2007-09-16 00:54:40

Hi guys
Has anybody played the user created missions for lone wolf? If yes, I have some questions because I haven't
bought it yet:
1. Have this missions theier own sounds and music?
2. Does the enemies or your crew speak itself sometimes?
3. Are there audiomovies in the missions? I mean some sequences to introduce or for the story itself.
4. What are your opinions about the missions?
Thanks for your answers.
regards
Niklas

2007-09-16 01:42:36

Hi Niclas.

on the down side, I'm afraid the missions don't introduce any new audio or extra scenes into the game. they are the same format plot wise as the missions you get with the game Ie, you get a briefing about your mission and have to go and carry it out.

On the pluss side however, the missions feature some very interesting enemies and conditions, ----- like enemies with better detection equipment, or giving you torpedos that targit the enemies more efficiently. the missions also vary in type, there's not just the "Destroy X Y Z" type of mission, but also protecting convoys or ships or bases, getting to certain areas before the enemy attacks, delivering things from one point to the other etc.

the missions are all about changes in playing the game, rather than in the sounds or new audio. If you like the first two missions, -------- particularly the 2nd, sinse it's more representatative of how the game works, you'll enjoy the user created ones, ----- I certainly do, though I'm pretty pathetic at Lone wolf in general and quite often end up in Davy Jones' locker.

raul gillegos used to have some very nice audio walkthroughs for Lone wolf available on his site. Unfortunately their not there anymore, but maybe you could get somebody who's got them to mirror them for you so that you can get an idea of how some of the other missions besides the first two go.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-09-16 07:22:23

A demo is better than a review, though I recall they had an audio demonstration of the second mission... at least some of it, to give you a feel for it.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-09-16 09:18:27

As I just said, Raul gillegos, the same shap who did the shades and Superliam walkthroughs used to have full runs for all the Lw missions on his site. Unfortunately though, it's gone down so you'd have to find somebody to mirror it.

Generally though as Cx2 said, your best off trying the game, ----- especially as there's no time limit on the demo.

While I really enjoy the game and don't regret buying it in the least, I will say that I don't personally find it too easy. It's certainly a game that you need quite a bit of pacience for.

On the pluss side though, nobody can say that the game is too syplistic or short.

I probably need to make another attempt at some of those missions myself.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-09-16 12:44:04

Admittedly this is just from the demo, but I found the AI even on the hardest setting a little predictable. So long as you stay at 40 feet at no more than one quarter engines and don't use pings, torpedoes, ballast or periscope they seem unable to detect you.

I have memory of mainstream submarine games and I just don't feel the same tension. Perhaps the challenge in LW is more the planning though, which I could easily believe.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-09-16 14:00:22

The main trouble I personally find in Lw is plotting the targit angles, especially for the ships moving at high speed. I'll admit, I'm not the most spacially ccoordinated person in the world, which probably explains why I'm not great at this. As I said, I need to have another major bash at the game, as thus far I've only managed to complete a few of the missions on the easiest setting, ----- I even once managed to crash into a ship on the first mission, ----- how bad is that!