2015-05-16 03:02:05 (edited by The Dwarfer 2015-05-16 03:04:59)

Hey all,

Well, here you go. it's a little example game I coded in pure basic, this time with commented source code included. It's like a pong game. You have to follow the ball from left to right and hit it, but it has to be relatively low (close to you). Each time you swing but don't connect, you get a mishit.
  There are platforms in the game that when a ball has stopped horizontally moving, if it is destined to fall on one, the platform will make it bounce up. However, if it bounces off of a platform, that means you have to go after it much faster next time. This increased speed after contact with platform, is called the catipult affect, and only lasts around 5 seconds when it happens.
  You should also know that platforms can break. And, if you hit the ball a certain amount of times, a new one will form.
Enjoy the game, and I hope you can learn from the code! Here is the download link.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/492 … 20Ball.zip
Hints:
If you hear a little churp while moving, it means you are at the same x position as the ball, so you can hit when it gets low enough. However, if the ball is still moving right or left after this little ping, keep following it and swinging. You'd rather have a lot of mishits than lose the game, I'm sure.
The keys to move are left and right to move in those directions, and space to swing at the ball.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-05-16 04:27:18

Hi Severestormsteve, thanks for your contribute, I've read the code and understand in the most part, but I have to figure it completely. It's cool the data section, and the possibility to include sounds in a exe file. How did you learn purebasic? You read a manual or you did some exercises?
Cheers,
Ambro

2015-05-16 12:15:02

Actually, user Danny got me started. And basically, how he did it was making me open a console and print text. So from there, I basically read the reference, and practiced what I learned. I never really read a book or manual

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.

2015-05-17 22:56:30

Man, I wish I had the money to spend on PureBASIC. Are there any similar languages for free?

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2015-05-18 00:46:41

@blindncool
well there is c++, that's in fact what pure basic is based off of.
  Also in pure basic though there is a demo where you can type 800 lines of code in your file. I think that's the only limitation but I don't really know.
  I have a set up. It's not an illegal crack, especially since it's several versions out of date, but just in case it gets the negative attention of dark or some one else because it might look like one I'll not upload here, it would have to be through email if you wanted it.
  That is something I neglected to think about when releasing this. But some people expressed interest in pure basic.

2015-05-18 02:26:18

Steve,
Pure Basic is not based off C++, in fact C++ is completely different. BGT is based of angelscript which is based off C++, pb is basic-like code

2015-05-18 05:25:25

ah.
Well all that aside, I'm actually creating audio game includes for pure basic, and have created a menu class. to create a menu, it's like this.
;here is where we declare all menus. You can add your items wherever, but remember in this case think of menus as global variables, as they are in bgt.
create_menu("main menu", "up_down", "true", "sounds\menuMusic.ogg")
;the first parameter is the title. You will use this to add items, and configure item select events.
;the up_down means we'll have an up down menu. left_right in this set of quotations would make a side scrolling menu.
;true means wrapping in the menu is true. if you don't want a wrapping menu, put false in there.
;the fourth parameter is for music. if you don't want the menu to have music, leave this blank (type "")
create_menu("tts options", "left_right", "false", "")
;now let's add items on the main menu.

add_item("main menu", "start game")
add_item("main menu", "tts options")
add_item("main menu", "exit game")
;now here comes the do_menu procedure. you only need to create this once, but it holds the code for all your menus on select actions, like this.

procedure do_menu(TheMenu.s)
if theMenu = "main menu"
;don't worry. when we call load_menu on "main menu" in a second, TheMenu.s will contain main menu, until we load a different menu.
if result = 1
;result is the variable you must use. it's just like menu_result in bgt, it does the same things.
if result = 1
GameLoop()
elseIf result = 2
load_menu("TTs options")
elseIf result = 3
end
;that closes the program
endif
elseIf TheMenu = "tts options"
;there are going to be no options in this menu, I was just demonstrating the ability to have multiple menus
endif
endProcedure
;now let's load our main menu.
load_Menu("main menu")

Should I continue this project and release to public?
y or n.

2015-06-15 03:04:38

hi all.
nice gamy steve. Thanks! can I learn a little pb from yours? thanks!

no matter what you do, alwais, ghosts will be there. Demonic spirits waiting for you. Charlie Charlie are you here? suddenly, charlie appears with a knife. He killed me! charlie charlie are you here? tell me if it's yes. Are you gonna persew me or you're leaving me in peaze? oh my gosh charlie is indeed here! he's about to kill me!
:D

2015-06-24 17:41:32

Yes continue thanks! I've seen that is very simple to create a menu in pb!

2015-06-24 20:53:46

severestormsteve1 wrote:

Also in pure basic though there is a demo where you can type 800 lines of code in your file. I think that's the only limitation but I don't really know.

The trial or demo version of Pure Basic may have an 800 line limit, I don't know as this is the first time I've heard of it. But, one limitation of the Pure Basic trial I do know of is that you can't make API calls to the operating system. There may be some other limitations I'm not aware of, I used the trial for only a day before deciding to buy it and that was over ten years ago.

severestormsteve1 wrote:

I have a set up. It's not an illegal crack, especially since it's several versions out of date, but just in case it gets the negative attention of dark or some one else because it might look like one I'll not upload here, it would have to be through email if you wanted it.

It may not be a crack, but, technically, that is still software piracy.

2015-06-24 21:21:00

For those of you interested in learning Pure Basic,, there is a free "Pure Basic: A Beginner's Guide to Computer Programming" that's available as a PDF. If you search for "pure basic begginer's guide" on google, you'll find it.

Or just click this link, it'll do the search for you:
http://lmgtfy.com/?pure+basic+beginner's+guide

2015-06-25 10:02:49

Well as I have said before the "no game piracy" rule is more about morality than legality. ie, is someone actually losing out here, and I don't know enough about pure basic to say (hell Eamon deluxe distributed a copy of pure basic simply because it was necessary to run to convert the  old apple basic Eamon script).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-06-25 10:45:54

Hi, yes, I did get steve started on pure basic. Though I will not provide a hand hold for learning the language, I will provide a few exampples to though's who are intrested. I unfortunitly can't provide the full exampple of making an audio game from start to finish, as their are quite a few techneeks one must learn before getting to the audio gaming stage, one very useful thing is the console library, which works like this. Openconsole() Printn("Hello world!") delay(6000) That bit of code will open a console, display hello world to the user, and delay for 6 seconds before exiting the program. The language reference manual is also quite a good starting place.

Check out the new reality software site. http://realitysoftware.noip.us

2015-07-30 19:13:09

Hi,
I can't compile it, I need a new version of PureTTS.
Can you upload that as well?
Marc

2015-07-30 19:38:18

the latest is pure tts4, do you not have that?

2015-07-30 19:46:50 (edited by MarcroSoft 2015-07-30 19:47:28)

No, you didn't include it, and I can't find it.
Marc