2015-05-14 19:45:44

...When something happens that sets in motion memories of the past that, for one reason or another, are depressing to the point of a total shutdown. When all you can do is lay there, because dammit, everything else, even walking, hurts. Oh, and write. Ugh! I hardly ever write anything, aside from messages and posts, unless I'm in one of those kinda moods, which seems to happen every couple days now. But when I do, it's usually deep stuff, in some form. Poetry (seriously, I've never done that before), everything from a couple lines of stuff to an unorganized couple pages of thought. Ugh! Oh, and there's music, too. Lots and lots of that. Assemblage 23, Enter Shikari, Deadmau5, Dethklok, Arlo Guthry, Knife Party, Nine Inch Nails, Amaranthe... And this rendition of Eight Melodies, IDK who sings it but it's really pretty, and sad as hell! That a wide enough selection for ya?

*screams*!

"Actually, they're just super-advanced holograms created for the sole purpose of enriching a children's cardgame."

2015-05-15 16:17:45

@BigD, I do sympathize. Poetry is useful, indeed I always think it odd that people believe poetry is all pretty fluffy things about flowers and birds and sunshine when in fact poetry can be some very raw and nasty stuff, sinse it's often the  only way to really set down some very strong emotions.

There are a few other things you could also try. firstly, if the memories you mention are connected to some sort of traumer in your past look for something vaguely support orientated directed towards that sort of traumer. I don't mean a therapist, sinse while a good therapist can be helpful a bad one can do waaaaay more harm than good and it's not always practical or even financially viable anyway, but there are support sites and forums depending upon the nature of the traumer which can often be good places for venting sinse even if people there do not have similar circumstances they may know something similar enough to at least listen in a sympathetic fashion.

Phoning samaritans and just talking can be useful, although the problem with samaritans is that occasionally you get someone who's idea of listening is just to sit there and say "mmmm" Friends can also be good but that also presents problems depending upon your relationns with your friends.

Also, at risk of sounding like a bad self help commercial crying is quite legitimate and can be a useful releasing process, ---- oh and yeah, real men do cry.

Another thing you could consider to get you through those fugue states where everything but lying still is painful is the use of very dry, ceribral information such as lists of historical facts on wikipedia or tables in rp games. In a similar vane, stratogy games which employ pure logic can be very useful as a way to just get through emotionally bad moments without  collapsing sinse they don't involve emotion at all. Spacial or logic puzzles, cardgames against the computer, resource management or pure business type games, maybe sudocu or boggle type monopoly puzzles if that is your thing.

hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-05-17 16:51:21

Hi,

I feel sorry that you have these problems. Often wwhen we are in stress it's natural to feell like you want to lie down.

My advice to you would be, when you have these moods, think all about all the good things in you're life. Think something positive! If you believe in heaven then think of heaven. If you don't, you might, for instance, like to imagine a grassland. Rivers all around you are flowing gently with gold colored water (if you can imagine gold.) You hear the cherping of birds up in the trees. This is just a suggestion. Choose something that you really can relate to to imagine. Not only that but if you need to talk about you're problems, go and talk about them. In addition, you might want to go out more. You might want to join sports clubs or something. Dark is right in saying that poetry can help. The intresting thing about poems is that they can expand on the heart in many different ways. They can open our minds to truths that we've never realised. Exercise can also help. In addition, getting a pet and taking it for a walk can help too.

If you're feeling particularly "Oh, I've just had enough." Sit down. If you really can't calm down, then just lie down. If that really doesn't work, take a bath. Another thing that can work is, if you're feeling like this in the night, say at 10 o'clock or some other time, just go to sleep. By the next morning, you should hopefully feel fine.

I hope this can help you.
Best regards,
Thunderfist.

2015-05-19 14:33:05

Animals have a remarkable way of taking away bad moods, bad memories, bad and angry emotions, at least for me. While I don't suffer from depression, I do from time to time just kind of get angry, and just being around a dog or a cat and playing with them or petting them is like one of the most awesome ways of lifting that dark looming cloud away from me. And it happens instantly.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2015-05-19 22:46:57

When you're angry and feel like blowing up at someone, stay silent. Don't say a thing. Just go out of where you are and cool down. Otherwise you may say something that you never would have said, and people may become withdrawn from you.
Hope this helps.

2015-05-19 23:16:41

@Thunderfist and Ironcross, what your saying is what I'd deme as normal advice for feeling down, or pissed off or whatever.
The problem is, the sort of thing BigD is describing in his first post goes rather further than that, eg, not being able to walk.

Everyone feels down or miserable at some points and yes, listening to some music, walking your dog, calming down are all good things to try. However, there is a level where the depression can get so severe it becomes a literal form of disability sinse it causes you to be just as incapable of doing things as if your legs or eyes or hands didn't work.

At those times, frequently all you can do is hold on, metaphorically batton down the hatches and wait for things to pass, perhaps looking at some sort of professional help or prescribed anti depressants along the way.

In fairness this is a problem both with language and with culture, sinse a lot of people are very quick to claim they have "depression!" when in efect they just feel a bit down, for example one friend of mine who actually does suffer really severe clinical depression, for which she has both been on medication and in hospital (the kind that really does stop her from doing much of anything on her off days), once got very annoyed at someone who claimed! to have depression and used for evidence for this the fact that "he hadn't been out all week!" when in fact he'd gone to all his university lectures and gone shopping and had still got up, been around the house etc, ---- all he in fact meant is that he hadn't gone out to the pub with his friends all week, which is feeling unsociable, not "depression!"

It also annoys my friend when people tell her to just "cheer up" or on one occasion "stop behaving like a hysterical teenager", sinse in her case simply "cheering up" or changing attitude won't do the trick, this isn't her attitude it is something she simply happened to be born with (there is a family history), and actually her rationalization of it and coping mechanisms are something I'm always quite impressed by.

Similar and related matters occur in cases of ptsd and traumer recovery as well, sinse frequently a ptsd sufferer doesn't get a choice about what they're feeling either, and it's often a case of simply trying to cope with things at the time.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-05-20 00:12:35

Yeah no one who goes through that kind of debilitating depression could know what others go through.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2015-05-20 07:52:47

As someone who also has had bouts of rather severe clinical depression, I agree with what Dark is saying.
In fact, if I knew a couple of the people who responded personally, and they told me some of the things that were said here, I would have been rather offended. As it stands, I'm able to detach emotionally from such comments because they're on a forum, and, besides, I'm currently in a fairly stable place at the moment as far as my depression is concerned.
But one thing I personally can't stand is when people hound me continuously for a reason as to why I feel that way when I'm particularly down. I've been told, "oh, come on, you don't just feel that way for no reason!" So, depending on how persistent the individual in question is, and, trust me, I've known people who really don't let the subject drop, I have to use my limited energy to try and pull something out of the air to justify how I feel. All that does is make me feel even more horrible, not to mention harassed.
Almost as bad are the people who, like Dark said, insist that you should just grow up and stop being attention seeking. It's attitudes like that which cause lots of people to never ask for help, because, let's face it, we've all done things in our hormone-addled adolescences that were overdramatic, pathetic, and downright stupid. So to be compared to that over and over again as an adult is beyond humiliating.

Somewhere on the internet, there are lists that have been compiled where people wrote the best and worst things to say to a person who is clinically depressed. And while these lists are a bit trite, and some of it will probably make you say, "duh, that's common sense", they are worth reading if you really want to understand how depression affects people. If anyone is interested, I can probably hunt down those links; they should be on the Wayback machine, if nothing else.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2015-05-20 08:14:40

@Turtlepower, I'd be interested to see said lists myself, just for a chuckle at the badness of some suggestions big_smile.

The shocking thing is the last time my friend was told "Oh isn't this all a bit adolescent" was by a nurse at hospital after a suicide attempt, ---- yes, so much for the medical profession. One thing she does however do that always impresses me is tell people in quite a rational and no nonsense fashion that she has clinical depression, that it is something she just has to wait out, and no, it's not just feeling down. One of her favourite sayings which makes me laugh is "mad! not stupid" big_smile.

I will also say that while I don't have depression in the same sense my friend does, I have experienced related and quite similar symptoms on occasion as well for rather different reasons, so I do have some degree of understanding that goes beyond merely the imaginatively empathic.

2015-05-21 11:42:50

Heh. Mine isn't so much clinical, just the ripples of a massive wave. If I'm saying that right, who knows?
It's always the people with disabilities that are the most fun or encouraging to be around.
But I swear, the next person who asks me who helps me use the computer, who reads and writes my emails for me... :@
Used to have a golden, actually. Had to rehome her, and she's doing well over there, but she'd wait outside doors for me. Never needed a leash for her. big_smile
I too would be interested in seeing that list. See what kinda silly things made the top worst. lol

A circle unbroken and pure,
of love and trust so simple and true
But you were always in my space, you threw my trust in my face,
and split the circle in two.

"Actually, they're just super-advanced holograms created for the sole purpose of enriching a children's cardgame."

2015-05-21 12:05:17

@BigD a random interesting fact  about classification, is that depression counts as "clinical" according to it's affect not it's cause, ie, if it causes problems with a person living their life, getting dressed, carrying out normal activities, it's clinical, whether the cause is indoginous, ie,  part of the person's basic biochemistry that they were born with like my friend has, or reactive ie, a reaction to a traumatic circumstance or event.

Admitedly this classification  is pretty dam clumsy, and also takes convincing a psychologist whether you can or cannot do certain things, it also doesn't take into account effort, but it is certainly true that it works by affect, not by cause.

Whether this counts you or not I don't know, sinse I'm not you and I don't tend to be inclined to be one to affix lables to people, (although what you've said in your posts definitely to me sounds like more than normal levels of miserableness).
I do directly disagree with you that "disabled people are more fun to be around", both because I have seen far too many cleaque orientated and insula blind people, and because I've got some very fun none disabled friends, but I will agree people who don't look outside the collective can be dam annoying, and battling the perceptions of the collective can be a bastard!