2015-04-14 23:46:51

Hey dark. What would you say to the way of resting from shades of doom? Maybe the characters can slowly heal over time as they progress through the dundgin. Then it would eliminate the resting feature completely, and you could just automaticly heal as you're going through. I must say though, to back up resting in entombed 1, it didn't work on mangled or chattered body parts, so resting wouldn't be totaly game breaking. It also didn't get rid of zomby rot, the only effect it got rid of was poison. Only if resting healed you completely and got rid of effects and healed mangled and shattered parts, would it then be considered game breaking. It would make it a whole lot easier though.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2015-04-15 01:08:09

The problem with this garret is that didn't apply if you got really hurt in shades of doom.
Yes you could autoheal but it was so slow it was not fuzzing worth waiting for it to do anything.
In sod trying not to get hit is what I do.
in the earlier levels up to level 4 you can avoid getting hit, well blobs and those 2 gunners on level2 with the amo that's hard ish.
After level 3 though you have people jumping out the walls with guns at your face and rats and stuff.
And once you get past level 6 every monster or just about every monster will be armed.
Luckily I have the cheats so I can kill every monster, I have always cheated to win with the bosses and I have always killed the time monsters to because I want to and cheated for that part.
It wouldn't really work for entombed that much because especially in entombed 1 bar a few with bows most of the attacks are bladed in nature not with guns.
It wouldn't work as well as it could have and I am not sure about even that.
Even with sod's short comings I do play it not often but a lot enough to keep my version updated.
Another thing I'd like done with mods is have the ability to have mods in a sub folder and or something so you could go to a mods menu and select one to play.
Hmmm the engine being free but you would have to pay for the story mode interesting.
I'd like the modding creation to be free and you buy the actual game.
Or what about have the game story a basic one and you buy the ability to mod.
it would be another way.
Then again look at duke 3d yes you brought the game engine itself and the game itself but the files to mod it bar a few restrictions were opensource released.
including configurations taunts and external sounds.
You really could change the game.
In superliam1 you sort of can do this, but you still have to play the game the same you can change the story and that's good.

2015-04-15 01:19:15

Hello Dingo.
I've been thinking about your problem with iOs and your probably right apple won't let you use lua with entombed 2. But I've thought of something with iOs you could have an in game mod creator that would let you add sounds and things like that. This way you could get around apple's restrictions.
Then with all the other platforms mac, windows, android, linux and whatever else you just use lua in those since I don't think google or any others would have a problem with it.
Btw, if you need somebody to write a storyline so you can focus on development I would be happy to do it for you.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2015-04-15 01:50:12

@post 39 what you said is what I meant. Just letting you edit the text files. THe engine just means the program, minus the story mode.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2015-04-15 07:18:12

@Briant, why should there be a discount for those who own the first game? remember this isn't entombed version 2.0, it is entombed ii the skeleton tower, it takes place in a different dungeon and from what Jason has said will have some very major differences to the original Entombed.

It's something entirely new, albeit based on what we know, and so I don't see why a discount for those who bought the first game would be needed.

@Garret, shades of doom and Entombed are entirely different games. It would presumably be possible to go through the entire shades of doom without being hit if you were good enough, that is not the case for entombed. All resting over time would do would, as Crashmaster said mean you ended up sitting around for long periods after each fight recovering which is exactly what we were trying to avoid with the resting discussion. You do however bring up a good point about resting in the original game not curing some conditions. If the meals or safe places method of limited rests was used, then it seems resting probably should not cure conditions, as then managing meals and managing curative potions would be another part of the game to consider. If however either Jason's thought about the party being restored after each fight (not an idea I am personally keen on but obviously it's Jason's game), then it seems resting should heal conditions sinse if the challenge is just getting through the one encounter, then the conditions are part of that encounter.

if a rest vs reward system (or even a rest vs punishment system though again I'm not a fan of that), was introduced, then i'd suggest rests do cure zombie rot and such, because that would again encourage players to make their way through the dungeon, reattaching limbs and curing rot as they can as far as they can to earn more rewards.

Btw, I also do think curative potions for status effects should be more common, but perhaps to compensate there should be other bad status effects as well, eg, acid that burns you, slime poisoning that temporarily gellifies your lims, fear that causes you not to be able to act etc.

@Guitarman, the point of modding is to allow freedom with the game, thus I don't think a streight up creator would allow this. For example, suppose I wanted to create a unicorn enemy with the special attack skewer which did pennetrating and holy light damage to the target, caused the limb or torso involved to be "speared" meaning it was severely injured but took extra rounds to recover from as the unicorn finished it's charge and whieled around. All of that would require some quite extensive playing with the properties of attacks, creating a new skewered condition, adding damage types, and likely adding the inactivity of the unicorn afterwards. that would effectively mean programming a new attack and condition into the game with new properties, albeit the programming would be done in an English like language and would be more like spelling out what I want.
that sort of customization just wouldn't be possible with a "insert text and sounds here" type of approach.

Plus of course, getting! sound files onto an Ios device is a pest anyway due to Apple's silly policy of hiding the filing system (I know there are ways around but they're not convenient).

If there were an Ios version it'd probably either just be the main game, or have the ability to download mods from a central server or database, but I couldn't really see mod creation being a thing on Ios.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-04-15 07:58:07

Yes, I don't think mods could be supported on mobile. For an IOS release, it would be the main game only. PC and Mac could mod though.

The resting mechanic is still up in the air. I like the idea of getting worn down and awarding better rewards for riskier or calculated advances. This will probably be fleshed out over time and testing.

I have an idea for bindable actions. For the number row, you could assign a spell or action to a number. Then instead of using the menu system in combat, you can just press the number to activate the skill or spell. Assigning them could be as easy as pressing the number when the action is selected in the combat menu.

Jason

2015-04-15 09:17:23

I liked the resting feature. Besides when you rested there was always a chance you could be attacked mid rest so you weren't completely safe. I can't count the times that happened to me.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2015-04-15 11:58:45

@Bryan, being attacked during resting is a point, though for some reason that never bothered me in Entombed 1.

@Jason, as I said I'm a fan of the winning streak idea, because it both encourages calculated risk as you said, and also means there are always new things to achieve in the game, plus it would be interesting to have the possibility of acquiring better quality items at lower levels.

As regards the number row, personally I always used the number row for body part targeting rather than the numbpad. This is sort of generally a thing with me, sinse I learnt computing mostly on laptops, and even on a desktop usually have all of the supernova speech commands on the numbpad so don't really use it in programs, but it's just a preference.

One other thing to consider, especially if the "how far can the player go without wussing out and returning to town for a complete heal" type of mechanic is used, is what part town plays in the game.

The entombed one economy got a little crazy, even the  most awsome splendid enchanted steel items wouldn't fetch much either in town or in the shops in the dungeon, but then the town shop would rarely have anything useful, heck even healing or mana potions were ten a penny, though if (as I hope), more status effects and potions to cure them get added to the game this could change because then consumables could be more necessary.

One system I rather liked is that in Anband. there are 6 basic shops such as the armourer and blacksmith, the general store selling food and torches (sinse both light and food are things in that game), a mage's supply shop, a temple and an alchemist selling potions, but then there was the black market.

as you went down the dungeon, each of the six shops would have items approximately your level, the same sort of thing you could find on your current floor. The black market however was a wild card and could have either far better or far worse items, however at ten times the price.

Angband also has a rather nice option, that you can either cart stuff up to the surface to sell, (a dicy proposition given Angband's limited inventory space), or use the "nosell" option which makes it impossible to sell to shops, but vastly increases the amount of gold you loot from enemies, find in chests or can dig out of mineral semes in the wall.

I'm not sure what would be good for entombed, but I do like the idea both of the black market as a way of getting other stuff, and I admit I do like the option to simply find treasure in the dungeon rather than carting a truck load of enemy weapons around to sell.

Btw, what do people think about light? I know Entombed one didn't have a light source in the game, but it always did strike me as a bit odd, and if we're talking in terms of abilities to find secret doors, look out for traps in the dungeon and distinguish things that are hidden maybe light should be considered  as needed, at least for some races (sinse most humans don't do well at finding things in the dark without the practice some people have), actually thinking about it having  most races either need light or need to see in the dark but then having some classes have a "blind search" ability which meant they could get on without could be sort of amusing and again, mean more environmental interaction.

Oh yes and if you couldn't tell I'm very! excited about this game big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-04-15 21:02:32

Hi.
@Dark, I know what modding is I only suggested a mod creator on iOs to get around apple's annoying restrictions.
@Dingo, your probably right iOs versions wouldn't be able to be modable easily. But with android you could mod no problem since android has none of apple's restrictions. The only problem with android is you would have to modify the modding system to account for the touch screen. Other than that with those three operating systems after you write up entombed it's smoothe sailing.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2015-04-15 22:27:14

Another resting mode could be that of erric the clerric, or paliden, or BK1, you get the point. Of course, there are no beds in a dundgen, however, grass or sand on the dundgen flore could pass as a bed. Ah yes, resting on a pile of trass, that's what people could use as beds! Lol! Nah but really, what do you think about that resting methed. I know that wounds kind of crazy, but I have to admit, so am I. Lol.

TWITCH

2015-04-15 23:18:56

@Garret, It's not so much whether your party rest in beds or just cherry picking from other games when thinking about mechanics as thinking what works. Both Airic and paladin had a large overworld structure with some safe regions you would return to to rest and resupply before heading out into dangerous dungeon areas. Entombed however pretty much is one entire dangerous dungeon area.

Lack of beds isn't the issue, after all at a pinch people can sleep anywhere (remember the fellowship having a snooze in the guard room in the middle of Moria in lotr?), it's more how things work related to the rest of the game, sinse in Entombed unlike airic and paladin (and I believe bk although I've not played that game), there is no set of safe areas you return to after completing a dungeon, the entire game is one huge dungeon with only a single town which you have only limited access to (remember how your recall amulet used to have to recharge?).

Hence the winning streak mechanic, though having a few safe camp areas that could restore a little hp as a randomly occurring, discoverable bennifit for exploring side passages might be another nice thing to have, sinse one thing I am always a fan of is to make the explorable environment as full of good things as bad.

2015-04-16 00:27:38

Garrett actually reminded me of something that bears consideration. In the old video game The Immortal, widely regarded as one of the most difficult games ever since most of the enemies and traps could kill you instantly if they touched you, each level had a straw bed that you could rest in to restore yourself to max. The catch was that you could use it only once. Mabe asimilar mechanic couldbe used in Entombed, where you might have a few safe resting spots in each level where you would never be attacked while you were resting, the catch being that you might only be able to use each a few times. The youcould stillahve the ability to rest wherever, though of course with the knowledge that you might suddenly be attacked before your rest was complete.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2015-04-16 02:30:14

Yeah. But, I guess we'll just have to see what Jason comes up with.

TWITCH

2015-04-16 04:29:34

Lol, in quickly glancing at the start of the thread, this looks fantastic! Keep up the great work, you've got my support, at least! Looking forward to it.

I like to fly! I especially like to fly passed burning debris! wait, that's me isn't it. how unfortunate.
Hit me up on skype!
powergamer8

2015-04-16 07:40:46

Some dungeon navigation updates. Navigation is one thing I'm greatly looking forward to improving over Entombed 1. So I've just written a dungeon generator and it works like this:

The main thoroughfare is circular. You can go left or right and you will reach the stairs to the next floor and loop around. These exits may be guarded.

Along the main route are doors to the north and south. These lead to discrete passages that might be self contained or they might meet up with other doors' passages. You can quickly return to the main route without getting lost and each door leads to at least one room, maybe more. Rooms are where interesting things happen. Battles, treasure, and so on.

So imagine a long hall with curious doors on either side. This is the Entombed 2 dungeon layout. If you're confident, you can head right for the exit, provided you can defeat the guards (if there are any.) Or you can spend some time exploring the side passages for battles and treasure. Returning to the main path is easy and there will be a unique footstep sound so you know you're on the right track.

I wrote the generator in a Lua script, so aspiring players in the future can change it or write their own if they want. You could make it more like Entombed 1 or have it make giant sprawling caverns.

2015-04-16 07:46:24

Wow... Sounds so cool.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2015-04-16 11:59:59

@Dingo, nice idea for a mechanic, I do like the idea of calculated risk as regards exploring side turnings and of making the hole thing navicable, it actually does tie in to the  winning streak resting mechanic especially if there are traps and such in the side turnings, though I'll be interested to see how the stair guards work, particularly sinse that would mean characters won't always be at the same level all the time, I really didn't like the way in Entombed 1 you ran out of experience levels about three floors short of the bottom of the dungeon and were just wandering around looking for the final boss.

rooms also allow individual room descriptions which would be nice as well. The only issue I see with the system is with a circular path with side turnings a "have I visited before" key would be even more necessary than with the original entombed, sinse obviously with a circular path it'd be easier to miss side turnings you'd not explored, ---- assuming you wanted to. I'd also suggest having the door sounds shift in pitch the way wind sounds did to indicate whether a door was in or out from your current location on the circle. Even in original entombed it was sometimes possible to go through the wrong door, and with a circular pathway that loops that might be even more likely especially sinse those inner and outer doors are going to be so much more important.

@Bryan, the idea from the Immortal is sort of what I was thinking with my limited meals idea, though there you wouldn't have to trudge back to one specific area sinse the meals would be in your inventory and you could use them whenever, though equally having limited use campsites discoverable while exploring might be a possibility as well. I'm afraid I disagree though on bringing back anything like the resting mechanic from the first gamee sinse as I said it was far too easy to just rest after every fight and at least most of the time resting had no penalty and just took your time up.

If your going to have that sort of mechanic you might as well just have you start each fight with %100 health and no conditions anyway sinse all resting did was needlessly lengthen the amount of time you spent sitting around waiting, though personally as I said I'm not a fan of that idea sinse it feels so artificial.

2015-04-17 00:36:08 (edited by themadviolinist 2015-04-17 00:38:11)

If you're going to have a resting mechanic, you need a cost, and having random encounters that interrupt it isn't really all that high a cost.  I would prefer tying resting to the need for food and taking extra time so that your food doesn't last as long.
Another question, is there going to be a means to protect particular characters, so that you could choose to some extent who acts as tanks and who is the hitter from behind?

2015-04-17 02:11:19

Sounds fantastic!  This is going to be a great game.

Want to order food, but can't get out? Try this .
https://postmat.es/Tw5eUTrBn4

2015-04-17 04:42:15

@Dingo, please check your PMs. I just sent you one.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-04-17 07:33:17

@Violinist, I agree on both counts, if resting is in the game it must have some stratogy, and one of the major problems with the first entombed is that your big plate armour wearing fighter had just as much chance of being attacked as your cloth tunic wearing mage, which meant spending points on armour very pointless and meant that combat was so ridiculously offense based it wasn't funny.

I am fairly certain though jason will fix this sinse it was one of the most common complaints with the original entombed. Myself, the system i always liked was assigning your party to a front/back rank, with each rank needing at least one person. Those on the front had a %75 greater chance of being attacked, while those on the back were more likely to miss with melee attacks (though magic and ranged weapons would be unaffected. This could produce some interesting tactics, particularly if there were techniques especially designed to mess with the rank system, eg a barbarian or paladin might have a charge technique which let them hit someone on the back rank, or the brawler might have a "push" tecnique which caused someone on the enemy's back rank to be pushed to the front where other characters could wale on them in melee.
Another idea might be to have everyone have a "protect" setting like the paladin ability in entombed but being perminant and not taking up technique points or causing extra damage to the protector, where you could specifically assign one character to protect and take attacks instead of another. That could have some fun options particularly if you could change who was protecting who during each battle, eg, you start with your fighter protecting your mage, but then your thief gets waled on so your fighter has to change duty, then your fighter finds themselves in dire streights so your mage has to take up protecting and take a couple of hits while your fighter quafffs a healing potion. You could also have fun designing techniques and spells around this, eg maybe the ranger's true shot can hit  it's target irrispective of who was protectingwho,  or maybe thieves get a backstab ability for this purpose, or perhaps paladins get a shield block ability where they don't just take melee hits for their target but have an increase chance of blocking them with their shield and reducing damage.
What Jason will go for we'll see,but sinse this was such a major issue in Entombed and something that did cause real problems in game balance I'm fairly sure it'll be resolved here.

2015-04-17 08:45:30

@ethin, I got the PM, thanks.

I haven't started on combat in Entombed 2 yet, but it will be completely redesigned. What were Entombed 1's best features in combat that you want to keep around? A few things I liked that will be staying are characters with a primary and secondary class abilities and the system that determined the order of attackers.

Things I'm uncertain of or possibly removing: having to press a key to target body parts, multiple hit points for various body parts, hardness comparisons between armor and weapons, having to sift through items at the end of battle, among others.

As for who gets attacked, I'm considering a row system. An enemy can strike you with any weapon if you're in the front row. If you're in the second row, the enemy needs a long melee weapon (spear for example) or ranged weapon to strike you. If you're in the third row, you can't be attacked except by ranged weapons. A row is dynamic. You're only considered to be in a row back if there is a character in front of you. If the character has been eliminated, you are now the front row.

I might change that completely after testing it some though.

2015-04-17 09:14:02

@Dingo, I fully agree hardness needs tweaking, sinse that caused major issues further down the dungeon especially with ranged weapons and your wolf. However, one thing I did always like in Entombed was that armor reduced chances of taking damage rather than adding to your over all hp, I also did like the different material and creation options for weapons and armor sinse it did indeed feel that each item had some unique qualities to it, although given the object distribution in the dungeon you were never in too much of a situation where materials got compared, eg, on the first few levels you always found copper, further down you always found bronze, then iron etc.

I disagree however about the limb targeting system, I really liked that aspect of the game sinse it both lead to some very nice tactical options such as disarming your enemy by attacking their hands or knocking them down with attacks to the feet, not to mention whacks to the head, (though that could get a little broken with some techniques like ice blast and assassinate). It also always felt more realistic to me in terms of getting an idea of what an enemy was like to be able to target body parts than just being told "here is a goblin with so much hp, especially when you got to some of the crazier creatures like spiderss or etins.

I think what I liked best in Entombed was the fact that so much of the time the player was required to think on their feet and make the best of what they were given in terms of party, in terms of enemy distribution etc. It wasn't just a matter of minimaxing your equipment and skills and then hammering attack, you were always required to think what you were doing. for example, on one occasion I remember a beta build of the game where a code mistake ridiculously over powered the drake to insane levels to the point that it's fire breath was pretty much an instant killer.
I managed to defeat it by growing my ogre brawler and using takedown to keep the drake on the floor so it always got up rather than attacked, while my other characters alternated between chipping away at the drake's health and handing out the healing potions just in case the drake did attack. It was a long battle but it worked.

I definitely like the row idea, particularly if as I said we're going to have techniques that mess with the rows, especially for characters using shorter weapons, eg, a thieve's backstab.

My only question is if we're having three rows instead of two, what happens if a character on the second row gets taken out? Also, how do the rows relate to characters being knocked down but not necessarily killed? If a front row character were knocked down, would the second row become the front until she/he got up? Indeed, could the rows be reshufled in battle at all, so that if as I said above your fighter was in trouble she/he could duck behind your second row character.

Also, in Entombed one we had several occasions where computer controled characters fought on your side, your wolf, skeletons etc.  I did like that option sinse it lead to some interesting battles, and also had potention for extending, eg, extra pets to buy, computer controled mercinaries to hier in the town to help you out (not to mention all the fun with chalm spells). Would you be able to tab to a computer controled character and assign them a row? or would they do it for themselves?

2015-04-17 11:43:17

what I liked about the combat system:
conditions, such as charm, berserk and zombie rot. I especially liked charm's power.
Ways of learning new abilities besides choosing a secondary job. Mostly I'm talking about observe here. It would be cool if you could extend this idea, perhaps by putting teachers or guild masters in shops, or allowing people to learn slowly through the use of scrolls.
I think that there ought to still be a mechanic for melee protection besides just a straight number. For example, instead of hardness you might take a leaf out of Alter Aeon's book and make it easier by giving each weapon type a damage type of crush, stab, slice or whip, then armor would have protection against each of those. For example breastplates might not protect much against whips and pounds but would be very effective against slashing and stabbing. This would also open up the possibility of melee protection spells to harden one's body against certain damage types.
I think that sifting through enemy equipment is one of the cool parts of the game. Though there should be a bit more variety; I always thought it would be cool if every mob drop had like a 1 in 200 or 250 chance of having a prefix or suffix attached, similar to Alter Aeon's random items.
The row system is promising; indeed I was planning o put a similar system into Grave of Redemption.
Body part targeting is vital. It adds a certain degree of realism to the enemies you face; for example ettyns have 2 heads so it makes sense that you can target either one. If you do keep body part targeting in, it follows that body par hp has to stay as well, just because there's no real point of it otherwise. And as dark said it does add some strategy, though it actually probably makes everything easier to kill, since you can just atrget the head. The game mostly does become a process of hammering the attack button while holding down 8 for the non-boss and quest  enemies; the only time you really need to strategize is during boss fights. But maybe that's not a bad thing, especially if you're just trying to grind for experience, though that is also not too hard to come by.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2015-04-17 13:58:11

@keyisfull, I agree on keeping the body part system, and that conditions are awsome (albeit some like chalm and zombie rot were rather over powered), though I disagree on lack of tactics and just attacking the head always works, indeed this is probably again something where a bit of number tweaking would help.

I'm not sure about the damage conditions vs armor, sinse generally speaking you won't get a chance to change armour mid battle, or to look for armor with multiple resists, plus to be honest I always did dislike minimaxing inventory, after all medeival knights just buckled on what armour was available and went out to smack things with their individual skill carrying the day, they didn't agonize on whether the poor steel gauntlets were better or worse than the well crafted bronze gauntlets.

One thing that might be fun though to extend the damage idea might be having conditions of damage caused by different weapons with different effects, rather than just mangled or shattered. For example, a whip or flail might cause a welt, which would not do extra damage in itself but would make that limb or leg a bit less useful,ie, decrease speed or weapon hit chance if hit on the hands or legs. A piercing injury would be more likely to bleed, causing miner damage loss over time, while obviously blunt force traumer causes broken bones. Indeed, different weapons might be better at targiting different body parts generally, sinse axes and swords are probably far better at head chopping than spears, much less daggers.

On skills, observe was specifically a wanderer trick, and again is an area where Entombed should've probably added more observable skills for the wanderer to play with, however I am not sure about having extra skills and abilities learnable in game, not with the number of jobs required, sinse one thing I always liked about entombed was the need to balance what your party learnt in terms of techniques according to what other characters you had, ---- eg, assassinate is a pretty useless skill, but if you have someone who can put the enemy in a helpless state such as a brawler or a bard in your party can be brutal.

If however skills were freely available to learn, then class specializations and the need to build your characters to complement each other would be less effective, sinse hay if your druid/mage can learn to raise undead without taking the necromancer as a second job, what is the point of having a necro in your party.

The only way I could see learnable techniques working is either for a specific class like the wanderer that would  specialized in such things, or making the skills and spells you could learn  ones you couldn't get another way, and making them different in some way each game to make sure the game  preserved it's random feeling and you weren't just working your way through a set skill path.