2015-04-13 13:26:23

Great point about resting! It won't be done like Entombed 1. That type of resting mechanic is a bit old school now. There are a few ways I could solve resting.

1: You automatically heal after an encounter. This is how many modern RPGs do it now. The encounter is the challenge, and if you pass it, no need to micromanage your character - they're rested up automatically. With this in mind, encounters could be more challenging because the party will be known to be at full health. I think this makes them easier to balance too.

2: You can't rest. Your characters wear their damage until they've returned to a safe haven or healed by a battle action like a spell. This means the further you press on, the riskier the battles are. This could be difficult to balance. Some incentive would be required to urge the a player on. Better loot rewards? Bonus experience? This could be interesting, but a lot more thought would be needed.

2015-04-13 14:12:45

Well personally I do like a little resting for thematic purposes if nothing else, not to mention say finding a few good places like healing fountains or shrines in the dungeon sinse it makes it feel far more like exploring and far more worth risking if you might find something good. If I always go into every fight with %100 health I sort of feel the fights don't matter, that was why I made the meals suggestion.

One game I saw, puppet nightmares (a very interesting browser mmorpg with a nice combat system but rather too stat heavy in places and slightly lacking description), had a nice answer. There, each dungeon literally was just a set of fights. Each fight you finished successfully increased your winning streak counter, which increased the chances of finding good quality rewards after each battle. There was a heal button, which would completely heal your entire party, but using it reset your winning streak, though not your position in the dungeon, meaning that dungeons are a big game of chicken. (or at least until you can go in with an uba level party and just murder your way through regardless).

Something like that might be fun for Entombed ii, at least as far as increasing the  chance of quality rewards for each successful battle go until the player either bales out and rrests to recover everything, or reaches the end of that dungeon level, though as I said I still like the idea of occasionally finding good or helpful places in the dungeon as well meaning that risking exploration is part of your over all stratogy.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-04-13 14:37:07

Hi Ishan,
actually, Grave of Redemption is based off Entombed 1, the original game by this developer Dingo, whose real name is Jason Allen.
Even GOR in its current alpha state showed quite a lot of promising improvements and potential over the original Entombed that inspired it. I was honestly hoping for it to truly evolve further. Thus, the news about a sequel to Entombed being in the works just made my day! :-) I love to see you're still active. The game had such immense potential that was still not utilized that I really can't wait to see what you have in store for us in Entombed 2. :-) Keep up the great work!

I love the exploration concept you laid out, but I prefer Dark's idea of resting to yours. Both being auto-healed after an encounter and not being able to rest at all somewhat don't seem to suit the style of the original game, so to speak. I would personally prefer resting being a necessity but only limited to having a certain amount of meal on you or being currently located in a safe place, where there would only be one such spot in each floor, or something like that. The final decision is always up to you though, of course, and I'm sure that no matter what you decide to implement in the end, it will be a well thought out and balanced mechanic. Even Entombed 1 seemed very well balanced and pretty impressive to me.

I will be glad to support you along the way however I can. Would love to become a tester if needed as I have also played the original game extensively, and I also have an iPhone, so if an iOS version is ever going to be developed, I'd be able to help test it on that front as well.

I'm not sure what exactly would make it harder to port the game to other platforms if it supported the individual screen readers as opposed to it using  only SAPI, because both SAPI and the screen readers are specific Windows technologies. Linux uses Speech Dispatcher as the equivalent of SAPI and Orca as the equivalent of whichever proprietary screen reader you can think of, Jaws, Window-Eyes, NVDA, System Access, Hal or whatever. VoiceOver is also Apple specific software, as well as the built-in iOs voices that became available to developers in iOS 7 for direct output. The only platform I don't know anything about in this regard is Android, but I highly doubt its API for direct speech output would be similar enough to the Windows SAPI that it would be possible to utilize it directly using the same code on both platforms, or only with very minor modifications. My point is that as far as my limited knowledge goes, you would always have to use a different API for speech output on each platform anyway. I believe the various screen reader support libraries might be able to support Orca or VoiceOver alongside the Windows screen readers, but I'm not sure about that. Even if you used an universal wrapper library
though, the windows screen readers have the nasty limitation of you as the developer not being able to determine what text is currently being spoken at the moment, what has already been spoken and what is still left in the buffer, etc, so anyone I've ever seen trying to implement direct screen reader support in Windows audiogames has always had to resort to nasty hacks such as rough speech delay calculations in the end. In this regard, SAPI is certainly a better decision as it provides a much more precise degree of control and flexibility. Still, however, you would have to use the equivalent API in Linux/Mac/iOS/Android, making a wrapper library necessary, either of your own making or one that is already available on the internet.
Just my thoughts, I may be entirely wrong here, although I believe my information on this topic is at least semi-accurate. As a newbie audiogame developer, I would appreciate some clarification of this issue though.

Take care, and the very best of luck with the sequel! I'll be awaiting any further updates and news eagerly! :-D
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2015-04-13 15:37:46

@lukas, I believe Jason meant that he'd be using sapi on windows, and that ios/android ports would be problematic as separate issues, not as connected affairs. I would be interested in an ios port, but I don't particularly mind if it isn't ossible, indeed I'd much rather have a fully working and awsome windows version than time taken for an ios port as well. Don't get me wrong I love my Iphone, but I am quite happy having games for windows and games for Ios being separate entities and don't need to replicate my game library on every device to be happy.
Btw, I'm personally very excited on the modding possibilities and believe this will very much answer several cryticisms of the original angband. For example, want some more interesting monsters in the dungeon with unique attacks? bingo! want to change the location out of the dungeon? again, vuala! and of course with the possibility of people to create their own varient games and add things, the game's development could go on and on, heck some roguelikes that have allowed modding have been developed and are continually being developed now after about 20 years!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-04-13 17:25:17

Hi Jason,

Its great to hear that a sequel to Entombed is in the works.

You mentioned that you'd only use sapi on windows. Have you considered using the tolk library? Its at https://github.com/dkager/tolk

Its a new GPL licensed library for screen reader and sapi5 output that should do the heavy lifting for you, and it looks easy to use (though i haven't tried it yet).

2015-04-13 18:58:44 (edited by Stevie-3 2015-04-13 18:59:20)

Hi,
Just wanted to drop in and express my excitement, I love entombed, it was the first audiogame I ever bought, and I look forward to seeing the project continue.
Best of luck to you.

Stevie-3

2015-04-14 00:18:48

Hi.
Going a little off topic who made the toke library? I've been hearing a lot about it lately.
Anyway I was just thinking about entombed and I know this would be a lot of extra work but do you think you could make a choice between turn-based or real-time combat? I have never liked turn-based combat since it's just about in every mud out there. So at the beginning of the game you can choose what type of combat you want. I know this would take hard work but entombed with real-time combat would be awesome!

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2015-04-14 03:57:50

Good news! I've got loading external sounds working. Normally, this is an easy thing to add, but I'm using the Unity game engine to make porting to Mac and iOS easier, so it's a little tricker than normal. So you can add your own custom sounds now.

The main reason I want to use SAPI is its ease of use and universal distribution. It's easy to time sounds with SAPI and most implementations across platforms will be similar. I remember adding jaws support to Entombed and it was a real nightmare. The .DLL had no documentation and supported very little other that saying text. You had no idea if the speech engine was speaking, or how to time your game sounds, and only made everything messier.

I'll consider adding other libraries only if they are well supported (jaws certainly wasn't) and don't cause me to rewrite the engine. If I can reliably interrupt text, and poll if the engine is currently still speaking, I might be able to add it.

I'll have a look at that library.

2015-04-14 04:10:28

Tolk looks very interesting. I'll try and see if I can get it working. If so, then I'll make it the implementation on Windows.

2015-04-14 04:20:57

Clueless gamer question coming up.  Apologies in advance.  Heheheheh.

Concerning modding, if one person added a bunch of cool monsters, characters, items, etc., would those things only appear in that person's version of Entombed?  Or, does modding mean that any person could add monsters and things, and then everyone could see them in the game?

2015-04-14 04:49:48

Hi.
I'd like to say thanks for developing this. It sounds really cool, I can't wait until it's out! Is there a spot for testers, or is there an available consept demo? I'd love to try it out.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2015-04-14 07:19:00

@Mirage, modding in this case means modifying the game, either to create the same game but with some extra content added, or something entirely different.  The person who modded the game would then distribute his/her modded version around as a separate program, essentially as a completely different game from the standard entombed ii game.

That is the way that Angband and I believe other roguelikes work. There is the standard angband, Vanilla Angband as it is called, then there ar lots of varients, everything from extentions of the original game with new monsters, techniques, character races etc, to games that change the location from the Angband dungeon and o something else.

The only thing I wonder about is how modding will work if Entombed ii is a commercial game, will you need to have bought the game to play the mods? I'm not sure how this works on steam, but I'm certainly very much  in favour of paying for the gme if it would help jason acquire sounds etc as well as compensate him for  what he does (I definitely got my money's worth out of entombed 1).

2015-04-14 08:22:45

Another idea is that the engine itself could be free, but if you wanted to play the game story you'd have to pay for it. This would also encourage a quality storyline; I wasn't a big fan of the vague storyline in entombed 1. It would also expand the horizons of the game by allowing more people to create cool custom content.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2015-04-14 10:42:30

@Keyisful, that is a good idea, however it's not really how modding works. In games I've heard of modding being used like Angband, players don't get access to the game engine itself, ie, the underlying source code that does all the nuts an bolts type tasks like making sure souns play on time and linking all the files together. Players get a bunch of text files with the properties and descriptions of of in game objects  such as monsters, items etc, and some script files in an accessible scripting language (Jason already mentioned Lua), which they can then play with.

If you want a good example of modding, look at tactical battle.

I suppose Jason could create two versions, a paid version with all the content locked, and a mod version with just an example game and objects as code examples to work from, though that would make adding items to the original game somewhat difficult as  often modding involves additions to the original game rather than using the same engine to create new games, but we'll see what his plans aare around this.

One idea might be to set content limits. So, if it was like Entombed 1, even if you could mod the free version you could still only have up to 8 floors, 9 classes, and 15 different sorts of monster (I'm guessing on the monster numbers but I think there are about 15 different ones on the first 8 floors not counting heroes), while in the paid version you could be free to create as much content as you wanted, and only people with the paid version could run mods with more than the requisit numbers of specific things.

As to story sequences, well limited story is generally part of the roguelike genre,  they're all about wander into dungeon and kill boss with hugely complex mechanics and harsh death. However, I fully agree more atmospheric textual descriptions of monsters, items and areas in the dungeon would be a major plus and something which i did miss in the first entombed, after all it's far more scary when you know what a naal is and have a description of the dungeon floors getting more rocky, slimy and ominous as you go deeper (though as JAson said Entombed 2 is called the skull tower maybe we're going higher this time). then, if modding the game I am guessing it wouldn't be two difficult to have specific bits of text or background music play when the party reached specific points, meaning you could have something of an ongoing discovery. I'm not thinking a full on cyoa system here, just say specifying a floor and event and having that event read some text or play some music, for example floor 2 stairs: "this narrow, uneven set of steps plunges deeper into the gloom. Peering down in the light of your torch you make out what looks worryingly like blood stains, and hear a faint sound of voices from below, perhaps someone is in trouble"

2015-04-14 11:00:09

Hi.
Wow this is fantastic news regarding Entombed 2. I really hope there'll be a Mac release, and I hope to see an IOS release soon, but a Mac release would be awesome!

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2015-04-14 11:38:08

Hi Dark, Jason and all,

thanks for the clarifications. If the speech delay and sound timing issues are the main concerns when deciding whether to use SAPI or screen readers on Windows, then I understand it completely and agree that SAPI is a much better choice in this regard. Wonder if the Tolk library can handle this stuff with screen readers. As the screen reader apis themselves do not provide this kind of control, as far as I've heard, it would probably have to be done through some kind of weird and sophisticated hacks or something like that. :-D

The usage of Unity is probably good news when it comes to portability. I'm not a Mac or Linux user, so I can't join those who are excited about a Mac version, but I would be really excited if an iOS version was eventually developed as well. Although, just like Dark, I agree that I have no problem with having separate games for Windows and iOS. Cross-platform games are nice but it's just not possible or realistically feasible to port every single one of them for various reasons.

I have to admit I'm not much into game mods myself but I certainly appreciate these capabilities available in a game. I'll be curious to see what people come up with eventually, and who knows, maybe I'll even contribute a mod myself one day, although I was not very interested in this kind of thing before. The flexibility that the integration of LUA into the game would most likely provide might win me over. :-)

And I'm glad to hear you got custom sounds to work already! That will really open up immense possibilities to the players.

Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2015-04-14 13:11:09

Thanks to everyone who has said nice things about Entombed, despite its shortcomings.

I've integrated Tolk into the engine and it appears to be working. Tolk supports most of the popular screen readers (including NVDA) and SAPI. Many of the screen readers don't report their status though and also don't have a wait function. However, I think that being able to support them through Tolk is a big bonus, so I might just design the game where it doesn't need to wait for text.

As for IOS ports, it should be possible, but modding won't be. I'm not sure Apple will allow Lua in an IOS game, but I might be able to get past that by not using it dynamically.

Mods are optional, of course, but they can really extend the longevity of a game, and that's my primary goal. Entombed 1 also had this as a design goal. Re-playability is paramount.

I'm still a ways away from needing testers, but I'll definitely let you know when I do.

2015-04-14 14:30:27

@Jason: its great that you've got tolk it working. I was looking forward to using it myself in my project once the exams are over.

2015-04-14 14:32:19

@Dingo, How did you get Unity to be accessible and working for you? As far as I know, the Unity program itself is inaccessible with most, if not all screen readers.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-04-14 15:10:27

@Ethin, jason  isn't a blind developer, so he wouldn't have any of the access issues with unity programming you mention, just as Sander and Richard didn't when creating the tester game extant.

@Lukas, the advantage of mods is that rather than game content just being limited to what the developer can add, other people can create small or large changes and additions to the game. These could be as simple as having the central game as normal but adding a bunch of additional monsters with new abilities and spells to throw at you, adding new playable races or jobs, or as complex as changing all the in game text and monsters to create a completely different location to the entombed dungeon.

As I said, modable games like Angband and some other roguelikes have been going for 20 years and are still having new content written for them now.

2015-04-14 15:58:28

1 thing that I don't like though is how I won't be able to play on my mac, considering how my mac can only go up to lion, not all the way to Yosemite. And I wouldn't be able to play with my IPhone because as it stands, I've got an IPhone 4 that can only go up to IOS 7. But, I do have a good windows8.1 PC, so I should be good to go. Anyways, I used to dream of a game like this, I always had dreams about adding a car monster to the game, haha, that would be hilarious. Or, how about if I create a Minny dragon enemy, wow, there could be so many possibilities for this game, I don't even have any idea where I'd start. I'll be sure to buy this game when it comes out, providing I have enough money when it does come out. Keep up the awesome work.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2015-04-14 16:13:47

Thanks for the clarification, Dark.  I can't wait to see what Jason has in store for us this next go-round, and then what other players might come up with in the future.

2015-04-14 21:24:58

Here's a thought regarding resting, etc.  If the game were structured so that as time passed, the dungeon levels got harder, you would create a strategic consideration about whether or not to keep going, or take the extra time for healing, but making things harder when you returned.  Say you had an amulet of recall that you unlocked by liberating the village as in the previous iteration, but each time you use it to go back and get healed, restock perishable or expendable supplies, etc, the dungeon levels get harder, simulating perhaps a growing preparation for invasion that you're trying to forestall.
Building on this idea, each time you returned to the village, perhaps there's the possibility to recruit another low level character into your party.  Eventually, this could balance the increased difficulty of the levels as your recruit gains experience and skills.  It also gives you a way to recover from those fights where you lose everybody but one or two characters, still making things harder, but not making it necessary to start completely over unless you lose everyone.
Assuming you continue the multi-character party structure, I don't see how you could do real time combat, especially given that each character has multiple choices of skills to use.
I second Dark's request for increased interaction with the environment, such as traps, hidden resources, generally things for rogue-style characters to do other than be sneaky in a fight.  In fact, having the ability to use stealth, to separate out characters for scouting missions from the main party would be really cool.
The ability to add enemies, spells, equipment etc would be fabulous.
Can you tell I'm excited?

2015-04-14 22:07:35

@violinist, that is an interesting suggestion, that the dungeon levels get tougher as you progress. The problem though is this would need some major balancing, and I'm not sure recruiting low level characters would do it. Imagine you have a really tough fight that you only just get through so you decide to go back and rest. The problem however is then a few fights along the next level is tougher, so you need to go and rest again after finishing the fight, which would in turn make things tougher again, thus necessitating even more resting and so on onto a downward spiral. Methinks this sounds like a perfect way of increasing player frustration :.

Myself, if rests were factored into the generation of dungeon levels, I'd rather reward players for resting less than punish them for resting more, the way puppet nightmares does by increasing the chances of finding rare and valuable items the more fights you go on without resting.

On the recruitment angle, I fully agree extra characters to find and recruit lower down would be nice, but I'm not convinced on just having recruitment in the inn in town sinse thenit'd be far easy to treat characters as cannon fodder, or hange around until the game gives you a good combination. What I always liked about entombed and what made it such an extremely addictive game was the need to play with what you were dealt and make the best of it in terms of extra characters. If that meant a halfling fighter or an ogre mage so be it.

I'd suggest personally having chances of more characters appearing in the dungeon rather than at fixed points, and when rescued having a choice of whether characters continue on or not, though of course limiting the party size to prevent you acquiring an army. I'd also like to see some sort of costly resurrection other than skellification or the as yet rather buggy in Entombed reincarnation.

On the environment and roguery front, one thing I'd love to see in the game were characters specifically designed to be good with the environment but who would need protecting in combat (assuming that becomes possible). I think this was the intention with the thief and adventurer characters in the original Entombed, but unfortunately due to the hole chests and secret doors mechanic never really getting off the ground that didn't work out particularly well, however now is the chance to have lots of good stuff in the environment to play with and characters who have specialized in that.

One thing I was thinking about stealth is why not have an ambush skill, whereby if your sneaky character has ambush your party get to go first in combat and the enemy are less coordinated.

2015-04-14 22:07:46

Hi Jason.
This is very exciting news! I am so glad that you're back and still going strong.
I have 2 questions. 1: Have you made any pricing decisions yet? What I mean is will there be a discount for people that already have the full version of the first game? I'm not asking for 1, just curious. Secondly, will there still be a bazaar and stuff? I liked going in there to buy items.
I love the modding possibilities, this is something I'm really looking forward to. As others have said, it would be great if there was an IOS verson, though I will completely understand if it's not possible.
Thank you for all the work you do. You are an awesome developer!

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven