2015-04-28 01:45:07

Hello y'all,
I was wondering how many people were interested in stenography. My interest came from the fact that I used to write in phonetics or phonemes when I was coding things for DECtalk and stuff like that, and I thought it would be interesting to do. I've heard of a programme out there called Steno CAT, but I'm not sure how accessible it is. I'm also unsure if you're supposed to use it with a stenotype keyboard, or if aa additional keyboard layout is included, sort of like the Dvorak keyboard layout.
I was also thinking that stenography could be used as a captioning tool for deaf-blind people as well, although I don't know if there's requirement to be certified through training for professional transcription, or if these things are also available for hobbyists and amateurs as well.
What are your thoughts?

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2015-04-28 21:26:58

I cannot type fast enough. I get about 80 WPM and thats not nearly good enough

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2015-04-28 22:13:54

I think eighty-WPM is fairly good. When was the last time you measured yourself? I type around eighty-five or ninety ona QWERTY keyboard. People can type faster on a Dvorak keyboard, at least by fifty WPM more than what the average QWERTY typost can type. A stenotype machine allows you to write even faster, almost up to 300 WPM.
Here's how it works. If you want to write the word fish, you press six keys at once, which is called a chord. The keys would be tp, which makes the F sound, eu, which makes the ih sound, and rb, which produces the sh sound. Some chords can also produce pre-programmed words and phrases, which the stenographer can customise.
Traditionally, stenograph paper has twenty-two columns, with an ordered list of letters from left to right. STKPWHRAO*EUFRPBLGTSDZ Noticed that there are letters that are repeated.
The word steno comes from the many possible theories and combinations used to come up with letters that stand for a specific sound. I think the problem is that there is no universal way to spell phonetically when just using letters, since letters represent consonants and vowels, and using phonetics to simplify this when one doesn't know the spelling of something, or if one is merely wanting to improve their pronunciation skills.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2015-04-29 00:51:46

I measured it a couple years back and I know people who can get into the 110 to 120 range on querty keyboards. That's interesting, i was not sure how that worked.

End racism
End division
Become united

2015-04-29 20:14:24

Well, there's a programme called Plover, which is supposed to work with certain keyboards or some steno machines. i'm not sure if the Wave Writer will work with it. I also found out that stenography could be used, similar to the Dvorak concept, to communicate at conversational speeds especially for people who can't speak or hear.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2015-04-29 21:09:27

Hmm, interesting. Although you would have to memorize all the phonemes.

End racism
End division
Become united

2015-04-29 22:30:44

two questions, one of which might be a bit off topic.
1. How can I measure how fast I type? what program can I use because I don't like those online inaccessible things.
2. what exactly is this stenography business? I'm interested, to know what it is.:)

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-05-01 22:45:20 (edited by Green Gables Fan 2015-05-03 10:28:46)

Hi Steve,
Have you checked out Talking Typer by The American Printing House, or Talking Typing Teacher by Marvel Soft? Those are rgreat programmes to try, although Talking Typing Teacher is probably better at this, even though it's more expensive and doesn't come with a demo.
Stenography is a form of short-hand writing, almost like texting. In classic stenography (i.e, no software), the paper that is printed lines up with the keys on the keyboard.
Yesterday I saw a steno machine. It almost looks like a typewriter and a brailler at the same time. There's a tray on the bottom of the keyboard.
You place your thumbs on the bottom row of vowel keys. Your index finger of the left hand will rest between h and R. The middle finger will rest between p and H. The ring finger will rest between t and k, and your little finger will rest on the S key. The index finger of the right hand will rest between f and r. The middle finger will rest between b and b. The ring finger will rest on the L and G keys, and your pinky will rest on the t and S keys. Your pinkey will also strike the d and Z keys. Refer to my later post on keyboard layout for more information.
The left hand prints all of the starting letters or consonants and vowels or sounds. Take the word fish, used in the above example. We'll consider the letters T and P, which makes the F sound. T and P are found in the initial syllable, so that means the left hand will strike those first.
The vowel that combines the short I sound, which is, ih, is produced by hitting the thumbs on e and U at the same time as the left hand hits T and P.
To top it all off, the right hand will write R and B, which makes the SH sound in the final part of the syllable.
Different combination of vowels produces long and short vowel sounds, diffdongs and spell differentiations, like two, too, and to.
The asterisk key is used to ignore a preevious error, the same way it's used on the internet.
So here's how a good layout would look like. On the left there is s, t, k, p, w, h and r. On the bottom the vowels are a, e, separated by the asterisk key, then o and u. On the right we have F, R, P, B, L, G, S, T, D, and Z.
You could spell with this machine, but the whole concept is based on writing the sounds of the word using a combination of letters, or just writing pre-programmed phrases by pressing one or two keys instead of four or six keys.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2015-05-03 02:09:58

aha, that sounds interesting. I've tried talking typer, yes, but it seems to teach me rather than just letting me test speed, and it costs money, of course. and same with typing teacher, I'll not try it because it costs money, and I know sited people get to do those free, online ones. I might end up programming something of my own--the virtues of being a programmer. tongue

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.

2015-05-03 09:53:13 (edited by Green Gables Fan 2015-05-03 10:25:11)

I just got more information, and I updated post no. 8 to reflect those changes. Evidently, the list I gave you corresponds to the columns of a steno paper. It's like putting those letters on top of the Braille paper. You punch the letters below each column so they line up properly.
The row below the number bar for the left hand is s, t, p and H.
The row below that for the left hand is s, k, w, r. Notice how the s key is present on both rows. In reality, the S key is in between the two rows.
Then we have the asterisk key.
The vowel keys are a, e, o, and u.
On the right hand we have f, p, l, t and d.
On the row below that for the right hand we have r, b, g, s, z.
Now get ready to learn some combos.
English Letter
Stenotype Letter
S, T, K, P, W, H, R, A, O, *, E, U, F, R, P, B, L, G, T, S, D, Z.
Example
Comments
Initial B
   PW
Initial C (Soft)
  K   R
cell
Use for soft c only
Initial CH
  K  H
Initial D
TK
Initial F
T P
Initial G
TKPW
Initial H
     H
Initial J
S K W R
Initial K
  K
call
Includes hard c
Initial L
     HR

Initial M
   P H

Initial N
T P H
Initial P
   P
Initial QU
  K W
Initial R
      R
are, our, hour
Initial S
S
is, whiz
Initial T
T
Initial V
S     R
Initial W
    W
Initial Y
  K W R
you
Initial Z
S *
Final consonants
Final B
  B
Final CH
     F P
Final D
      D
Final DZ
      DZ
friends
Use only for words that end with ds
Final F
     F
Final G
   G
Final J
PBLG
Final K
  B G
Final L
  L
Final M
P L
Final MP
     FRP
Final N
PB
Final NG
PB G
Final NJ
PB G
Final NK
  *    PB G
Final P
P
Final R
      R
Final RCH
     FRPB
Final RF
     FR B
Final RVE
     FR B
Final S
     S
Final SH
      R B
Final T
    T
Final V
  *  F
Final X
  B G S
Final Z
Z
Final SHUN
   G S
Final KSHUN
  *     B G S
punctuation: Comma
      R B G S
punctuation: Correction (Asterisk)
punctuation: Paragraph
  P    F
punctuation: Period (.)
     F P L T
punctuation: Question Mark
ST P H
Vowel sounds
Vowel A
A
Vowel A (Long)
A  EU
Vowel Aw
A   U
Vowel E
   E
Vowel E (Long)
AO E
Vowel I
   EU
Vowel I (Long)
AO EU
Vowel O
O
Vowel O (Long)
O E
Vowel OI
O EU
Vowel OO
AO
Vowel OU
O  U
Vowel U
    U
Vowel U (Long)
AO  U
This is just a basic list of combination most commonly used by stenographers, but theories can change, and each chord can be customised according to the computer-aided translation dictionary being used.
A key combination can stand for different things depending on whether it appears on the initial side of the syllable or the final. In example, you would write
e for the eh sound, b, g, and s for the ending x sound of the first syllable, a for the short a sound, pl for the final M, and p for the p sound, and l for the ending sound.
Ebgsaplpl--Notice how the combination p and L repeat. The first PL stands for the final M, but the second one stands for the ending consonants of the word P and L. This would require you to make two separate strokes, since you can't hit PL twice without letting go first.
Sometimes, the initial Z is commonly chorded by pressing all the keys of the left hand to avoid thousands of possible conflicts.
Also, if a word has more than two syllables, it is common to use the initial consonants for the first half of the syllable and then use the ending consonants towards the second half of the syllable. They are divided by the vowels in between. In the case where the word starts with a vowel, the ending consonants are used at the end of the syllable before another syllable is written.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2015-05-03 17:52:24

wow. that sounds confusing lol

2015-05-03 21:25:21

Steve, you probably want this excellent tool by Pontes

http://www.pontes.ro/ro/divertisment/ga … rd-1.0.exe

2015-05-04 00:18:42

I downloaded his programme, and it's definitely interesting! I might share it with my friend.
But anyhow, I hope you're able to benefit from the information I gave you before. I might blog about it in the future.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2015-05-04 02:11:47

That's a lot to learn... crazy how people are able to do it.

End racism
End division
Become united

2015-05-04 07:25:19

Actually, repetition is the key to lea something, and using lay terms is easier as well. Don't worry, it'll get less overwhelming once you get used to it.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2015-05-04 16:08:28

Thanks Defender, I'll certainly check that one out.
As for stenography, I wish I had one of them machines, or that one such program was available for pc. That would take, er, 5 or 10 minutes out of writing a blog post? As a matter of fact, most of my posts are 3 to 400 words, and if you can type 350 words per minute with that then... well that would make it quicker. I could also see using this method of writing to code... but that might turn out more disastrous than useful. big_smile
Anyways I'm really interested in this topic. the whole concept sounds neet.

2015-05-04 17:18:37

I've heard of the interesting theory behind stenography, and I do find the correspondance to phonemes quite unique particularly sinse I was first taught to read by my mum entirely in phonetics and so have developed a real liking for the sounds of words, including trying to make up pronunciations for fantasy names and languages with non standard English (or even Roman), phonemes, like some of the names david eddings uses such as Cthol murgos or sthis tor (one I particularly like sinse it's so evocative for a people who worship a snake god).

My problem with stenography as represented however, is I don't see the correspondance between some of the letter combinations and the phonemes they represent. For example tp and f in my brain are just two different sounds and I make them differently with my mouth, so trying to represent one as another just feels like an arbitrary code to me. Plus of course as with the hole dvorak thing, having attained a pretty high typing speed with qwerty, indeed fast enough to hold conversations using supernova if I really push, I am not certain on the bennifits of the gigantic learning curve involved. yes, it would be possible with enough time and dedication, but compared to say other things I could be learning such as a different language or a musical instrument I don't see the final bennifit over what I have now being worth as much to me personally, despite the fact as I said I do find the theory interesting in terms of it's correspondance to the sounds of speech.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-05-04 19:08:03 (edited by Green Gables Fan 2015-05-04 19:13:04)

Hi Steve,
I forgot to mention that there is a free and open-source programme that you can try. I don't have a direct link to it right now, but if You Google 'Plovr Steno Project' click on the first result. If you have trouble downloading it let me know. It's supposed to work with QWERTY keyboards, but they recommend you use a gaming keyboard with N-Key-rollover, or NKRO. This basically allows you to press multiple keys at once, since keyboards send a type of code rather than the character being pressed. That's why it's easy to change keyboard layouts without having to change any hardware components.
I have questioned the theory behind stenography myself, and not having come up with the answer is frustrating, especially since r and B can't possibly make the sh sound. I almost think it was meant to be written in such a way that certain people could read it. I'd have to look this up in more detail. Also, there's another type of chorded keyboard called the Velotype or Vorbate. It's supposed to print out syllables, instead of sounds and phrases.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2015-05-04 22:53:21

Well as I said Ggf, if it works so randomly with rb as the s sound etc, then to me it is more a code sequence than really something useful for thinking about the language in a phonetic sense, and thus possibly less interesting.

As I said, what I love doing is making up sounds and names, and of course I enjoy those fantasy authors  who do the same, for example in Memory sorrow and thorn  by Tad williams, the troll language uses words with c, k and q, however it's stated that though all of these use the same hard k sound as in English, the sound is more pronounced for a k than a c, and for the q sound it's so hard it has a slight click.

Also, many Sithi words williams used a quotation mark to represent a throat click similar to the x in some african languages, and though he recommends in the pronunciation guide not trying this (and most audio readers pretend the ' doesn't exist in sithi words), I put it in, so the main castle, Asu'a, though most people pronounced as Asua, I pronounced as asu click ah, with the extra click consonant in betwene the u and the a, so the word was three sillables instead of two.

Hope this makes sense. That sort of thing I always find fascinating, trying to invent sounds and phonemes and insert them into names or places, and listening to how language is pronounced  and how different words sound, indeed that's one of the things I enjoy most about being a singer.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-05-05 02:20:55

My keyboard has 10-key rollover, and yes i have extensively tested it, ahah. It's the Razer Blackwiddow Ultimate Edition. And My typing speed using that pontes keyboard tool utterly sucks, coming in at around 50 to 60, I don't know what happened that its that bad, it used to be better. I agree with Dark in that the reason it seems os daunting to learn is that the phonemes listed above do not bear any representation of the actual sounds in my mind so that would make learning more difficult.

End racism
End division
Become united

2015-05-07 14:20:12

Hi all,
Well, I finally got my NKRO keyboard, which allows me to hit up to twenty-six keys without any ghosting. That's when a key fails to work when other keys are in the way. I got to try out plover, and I got to write my first sentence.
Hello, world.
The q, w, e, r and t keys are s, t, p, h keys in steno.
The a, s, d, f keys are s, k, w, r keys.
The c, v, n, and m keys are a, o, e and u vowel thumb keys.
The u, I, o, p keys are f, p, l and t, followed by the left bracket key, which is D.
The j, k, l, semi colon, and apostrophe keys are r, b, g, s and z.
You would write hello, world by typing h e l, r n o, then you would write lo, which is hr, or r and f, followed by the V key.
World would be written by typing d, v, j, o, and for the D, you would put your pinky on the left bracket key.i did this using Plover.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy