2015-05-18 16:23:18

Hello Everyone,

My friend studies industrial design and at one subject he was asked to come up with something clever about bathroom appliances (sorry for misspells if any). So he remembered me, and asked me whether the blind have any trouble at bathroom. We came to a conclusion that the biggest problem is finding/organizing your items in the bathroom. We were discussing ways of marking bins for special types of laundry (white, different colours), or marking the washing machine with a dial showing which program you're about to use etc. I'm wondering whether you have any ideas if something could make the user experience better for the blind. Any ideas welcome! smile

Regards,
Rok

2015-05-18 18:30:32

When we're talking washers and dryers, if you're using the kind with knobs, we have to mark ours with puff paint, putting a dot at the different settings. We actually had the maintence guy come and rip off a covering around the knob, because the plastic spun freely, preventing us from marking settings. Even then, even if you made those appliances with bumps on them already, you would still have to get someone to tell you what the dots meant. Maybe some kind of raised symbol system, a universal design would be good. A symbol for delicates, and so on.

They make talking scales already, which is nice. As for determining colored clothes vs whites, that's an ongoing battle. I haven't yet met a color identifyer that worked well. Some people go the route of sewing braille labels or variously shaped buttons to the inside hem of their clothing, a triangular button meaning one color, a square another. Again, some universal design for a tactile system on clothing tags is one idea, various textures or bumps to signify the colors. But that's getting away from the specific bathroom area.

I'm having a little trouble thinking of bathroom appliances I have an issue with. I know it's always awkward to go into a public bathroom alone, like in an airport. Where are the sinks? Where are the stalls? I'm just going to walk along the front of them and touch doors until I find an open one. What if a stall is out of order? How do we know that unless we happen to feel the sign on the front of the stall?

I can't really think of any other issues at the moment. Maybe others will have ideas!

Sugar and spice, and everything ....

2015-05-19 00:21:59

Hmmm, interesting question.

As compared to someone with mobility problems, there isn't really a lot I can think of in a bathroom that causes an issue sight wise. However, it does occur to me that if we're talking industrial design, ie, design of the fittings themselves there are various improvements that could be made in the area of labels and locations. For example, those occasions when you have to use a shower at a hotel, swimming baths or whatever and don't know which way on the knob is hot an cold. This is okay if you have room to stand outside the shower and test, however there are occasions when that isn't the case and I've had several lovely experiences getting into a shower and alternately freezing and boiling big_smile.

In the same way, trains in britain now have braille labels all over the place for things like the chain and the door controls, which is a good idea, however the dam labels are no where near the associated fittings! Indeed, the label for the open and close door buttons is on the opposite wall from the door big_smile.

Perhaps some tactile arrows would be in order?

For your own bathroom at home, one idea that occurs to me might be some labled water proof despensor tubs for various bathroom necessities like shower gell, shampoo and bath stuff, sinse the dam stuff always comes in different shaped bottles and if you have several there is a habbit to forget which is which, I've certainly before washed my hair with shower gell or filled up my bath with shampoo, oh, and yeah, real men can enjoy baths! look at the Romans! conquered half the known world and had the finest army in history, and! smelled nice! (also they ate door mice and thought violent death was entertaining, but I'll go with the not smelling like pigs bit as the reason for their success) big_smile.

As to laudnry I personally use bumpons on the washing machine for the programs I need which works well, and I can see enough colour to do lights and darks, although I have far more dark clothes than light and most of the seriously expensive stuff I have is dry clean anyway.

I would personally recommend keeping your laundry basket in whatever place you tend to get changed sinse there is a very direct relationship between distance to laundry basket and quantity of lost clothing (especially socks), mine is in the bottom of my wardrobe in my bedroom so I can just chuck stuff streight in there.

One consequence of having a guide dog is that I often use disabled toilets, sinse trying to get me and reever into a cubical isn't fun, (neither is trying to stand up in the gents with reever round one foot). In Britain anyone with a disability can apply for a disabled toilet universal key which can unlock any disabled loos in public places like stations and shopping centers. These have all the rails for people with mobility problems, but also are far larger, actually they're often a great place to feed my dog as well if I'm out in public for a long period.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-05-19 11:15:08

Hi.
Well, I think people always find their own way of handeling Things at home. I have labeled my washing machine with Braille which Works great for me.
My difficulty is to navigate at the very big toilets in hotels restaurents, airports etc, where you never know where to go to find a toilet, sinc or the other Things you'll need. My difficulty is if those rooms are very big. I'm good at asking for help if there is someone to ask, but if there aren't, then I can wander around for some time until I find what I need. When saying big rooms, I mean rooms so big so a car could easily parc in there. smile Yeah, I have seen toilets with that much empty Space.
I wish more Braille marks were used here in Denmark. But, I think the difficulty there is, if you don't know exactly where they are, you as a totally blind person wouldn't notice them at all. It would look strange to randomly search for Things at the public, which would make you look like someone WHO might have other issues than your blindness... ;:)

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2015-05-19 12:14:01

It's a shame governments don't getmore involved with access and technology really, sinse if you could have some sort of bluetooth scanner on your phone or other device that could beactivated to speak when close to pre set signaling points, that would help with many things.

I have heard that  that sort of thing has been tried in a couple of cities in the Uk as a more efficient alternative to a satnav with scanner type things on lamp posts to give street names, but it has lots of other applications, then again as usual it'd take a far more coordinated effort on behalf of the government involved than is likely to happen, not when blindness is so far under the radar as most governments are  concerned even when compared to other forms of disability, I always find it ironic that public buildings and many businesses in the Uk are now required to provide wheel chair access in terms of ramps, disabled toilets with hand rails etc, but still most information is available only in print and have no directional aides at all.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-05-19 20:12:09

Dark, I am amused that UK "Handicapped stalls" as we call them in the US have keys to get into them. Here, the big stall is just at the far end of the row, and anybody can go in.
Bathroom cultural education, one weird post at a time.

2015-05-19 23:04:37

Hmmm, Cinnamon, I confess I'm a bit confused by what you mean by "stall" here, and I am not sure if we're quite talking about the same thing.

In a lot of public places in the Uk like stations, shoping centers etc, there are the gents and ladies loos, then there is the disabled loo as a separate enttitie. This makes sense, sinse frequently the doors going in to the gents or ladies have funny corners that would be a problem with a wheel chair.

then, in the gents or ladies loos there are several cubicals (which is what I think you mean by stalls), ie, a set of sort of square wooden boxes with lockable each containing the toilet itself and some toilet paper. As well as this set of cubicals there are also some hand basins on the walls with soap, a hand dryer or paper towel despenser, and (at least in the gents), several stand up urinals.

So, the disabled toilet is usually an entirely separate room with it's own toilet, basin etc plus wall bars and whatever, and as I said makes a good place to go with a guide dog sinse using a cubical is quite a pain while trying to hold a dog's lead.

And this now ranks as one of the most officially surreal experiences I've had on this forum, a detailed and entirely sober description of public toilets!

And next week we will discuss with all seriousness the historical contributions and cultural significance of the work of that great 19th century inventor and innovator, Sir thomas Crapper! big_smile.

Btw, this reminds me of the time when on a biology field trip I phoned my parents and said "I got into deep shit today" they asked what I had done, and I said "I just told you!" sinse what I had been doing was standing in a river next to a sewage outlet in a pare of wellies scooping up critters with a net to count their biomass and taking water samples for toxicity readings! :d.

2015-05-19 23:45:30

From your description of "cubicals" then I can say that "stalls" here in the US is the same thing. As for your comments abot where this topic is going and about it being

most officially surreal experiences

I found that I agree. Let me guess, we might start talking about where clothing comes from. LOL. I can tell you, that is something interesting to learn about. LOL. Any as for me when it comes to bathrooms and the like, I can tell you that the bigger the bathrooms are, the easyer I get lost in them. Other than that, better labeling always helps. If I go and take a shower and I have alot of stuff to chuise from to put in my hair, the more likely I will put the wrong thing in my hair. LOL.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2015-05-19 23:55:46

Hmmm.
Well having your washing machines with the push touch controls and dryers speak would be nice.
However as long as its programmed I only have to push 3 buttons in easy reach to wash and 2 buttons to dry.
I haven't really thought much about design of things, speaking electric toothbrushes and shavers for things like time battery I guess would be usefull, and controlling all appliences in your house via some sort of Bluetooth or whatever on your smart phone would be nice I guess.
Personally I think your friend rock should go to the kitchen rather than the bathroom.
There are loads of things I can think of from the stoves with touch controls and the ovens with a single knob for function and touch pads ultrasensitive for me to use so I can't to set different modes, dishwashers have these controls to.
Microwaves and the list goes on.
Just about every new thing has a touch control and they don't all run android or ios sadly.
Now that most newer showers don't need setting with more than 1 tap which was my beef earlier there is not much to need work.
But the kitchen that needs things I also get con fused with these new smart tvs and interconnected devices though not sure what os the tvs use.
The stereos are also interesting and then a lot of new tech touch turntables and other stereo stuff is all touch even down to Bluetooth speakers.
Though in that case I have one that will beep when you move the volume knob, and there are sort of markings for left and right skip or track and I think play or stop but even so.
Then there are smart fridges and various appliences for various things.

2015-05-20 08:29:35

@Cw, yes, this topic is whacky, though i agree finding out the history and provonance of common place things can be an interesting thing.

@Sean, talkingmicrowaves already exist. see This link A blind neighbor of mine left me one in his will. It was odd, before I had it I wouldn't have said one was particularly necessary sinse those standard knob control ones (the ones that have one dial for setting temperature and one undernieth for time), are very accessible (you might not even need labels if you have a good timer), but I've rather liked having it, though admitedly this is mostly because the generator in it is a bit uba so does stuff very quickly! big_smile.

If it busts I might actually think about rebuying one, indeed I thought it had broken earlier this year but it turned out it just needed a clean and a reset.

Of course there are those annoying microwaves with those utterly impossible touchpads as you said, but those aren't quite universal yet, same goes for ovens, mine has braille labels that we stuck on anyway, though many other appliances like the good old george are just push buttons.

I can't speak for dishwashers though sinse I've never really seen the point of them unless you've got about five people in your housewho eat regularly, sinse I'm just on my own and only have my own pots to wash I just do them myself.

As to running things through smart phone, well I never really see why you would need! a smart fridge, sinse hay, it's a fridge, you put stuff in, it makes stuff cold! what else do you want?

I suppose smart phone control of something like an oven or microwave would work, but that seems a tad overkill in the software department when the things are easy enough to make accessible, or in the case of microwaves exist in an accessible form anyway. About the best appliance you could control via smartphone would be a washing machine sinse there are so many programs and the knobs are fiddly.

In kitchin design, the best I could think of access wise would be say some none stick counter tops to make pouring easier and not make spilling stuff so dire, plus an oven with those contact hobs that only keep hot when you put stuff on them, not to touch, ---- although again, kevla oven gloves are wonderful things! big_smile.

2015-05-20 09:36:44

I heard of talking microwaves, and in my opinion it is awesome.
Just to explain my coleague's position: he's a student with relatively limited budget and by today I think he must have an idea  of what he should do. It's not a big project, as he has to come up with something he can design (and produce) himself.
Thanks for awesome feedback, and do write any new ideas if you come up with something. big_smile
As for Slovenia where I come from, public places are just beginning to get more accessible.
@Dark: Regarding information, it's the same in my country. We don't have any braille on trains yet, and only now the staff of Faculty of Arts in ljubljana decided to mark the loos in braille for trial. They showed me the result, and asked me if that was okay. I replied it was, and added that they should equip every classroom with apropriate number.  smile

2015-05-20 19:35:36

@Rok, braille numbers on classrooms would be awsome, I wish my university had similar sinse it's always a pest to be told to go to room 41 and know where the corridor is but not which of the rooms from 40-48 41 happens to be. Ironically the only braille labels in the university happen to be on the book shelves in the library, ---- that is right, the only braille labels are on the shelves of print! books! Craaaazy!

Talking microwaves do work well, actually today at a Vi exhibition I picked up the  cobalt catalogue and see they do a talking combination microwave, oven and grill which I will have a look at, sinse that definitely has possibilities.

As for your friend's project, I'd suggest for a bathroom thing and something easy to produce braille labled tubs to hold shampoo, bath oil  and shower geell. labelling the bottles isn't always practical, the bottles come in many different shapes and sizes and so pouring into a pre labled container would certainly help, especially if the lables were engraved or etched rather than just being stick on plastic braille ones that might end up falling off given that bathrooms are, ---- well you know, usually wet big_smile.

2015-05-21 16:48:18

Hmm..I've been trying to think of something that would fit the requirements and something that occurs to me is a type of shower caddy with braille labels on it with individual slots for shampoo, body wash, conditioner, etc. For those who don't know what I am talking about shower caddies are basically a plastic basket with a strap on it you can hang from your shower head or stick on the wall of your shower with little rubber suction cups on the back of the caddy. I was thinking if there were dividers for your different bottles with labels for each slot it would help separate shampoo, conditioners, body wash, and shaving cream  from each other provided the user was sure to put the correct thing in each slot to begin with.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2015-05-21 19:08:57

Interesting thought tom, though I actually don't have a shower myself just a bath (I've tried to persuade the counsil to let me put one in but they  reffuse due to lack of tyles in my bathroom), so I'd personally suggest something more universal than a shower caddy when it comes to containers.

Also, I've never had trouble with shaving foam or cream, sinse I don't know how it is in the states but over here they always come in a metal spray can, which I keep on the bason by my razor rather than on the shelf with all the shampoo, bath stuff  etc,indeed even if I owned a shower I'd probably not want my shaving cream in the shower caddy sinse I obviously  wouldn't be getting into the shower to shave, ---- and besides wouldn't having a shaving cream slot be a little male specific?

It also occurs to me that If it was a set of individual containers with labels for different things, people could choose which ones they wanted, eg, I wouldn't be using a shower  gell container because I  don't own a shower, and women wouldn't  obviously want the one for shaving cream.

2015-05-22 08:47:31

Hi,
Honestly, I don't see the point of a talking microwave. That sounds rather annoying, don't you think? I just brailliantly braille label them. Helps me a lot nicer.
As for the touchpads on microwaves and stoves/ovens, I can see what your getting at. Touchpads seem to be getting a hell of a lot more common around here these days, and us blind folk are still in the good ol' days (no offense). Seriously, the thing I'm mainly angry at is the NFB and the actions they take towards people that "don't provide accessible means for the blind and visually impaired to use their software or hardware appliances". (Really?) I think the AFB treats people a hell of a lot more fairly than the NFB does. However, if we want to rant and rave about the NFB and AFB, we'll do that on another topic. smile

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-05-22 14:57:36

Not sure what you mean about the A.F.B. or N.F.B. or how they treat people Ethin, but I agree on touchpads, they're a pain in the rear, albeit are a trend in design I've seen in various appliances and electronic devices from the mid nineties onwards, making buttons smaller and less distinct (often just rows), doing away with sliders and knobs and other sorts of none immediate push controls. Of course the touchpad or touchscreen is the ultimate end of that progression, which is a right nightmare access wise on anything that can't have a screen reader installed on it.

Then again all these things are fashions, so we'll just have to see where things go.

As to the talking microwave, the odd thing is 5 years ago I'd have entirely agreed with you. The ones with the standard two dial setup where you have a temperature gage at the top and a timer to set undernieth are no problem use, and very easy to lable with braille or bumpons. touchpad ones can be more of a pain, especially if they're programmable, but here at least there is choice.

However, I was left a talking microwave by a blind neighbor who died and I can say there are some definite advantages. Firstly, the cobalt talking microwaves are all 900 wot, meaning they're uba powerful, wich is cool. Second, there are factors of precision you just don't get with labels. For example,I have learnt through trial and experience that if I want hot chocolate, a mug full of milk needs microwaving for exactly two minutes and ten seconds. Anymore and it starts to skim over, any less it's not hot enough after I whisk it. Of course, it is quite possible I could do something similar in terms of timing precision with an efficient timer that I start up, and a none talking microwave, or possibly with some correct braille lables although I've not personally seen one which my mum and I were able to lable accurately to within less than 30 second intervals.

There is then the facilities other than just using the microwave in it's standard form, such as using the defrost function, or come to that the time clock.

Could I live without one? Hell yes! Does it however make life easier and give me the same access to the functions of a microwave that sighted people get? also yes. Is it worth the 240 quid (about 300 usd), which a new one would cost? that I really don't know.

Btw, amusingly enough when I was at the local society for the blind exhibition chatting to humanware about aftershock headphones the other day as I said in the other thread, my dad happened to see a talking microwave in sale for just £50. We've now bought this and my parents have swapped it for their very horrible touch pad activated one, sinse when you consider that a new standard microwave could fetch you back 50 quid, the same price for a talking one isn't bad at all (especially one with a 900 wot capacity which is better than what my parents had previously).

2015-05-22 16:59:28

I agree about the timer/clock issue with talking microwaves. Ours has a bunch of buttons I haven't messed with. There's probably a clock on it. Our oven timer is a pushable touch screen, so you push the bottom left corner first, then the top right for each successive minute. But sometimes it beeps, and sometimes it doesn't, and I don't know if it's registered my push or not. That's where a talking microwave timer would come in handy. Previously, I didn't even use braille labels for touch screen microwaves. I just put dots on the number pad, start, and clear. Usable, but again, you miss out on timer/clock functionality.
Our TMO has a dial with presettings like popcorn, pizza, beverage. I just hit 2 minute express cook and call it good, but it's always nice to be able to completely use all the functionality. That said, I'm all for mainstream. If I can do something the mainstreamed way, take your blindy software and shove it. But I do like the microwave.

2015-05-22 17:33:59

@Dark, actually having a shaving cream or shaving lotion slot would not be male specific. You are forgetting that many women shave their legs, armpits, etc so have their own razors and shaving creams too. So women do shave but shave other parts of their bodies than us men.

As far as a shower caddy goes I don't see why it wouldn't work for a bath as well as a shower. As I said in my prior post you can stick it to the wall with suction cups so regardless if you were taking a bath or a shower it would be hanging their on the wall of your bathtub with all of your soaps and shampoos organized and available for use regardless of how you were cleaning up.

As far as shaving creams and shaving lotions goes that largely depends on if we are talking men's or women's shaving creams and lotions. Most men's creams come in the spray can as you mentioned. As I recall my ex-wife's shaving lotion came in a plastic bottle and smelled like strawberries or some other fruity sent. In any case it was easy to mistake it for hand soap since it came in that kind of plastic container. So we were careful to put it somewhere where I would not accidentally grab it mistaking it for something else.

In any case your point about women not wanting a specific slot for shaving creams or jells is probably incorrect since you are thinking of shaving specifically as a man thing when it is not. Plus most of the women I know who shave do so while taking a bath since it is easier to shave their legs while sitting down in a bath than standing at the bathroom sink as a lot of men do. So a shower caddy would work equally well for both men and women in my personal opinion.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2015-05-23 11:07:17

Hi Tom.

I did probably miss that fact about female shaving and the bottle design (though that isn't really something I'd consider),. Though I don't agree that a suction cup shower caddy would work universally as you suggest, partly because I've rarely seen sucker designs that actually work, and partly because they usually need a slick surfice such as tiles or a glass shower cubical, where as in my bathroom the walls are pretty much just standard plaster, (the very reason I can't have a shower), which is why I'd prefer something I could just put on the shelf above my bbath, plus of course separate containers could always be moved around wherever someone wanted them as fit their organization best, eg, men would probably want their shaving foam container by the sink, where women might want it by the bath or shower.

@Cinnamon, I agree with you on the mainstream front in most cases, indeed I had a miner disagreement with humanware about this the other day, when they attempted to advertise to me the trecker satnav device for a thousand pounds, and I responded "why would I pay a thousand pounds for something when I can buy a program on my Iphone like blind square for sixteen?" depressingly, the response I got was "Ah, but it's alright for you your a techy person!", ---- quite ironic given the number of sighted people who buy smartphones (are they all "techy people?"), and the fact that Ios requires no installation or settings at all, you just turn the thing on and get speech by default. Still it's a nice excuse for companies to use when selling their Vi specific items which have the same functionality and access as anything else for silly money, ---- I mean, come on 16 poundss for a satnav program vs 1000 for a dedicated speaking device? even if you factor in 500 for the Iphone (which is obviously far more than just a satnav), that is still literally double the price. (aside from the fact my experiment with the trecker was a dysmal failure due to how ridiculously over complicated the machine was to use and setup between all the wires and receptors).

However, the other side of the coin is that trying a mainstream alternative in some cases just plane doesn't provide the same access, effort and precision. I bought the victor stream because Itunes access became a pain in the arse (and annoying with my organization), and none of the mainstream players I looked at would do the job in terms of folder structure. Similarly, the Penfriend labling device is something I use almost dayly, sinse it is just so! much easier to have a friend read me what a dvd, cd or game is and me just record and stick on a lable than messing about trying to cut and stick braille lables, not to mention the fact that sinse the penfriend lables are audio I can get on all needed information in a much smaller space, (there would be no physical way to say "buffy the vampire slayer season 3 disk 6 cd extras, props and costumes, interviews and set design" on a braille sticker).

I don't use the talking microwave programs much, but having access to defrost does come in useful, plus I like to be able to set time specifically as I said, not to mention the microwave timer can be used without access to the microwave itself.

I genuinely don't know if the talking microwave is worth the 240 pounds it would cost new, not when a new one would be about 50, but that there is a bonus to using it over the mainstream alternative is something that I certainly have found myself.

2015-05-23 15:05:33

As for the main stream device in compare to the Vi devices, I tend to agree. I currently have the first model of the stream and my share of IOS devices around me. I personally have found that I tend to lain more toward the main stream stuff when that is good enough. I personally don’t feel the need to upgrade my stream to the newest model. After all, I do get the same if not better voices for the voice dream reader app. I also use the bard app on the IOS device too. On the other hand, I do like being able to put a book or two right over on the SD card without having to use the pig that is known as ITunes. I basically do not like paying no more than really needed to get the job done quite well. This would, for me, apply across my most if not all of my desires when out looking for a device of some kind to get the job done. Now if the stream would drop around 100 to 150 US dollars, then that my convince me to buy it. Add support for me to buy more voices for the device, and the desire for it might just go up a bit. Add dropbox to it and… I am sure you get the picture. I also had a look at the trekker  and find that it really isn’t Werth the price for most things. Does anyone know of a good GPS app for the IPhone to allow you to walk across open areas that is off the map and mark  points that you wish to come back to later? I am thinking about those sidewalks at schools and universities LOL. Now back to this topic. My biggest thing in the bathroom is just plain making sure things are where I think they are over all. One thing that I sometimes don’t find out until I get done in there is that the toilets sometimes  flush themselves without me having to do a thing and others not. I am sure you can see the picture of the blind person reaching for the control to flush and not finding it when all they have to do is to walk away in that public rest room. LOL. Of course, that feature usually gives away the fact that it’s there just by doing its’ thing at odd times. LOL. We are talking about the bathroom right?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2015-05-23 18:40:03

@CW, I know exactly what you mean about the automatically flushing toilets etc. I hate not knowing weather the toilet needs to be manually flushed or not. There have been plenty of times where I am reaching around looking for the flush handle when there isn't one. It would be nice to know in those cases when it is an automatic flush or not.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2015-05-24 08:14:42

Are auto flush toilets so common in the states? In the uk you might see them on planes or at certain hotels as a gimic, but most county councils are not going to shell out the extra cash for them as general public toilets, same with restaurants, cinemas, pubs, theatres and other businesses where you'd find toilets. I honestly can't recall the last time I saw an autoflush.

Maybe they should fit them with voice samples, like perhaps a dalek saying "Evacuating waste! Ee vac u ate! ee vac u ate!" or perhaps the enterprise computer saying "thirty seconds to self deflush" big_smile.

@Cw, I  agree with you on the price of the Victor stream, but Itunes just became too much of a pain in the arse to use sinse version 12 killed the lables, plus I do hate the way Itunes ignores all your media folders and structuring entirely. The problem is, the Victor stream is just plane useful in terms of being able to preserve folder structure and speaking the names of what you have in there, not to mention a few little touches such as being able to keep your place in one book while you say listen to music. I did look around at alternatives, but it seemed the Victor really was the only practical one in terms of an actual speaking device that would let me use files and folders efficiently, (I did look at the ones with rockbox but the last thing I wanted to do was swap the complication of Itunes for another set of annoying software).

Is the Victor stream expensive? most certainly, when you consider that a sighted person could potentially pay as little as a tenner for an mp3 player, and even a good, top of the line  one would cost them only about 50 as opposed to the 230 of the Victor, however this is one instance where I've just had to accept the price, and certainly in terms of how much I've used the dam thing sinse I bought it in october and how easy it is to transfer stuff (especially for someone like me who's a fiend about folder structure), I've definitely had my money's worth out of it.

2015-05-24 11:47:26

I love how we can all come together over toilets.

@Dark, in many public places here in the US, they have auto flushing toilets. Stores, airports, larger public bathrooms with multiple stalls. Typically, say if it's a smaller bathroom with two stalls, or even just a single toilet, you're more likely to find a flush handle. I think of the crappier bathrooms, pun intended, as having flush handels, and the nicer, newer, more industrial ones as auto flush. But yeah, they're pretty common here. I guess women are more likely to trigger the auto flush sensor than men for various reasons. big_smile

2015-05-24 14:39:31

I'd say men are %50 less likely to trigger the sensor, ---- you knowlike one number in two? boom boom!

2015-05-24 19:14:10

@Dark, Cinnamon is right. Automatic flush toilets are becoming quite common in the USA. Particularly when a brand new store or restaurant is constructed because they seem to equip their rest rooms with automatic flushing toilets, automatic sinks, and the automatic hand dryers which are probably expensive, but are becoming quite common in a lot of newer commercial buildings. These days the only time one would run into the manual flush handles is in older buildings than have not been upgraded and has been around for a while. There is really no way of knowing which type of facilities you are in unless you have been there before.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive