcuts.

2015-05-23 02:07:31

I think I found a bug though, when I copy text using another app and go to paste it into an edit field using the shine plus command pannel thingy, it tells me that need to use shine keyboard for application. I'm a bit confused, since it doesn't install an input method. I eventually did what I was trying to do using a physical keyboard, but if I have to use a physical keyboard to select, copy and paste text, I'll have to give shine plus the can. I've been using it for the past few days and I like it, but this issue where I can't select, cut, copy and paste text will be a major showstopper.

2015-05-25 03:21:44

Hi. I Have a question. How do you copy text using talkback? and how do i change the granularities of shine? Thanks

2015-06-05 03:10:08

with talkback, the procedure to copy text is as follows:
1: find an edit box with what you want to copy.
2: swipe up and right for the local context menu
3: if you prefer the circle method, swipe up for cursor control, activate it by lifting your finger, then down to get to select all, then lift your finger. Note that you can select and copy specific stuff from the edit box by activating start selection mode, changing granularities to match what you want to copy, like characters, words, etc and swiping left and right to increase and decrease the scope of what you're copying.
4: Once you selected something, wether with select all or specific selection, bring up the local context menu, go to cursor control and hit either cut or copy, depending on what you want to do, just like on a pc/mac/chromebook.
5: go to where you want to stick it and hit paste from the local context menu and you're good.
6: if showing context menus as lists, it's the same, but instead of swiping around a pizza pie of items, you would double tap on options, just like you would in a standard android ListView.
For shine, I stopped using it a while ago, but to change granularities, go to the command panel and select the desired granularity under I think move. I don't mean to bash it, considering for two public releases, the quality and app support were at least comparable to talkback which in my opinion is pretty damn impressive, but I had a load of issues with it, for instance on lolypop, the back, home and overview thingies couldn't be tapped on, you had to do that annoying two finger thingy to use them, and second of all, those permissions! Is this a screen reader or chinese/nsa spyware? What would a screen reader need to call and reroute phone calls and read your contacts for? Also, with shine, you could copy text from the screen, which I will admit is quite badass, but you can't paste, go to paste, you get "Shine keyboard needs to be selected for application", that's all fine and good, until you find no mension of shine keyboard as a possible input method or even anywhere in the play store/dev's sight.
hth

2015-06-12 13:13:51

I'd love to try this screen reader, but is there some sort of vm for vmware I can use to run android?

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2015-06-12 23:03:29

you could try the android emulator from the android sdk. Create an avd with the latest API and sideloadthe apk with adb.

2015-09-22 15:03:40

Shine plus is much faster then talkback and perform well for me at this point tell me how do you lable buttons with shine plus

I make podcasts for the VI cast podcast. The VI cast covers demo's of audio games, apps and programs for windows and android.

2015-09-22 23:41:53

Hi,
To label a button on ShinePlus, simply touch the unlabeled button and open up the command panel by swiping left then right near the centre of the screen, pointing to the left, you should find the label button. Enter the the name you would like to label it as, and then click done.
Hope it helps.

2015-09-23 13:34:46

Hello all.
I notice that the developers are very open-minded.
Some friends of the Hispanic community and the translated the shine plus into Spanish.
also I know of people that sent them mails in Spanish, and they have answered them and implemented their suggestions on the screen reader.
so this is a very good alternative as a screen reader, and I think that eventually end up as Voice Over or even better.
Greetings and thanks.

sorry my english, is not my native language.

2015-09-23 16:46:30

It won't get better than voiceover, but it has definitely surpassed Talkback.

2015-09-23 16:58:34

Hello.
Voice Over does not own translator.
Voice Over does not have as precise focus as ShinePlus.
this is my opinion.
Greetings and thanks.

sorry my english, is not my native language.