2015-06-25 23:20:45

There are many situations where I could see the mouse being beneficial. What if JAWS couldn't read something that you need to know, and the mouse can only be used to look at it? What if you needed sighted assistance? With JAWS, you couldn't click it after the mouse is moved over to it, because the cursor of jAWS does not follow the mouse. With NVDA you could click it, heck, even move the mouse over to that spot yourself, because mouse-tracking is enabled. Another situation, certain parts of Microsoft products aren't accessible to JAWS, but are accessible to NVDA, because of mouse-tracking.

2015-06-25 23:44:33

@afrim;

I've never had a need to use JAWS' virtual mouse, so I can't say how well it works or not, I just know it's there, if needed.

Unless Microsoft makes the Metro interface optional, I have no plans to upgrade beyond Windows 7, so I probably won't need the touch mouse. At least not for a while anyway.

@all;

Just so nobody gets the wrong idea, I have nothing against NVDA and in fact plan to try it and see how I like it compared to JAWS. Who knows? I could end up switching to NVDA!

My objection is that this is supposed to be a sane discussion comparing the two screen readers, but some people are being so fanatical about their  preference for NVDA that they fail to see JHAWS' good points. Truthfully, it's not as bad as they'd like you to believe.

2015-06-26 06:21:25

hi there, again time for me to put my 2 paws in to the mix here. jaws has its good points, and so does NVDA, but the blazing facts that, jaws is no longer what it was, stil remains, its over sized, its programming code is over bloated,
its held together by patches and repatches and bug fixes of bugs that was fixed. and broke, and features, that could have been implimented 3 or 4 versions ago. only gets baked in after 1 majour versions release. 
those whose in the no, will no what i am talking about. those who understands about over sized files. needless code, way to big vidio mirroring display drivers. wil no what i am on about here. o, and the person who mensioned the pc techs having a hard time ware jfw mest up his screen. u wil no what i am talking about here as well. but, all these things aside, if jaws works for you. let it continue to do so. but, if you feel it does not.
believe me, NVDA is the way to go. it just saddens, me to no. that jfw can be so much better, trust me on that. if FS really wanted to? they could make this a beautiful product to be prowed of
to own. a product that. wil not mess with the way a pc interacts in a sighted user/corpret environment. a product who, has the prowed technical support. teem, who, does not give u a repertition of a email saying. sorry we cant help you because you must only deel with your local dealers in your cuntry. a teem, who takes the end user in mind, who has to leagaly  liecence jaws to work on his pc's. instead of being treated like a pyrot.
Would I use jaws again. most defenatly, i continue to test it until this day. but every time i look at it, i see stagnation. and tag along features hooked on to it, but yes. jaws is powerful in some areas. i grant you that.
but technology mooves on.
and if FS does not wake up. they might find there sharky stranded on the beech some day.
that wil be a sad day indeed.
If I may use a slight variation of the  quote from grafindors signiture.
there's no more a sadder sentence,  in tung or pen, then, it might have been.

There's a place for me in this universe.

2015-06-26 07:54:04

@GeneWarner
I think all should be treated the same, both you who use windows 7, vista or XP, and all the others who use windows 8.1, windows 10, or whatever version of windows up to 8.1. Believe me, mouse is needed. Metro apps need mouse support, although they could update them with some shortcuts and everything would be fine for all.

@Fly by, ciao!
The point that jaws is oversized doesn't stand so much. Gone are the days when we used harddisks built in 15 or 30 GB. Most modern computers will come with 200, 320 or 500 GB of memory, and 120 MB doesn't cost so much I think. Remember that if you download a good voice of those from Nuance, they will vary from 250 to 400 MB, which is almost twice as size of Jaws. I will agree that the mirror driver causes some problems to your system's screen, but at least is stronger than the one of NVDA. When an action is in progress and it provides percentage, like when you install a program, or when you copy files, jaws will handle it better and you can do another job in your computer. While NVDA Will face problems doing this. This happens to my copy of NVDA.

2015-06-26 09:05:30

hi afrim,
just to clarify on the size issue. there are cuntries in the world. that stil has what we call, capt internet. this meens that you pay for every bite of data you consume on the internet. i was refering to the default install package size for jaws. the other voice sizes u mension. is what i consider luckshuary voices. i most certenly conceed that, size is not a huge issue as what it was before. how ever it stil is a very important issue. because. if u take size, as well as memory foot print in to consideration. jfw stil consumes more. then other screan readers.
i can say though. i am looking forward to test jaws sixteen in windows 10. once sixteens ready for prime time. i'd love to stack up NVDA as well. and see how things goes.
some fun times lays ahead.

also, as for handeling progress bars. could you clarify for me, how NVDA does not handel it correctly, I stand corrected but i think there's 2 settings. the 1 tells nvda only to reed the progress bar if u got focus to the ap. but, say if u select for nvda to beep or speek back ground progress bars. then, you can basically alt tab away from say, the windows file coppying dialogue. and u wil stil no how far it is. its quite fun if u download multaple files. and u here the bars beep for all of them. smile.

There's a place for me in this universe.

2015-06-26 12:05:06

So where's the comparison? I thought there was going to be an unbiased, honest, comparison of both program's strengths and weaknesses. Instead what we've got are a couple of intolerant NVDA fan boys telling us all about the weaknesses of JAWS. That's fine, they're entitled to their opinion. But what's strange is that for all that they say about JAWS, they say almost nothing about NVDA. I wonder why.

2015-06-26 13:13:44

NVDA has some weaknesses. First of all is the synthesizer ESpeak, which sounds robotic, although it supports many languages compared to eloquence. But at least eloquence is great. I've noticed that they are not making any update to eloquence since jaws 13, and I don't like this. For example, british English is so bad there, Italian isn't so good. NVDA crashes faster when other programs do. Navigating on the internet with NVDA is boring. Reading books or documents with NVDA isn't bad, but it is not as good as reading them with jaws. NVDA provides the eloquence, but it is not so much integrated compared to Jaws. Jaws eloquence will read more words which are shortened for example, (E T C, etc ), (E S C, esc), (C T R L, ctrl) etc.
They can be added to the dictionary; but remember that they are too much and you cannot remember all.
When other programs crash while you work with NVDA, the synthesizer will read everything while you try to stop it, but it will not do. It is very difficult to make it stop until you open jaws or force close it without using a screen reader. Mouse support on NVDA is not fully integrated with touchpads built-in Laptops. It is true that you can choose to beap while you move your finger around the mouse so that you can better concentrate, but that won't help. At least I can't use it.

2015-06-26 14:16:18

Hi, Jaws can read those short words because they are already added into the dictionary. If you look at jaws's dictionary entries, then you'll see that there are lots, and lots of entries. I think that's a waste of time though, they can do without those entries.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2015-06-26 15:18:29

Hello,
You don't need to start jaws to quit nvda. Just create a shortcut to nvda.exe, assign a hotkey to it, and when you press that hotkey, ctrl alt n for example, the program restarts automatically. It's about 5 seconds.

This is not a signature.

2015-06-26 15:59:54

Also the hotkey and shortcut is created by default.

I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2015-06-26 20:04:36

burak wrote:

Hi, Jaws can read those short words because they are already added into the dictionary. If you look at jaws's dictionary entries, then you'll see that there are lots, and lots of entries. I think that's a waste of time though, they can do without those entries.

That is an opinion, not neccessarily a weakness. Besides, the dictionary is editable, just delete them if you don't like them.

dhruv wrote:

Hello,
You don't need to start jaws to quit nvda. Just create a shortcut to nvda.exe, assign a hotkey to it, and when you press that hotkey, ctrl alt n for example, the program restarts automatically. It's about 5 seconds.

That's common sense anyway, I put a hot key on all the JAWS shortcuts. If anything happens that crashes JAWS or you need to exit JAWS for whatever reason, it's the only way you can restart JAWS without having to do a restart of Windows.

2015-06-26 20:21:58

Dhruv and Burak, I know that there can be created a shortcut on the desktop to start, restart or open the context menu, but I'm using NVDA as a portable version. Haven't tried it though. and Thanks for the suggestion.

2015-06-26 21:16:35

That's interesting, you should instal it for better Access  to the logon screen and secure desktops.

2015-06-26 21:21:45

burak wrote:

That's interesting, you should instal it for better Access  to the logon screen and secure desktops.

What if its a sighted user's computer that doesn't want software they don't need on their computer?

2015-06-26 21:22:50

Then he shouldn't install it, that's very obvious

2015-06-26 21:45:35

I have already jaws installed there, and my brother who uses my computer as well knows how to exit it smile
The same can be for NVDA

2015-06-26 23:00:49

one of the things that got added in jaws 16 was the force quit option for jaws. I don't remember the exact keystroke, but what this does is if you are having a problem with jaws or it is hanging, you can force quit it with this keystroke, which completely unloads it from memory. Also, if jaws hangs for 20 or 30 seconds now, it restarts automaticly.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2015-06-27 01:58:39

burak wrote:

Then he shouldn't install it, that's very obvious

I guess my point wasn't so obvious, what I meant was, Maybe he's using the portable version because he can't install NVDA on that machine, inwhich case, your suggestion that he install it instead of using the portable version is pointless.

2015-06-27 16:12:36

As I've said earlier, I plan to try NVDA to see if I like it better than JAWS. What I'd like to know is, how difficult will adjusting to NVDA be, I mean, are their commands similar or quite different. I ask because if their very different, it may not be worth learning a new system to accomplish basically the same thing.

2015-06-27 18:32:43

Hi, If you are using the laptop layout, you will need to learn new commands. If you're using the desktop layout, then the most of the commands are similar. You need to learn the NVDA currsor though, that took some time for me.

2015-07-04 12:37:04

I am in the process of building a new Windows installation on a SSD. Until I joined these forums, I didn't know anything about NVDA,.

So, while I am learning NVDA, I'll post the differences I see between the two.

Right now I have two issues with NVDA, the first anhd most important, it doesn't work with the file manager I prefer. It apparently can't see anything in the file manager's window. Hopefully this is just a matter of getting NVDA configured so that it will work with my file manager. If this can't be fixed, that's a deal breaker right there, my learning to use NVDA would be limited to just those areas where I want a feature it has that JAWS doesn't. Instant translation for example for playing those Japanese games. I'll keep using JAWS for most of my computing needs.

The other issue is more of a what I'm used to thing, put simply, I don't like the way you navigate through HTML in NVDA When I first started using NVDA, I could have sworn that the arrow keys skipped over things like lists instead of browsing through them. To get to the entries in the lists, I had to switch to another set of keys to get to the entries. JAWS was just the opposite, if you want to skip over something, that's when you used keys other than your normal navigation keys.

One feature in JAWS that I have yet to find in NVDA is that you can customize JAWS' behavior for each program you use, JAWS does have default settings that are used until you adjust something for a specific program. For most programs the global setting are fine, but every once in a while you find a setting you want different but only for one particular program. So far, all I've found in NVDA are global settings, but I've only started looking at it. I'd have to believe it's there somewhere. As I've found in JAWS, one set of settings isn't going to work for all the programs you might use on your computer.

That's all for now, as I learn more about NVDA, I'll compare it to what I know of JAWS here.

I hope somebody will find it useful.

2015-07-04 13:48:42

Hi.

I don't understand about the file manager. Why not just use the my computer thing and go from there? I don't know                     what a file manager is but i'm guessing it's a way to manage files smile

As for NVDA skipping over things; I've not seen this myself, saying that though; I've been using NVDA for so long that I've probably seen it and forgot about it.

I can't help you on profile settings since if I want something changed I change my settings myself.

I'm gone for real :)

2015-07-04 17:43:09

brad wrote:

I don't understand about the file manager. Why not just use the my computer thing and go from there? I don't know                     what a file manager is but i'm guessing it's a way to manage files smile

You've never use a file manager call Norton Commander for DOS. It is what is called a dual pane file manager. Imagine two instances of Windows Explorer side by side on your screen. Pressing the tab key noves your cursor from windows to the other. Each window os pointing at the contents of a different directory. Now you can chose a single file, selct multifiles, or use a pattern to select files. Then with a single key stroke, copy or move those files to the directory in the other window, delete the files, or pack them into a zop file with the zip file going into the directory in the other window. It a very fast and intuitive way to do general file maintenance. The file manager I use is dual pane file manager just like Norton Commander for DOS, but this one is for Windows. Dual pane file managers must be popular because there are quite a few of them. The one I use is called Altap Salamander, if you want to know more, you can go to their web site here: http://www.altap.cz

brad wrote:

I can't help you on profile settings since if I want something changed I change my settings myself.

I don't understand, how does changing your settings yourself prevent you from helping other people? And I don't recall asking for help anyway. I may be blind, but I am far from helpless. I wouldn't ask you for help anyway, By the way you phrased your remarks, it's obvious that you have no interest in helping other people, so I won't inconvenience you.

2015-07-04 19:23:52

We are bound to go on the fifth page, aren't we? smile smile

2015-07-04 20:01:18

Hello.
@geneWarner
The problem with NVDA skipping over lists may be due to the fact that the "use screen layout" setting is turned on. Try and turn it off by pressing NVDA+V (that's insert with the desktop layout and capslock with the laptop layout). See if that fixes the HTML issue. As to the issue with a file manager, I have always used Windows Explorer and have not used a file manager except on note takers. What OS do you have? If it's Windows 7 I could try and download it and see if I can duplicate your issue. Also, what NVDA version do you use?
Thank you, and I hope that turning use screen layout off fixes your issue.