2015-05-04 19:39:17

Hi. I'm trying to install the latest gnome-shell on vinux 3.0. Whenever I run sudo apt-get install gnome-shell, some of the packages will download, but I get a 404 error when trying to download a specific package (I'm not sure which one). Is there any way to install the latest gnome shell?

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2015-05-04 21:10:14

Hi,
I don't think so. Getting a 404 means that the package no longer exists, which indicates that gnome-shell is un-installable.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-05-05 02:23:24

Vinux is up to 4.0 last I checked.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2015-05-05 02:45:41

@Blindncool, as far as I know there is no way to install gnome-shell, certainly not the latest, on Vinux 3.0. For that I would strongly recommend upgrading to Vinux 4, or even better one of the betas of Vinux 5. Is there any particular reason why you are using Vinux 3 which is extremely old software?

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2015-05-05 04:23:04

I'm using Vinux 3.0 because it's the only version that I could get sound to work with in Vmware player.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2015-05-05 11:46:08

@Blindncool, that's strange. Although, I don't run my Linux installs through VMWare Player I wonder if you might be able to get sound to work for an up to date version of Ubuntu Gnome. Said reason being is that Ubuntu Gnome comes with a fairly current version of Gnome-Shell and is the quickest and easiest way to get a Linux system up and running with Gnome. I don't think they have Gnome 3.16 packages yet, but I do know some people a running Gnome 3.14 on it.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com