2015-05-14 02:04:48

I'm not positive this is in the right category: it might need to be moved. In the meantime though...
    I'm sure some people here have heard of the Empire mud codebase. For those of you that have, the new version is out and has a very impressive player base with a new set of features.

For those who haven't. Empire mud is a game that doesn't follow the idea of most muds. You do play a single character of course, but it's not so much hack and slash. Imagine a browser game like Travian or another empire builder, except on a mud. Players are dropped into the middle of the wilderness and from there, you begin to specialize in skills and build yourself a city. When I say wilderness, I mean it. You need a hand axe to chop wood? Chip two rocks together and make one. Need a weapon? Chip down an axeblade and make a spearhead, carve a handle and make a spear. Eventually this leads to a variety of character types, including the warlord, the empire designer who build everything from the grannaries to the barracks to the sorcery towers, and even less common types such as the assassin, the druid and the artisan, who crafts the empire's weapons, armor and tools.
    More specifically, this mud caters very, very much to those here who enjoy crafting, building cities, empires, and so on. It also has rp for those with that bent, as well as diplomatic relations, trade and of course war. There's pvp here for those that want it, exploration and just about everything in between.
    Empire mud is in beta mode, and just went up about a month ago. Despite this, the player base is already around 50, and empires are springing up. The mud was not created with any preexisting cities, so everything has been built by players. On that note, the economy is not fixed, and makes for some very interesting commerce. You can mint coins, but a hated enemy might not put any value on them. You can trade in solid gold bars, but who's to say how much they're worth?
Finally, this mud is very screen reader friendly. I myself was a part of the accessibility design decisions in the early Alpha stage, and so can attest that the mud staff here is very accessibility conscious.

Come give the mud a try. If you join, send either Ragnar or Sevrior a tell and I can give you some starting tips. Also, my empire is always looking for recruits, and we have high places for you to go.
Come join.
empiremud.net port 4000

2015-05-14 04:08:33

this technically isn't really a new release, haha its been around on the exact same address for months now
but hey I'm just nitpicking, lol

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2015-05-14 07:55:45

hi all, i registered, but when i trying to type newbie hi all, it say uh? what i can to do to say to newbie channel? please help! i was questing for help in ooc, but you, sevria, you doesn't listenning to me.

2015-05-14 08:39:42

Try
/ooc Hi all
instead of
newbie Hi All

I'm not 100% sure that's the right command, but it seems like this Mud has the Ooc channel instead of newbie.  And for some reason, I'm thinking there's a slash in front of it.

2015-05-14 09:40:19

Hi:
That's right. Most channels require a / first. Not all, but most. So /newbie will work, as will /ooc. You can type /history and channel name to review the last messages on said channel. For instnace: /hist newbie.
I'm off and on during the night, depending on what time I end up going to bed, so if I don't respond but am on, it's probably because I'm afk. Keep trying though, there are plenty of other players online, and if I see a question I'll answer.

2015-05-14 11:17:27

Hi.
I really like this mud.

I'm not a fan of muds usually but thought I'd give this ago, it's nice.

I'm gone for real :)

2015-05-14 12:37:04

Well as to the forum, while empire mud itself has been around for some time, this is a new release and the first major topic I think we've had about it, so okay.

Unfortunately, I must say I was rather put off the game recently by the creator's less than stellar attitude. I was looking for a place to start my empire and asking on the newbie channel, sinse everywhere I looked was heavily populated already and the only advice I was getting was "look on the graphical map", frankly wandering aroun for close to three hours real time walking and having to rest just to try and find somewhere to start my empire was getting severely on my whick.

I did suggest perhaps that there should be an easier way to find teretory that already wasn't heavily taken up, however then the creator sent me a tell and instead of being helpful  first gave me a major tongue lashing for "complaining on a public channel" and then said "well if you don't like the game don't play"

When i explained that my issue was in fact that I loved! the look of the game in terms of it's crafting, skills, resources gathering  and what not and was just trying to find a place to start playing (something which as I said I'd been attempting to do for three hours at this stage), the creator just repeated "well don't complain on the public channels"

On the one hand, I would guess that now  things are starting up it's much easier to find space for your empire. On the other I'm not entirely convinced I want to try a game again where I got such a bad response from the game's developer just for looking for assistance.

of course, he could've just had a bad day, people do on occasion, but still, for someone who has played and started and tried out a hole bunch of games I wasn't exactly pleased, and it wasn't as if I was all "hay, dis gam so0rs cos des n0 space, @%$#$" or similar.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-05-14 14:09:38

Hello there! Dark, you can always try the nearby command to tell if there's any relevant buildings around you. A nice thing to do is to use transport on a starting tower and then nearby, if there are few buildings around, chances are that you will find available land to start on. I'm Rean Wolfclaw in the mud, and you can reach me if you need. I also play as Aedan, which is my second char. As for the staff, the bad greeting you probably had it is maybe due to other people abusing on keep asking the same question over and over. Unfortunately, we need to say something like: "Hello, I can not see the map for I'm blind in real life..." for them to magically forget about all the problems of their bad day. Well, sorry about my ironic self showing up again, but I sometimes simply don't get why things like this tend to happen.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2015-05-14 15:12:41

I also love this mud, and have been getting into it quite a bit lately.
Dark, I think the owner must have just been having a bad day. I remember when I first started in alpha, I was having trouble, and when I asked on the newbie channel, the first response I got was to look at the graphical map, but when I explained that I used a screen reader and that wasn't really helpful, he sent me a tell and gave me some suggestions as to where I could go.
I have a few characters on there, if anyone has any questions. I'm akira, kazuki, and mandas. My empire, tenchi, is also always recruiting members, and we're willing to help people get started.

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

2015-05-14 17:38:54

Well the reception was unexpected. I don't mind the "go and look at the map" and explaining that i'm blind, after all  it's not as if I haven't had to go through similar things before particularly when working out access with various games, what rather put me off was the personalized bollocking from the developer himself. i've run across developers who catagorically reffuse any access requests and developers who ignore the business, and indeed with the very nice scan options in empire and the section on the main site on access I knew I wasn't looking at either of those reactions.

but I've rarely run into developers who are actively and personally unpleasant when I ask questions about access.

As I said I'm willing to put it down to the dev having a bad day and giving the thing another chance, but it wasn't exactly a positive experience big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-05-14 18:25:17

Dark:
Just to clarify, you're sure it was the same Empire mud that is referenced here? The Empire mud codebase is public, and so there are a lot of clones of it out there. This one is the original and in active development, but there are a great number of "empire" muds.

Still, if it was the same mud, your experience sounds unusual. I would strongly recommend giving it another try, as I haven't seen much of that attitude in the time I've been here.

2015-05-14 20:35:56 (edited by hadi.gsf 2015-05-14 20:51:34)

Dark, as Sevrior said, are you sure that you're playing empire mud at empiremud.net?
The creater of this game, Paul, made lots and lots of improvements in this game for screen readers.  He even implemented a text-based short map that looks very cool, and allows you to  inspect your shortmap like a sighted player.
He and his team always looked very kind toward blind players; In fact in the alpha phases he used to help me to find a good location for building.
Remember though; Apparently he was looking to hire some imortals to watch over the game, Maybe those were the new ones being a jerk. I'm still amazed at the feedback you got, Paul is one of the most helpful and friendly mud developers i have met.

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2015-05-14 20:49:54

Here's a message you get while registering:
EmpireMUD makes heavy use of an ascii map, but also supports screen
readers for the visually impaired. This will replace the map with a short
description of what you can see in each direction on the world map. This
option is only recommended for players using screen readers. You can see
HELP SCREEN READER once you're in the game for more information.
Are you using a screen reader (y/n)?

After you are in the game, type help screen reader
I personally increase my map size to the max so i could see my surroundings as far as possible.
I just re joined this game after the player wipe, So i myself should look to do things in the game. Maybe one of the strategies is to find a nice guy and join his empire, learn the map a bit, then build a city of your own in that current empire with the help of them. or, after a while split off and go make your own empire. there are too many things to do in this game regarding management, but  the big challenge is the map as dark just said; How ever that can be solved in game with a little bit of help

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2015-05-14 23:46:14

@dark I get where you're coming from as far as getting a poor reception putting you off a game. I'm kind of the same way and if that happens I generally do not go back, we'll see as I am a newbie on there right now. I'm in there now, just started.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2015-05-14 23:47:05

I'm afraid that yes, I am certain it was! empire mud at empiremud.net that I played, I checked the website out first and it mentioned the version 2.0 and player wipe. I also did find the text scanning and screen reader access very good, the main trouble I had was finding new teretory to start up my own empire sinse I am never really one to join someone else's and like to do things from the start myself, however as I said I looked around for three solid hours and could find no where that wasn't already amazingly heavily populated.

I also do believe it was the game's creator I spoke to who gave me the less than friendly reception as well, though as I said anyone can have a bad day and I did certainly like the look of the game, indeed it may be the fact that there was!  such a need for a player wipe which caused new teretory to be so hard to come by.

I will see though about giving the game another try at the weekend sinse I certainly liked the idea behind it, and unlike Wayfar1444, it did strike me the game would remain interesting even after you've found your location and built up your empire sinse there was so much else to add from sorcery, to combat, to road building and even making your own navy.

2015-05-26 21:09:48

Hi. I just want to ask one question. I'm rarely seen on this forum but here's the question. Is this mud only text-based or does it have soundpacks for mushclient/VIPMud? I know it maybe a newish mud thus things like that might still be a bit far off, but it might be interesting if indeed there were soundpacks for this.

To know, and not to do, is not to know.

2015-05-27 06:14:47 (edited by KG4RDF 2015-05-27 16:06:31)

I would love to try this. It sounds like my kind of game and I thought WayFar kind of let me down. It seemed a bit too easy. However, I can't even create a character because all it says when I connect is to enter my character name. I tried the obvious. "New," "create," and just simply the letter N. None worked. This is a really critical thing to be able to get new players. Why this was over-looked, I will never understand...

Edit: Someone told me to just enter the name I want and it will tell me if it's available then let me continue with character creation. This seems obvious now that I know, but it would still be a good idea to include a couple of sentences explaining this upon connect so that others don't have this issue.

My opinions are my own. I try not to state them as facts and if I'm not sure about something, I do whatever research I can. I feel everyone should consider doing the same.

2015-07-26 17:38:55

Hi all! I'm a newbie too, but I have a question. How to get out of that newbie island?

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts. There are seven words that will make a person love you. There are ten words that will break a strong man's will. But a word is nothing but a painting of a fire. A name is the fire itself."

2015-07-27 23:39:54

Hey hey!
Is there a nice first steps tutorial somewhere? I think i would try this but i dont have a plan what to do first.

2015-07-27 23:59:59

it seems fun but its like one of those info spammers and its confusing otherwise I'd love to get into it.

End racism
End division
Become united

2015-07-30 15:31:30

Hey, now that I'm starting to get a handle, I invite yall to join my empire, Aeleria, and let's build from the ground up. I've been hard at work getting the layout done and some buildings up, let's kick some ass, join today, and get a warm fuzzy feeling, contact Brendt in game.

End racism
End division
Become united

2015-07-31 21:11:02

Just wanted to let you guys know, the empire is coming along nicely, if you have any interest in joining, contact Brendt in game. The address is empiremud.net port 4000

End racism
End division
Become united

2015-08-06 17:29:44

I'm surprised this topic hasn't gained much interest, anyway, I'm advertizing for people to join my empire once again, we need people.

End racism
End division
Become united

2015-08-06 17:36:32

still can't even get to settle my area...sadly

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2015-08-06 18:18:03

oh?, all you need to do is cut down some trees away from other places and start building.

End racism
End division
Become united