2015-05-13 10:30:57

hi Brad,
here is your via voice:
http://grossgang.com/tts/old_software_s … oquence.7z

2015-05-13 13:36:10

Hi.

When i open the link it says eliquence not via voice.

Thanks though that site is quite nice. What do I do with the unziped folder?

I mean where do I put things?

I'm gone for real :)

2015-05-13 15:33:49

You've got me then. big_smile anyways, you could try yourself on this site:
http://grossgang.com
Hope that you'll find what you're looking for there.
Socheat

2015-05-13 16:00:05

Hi.

Thanks. I've already looked there but thanks for the site. smile

2015-05-14 02:49:36

You're most welcome.

2015-05-14 23:03:35

Hello,

If you're wanting the one I have, it was called viaVoice Outloud.

Thanks,

Brandon

2015-05-15 16:12:53

Hi brad and sochiet
which voice are you talking about is this the more inhanced version of eloquence?
Thanks
ishan

life's battle do not always go to the stronger and faster man,
But sooner or later who win the one who thinks he can!

2015-05-15 16:21:13

Hi.

The one we're talking about is called ViaVoice outlowd.

2015-05-16 03:01:18

Well, I finally got the voice myself.

2015-05-16 08:20:11

Hi.

Oh you did? where did you get it from?

And what do you do with the folder once it's downloaded?

2015-05-16 12:16:00 (edited by Socheat 2015-05-16 12:17:08)

hi,

I got it from jake's website.
however, I have uploaded to my dropbox. you need to use 7-zip or WinRAR to extract the folder.
here is a link to it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/agyjb1zyh2y6d … 4.zip?dl=1
thanks

2015-05-16 14:50:50

hi.

It works... Kind of. Are you having trouble with the symth, when you load it? sometimes it says cannot load symthersizer. Or it loads but starts spelling out words instead of sspeeking normaly. And for some reason it's in chinese and not english. I've tried looking in the voices dialog but when I press up and down arrows, it either goes quiet or gets to the end of the chinese voices and then stops working when I press down arrow, what i mean is I don't hear anything.

2015-05-16 18:32:32

Hi there
I installed this and it works very good. But I like more the new versions of eloquence.

Brad, if you get Chinese speaking, or like me, who got Spanish talking, just go in the voice settings menu after you've selected Microsoft sappy 4 synthesizer and in the Variant section press the home key, and you will hear the American English. Then you can move through the voices and different variants.

Hope it helps.

2015-05-16 20:02:55

Alright, here are my thoughts on this.

As for jaws, I'm running 15, so maybe what I have to say regarding jaws could be considered invalid.
The reasons I like NVDA better than jaws are:
1. NVDA is light weight and portable. I can just grab a copy, load it to a USB drive, and pretty much run it on any computer with Windows I want to.
2. To obtain a fully functional copy of it, and that also means no demo restrictions, takes a maximum of four or five minutes, depending on how your computer feels like acting that day.
3. It hardly takes up any memory at all. It runs quickly, at least on my machines. Even though I don't like ESpeak much, there are plenty off equally portable, quick speech synthesizers out there for NVDA.
4. NVDA has only been developed for nine years, and useable for seven. But despite this, NV Access has implemented a lot, of features. And with three or four updates per year, users of it are always getting new features and bug fixes.
5. The mouse navigation, or I think it's called that anyway. It's whatever you're moving with NVDA+shift+arrow key on a laptop. That, in conjunction with left clicking, right clicking, and focusing the mouse has helped me a lot when encountering programs that were not accessible with the regular keyboard.
6. I find NVDA to work better when I code. Even though Jaws anounces line numbers, it's still a pain because it will sometimes skip the text of a line or speak a graphic after it.
7. When navigating folders, or browsing for files, or going through a list, I might here something like:
"Graphic 680 graphic 632 Documents"
Whereas with NVDA, I never have this issue.
8. I find that when opening word Pad on my computer with Jaws, Jaws crashes sometimes, and I have to restart it. This can be very, annoying.
9. It is possible to play games with NVDA without turning it off. This is not possible with JAWS.
Issues I have with NVDA but not with jaws.
1. Sometimes, even if I'm just accessing a menu, NVDA will freeze for a second, and then go into this mode where I have to restart it because it speaks whatever text you tell it to, and you cannot stop it with the control key. Furthermore, NVDA key does not work.
  The good thing with this, however, is that when I press windows D and hit "nvda" to get to the shortcut, I can open the shortcut and NVDA restarts itself.
2. Jaws opens in a window. So if there happens to be an issue, you are usually able to scroll over to the window and close it, no matter if the Jaws key is working or not.
3. I find that Jaws doesn't have the same issue where it totally freezes up like NVDA does.

Those are just my comparisons, how both affect my life, since I use each on basically a day to day basis. I didn't read the topic before posting this, so I'm sorry if I interrupted some other conversation, but I just hit reply as soon as coming to the topic.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-05-17 03:58:45

that bug's been around for a while now, no idea why they haven't tracked it down yet but if you have a shortcut key for NVDA or have the icon on your desktop its pretty easy to fix, these days whenever I get it I can have it fixed up in about 10 seconds

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2015-05-17 20:06:26

Hello,

Does anyone know why NVDA has some focus issues in Windows 7 and above?
That's my only real problem with it, other than sometimes, on my old computer it seems to make the fan run kind of high sometimes.

Are there workarounds for these issues? I mean, I don't know if the fan running high is a result of NVDA but if it is, do you know of any things I can do to fix it?
I know about the command line options for NVDA which I haven't used too much so these might help.

Thanks,

Brandon

2015-05-18 00:59:13

Hi btman,
  will you please explain the focus issues you are having? I'm not quite sure what is going on but perhaps I could help you.
As for the fan getting higher, does the computer run slowly when it does that? if so, it's probably not NVDA, I think it is another program, such as internet explorer, or maybe you visit a webpage or open a file that makes your computer work a lot. I find that when I go to weather bug, my fan gets high, it freezes sometimes, but alt f4 and the fan slows again.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-05-18 12:49:08

Hello,

The computer doesn't run slowly when this happens.

This computer originally came with Vista way back when we got it around 2007 or so.
It's got 4 gb of ram.
I updated it from windows 7 to 10 technical preview.

Thanks,

Brandon

2015-06-23 23:58:38

I'm currently using JAWS mainly because at the time I bought it, I didn't know of NVDA. Other than being rather expensive, I don't have any real complaints about JAWS, it does its job and does it rather well.

If I did have complaints, it would be to the developers of some programs that don't bother to even try to make their programs accessable. I used to use H&R Block's Tax Cut to file my tax returns each year, but after I lost my vision and had to use a screen reader, I found that both Tax Cut and Intuit's Turbo Tax were invisible to JAWS. It could see their window, but couldn't see anything in them making the programs unusable.

Mainly because of its cost, before my maintenance agreement for JAWS runs out, I plan to try both the built-in accessability tools in Windows, and NVDA. I may be able to afford JAWS, but that doesn't mean I'm opposed to saving money.
[OT rant]
I find it disturbing that some people here seem to be condoning stealing JAWS for the inexcuseable reason that they think it costs too much. Yes, it is expensive and not everyone can afford it. If that's the case, then use NVDA rather than steal JAWS. Would you like it if somebody stole your work just because they thought you charged too much for it?
[/OT rant]

2015-06-24 07:41:36

I use NVDA for the many reasons mentioned above such as portability, small size, and not to mention that while you can make nvda go to sleep on certain applications, it's kind of pointless because it works very well in lots of games. And I am developing a game with the BGT engine and I have to remember to install this stupid keyhook in my code or Jaws users will not be happy. So I did that, and yet my friend who uses jaws still has to put the damn thing to sleep or turn it off. What the hell!!!

Sincerely:
John Follis
Check out my YouTube Channel.

2015-06-24 08:06:17

Yeah, I just discovered that about JAWS. I was having trouble with three games, Obsessive Compulsive, The Inquisitor, and Paladin of the Sky. Obessive Compulsive is written with the BGT engine, JAWS in sleep mode solved the keyboard problem, but..., unloading JAWS didn't solve the problems with Inquisitor, I Inquisitor's its problems are from the program itself, I don't know if the BGT engine was used in Paladin, but it suffers from the same problems Obessive Compulsive has, and is fixed the same way, again but...

What iare the buts about? Unloading or putting JAWS to sleep, means the game either has to be self voiced or use SAPI. Self voicing is fine, but SAPI sucks! The only SAPI voice I have is Anna, and its not a very good voice at that.

So given a choice, I'd much rather listen to JAWS' Eloquence over SAPI's Anna any day.

2015-06-24 08:30:54

Its a real pain to get jaws to work properly with audiogames because of its intrusive keyboard hooks.

I do like NVDA a lot more than jaws especially when dealing with large amount of content like a 1000 page book in a single html file. Jaws takes much, much longer to load the contents of the file into its virtual buffer, and even then navigation around the document is nothing short of agonizingly slow because of lag.

Unfortunately, I am still forced to stik with jaws because of its better support for some applications like visual studio.

2015-06-24 08:40:51

To put it as simplistically as I can, I still believe as I did years ago when I jumped on this debate that JFW, a screen reader that has been around for quite some time is for anyone and everyone who needs a screen reader, from the beginner to the elite.  It tackles much in the way of versatility and functionality.  It is, however, no longer worth it on the whole if you are willing to learn and adjust in some regards.  The amount of time it would take one to learn to use NVDA is nothing compared to the price of a screen reader who's aim is not to please the average consumer.
Wait, what, you ask?  Didn't you just get done saying this screen reader is for anyone and everyone?  Yes, I did, and the reason is that anyone and everyone needs to be able to use it at a moment's notice in corporate environments and in daily business dealings.  It's target crowdd, however, is not the average consumer or every day computer user.  It is a screen reader that is mainly being developed for those in the workforce and in the field of education.  It is a product which is paid for mainly by office executives, employers, providers of services for people with disabilities, and other such agencies, thus it does not suffer if we do not have it because it is being well funded by other large organizations, some which probably do so as the result of a long standing contract.  IN short, JFW is a product that exists both to benefit blind people in the corporate world and to market itself.
NVDA was developed for users by users.  Its development is influenced by you and me.  We can throw tons of suggestions at the devs, but we need to back them up with donations, because unlike JFW, NVDA is not funded by massive conglomerates, not owned by entrepreneurial individuals who have had various kinds of success owning businesses targeted at centralizing services for people with disabilities, and cannot stand without its community.  It's feature list is ritch to the point that other screen readers imitate it.  It's known for introducing ideas that are useful to those who use it well before they are ever introduced by the supposed leaders in the industry.  It does not tax systems, does not create immense amounts of registry entries, does not require possibly restarting your system to finish installing, does not take nearly as long to load up as JAWS or any other mainstream screen reader, does not require the user to jump through hoops to port the entirety of one's settings to any and every computer of the user's choosing, does not perform unreliably when switching to separate soundcards and audio interfaces, and finally, it does not, cost, me, a penny to do all of that and not have to deal with alternatives!  Do I recommend it to everyone?  Yes!  Is it for everyone?  No.  Just as the differences between Android and iOS accessibility are glaringly obvious, so to are the differences between our screen readers.  If you need to do things quickly while having your hand held, use JAWS.  It's god at that, and by no means is that intended to be an offensive statement, given that I myself like that concept at times when things need to be done quickly.  ON the other hand, if you need to save money, or simply prefer a faster and more responsive alternative that doesn't have features you realistically do not need, shoot for the free and awesome alternative that is NVDA.  I can usually throw it at any system and get good results.  It worked with windows 8 before it was even officially supported.
And now, for a true story, I bought an HP laptop and threw JAWS on it thinking that it might work better with windows 8 than NVDA would at the time.  FS was rather suggestive in the podcast I had recently heard concerning this issue and readily proclaimed that everything was working fine with the exception of the JAWS cursor.  A few days after my purchase I decided to take the PC to Tiger Direct to purchase another soundcard for it.  When they booted up the computer they took me over to it and asked in an apologetic tone, "Do you believe that the store you purchased this device from might have scammed you by any chance?  Because we're looking at this screen and it does not look right in the slightest, and moreover, for the specs it supposedly has on it, it's not responding anywhere near as quickly as it should."  I realized then that it is a true testament to a piece of screen reading software when tech minded people who work with technology on a regular basis can tell that your PC is behaving in a way it should normally not.  When JAWS was uninstalled and replaced with NVDA, the techies went to work without any frther comment.  The screen was normal, the desktop was actually entirely visible, and the machine was completely responsive.  Do you need any further convincing that there are huge differences?

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2015-06-24 09:02:57

One of my favorite features in JAWS is that it's configuration can be set up differently for each program you use as needed.

For most programs, the global configuration work just fine and doesn't need tweaking, but occasionally you'll run into a program where JAWS needs a little extra help telling it what to do.

For example, in the file manager I use, a Norton Commander clone, JAWS was always reading the graphics as "Graphic 8423, graphic 483, graphic 964" and so on. I knew these graphics it was referring to were just eye candy icon. Since I didn't need to hear these, I went into the JAWS configuration manager, and turned off the reading of graphics in my file manager. Problem solve, anoyance removed. and yet JAWS will still read graphics for all other programs, because the setting I changed only takes affect when my file manager has the focus or is the active window.

I would hope that it does, but, does NVDA have something like this?

I will agree that the way JAWS handles HTML is really crappy, Freedom Scientific says that browsing the internet is one of the most complex and troublesome sections in JAWS.

2015-06-24 09:32:51

I still love Jaws and I'm not going to change, at least for some other days, or probably never. smile
I'm very used to it and I like how it performs in Microsoft word, although when reading a large book is a bit disappointing. When I started too use jaws with my laptop at my school, everything changed. For nine years I had been using brail and the differences were huge.
Regarding Jaws crashes, I would say that the fault is sometimes on windows. I've seen programs like internet explorer or Mozilla crashing even when jaws was unloaded.
It's been said by me around 1 thousand times, and I think I will have to say it again.
Having a large number of features is a good thing. It makes it usable to a larger group of people and not only to a small extent. It becomes rather inclusive. If you do not like them, just try not to use them. But remember that Jaws isn't designed for a small group of people but mainly for all. It's not only for businesses or students at school. I find it very useful in daily usage.

@GeneWarner
As far as I know, jaws has dropped to 120 dollars, which isn't so much, is it?