2015-04-21 16:36:46

Hello,

For awhile now I've been working on a program I call Utilities. Since I'm still at a basic level of programming I can't do too complex things yet, but here's what we have so far.

It runs in a command window (like command prompt) but I promise, it's not evil like that.
For example, the program has a complete menu with up/down navigation, home/end go to the top or bottom of the menu just like in Windows, escape exits, enter selects.
Because the version I'm working on is so much better than the public version, I'll post the beta if enough people are interested.

Utilities can do the following, some things easier than others:

View date and time
Simple txt document reader (needs work to improve)
Stopwatch (need to see if I can clean up time reading a bit)
Have your own text made into an audio file for use in other projects or whatever
simple note taking (needs a small amount of work, currently changing notes storage location)
letter creator from a simple wizard
Internet search, search something and it opens in the internet browser
Audio player: play audio files of many different types (allows m4a files to be played without any extra software installation on Windows XP!)
Convert your txt files to audio (useful if you need to study a lot of material or make an audio book)
and a very simple timer.

This program has many real-world uses as well.

All you need is the .net framework 4.0/4.5, which if you're on 7/vista/xp, you can install the files from Utilities folder. For windows 8/8.1/10 it will install it automatically for you.
Feel free to send comments, suggestions or questions.

Thanks,

Brandon

2015-04-21 20:15:56

verry usefull please send it as sune as you are done making it

2015-04-21 20:34:05

post beta ASAP!

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2015-04-21 22:50:07

@btman16, Can you define "it runs in a command line window?" If it runs using ncurses or another console-based GUI tool like Dialog, NVDA and other screen readers won't exactly co-operate very well with it - unless you use speakup, of course - which functions quite well with Dialog/ncurses. However, if its just a program that runs as a GUI on Win32/MAC/Linux, then we're good to go.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-04-21 23:34:43

Hello,

Wow, many of you are interested! smile
Thanks for that. So, let's see.

Due to the fact I'd kept Utilities v2.00 "behind closed doors" with some amazing testers, I put in a little varification scheme to prevent anyone from using the beta, so that if it gets disclosed the contents won't be revealed.

How would you like the beta?
Would you like it in its current form right now? Note that this will require you to run it in administrator mode the first time, and you'll have to enter in the 7 digit number.
Or, would you like me to disable the security check for this beta?

Note that for each subsequent beta, we do re-enable the security for future tests.

Note too, that I will have to modify some code if you choose to have the security system removed.

To clarify, it runs just like cmd.exe, oh, and when you up/down arrow through the menu NVDA reads blank, I'm unfortunately not sure what to do about that at this time.

I'm warning you, this thing isn't 100% there. Even the official version isn't.

And, when the program opens you will hear/read:
Utilities version 2.0 beta. The 31st of March, 2015, or something like that. Whatever date it reads, is the date this version was built. As I'm trying to make the program as non-technical as possible, we use this instead of builds like 2.0.15.

Thanks,

Brandon

2015-04-22 01:27:14

I'd like the security system disabled, because there is absolutely no way you're going to give out the 7 diget varafication code.

-id software, 1995

2015-04-22 01:51:42

Hello,

All right, that sounds good.
I will post back with your beta information shortly.

Thanks,

Brandon

2015-04-22 02:21:10

Hello,

I'm happy to inform you that your beta is ready. However, I ran into something unexpected when building. Basicly all my computer have windows 10 on them, and my compiler told me .net framework version 4.6 and 4.5.
Can someone please test on a non-windows 10 system as soon as possible so I know if I need to change something?
To make sure I don't miss anything I'm pasting in the email I wrote to some of my testers, but it has been modified to fit this forum.
We are in testing for version 2.0, which will hopefully be released in a few months time.  We have a huge release ahead of us.  The new changes so far from version 1.71 are:
 1.  The date and time option will show the date and time in a much better format.
2.  The audio file from txt converter now plays a sound when the audio file has been saved.
3.  In the menu at the beginning, you can now press volume keys to change system volume, and you will get feedback on the volume with a beep sound. Note that this may not work on some models of computers, though most I've tested seem to work.
Also pressing the mute key will not count as an error anymore.
4.  If you need to go to the start menu, this is now possible; pressing the windows key in the menu is no longer taken as an invalid key.
5.  The file reader has a new help option.  When asked for a file, type help and press enter for explanations on the file paths etc.  This replaces the older file locations.txt file.
6.  The create an audio file of some text option now places the files in a subfolder called audio.
7.  Some prompts have been reworded.
8.  Create an audio file of some text option will now automatically make the file a wav file.  You no longer need to enter file.wav, just enter file.
9.  The search google option in the menu is now search the internet, as we have added a duck duck go item to the search menu, so now you can use either Google or Duck Duck Go.
10.  Formatting issues with the letter creator have been identified and corrected.
11.  When exiting the program you will now receive a warning message, asking if you really do want to exit.  Pressing y for yes will exit the program.  Pressing any other key will return you to the menu.
12.  A new option, a very simple timer, has been added to the menu.
13.  The audio player has been expanded to be able to play more than just wav files.  You can play these files, plus some of the following:
mp3, wma, mid, wmv, mp4, m3u, asx (internet stream file) and others.
14.  Note taking option now uses a new sound for the new line.
15.  The menu sound has changed slightly.
16.  After the message in the audio player saying to enjoy the audio file appears, the delay before the file actually plays has been shortened dramatically.
17.  The beep heard when Utilities is launched has been shortened.
18.  In the menu at the beginning, you can now press the home and end keys to go to the top or bottom of the menu.
19.  Some text on the title bar has been updated in a few places.
20.  Starting with later Utilities 2.0 betas, and for all future betas, you must install an appropriate authorization on your computer for beta access.  This involves entering a certain code, which you only have to do once, even if new betas come out. Note, I have removed the authorization scheme from this particular beta.
21.  The readme document now contains information on system requirements and more troubleshooting scenarios.
22.  Utilities will now come with .net installers for windows xp, vista and 7 in case Utilities can't find the .net framework 4.0 installation.
For Windows 8 and up, this is not needed, as the files will be downloaded from Windows Update.
23.  Utilities now has a new context sensitive help system accessed from the menu.  If you are unsure of what an option in the menu is for, or how you might want to use it, press h to get information.
24. Notes are saved into a "notes" folder inside your documents folder.
25. The speech reader and txt to audio options now place the files in an audio folder in the same folder as Utilities. Note: this is where some of the inconsistency is in the beta, we need to work on this.
As you can see, we are doing a lot with Utilities 2.0 and we are still a few months away from release.
Download your beta:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/782 … _0beta.zip

Enjoy!

2015-04-22 04:44:40

thanks! it reminds me of keysoft (braille note) and guide for the pc.

-id software, 1995

2015-04-22 13:19:37

Hi there,
About that, it does remind me of Key Soft. That was kind of worked out that way. I didn't actually intend to do that. I'm glad its working for you.

2015-05-12 03:24:06

Hello there,

I thought it might be cool to see what some of you managed to create or do with this program. So if you have something you want to share, feel free to post.
smile What do you think of the current beta?

Thanks,

Brandon

2015-05-13 00:17:14

Hey Brandon. I'd be interested in this man. I was wondering if you could make your audio player be able to change the speed, tempo and both at once like maplyer did? I miss that program soooo much. smile

2015-05-21 00:04:49

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply to this.

Unfortunately, at this time, I have to say that your request for the speed/tempo adjustment in the audio player is not going to be possible.
However, I will definitely keep this in mind as I learn more about programming, as I'm still at a very basic level.

There are still a number of things I want to pach up before the 2.0 version goes live in June (I plan to have it reviewed by a tester a few days before release time).
I still have to implement internet audio playing support.

Thanks,

Brandon

2015-09-03 22:35:48

Hello everyone,

I'm back with some great news on the Utilities program.
First of all, however, sorry for such a long delay without posting on this topic. I have been spending time preparing Utilities 2.0 for its public launch, and I am happy to say that it is now available for download from
http://btprojects.samtupy.com/utilities.zip

Also, I have a main page at:
http://btprojects.samtupy.com
where you can see the goal behind this and other projects I will be creating.

Finally, on samtupy.com, under the Awesome Tech Podcast, you can hear an audio overview of the new content in Utilities 2.0, as well as a little surprise which I'll save for when you listen to the podcast.

I hope you enjoy Utilities 2.0, and feel free to contact me with any questions or comments.

I would like to thank Sam Tupy for kindly providing me a space for Utilities and any future projects.

Thanks,

Brandon

2015-09-04 01:09:18

Hey, If you want, I can  help you with some new features. I was thinking that if you wanted, I can make a windows installer that actually will install this on it, so people, for instance, DARS, or other blind service organizations can install a cvopy of windows that is modified to run utilities at startup. You would have to add me to skype, and then we could talk about a way to do it.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2015-09-04 02:21:31

Hello,

I thought about making some sort of an installer but never thought about making it run at startup. That would be awesome if that could be possible.

I will definitely see about making this happen.
I was wondering if such an option to make it run at startup would be optional (i.e. The user can choose to have it run at startup or not)?

Thanks again for the great suggestion.

Thanks,

Brandon

2015-09-04 03:56:17

No, I mean, as a shell. Contact me on skyjpe at tyler.chambliss1 if you want

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2019-11-10 08:57:56

Hello. Anyone know if this program is still in development? I was looking through my old posts just for anyone that says something about reviving an old topic. Thank you.

2019-11-10 16:12:42

Probably not, I think that user left the forum a long time ago. If the link is down, chances are it’s not being developed anymore.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2019-11-10 17:42:22

Brandon's last development was in the end of 2018, and the link is still up. However, the last update for utilaties was in 2017. I really want to know what language that was coded. in.
Oh also. The link is: www.btprojects.jc-hosting.me